Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tazzo posted:

I know this is a long, long, time after your excellent original post, but I just had to weigh in and say as a fully unreligious type who just recently moved from off Whitechapel road I didn't find any so-called Islamification anywhere. As anyone who lived in the area knows, there's a pub called Indo directly opposite the East London Mosque - both about a minute from where I lived - and there has been no trouble from either side, except, of course, when a gang of EDL knuckleheads stormed the pub's kitchen for knives and then started attacking the locals!

That didn't actually happen, btw.

What did happen was far funnier and far more in character for the EDL.

quote:

Arrests were made and one man was hospitalised after a fight broke out between a small group of EDL supporters and local men close to the East London Mosque on Saturday, 14th January.

Metropolitan Police were alerted at around 5pm by staff at local bar, Indo, after a small group of EDL (English Defence League) supporters – who had arrived at the bar incognito – became aggressive and then refused to leave the premises when asked by staff to do so.

[...]

Pro-EDL websites have claimed that one of the EDL men got into the kitchen and “grabbed some knives”. The pub manager has completely refuted this story, telling us that one man attempted to gain access to the kitchen in what was probably an attempt to escape through the back door. According to the pub he was prevented from entering the kitchen by the brave actions of the lone female member of staff on duty who stood in his path preventing access.

Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Has the EDL ever successfully executed an operation or whatever in non three-stooges style?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Fandyien posted:

Has the EDL ever successfully executed an operation or whatever in non three-stooges style?

Unfortunately, yes - and it's never good viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdTEVzzr_s

Their goal in this case was to scare the everloving poo poo out of Muslim extremists (read: families and small children in a diner) and they succeeded.

This is the downside to taking the piss out of the EDL - it undermines what they are capable of, and takes away from the EDL's very real, and continuous, ability to utterly terrorise people.

This was Leicester in 2010, when the EDL was in full swing and pulling 2-3 thousand people per demo. Incidents like this are why EDL has such a disproportionate police turnout per demo now.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 2, 2012

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

The EDL are 'protesting' in my town, Norwich, on Saturday the 10th of November. We Are Norwich shall be counter protesting. I don't really have much else to add so please accept my apologies for this low content post. Just thought I would keep this excellent thread updated as to what these loving idiots are up to right now.

http://www.wearenorwich.co.uk/come-and-join-us/

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
So Andrew Brons has a new vehicle of poo poo:
http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/hate-groups/true-brits/

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The next time someone wants to start a totally not racist group they really should avoid using the words 'British', 'English' and 'National'.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Dr Scoofles posted:

The EDL are 'protesting' in my town, Norwich, on Saturday the 10th of November. We Are Norwich shall be counter protesting. I don't really have much else to add so please accept my apologies for this low content post. Just thought I would keep this excellent thread updated as to what these loving idiots are up to right now.

Oh wow. I never expected to see the EDL in Norwich. I'm totally going to be there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shelf Adventure posted:

The next time someone wants to start a totally not racist group they really should avoid using the words 'British', 'English' and 'National'.

As Bernard Black might have said "We tried calling it the Rainbow Coalition but you know how stupid people are".

The disintegration of the EDL shouldn't be something we can look on with satisfaction (well perhaps with a bit of schadenfreude) though. Tommeh might be an idiot but he got upwards of 5,000 other people willing to fight for him in almost no time at all. If he'd only been a young Irish corporal hurt in the first Gulf War with a gift for oratory it might have ended very differently.

(This, :godwin: be damned, is the correct answer to people bleating about allowing the far right the freedom to speak and assemble, by the way. Ultimately this sort of extremism is reliant on the milquetoast "the truth lies somewhere in the middle" bullshit.)

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Shelf Adventure posted:

What's the name of the latest Far-Right Political Party attempting to rise from the slurry pit of the BNP, you ask?

True Brits

quote:

A new fascist party is being born in Britain. Called True Brits (TB), it is made up of current and former members of the British National Party (BNP) and it will seek to attract the hundreds of activists who have left the BNP in recent years.

But it will also bring together some of the more extreme elements of the British far right, including antisemities and holocaust deniers.

Last month, Yorkshire and Humber MEP Andrew Brons resigned from the BNP claiming mistreatment from Nick Griffin and the party hierarchy. This was the green light the rebels had been waiting for.

[...]

The next few months will decide whether Brons’ new far right outfit replace Griffin’s BNP as the dominant force on the British far right or whether Griffin will weather the storm and remain in control. True Brits will have the activists and the enthusiasm but Griffin is a political street fighter and his party has the recognised brand name.

