Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GhostStalker posted:

However, I seem to miss seeing in the report where exactly F3 gets taken down.

PoptartsNinja posted:

X14 Atlas
- Fires Gauss Rifle at F3 Unknown (0 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (0/13 armor, 5/10 structure remains)! Critical hit!
- Fires Medium Laser at F3 Unknown (0 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (0/12 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at F3 Unknown (0 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (0/10 structure remains)! Leg blown off!
- Fires Medium Laser at F3 Unknown (0 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at F3 Unknown (0 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires MRM-40 at F3 Unknown (0 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 MRM - 1 iLK = 8): rolled 10, 24 missiles hit Left Arm (10/12 armor remains), Left Torso (5/10 structure remains (Critical hit!)), Left Torso (3/10 structure remains (Critical hit!)), Right Arm (3/12 armor remains), Right Torso (4/11 armor remains)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 30!

Leg blown off counts as mission killed for enemy units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Pretty sure that the "rest of the regiment" thing refers to the real unit that the Death Commandos are impersonating coming in for their original intended mission (y'know, that one goons voted down?). Awkward.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
That will be a fun conversation, actually.

"Oh, you're here to conquer the planet? Well, we've already done it! But don't worry, you can have it! In our generosity, we'll just be leaving. With all the clantech. It's your job keeping this place safe now."

Remember, the plan was to make them lose face while at the same time grabbing clantech, so this actually works to our advantage if we can pull it off in time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

W.T. Fits posted:

Leg blown off counts as mission killed for enemy units.

Ah. I was wondering why those Critical Hits weren't rolled either. Guess that makes a little more sense now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

That will be a fun conversation, actually.

"Oh, you're here to conquer the planet? Well, we've already done it! But don't worry, you can have it! In our generosity, we'll just be leaving. With all the clantech. It's your job keeping this place safe now."

Remember, the plan was to make them lose face while at the same time grabbing clantech, so this actually works to our advantage if we can pull it off in time.

Yeah... no. If you are still on the planet when that dropship arrives then a full DracSun assault regiment is probably not going to let you leave with any salvage at all and you won't have a choice in the matter.

So it looks like if you can kill all the enemy mechs then you will have time to gather your poo poo and get the gently caress out of dodge. Failing that, if you manage to disengage then the planet will fall to the DracSuns and you might be able to extract with your honour intact and lots of tactical information, but no technology.

Or you can die to the last Mechwarrior.

Either way, you now know that the clock is ticking.

e: or, explain to the Star Commander what is happening, that the dropship is a regiment of mechs and not tanks and infantry, tell him he's beaten you and won the right to possession of the planet from you, then offer him and his warriors a free ride off planet before the DracSuns show up.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

Smoke rises higher than trees and count as light woods for line of sight purposes. I wish they had had line of sight because they were both easier targets than the one I did get to miss horribly shoot at.

I think people (well, me for sure) got confused because the smoke itself wasn't actually marked on the map for turn 8, just the fire. So it went unaccounted-for on our end and no one thought to ask if there was LOS because it didn't look like there was anything there that would block it. We all missed it.

This is still winnable in spite of all that, so hopefully it'll just go down as a bad mistake on our part instead of a game-losing one.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fraction Jackson posted:

I think people (well, me for sure) got confused because the smoke itself wasn't actually marked on the map for turn 8, just the fire. So it went unaccounted-for on our end and no one thought to ask if there was LOS because it didn't look like there was anything there that would block it. We all missed it.

This is still winnable in spite of all that, so hopefully it'll just go down as a bad mistake on our part instead of a game-losing one.

We're fine. We missed killing off F1, but it's not a disaster.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Zeroisanumber posted:

We're fine. We missed killing off F1, but it's not a disaster.

