Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Did a factory reset, then used Wugs's tool to re-flash to stock 4.0.4, then allowed the OTAs to bring me up to the most recent Verizon version. Ran the root tool, installed su.zip, still no root. What's gotten cocked up, and how do I fix it??
Superuser is installed in your app drawer? If so, have you updated the binary from within the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Superuser is installed in your app drawer? If so, have you updated the binary from within the app?

When I try, it says that it failed to gain root access.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

When I try, it says that it failed to gain root access.
Follow the instructions on this page, I think Wug's tool failed to flash an insecure boot image.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Is there any reference available for which of the Samsung apps are safe to remove/freeze on the S3 like they have for laptops? I don't want to screw up any TW functions as I actually quite like it, but I've obviously replaced some of the dumb stuff like the Video Player/Music Player/Gallery.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Follow the instructions on this page, I think Wug's tool failed to flash an insecure boot image.

When I type "adb root", the command prompt says that "adbd cannot run as root in production builds". :wtf:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kensei posted:

This is the greatest DropBox feature in my opinion, it allows instant backup for all your pictures.

Annoying though when you take a lovely picture and immediately delete it, but not before Dropbox (or G+ for that matter) already grabbed it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

When I type "adb root", the command prompt says that "adbd cannot run as root in production builds". :wtf:
You fastboot flashed the boot image and enabled USB debugging?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You fastboot flashed the boot image and enabled USB debugging?

Yes. I think the problem was that the download was for the GSM version. I followed a different set of instructions and things seem to be going fine. Thanks for your help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Yes. I think the problem was that the download was for the GSM version. I followed a different set of instructions and things seem to be going fine. Thanks for your help.
That would do it, my bad. I, like Google, kind of forget there's a Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

b0nes posted:

What is the best Verizon phone in terms of rootability and ROM's? A buddy of mine has a Droid Razr Maxx and want's to root it and get stock android or maye CM but from what I can tell, at least on XDA there are no forums for it.

Galaxy nexus as others have said, with the caveat that it has the worst battery I've ever used. 3 hours of screen-on time at the most. With that said, the SGS3 would probably be the next one with the most ROMs out for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

right arm posted:

Galaxy nexus as others have said, with the caveat that it has the worst battery I've ever used. 3 hours of screen-on time at the most. With that said, the SGS3 would probably be the next one with the most ROMs out for it.
It should be mentioned that if Verizon ever insists that Samsung really lock the bootloader that could go away.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

right arm posted:

FWIW, I have the SG3 running CM10 and I absolutely love it. Seems unlikely that Verizon will continue to carry true nexus devices, which sucks, but Samsung "loving up" the bootloader lock has been great.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since Sprint isn't getting the Nexus 4, would it be more beneficial to grab it's version of the GNex to upgrade from the Nexus S 4G or just grab an SGSIII? I mean I would have this phone for two years and I don't know if 1GB of RAM will last that long.

I might start rooting/ROMing once I upgrade so I'm not sure.

I also might move to Straight Talk to get a Nexus 4 but I'm not sure about that either.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Bobert51 posted:

FWIW, I have the SG3 running CM10 and I absolutely love it. Seems unlikely that Verizon will continue to carry true nexus devices, which sucks, but Samsung "loving up" the bootloader lock has been great.

Yeah if you have to have an android phone on verizon, the sgs3 is the only phone I'd recommend if you just have to put ROMs on your device since the galaxy nexus has been such a huge turd so far.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I've been messing around with DPI lately. Right now I've just edited build.prop, but that doesn't work very well with the play store (some apps claim my device isn't supported anymore). I've read about alternate versions of play that fixes the issue and there's also an app on the play store that's supposed to fix it.