However, let us not think that there is anything moderate in this new party. It is simply BNP Mark II but even more toxic.

owait

quote:

As soon as it was announced, the newborn party was in terminal decline. The party was registered by its leader, Peter Philips, a gay man. His sexuality so offended the other new members that he was swiftly ejected, but Philips appears to have taken the name with him.

:britain:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 6, 2012

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As Bernard Black might have said "We tried calling it the Rainbow Coalition but you know how stupid people are".

The disintegration of the EDL shouldn't be something we can look on with satisfaction (well perhaps with a bit of schadenfreude) though. Tommeh might be an idiot but he got upwards of 5,000 other people willing to fight for him in almost no time at all. If he'd only been a young Irish corporal hurt in the first Gulf War with a gift for oratory it might have ended very differently.

(This, :godwin: be damned, is the correct answer to people bleating about allowing the far right the freedom to speak and assemble, by the way. Ultimately this sort of extremism is reliant on the milquetoast "the truth lies somewhere in the middle" bullshit.)

I'm ashamed to say I used to be against "no platform" policies. Not because I agreed with them, but because I assumed that the fascists would condemn themselves by airing their disgusting views and people would see what they were really like. But I didn't realise how good some of them are at whipping up support with rhetoric, spin and outright lies.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Stottie Kyek posted:

I'm ashamed to say I used to be against "no platform" policies. Not because I agreed with them, but because I assumed that the fascists would condemn themselves by airing their disgusting views and people would see what they were really like. But I didn't realise how good some of them are at whipping up support with rhetoric, spin and outright lies.

I'll be honest - I still struggle with "no platform". I was against proscribing the EDL for the longest time (it's only the last part of last year that flipped me - Their behavior in Rotchdale, specifically)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A rare thing - a victory for the BNP.

Strengthening these employee protections as the court has ordered does go against their stated position though.

How will this affect their stance on the ECHR?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/nov/06/bnp-bus-driver-wins-legal-case

quote:

Bus driver who was sacked for being in BNP wins human rights case
Strasbourg judges criticise Arthur Redfearn's inability to bring unfair dismissal case against employer Serco in 2004

The sacking of a bus driver for being a member of the far-right BNP was a breach of his human rights, the European court of human rights has ruled.

The decision by judges in Strasbourg follows a long legal battle by Arthur Redfearn, 56, who was sacked in 2004 from his job in Bradford, West Yorkshire, driving mainly Asian adults and children with disabilities.

The court ruled the actions of Serco breached Article 11 – the freedom of assembly and association – because he was sacked only because of his membership of a political party. The seven judges reached their decision on a 4-3 majority.

The court said it was "struck by the fact that he had been summarily dismissed following complaints about problems which had never actually occurred, without any apparent consideration being given to the possibility of transferring him to a non-customer facing role".

It added: "In fact, prior to his political affiliation becoming public knowledge, neither service users nor colleagues had complained about Mr Redfearn, who was considered a 'first-class employee'."

It said the right to freedom of association "must apply not only to people or associations whose views are favourably received or regarded as inoffensive, but also to those whose views offend, shock or disturb".

The judgment also criticised the fact Redfearn could not bring a case of unfair dismissal against Serco in 2004 because UK law said he had not worked long enough for the firm.

The driver was forced to claim race discrimination because no unfair dismissal claim was allowed within the first year of employment.

The court said the UK had to "take reasonable and appropriate measures to protect employees, including those with less than one year's service, from dismissal on grounds of political opinion or affiliation, either through the creation of a further exception to the one-year qualifying period under the 1996 Act or through a freestanding claim for unlawful discrimination on grounds of political opinion or affiliation".

The court heard how Redfearn worked for Serco as a driver from December 2003 until his dismissal on June 30, 2004.

In its judgment, the court said there had been no problems with his work but other employees and trade union complained after his BNP membership was revealed in a local paper.

He was summarily dismissed when he was elected as local councillor for the BNP.

In August 2004 he lodged a claim of race discrimination which was dismissed by an employment tribunal which found that any discrimination against him had been on health and safety grounds.

The tribunal found his continued employment could cause considerable anxiety among Serco's passengers and their carers and there was a risk vehicles could come under attack from opponents of the BNP.

In July 2005 Mr Redfearn successfully appealed against this decision after an appeal tribunal heard no consideration had been given to any alternatives to dismissal.

But, in May 2006, the court of appeal allowed Serco's appeal, finding that Mr Redfearn's complaint was of discrimination on political and not racial grounds, which fell outside anti-discrimination laws.

He was also refused leave to appeal to the House of Lords.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Interesting one, cos ASLEF (train drivers union FYI) got a bloke chucked out for being a BNP member as it went against the values of the organisation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bozza posted:

Interesting one, cos ASLEF (train drivers union FYI) got a bloke chucked out for being a BNP member as it went against the values of the organisation.

I don't think train driving is a closed shop, though. And being kicked out of ASLEF doesn't lose you your job, does it? It just makes you a free rider on the union...

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Dr Scoofles posted:

Well so much for the EDL being a remote problem that other, less twee, parts of the country had to deal with. I suppose I better be at Chapelfield for this.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The EDL themselves arn't even sure why they're going to Norwich. There's actually some self awareness here.

WHO WANTS TO SEE HOW THE EDL HAVE REACTED TO OBAMA'S VICTORY? :woop:

It's early days yet!

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

KayTee posted:

The EDL themselves arn't even sure why they're going to Norwich. There's actually some self awareness here.

It's early days yet!

Wow, I honestly didn't think that anyone outside of Pissnowhere, Mississippi believed that Obama was a Muslim.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Bozza posted:

Fascists and similar bastards have been tossed balls-first out of trade unions for a century. It's uncommon these days, on account of said bastards being rather less prevalent throughout society, but it'll happen and when it happens it's swift and hard.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Iohannes posted:

Wow, I honestly didn't think that anyone outside of Pissnowhere, Mississippi believed that Obama was a Muslim.

One of the first people I heard refer to it as though it were accepted fact (it may have been before Obama was elected) is a Northern Irish musician and dedicated conspiracy theorist. Lovely bloke, just once he's known you for a few months he'll say something like "That's a great cup of tea. Course, there'll be no tea when the Antichrist becomes World President through the UN and puts everyone who won't carry a microchip in their foreheads into extermination camps. Next year."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Iohannes posted:

There was an AP poll about a month back with a sample size of a bit over 1000. 18% thought Obama is a Muslim. That's 180 of the people interviewed.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's early days yet!

"gently caress off friend of the family!!!"

"Well said Maria"

Ah yes, very eloquent Maria.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
On the train to Norwich, and the EDL in the next carriage are already drunk. Doesn't bode well.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Quite disappointed my girlfriend came to visit my parents in the fine city of Norwich and had to share her train with a bunch of drunk fascists.

I feel the news that St. George was a Greek Muslim would blow. Their. Minds.
Mind you, from what I could see it was like 200 people tops, and there was at least 1 policeman for every 5 people.

Some were claiming it was a 'rememberence march'; fairly disgusting if you think about what we fought in WWII

And I'm sorry, but they're all extremely unattractive people. Isn't strictly relevant, but drat they're all ugly.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lord Twisted posted:

I feel the news that St. George was a Greek Muslim would blow. Their. Minds.

I'm pretty sure that the "historical" St George was around a few hundred years before Islam.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Norwich is a weird place for the EDL to march, but 'twas ever thus. My dad remembers orangemen marching against racial diversity in Norwich in the 80s, when Norwich was even less diverse than it is now, and it presently has a black population of about 0.5%, I believe.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Very hard to estimate numbers, but it's clear that the We Are Norwich group had 4 or 5 times the crowd the EDL managed. Also, kudos to the young transwoman who scrambled up a hill pursued by coppers to taunt and moon the EDL.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

KayTee posted:

What's the name of the latest Far-Right Political Party attempting to rise from the slurry pit of the BNP, you ask?

True Brits

owait

:britain:

One fash faction sitting in a hall,
One fash faction sitting in a hall,
and if one fash faction should have a nasty squall,
There'll be two fash factions sitting in a hall...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Does anyone else get these people near where they live? Please don't say it's a Yorkshire-only thing. :ohdear:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

TinTower posted:

Does anyone else get these people near where they live? Please don't say it's a Yorkshire-only thing. :ohdear:

Had a few "NO MORE MOSQUES" with the allah-bombhead thing on them, and some NF branded "HANG PAEDOS" but they normally get scratched out, or covered up with David Icke linked "google 2012 the end" or "WATCH LOOSE CHANGE VERSION 2" very quickly.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Hah, it even SAYS "no fly posting" on the thing.

In other news, today Kev's been showing his support for our troops and remembering the fallen in his usual dignified way.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/article/2326/kevin-carroll-makes-a-complete-fool-of-himself

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Stottie Kyek posted:

Hah, it even SAYS "no fly posting" on the thing.

In other news, today Kev's been showing his support for our troops and remembering the fallen in his usual dignified way.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/article/2326/kevin-carroll-makes-a-complete-fool-of-himself

Does anyone have any more info about this part here?

quote:

After a hundred yards or so, he managed to find an exit strategy. He stopped to instruct the police (he obviously thinks he runs them already) to prevent a disabled man who had laid the same white wreath for the last twenty years, from doing so.

Remarkably, the the man was actually stopped by officers, who took his name and address in front of his four year old son, who was distressed and couldn't understand (like us) what his dad had done wrong.

Because unless white wreaths have become synonymous with Islamic extreamism overnight I'm really struggling to understand what's going on here or why the police did that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Eggn0g posted:

Does anyone have any more info about this part here?

Because unless white wreaths have become synonymous with Islamic extreamism overnight I'm really struggling to understand what's going on here or why the police did that.

Well, you could see the white 'peace' poppies as a protest against the militarism of the regular red poppy and police tend to not like protestors and will jump at the chance to arrest or beat them.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah go into any 'below the line' discussion on places that like to pose as liberal, like the Guardian for instance, say you'll be wearing a white poppy and see the hate pour forth. It would be bizarre if it wasn't so pathetic.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

TinTower posted:

I've decided to put on a hazmat suit and venture forth into that link for the sake of discussion. First post on that link was:

quote:

10th November Hull Pan-Nationalist Meeting
Hull British Movement hosted a Pan-Nationalist meeting, where Young Wolf was welcomed with open arms.

National Front attended
British National Party attended
And British Movement attended

All who attended was all Racial Nationalists who supported the 14 words.

There was numerous speakers and one special guest speaker, MEP Andrew Brons, who I have met many times and did deliver one of his finest speeches, he ever delivered.

He mentioned how BNP failed and the reasons why. He also mentioned how the English Democratic Party had lied so much, even they believed there own lies. Including numerous traitors who have turned there back on the 14 words and Racial Nationalism. He also included on how all Nationalist parties, should shake hands with each other and form a new party and make it the number one Nationalist Party. A lot of us know though that two parties are very stubborn and will not abandon their party, such as NF and BNP, both parties both believe that they should be the number one Nationalist Party.
Assuming this is true and not just the deluded fantasy of a madman, this basically confirms that Andrew Brons is into the "fourteen words" stuff even if he doesn't openly admit to it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zero Star posted:

I've decided to put on a hazmat suit and venture forth into that link for the sake of discussion. First post on that link was:
Assuming this is true and not just the deluded fantasy of a madman, this basically confirms that Andrew Brons is into the "fourteen words" stuff even if he doesn't openly admit to it.

They all are, this isn't exactly surprising. Every few years theres a BNP exposé that catches them all sieg heiling and going on about how much they love Hitler.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

marktheando posted:

They all are, this isn't exactly surprising. Every few years theres a BNP exposé that catches them all sieg heiling and going on about how much they love Hitler.
Oh, I know. I just felt like getting proof that I could show to my friends, some of whom occasionally praise the EDL (before getting talked out of it by yours truly)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
A friend of mine and I had an argument about how he thinks counterprotesting is undemocratic, that racists should be allowed to hold their demos in peace. I ofcourse opposed but as I was kinda drunk I don't know how well I did.

What would you guys have said?

(yeah this wasn't about the EDL, swedish racist party (SD), their demos are I guess not as violent and they try to present a clean front)

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Counterprotesting is not undemocratic. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever the hell you want and everyone has to agree with it. A counter protest is saying "Look, these guys are idiots, we disagree." A counter protest is not necessarily saying "These guys should not be allowed to have a voice."

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
A counterprotest may also be saying to the residents of the area that the racists are trying to intimidate, we're here with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Affi posted:

A friend of mine and I had an argument about how he thinks counterprotesting is undemocratic, that racists should be allowed to hold their demos in peace. I ofcourse opposed but as I was kinda drunk I don't know how well I did.

What would you guys have said?

(yeah this wasn't about the EDL, swedish racist party (SD), their demos are I guess not as violent and they try to present a clean front)

Simple.
If they have the right to spout racist commentary I have the right to oppose that in any way possible, especially if they try to get into politics because there will be a conflict of interest between me and them.

Since this a democracy with free speech I have as much right to decry their views as they have right to express them.

• Locked thread