Oh sure, but we could have been doing something else with those two mechs. We basically treaded water this turn as a result of that, instead of pushing ourselves into a stronger position like it seemed we could.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
That Ultra/20 is cursed. Cyclops got a solid hit on the Sohei though, just have Wilberforce tag in Voronov and let the Atlas tear it apart.

quote:

X9 Vindicator
- Disables PPC inhibitor!
- Fires PPC at F2 Cudgel (1 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 0 minimum range w/ inhibitor disabled = 7): rolled 8, hit Head (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 24!

P.S. Vindicators 0wn.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Servicio en Espanol posted:

That Ultra/20 is cursed. Cyclops got a solid hit on the Sohei though, just have Wilberforce tag in Voronov and let the Atlas tear it apart.

P.S. Vindicators 0wn.

He's difficult to ignore, but the shot isn't there. Counting just the modifiers for his movement and cover off the top of my head I get a +8. Voronov's good, but he's not that good.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't tell anyone, but I'm trying to introduce Clanners that people will actually like (instead of just loving to hate). :ssh:

I like Wilberforce...

Edit: BTW PTN, the counter for us getting our mechs off the field still says 0/13, it should be 0/12 to reflect the loss of the Hunchback, yes?

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 6, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Yup, it's fixed!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, I keep feeling that people are missing something important.

Is it that we actually got the Clan Commander to give up actual plans in exchange for us lying through our teeth?

Tell us oh PTN!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Didn't Goonlance take their airfield? Or are these different omnifighters?

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Didn't Goonlance take their airfield? Or are these different omnifighters?

They clearly launched from spacecraft.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It takes DropShips about a week to get to a jump point. It takes fighters about the same amount of time to intercept incoming dropships.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
PTN has said numerous times before now that the omnifighters that we captured (and subsequently dismantled for tech and supplies) were not the only ones on the planet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sibkin? Does this mean Wilberforce and Tjris are vatbrothers?

Also, BATTLETECH. There goes the majority of my firepower and a good portion of my Gunnery skill. Still got a critseeker though and a chip on my shoulder. And fancy that, I'm in melee range while my Piloting skill just got a big boost. I've still got some armor to last me another round barring some more freak luck and I'm not letting Tjris get away with making ol' Wilberface look like a chump. I'm the voice in Wilber's head that tells him to do stupid things because he thinks they'll look totally sweet, and I know I gotta kick that jerk in the leg. Just... I hope the Right leg. I mean from my current position there's a 50% chance of it, right?

right?

EDIT: Looking back, yes, Wilber did mention in narration he had one and only one sibling who made it to a frontline command. WELP. Guess that's why the surprise vote came up in the first place.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 7, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Sibkin? Does this mean Wilberforce and Tjris are vatbrothers?

Also, BATTLETECH. There goes the majority of my firepower and a good portion of my Gunnery skill. Still got a critseeker though and a chip on my shoulder. And fancy that, I'm in melee range while my Piloting skill just got a big boost. I've still got some armor to last me another round barring some more freak luck and I'm not letting Tjris get away with making ol' Wilberface look like a chump. I'm the voice in Wilber's head that tells him to do stupid things because he thinks they'll look totally sweet, and I know I gotta kick that jerk in the leg. Just... I hope the Right leg. I mean from my current position there's a 50% chance of it, right?

right?

:black101: Alpha and kick him to death.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 13)

Book 2
Chapter 36
New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Suns
5 May 3027

Holy poo poo guys, it’s Prince Hanse Davion!

He’s meeting with some guy from the Capellan March to ensure effective coordination between the Federated Suns and… a smaller part of the Federated Suns. Feudalism! :argh:

Feudalism and proof that the Star League was full of trolls who didn’t want the Inner Sphere to be successful! :argh:

Anyway, the Capellan March representative asks if he should leave; but Hanse gives no fucks and says he has nothing to hide. Quintus reveals that Justin has killed Billy Wolfson on Solaris and plays a holovid of the interview. Justin is, of course, bad mouthing Hanse but mostly he’s calling out Phillip Capet, since Capet had both of his recent Fed Suns opponents disable their ejection systems because “that’s what real men do.”

… And they did. So yeah, no sympathy for Billy Wolfson and the father of Justin’s future son’s wife Peter Armstrong. Oh, was that a spoiler? My bad. Deidre Lear is a slightly less terrible character than most, and deserves a mention. Her kids inherit their father’s Outrageous Sue disease though, then they all get killed by the Wobbies.

We then learn that Justin has killed six pilots in total. Hanse continues to give no fucks since “they were scum, and we were well rid of them.” But they are Federated Suns nationals. Quintus then reveals it was Noton and his Rifleman who attacked Justin in the first place, clearing him of all wrongdoing (somehow) and Hanse appears ready to offer to pardon him.

Which the representative from the Capellan March does not like, but is not against.

Quintus says this is impossible since Justin beat up Kym and had her send a message telling Hanse to go gently caress himself. So Hanse orders Quintus to have Justin assassinated. We then learn that the Silver Eagle is on the way, which is important “because Andrew Redburn is on it.” Which is a cover since there’s a slimy Capellan Marcher in the room.

Book 2
Chapter 37
Skye
Isle of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth
5 May 3027

Don’t get excited, we don’t get to see Aldo Lestrade being Machiavellian this chapter. Nope, it’s Andrew Redburn is dining with “Joanna Barker” and some Lyran VIPs onboard the Silver Eagle. They make small talk but of course everyone talks about Justin Xiang. He’s been in less than half of the chapters in this book but everyone talks about him all the time.

This chapter is 3 pages long and nothing happens. Sorry, Andy. You’re still boring as gently caress.

Book 2
Chapter 38
Solaris VII (The Game World)
Rhaneshire, Lyran Commonwealth
5 May 3027

Ha, it is still May Goddamned 5th. That’s four chapters in a row. Tsen Sheng is breaking into Gray Noton’s office but, surprise, he’s loving dead! Gee, how mysterious. There’s no way Justin Xiang anyone intimated that he they were about to murder Noton last chapter. Which is a pity, because Gray Noton’s the best character in this book. Tsen’s probably second best, though. For as two-dimensional as he becomes later, at least here he is a complete person.

Tsen then guesses correctly that Justin Xiang murdered him.

We then cut to Justin who is stealthily watching Tsen look Noton’s pre-looted office. Then, Justin goes over the poo poo he stole from Gray and lasers the passenger manifest of the Silver Eagle to protect Andrew Redburn, since Justin somehow knows that Andy still believes in him. It’s a terrible scene that only lasts for six paragraphs or so and then the chapter ends.

Book 2
Chapter 39
Summer
5 May 3027

NOW we get to see Duke Aldo Lestrade being Machiavellian.

Oh wait, no. Melissa and Andy again. gently caress. Four more pages of Andy waxing poetic about Justin for three pages while Melissa barely pays attention. I’m with Melissa on this one.

Then the chapter, and Book 2, mercifully end.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

quote:

Don't tell anyone, but I'm trying to introduce Clanners that people will actually like (instead of just loving to hate). :ssh:

Oh, it's definitely working for me. I really, really like Wilberforce, and I also was very fond of Drang from the Somerset mission. I sometimes wonder what became of him. If you can spare the time, could you perhaps do a paragraph on the current life situation of a former 'cast member' every now and then? Not everything has to 'matter' to be interesting.

Small typo:

quote:

...it was nothing tank commander needed to know after all...

Should be 'a tank commander'.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's what I get for rewriting sentences at the last minute. Thanks!

Edit: Someone post something so I can post the next few chapters of En Garde!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 7, 2012

Sandono
Apr 9, 2009
Justin just seems like an awful, unlikable person. Why are we rooting for him again?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 14)

Book 3
Chapter 40
Rhaneshire, Lyran Commonwealth
6 May 3027

Tsen Sheng wakes up Justin with a gun to the temple. No, he doesn’t shoot Justin, and yes he’s stupid enough to hold a pistol close enough where it can be knocked away rather than threatening Justin from across the room. He wants to buy the Silver Eagle’s passenger manifest, but Justin tells him he destroyed it because Noton was secretly a CID agent setting Tsen up to get a bunch of Capellans killed.

Justin spins a bullshit story and Tsen buys it wholesale. Justin then smugs about how he’s going to kill Phillip Capet and the chapter ends.

Book 3
Chapter 41
Formalhaut
Draconis March, Federated Suns
11 May 3027

Clovis Holstein and his mother sabotage another Jumpship so they can steal the Silver Eagle! OH NO! Clovis has doubts but his mother Danica and they talk openly about being members of the super-secretive Heimdall. They do so as if neither of them has ever heard of Heimdall before even though it’s been explained to us once already. Nothing else happens this chapter.

Book 3
Chapter 42
Formalhaut
Draconis March, Federated Suns
21 May 3027

DANICA AND CLOVIS HAVE SUCCESSFULLY STOLEN THE SILVER EAGLE OH poo poo!

This chapter is from Andy and Melissa’s perspective, is three pages long, and Melissa “realizes that something is very, very wrong” because they jumped to the wrong planet. How the gently caress can she tell? Can she identify the stars at the nadir points of every star system in the Inner Sphere? Is that required coursework at the Nagelring?

Oh wait, it’s because the Bifrost jumped to an asteroid in Draconis Combine space. THAT’S NOT OBVIOUS AT ALL, DANICA. :downs:

Book 3
Chapter 43
Luthien
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
23 May 3027

Subhash Indrahar knows that Melissa Steiner is now in the Draconis Combine. Don’t ask me how, it doesn’t matter. He’s loving Subhash Indrahar. If it happens in the Draconis Combat, he knows.

Don’t believe me?

En Garde posted:

“One person—Joanna Barker—matches Melissa Steiner in certain physical characteristics such as height, weight, and proportional limb measurements. Medical histories also match in crucial items such as medical allergies.” Indrahar opened his eyes and stared at Kurita. “In addition, I know Joanna Barker to be Melissa Steiner.”

Subhash Indrahar, you creepy bastard, you are the best villain in this book. He’s the best villain in every book (even the ones where he’s one of the heroes. No, scratch that, ESPECIALLY the ones where he’s one of the heroes). Sorry, Andy, your three-page chapters feel like three pages of eternity; while Subhash has managed to make three pages of exposition feel tense and exciting!

I wish there were more chapters with Subhash Indrahar in them, three pages isn’t enough of him being awesome. Sorry, Gray Noton. You are no longer the best character in this book.

Book 3
Chapter 43
Rahneshire, Lyran Commonwealth
22 May 3027

Yup, we’ve moved one day into the past so Justin Xiang can antagonize Phillip Capet in a two page chapter that serves no purpose except to establish that Justin is an rear end in a top hat (we know) and Phillip is an idiot (we know). The fish in that barrel have been thoroughly killed by the Stackpole’s literary shotgun this chapter.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Just a quick suggestion: Could you add a 'status: mech destroyed' or strikethrough the mech name in the enemy mech status image? If it's not too much trouble, just so you don't have to scroll up and down to the map and back to see who is destroyed and which weapons are no longer in the field.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sandono posted:

Justin just seems like an awful, unlikable person. Why are we rooting for him again?

Stackpole basically writes like he's booking WCW in the 90s. Whoever the main guy was, everyone always talks about them and they are always made to look incredibly good no matter what. Somehow that equates to a good character?

Pringlescan4
Jul 6, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen PTN over on Word of Lowtax, but at the same time I'm happy because it means the updates will keep coming. Maybe if we get community warfare to be interesting that will tempt him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, I'm there. I just don't play very often.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

It should be noted Subhash Indrahar dies during an uprising... by waiting for his killers to get to him in his wheelchair, and ripping off 4 SRM's into the ceiling.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
By flying up to their orbiting dropship, chatting with them on the observation deck, and blowing out the windows with his SRMs.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

PoptartsNinja posted:

By flying up to their orbiting dropship, chatting with them on the observation deck, and blowing out the windows with his SRMs.

For some reason, when I read that, I thought you meant that he flew up to their orbiting dropship on his wheelchair.

Westwind
Oct 17, 2012
Things aren't so bad actually:

420/535 Tons Clan Physicals Remaining (spread over 7 mechs)

2/5 Clan PPCs remaining
0/1 Gauss Rifle remaining
Total: 30/90 Headcap Points remaining (spread over 2 weapons)

13/13 Clan Large Laser
10/14 Clan Medium Laser (I'm assuming the Seagull lost 2 medium lasers)
2/4 Clan Small Laser
Total: 210/248 Mainline Weapon Points Remaining (spread over 25 weapons)

2/2 LRM-20
2/2 SRM-4
0/1 SRM-2
Total: 56/60 Critseeker Points remaining (spread over 4 weapons)

1/1 Flamer

All in all the Clans have lost 115 Tons of Clan Physicals, 60 Headcap Points, 38 Mainline Weapon Points, and 4 Critseeker Points.

Xi Company has only lost 80 Tons of IS Physicals, 1 Ultra AC 20 (which I'll coint as 20x1.5=) and 1 AC 20 for 50 headcap points (this still leaves 55 remaining in the form of 4 IS PPCs and 1 Gauss Rifle), 1 Medium Pulse Laser, 2 Large Lasers, 2 Medium Lasers and 1 Small Laser for 36 mainline damage points.

115 Tons of Clan Physicals Versus 80 Tons of IS Physicals
50 Versus 60 Headcap Points
38 Mainline Weapons Points + 4 Critseeker points Versus 36 Mainline Damage Points
- so we're slightly ahead on reducing damage potential, and they have the more damaged mechs (by being split over numerous targets if not damage points) (though our pilot compartments are weaker).

There's been bad luck with to-hits, the TAC, and unmarked smoke/LOS problems, but on the bright side our headcap did more damage and at least their flanking didn't give them any back shots. The Death Commando's initial superiority will carry the day even if the dice continue to roll like this.
If anything I'm more worried that their mechs are now almost fully in play (the Wolf Spider joined, leaving just the Rifleman), but at least their flanking attempt has been defeated.

Westwind fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 7, 2012

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Not that it matters since the target died anyway, but my orders said to target F2, not F4. Man, I have no idea what I want to do this turn though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well gooncompany could try to finish off F4 and kill E1 and take out the clans jumpjets save the rifleman, then it is just a slow grinding down. Or knock out the two swordbreakers whom are easy targets this turn.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Farseli posted:

Not that it matters since the target died anyway, but my orders said to target F2, not F4. Man, I have no idea what I want to do this turn though.

Well, there's always my fallback strategy... it can sometimes work... Pretty sure someone did just that a few turns ago.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Preechr posted:

For some reason, when I read that, I thought you meant that he flew up to their orbiting dropship on his wheelchair.

If he could, he would.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Westwind posted:

Things aren't so bad actually:

420/535 Tons Clan Physicals Remaining (spread over 7 mechs)

2/5 Clan PPCs remaining
0/1 Gauss Rifle remaining
Total: 30/90 Headcap Points remaining (spread over 2 weapons)

Heavy Large Lasers are headcappers.

Speaking of which, PTN:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fires Heavy Large Laser at X12 Cyclops IIC (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 heavy laser - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (14/16 armor remains)! TAC!

I think you got the armor wrong there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Heavy Large Lasers are headcappers.

Speaking of which, PTN:

I think you got the armor wrong there.

14/30. he put in the wrong max.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
IS PPCs aren't too hot at headcapping, either.

Well, aside from the poor Merlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 15)

Book 3
Chapter 45
Styx
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
23 May 3027

Melissa is being a jerk and making Clovis Holstein uncomfortable by staring at him. Clovis is a dwarf, you see, and since this is the medieval space 80’s, everyone is an rear end in a top hat to the poor guy. Anyway, Danica and Clovis are trying to figure out why everyone wants the Silver Eagle hijacked, and think it has to have something to do with Andrew Redburn (understandable) or “Joana Barker.” Melissa, if anyone spending ten seconds of time realizes there’s something up with you; you might want to try something less stupid next time.

Anyway we then learn that House Kurita is attacking. It’s an ISF Assault Force.

AN ISF ASSAULT FORCE OF ZERO-G TRAINED DEATH NINJAS HAS ARRIVED IN A KURITA BACKWATER ON THE VERY SAME DAY THAT SUBHASH INDRAHAR DISPATCHED THEM.

That is why Subhash Indrahar is goddamned terrifying. He keeps dropships full of 1980s movie ninjas just waiting at random jump points so he can quickly send them places and gently caress things up.

Melissa then deduces that House Kurita know who she is and that she’s now in the Draconis Combine. She almost passes out from fear for a moment and the crazy in the back of her head taunts her. Yes, Melissa Steiner is still hearing voices in the back of her head. Andrew Redburn wants to hail the Kuritans to find out if they want him. He’s more than willing to turn himself over, but the ISF couldn’t care less about a Davion Lieutenant (no poo poo, really?)

So Melissa reveals her identity to everyone, Danic and Clovis poo poo bricks, and Heimdall scrambles to save the Archon Designate of the Lyran Commonwealth.

Book 3
Chapter 46
Pacific (Chara III)
24 May 3027

Remember that changing-the-date subplot? Well, it’s happening and the ISF troopers on Pacific poo poo bricks because they thought yesterday was the 22nd! Rather than doing any fact checking, they launch an immediate suicide assault on the Kell Hounds that’s supposed to be timed with Yorinaga Kurita’s landing. Instead, because the Hounds are already on high alert doing practice drills, they’re armed and armored.

Dan Allard shoots several ISF ninjas with a shotgun while they run at him with swords, and since nobody had decided that ISF troopers have armor that blocks most small arms yet, this is wildly successful. Patrick Kell gets shot in the lung, and oh no the Panthers that the Kell Hounds have known were on-planet for months are finally attacking. SURPRISE.

Book 3
Chapter 47
Styx
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
25 May 3027

Melissa is coordinating the Heimdall guards, but since they’re volunteers with no military training and the ISF are goddamned ninjas it’s not going well. This is from Melissa’s perspective so the battle pretty much consists of “lost contact with Bravo team” and “lost contact with Delta team” and “Pink squad, man down!”

And then Andy volunteers to lead a suicide defense and blows himself up with a satchel charge to seal a tunnel.

Melissa gets maudlin about things for a paragraph and a half and then the chapter ends. Spoilers: Andy is fine.

Book 3
Chapter 48
Pacific (Chara III)
24 May 3027

The first two pages are from the Kuritan perspective, and they’re feeling pretty smug about their assault except OH poo poo THE KELL HOUNDS HAVE `MECHS AND ALL OUR SOLDIERS ARE DEAD WHAT IS GOING ON. So they try to run away.

As they run away, the Kell Hounds shoot them in the back while the as-yet unmentioned Kell Hound Infantry shoots them with infernos. End result? All Panthers down since 12 slow-as-hell 30 ton `Mechs can’t fight a battalion of mixed mediums and heavies worth poo poo.

Anyway, the Kell Hounds then decide to abandon Pacific to House Kurita which is technically a breach of contract I think? But they’ll get away scott free since they just jumped into Kurita space to a secret Heimdall base Patrick (and everyone else in the Inner Sphere apparently) knows about. They’re in a perfect position to rescue Melissa Steiner.

• Locked thread