What would be the easiest way to keep my current DPI while still keeping play functional?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'll be getting a US Cellular Samsung Galaxy SIII in a couple of weeks. Are there any caveats to rooting and flashing roms on this version of the phone? I imagine it's a bit different from the other Galaxy SIIIs since it's a CDMA carrier. I'd most likely just flash the newest version of CM10 on the phone and forget it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Are there any caveats to rooting and flashing roms on this version of the phone?
SGS3 ROMs are largely not cross-device compatible even though the underlying hardware platform is nearly identical. That said, CM10 is supported on d2usc, but none of the CM d2 maintainers actually have that model device.

My understanding is that it essentially "just works" but it's possible for a bug to creep in that affects the US Cellular device specifically and the CM folks won't even know about it until someone complains loudly enough.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I'd also make sure you're rooting without tripping the flash counter ideally, it's not too hard and could save you a headache in the future.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a tricky one here. I have an T-Mobile SGS2 with a chargeport that has no data, and only charges if wiggled the right way.

Samsung said the phone is in warranty and they'll fix it for free.

The first time this port trouble started, I didn't even think to ask Samsung, and paid a website $40 to fix it.

Now, I want to flash a ZIP to take the phone back to stock, so Samsung doesn't look at me funny when I mail this to them. But if for some reason they figure out it's been worked on already, they'll probably send it back as is, and then I won't be able to re-root it since the USB data is still hosed.

If you were me, would you bring it to stock and roll the dice? Or try to leave a custom recovery in there as a contingency plan, and pray they don't notice?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet so I'll ask: has anyone changed the GPU clock speed in CM10 (under settings > advanced) on their Galaxy Nexus? If so did it make any kind of difference? Did your phone burst into flames?

I mean, I guess I could just try it myself, and I think I might, but wondered if anyone else has.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet so I'll ask: has anyone changed the GPU clock speed in CM10 (under settings > advanced) on their Galaxy Nexus? If so did it make any kind of difference? Did your phone burst into flames?

I mean, I guess I could just try it myself, and I think I might, but wondered if anyone else has.
1320MHz will make the phone reboot constantly.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

1320MHz will make the phone reboot constantly.

Actually I'm talking about the GPU.. there is a setting to bump it to 384Mhz or 512Mhz.

I have CM10's CPU governor set to a Max of 1350Mhz and it seems to be OK, now that you mentioned that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Actually I'm talking about the GPU.. there is a setting to bump it to 384Mhz or 512Mhz.

I have CM10's CPU governor set to a Max of 1350Mhz and it seems to be OK, now that you mentioned that.
You're right, I was thinking of the CPU. For the longest time there was a bug that caused immediate bootlooping at 1350 (not 1320 as I stated) but if you're running it it must've been fixed.

I don't know why you'd want to boost the GPU clock, it scales dynamically on its own to 512MHz so locking it to that can only harm battery life for minimal gain.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm at a bit of a loss - I've checked the OP and done some googlefu but I can't find a solid answer.

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S2 3g, and I've been tempted to root it for a while, but never known how/what the best way to approach it was. My phone is now rather cluttered and the battery life is getting worse, so I'm seriously looking into it. But I'm not sure where to start.

I only want to use it to surf here on the awful app. Facebook, browse the net and check my bank (and make calls/sms, durr).

Could somebody point me in the right direction? Any help would be great.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

You're right, I was thinking of the CPU. For the longest time there was a bug that caused immediate bootlooping at 1350 (not 1320 as I stated) but if you're running it it must've been fixed.

I don't know why you'd want to boost the GPU clock, it scales dynamically on its own to 512MHz so locking it to that can only harm battery life for minimal gain.

Ahh I didn't know the GPU scaled up to that speed on its own. I figured it was pushing the max value up. If this is the case I won't be doing that. Thanks!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DemonMage posted:

I'd also make sure you're rooting without tripping the flash counter ideally, it's not too hard and could save you a headache in the future.

Is there more information about this anywhere? I'd seen mention of Samsung counting how many times you flashed your phone, but I didn't see any details.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does anyone with CM10 use one of those MHL adapters to plug their phone into a TV? I just got one for my GS3 and it's not working, even with power and everything. I'm using the newest daily of Euroskank, if it matters. I read that it only works on the stock rom, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Edit: Oh gently caress, I need this too, don't I? :doh:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 5, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

tehsid posted:

I'm at a bit of a loss - I've checked the OP and done some googlefu but I can't find a solid answer.

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S2 3g, and I've been tempted to root it for a while, but never known how/what the best way to approach it was. My phone is now rather cluttered and the battery life is getting worse, so I'm seriously looking into it. But I'm not sure where to start.

I only want to use it to surf here on the awful app. Facebook, browse the net and check my bank (and make calls/sms, durr).

Could somebody point me in the right direction? Any help would be great.

You want to download the Odin app to your PC, and drivers to interface with the phone. Then you can flash a Touch Recovery directly to the phone that will then let you back up the phone and install any new Rom you'd like. Compare Odin guides on Google because being reckless can softbrick the phone. You need to figure out your exact SGS2 variant though, there's a bunch.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm using CM10 on my galaxy nexus, and a little while back calendar went to the market. Now I've got 2 calendar applications, and I get double notifications. Should I just go into /system and delete the calendar.apk and keep the market version?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I can't find the newest ODIN-flashable .tar for CWM, does anyone have it? It's version 6.0.1.5. All the guides and stuff have an outdated version which won't flash CM9 to my knowledge.

edit: Well I guess the old CWM does flash CM9.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 5, 2012

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

deong posted:

I'm using CM10 on my galaxy nexus, and a little while back calendar went to the market. Now I've got 2 calendar applications, and I get double notifications. Should I just go into /system and delete the calendar.apk and keep the market version?

I had this same problem. Look at the .apks in your app manager, find the one that matches your other gApps, and delete the other.

E: my apk is version 4.1.2-eng..20121010.232610, if that helps.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there more information about this anywhere? I'd seen mention of Samsung counting how many times you flashed your phone, but I didn't see any details.

This looks to work for any US SGS3. I saw a post elsewhere saying a few US Cellular people specifically were able to use it.

Otherwise I don't see a forum for US Cellular SGS3 there, but the general way of doing it is to flash a stock rooted image with Odin and then install Clockwork Mod via adb or terminal emulator, and then from there you can flash new ROMs and such via recovery without a problem. If you flash a non stock ROM or a recovery from Odin, that's what'll trip the counter. This is for the T-Mobile version using this method.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Yes but of course you'll need to do this after every flash. I just have a script that deletes unwanted APKs from /system after each nightly and I added it to that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
It worked..
But it will only come back after reflashing gapps right? Not CM10 monthlies? I suspect the next version of gapps will have calendar missing, maybe that's hoping for too much though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I figured CM would support 4G by now, so I guess I need to reflash something else. What's the best ROM to use that lets me have 4G?

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Kiranamos posted:

I figured CM would support 4G by now, so I guess I need to reflash something else. What's the best ROM to use that lets me have 4G?

I'm running CM10 on my SGS3 and LTE is working fine. ?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

4G works for me in CM10 (SGS3, VZW). You're going to have to provide more info (phone, carrier).

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

4G works for me in CM10 (SGS3, VZW). You're going to have to provide more info (phone, carrier).

SGS2 Hercules T989 running CM9, the best I get is the occasional "H" instead of 3G. As far as I know Jellybean isn't officially out for my phone, so I can't get CM10 yet unless I want to use an unofficial build?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kiranamos posted:

SGS2 Hercules T989 running CM9, the best I get is the occasional "H" instead of 3G. As far as I know Jellybean isn't officially out for my phone, so I can't get CM10 yet unless I want to use an unofficial build?

That isn't a 4G phone unless you count HSPA+ for which it should be showing the 'H' anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

dissss posted:

That isn't a 4G phone unless you count HSPA+ for which it should be showing the 'H' anyway.

My own phone...lied to me :negative: