Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

500 Euros is $636 Canadian.

It's $299/$349 for a console in Canada.

Is Import Tax and shipping really going to burn you double the cost of the console?

As I said...not really too bothered about it...I'll wait and see how the console does and wait for a price-drop if it's any good. The PSVita was a day one buy just because of the price-point...this not so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

500 Euros is $636 Canadian.

It's $299/$349 for a console in Canada.

Is Import Tax and shipping really going to burn you double the cost of the console?

Getting an American console shipped to Europe is a pretty bad idea. Romania is part of the EU, he would be better off just ordering from another EU country - like France, where the Wii U costs €274/€324 at Amazon.fr (including taxes, as always with European prices). No additional import taxes or other hassles. There's no need to always buy in your own country in the single European market, plenty of opportunities to save money.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 7, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

netBuff posted:

Getting an American console shipped to Europe is a pretty bad idea. Romania is part of the EU, he would be better off just ordering from another EU country - like France, where the Wii U costs €274/€324 at Amazon.fr (including taxes, as always with European prices). No additional import taxes or other hassles. There's no need to always buy in your own country in the single European market, plenty of opportunities to save money.

That's a good point. Should be helpful.

I just know anyone hosed by their own countries pricing should always look for alternatives.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NCL just announced the next Nintendo Direct broadcast - Wii U/Miiverse-centric, ~30mins long. It's set for a little under 11 hours from now, so 6AM EST for you Americans. (Japanese-only, of course.)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/direct20121107/index.html

NOA/NOE are bound to announce their own broadcasts any moment now, so don't sweat it too hard if you can't watch this one.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOA/NOE are bound to announce their own broadcasts any moment now, so don't sweat it too hard if you can't watch this one.

Timing seems pretty bad for NOA. People are going to be pretty distracted by the election.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

citizenlowell posted:

Timing seems pretty bad for NOA. People are going to be pretty distracted by the election.

Hope that's not why they're doing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The timing of the broadcast has nothing to do with the election. Sheesh.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Like Japanese gamers are going to give a rat's rear end.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Like Japanese gamers are going to give a rat's rear end.

Not to derail, but according to statistics in the US elections thread, Japan actually has a hard-on for America and is the #1 supporter worldwide. America itself is third in the list.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

Not to derail, but according to statistics in the US elections thread, Japan actually has a hard-on for America and is the #1 supporter worldwide. America itself is third in the list.

The statistics say nothing about gamers who want to nerdrage at Nintendo.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
They should've done it sooner to have better timing for their showcase reveal, the Everybody Votes Channel II. Now with three options per poll!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's about loving time. Time to find out if we've all wasted our money.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's about loving time. Time to find out if we've all wasted our money.

If you think this broadcast is going to be comprehensive or that there won't be a ton of details and caveats that won't be known until after release you are going to be sorely disappointed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/06/wii-u-arrives-at-ign Unboxing tomorrow

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/wii-u-will-have-day-one-update Day one update.

quote:

We don't know much more about this update, only that it will add Miiverse, Wii U Chat (the system's 'real time communication' application), Nintendo TVii and the system's eShop.

Maybe there's still hope of a universal chat system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That sounds like a day 1 nightmare. People stuck without being able to update their console because the servers are getting hammered.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

That sounds like a day 1 nightmare. People stuck without being able to update their console because the servers are getting hammered.

Unless they do it through seeding.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Giantbomb is going to have some coverage tomorrow as well. Specifically a quick look EX of Tank! Tank! Tank!. ( EX usually means they are playing the game with developers or someone involved with the game. ) Also they have something scheduled titled "The Wii U has landed" which could be anything but most likely a 5 minute video just saying they got the Wii U in.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I have no idea how Tank! will do as a retail title but every time I've seen an arcade machine it's covered in children going berzerk.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Also they have something scheduled titled "The Wii U has landed" which could be anything but most likely a 5 minute video just saying they got the Wii U in.
Hopefully it's more than that Considering they already put out an image comparing the WiiU's box to that of the Famicom twin, we'll see though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here we go!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/direct20121107/index.html

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

As usual, Cheesemeister of NeoGAF is doing live translations. You can find them on his twitter https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k or in his thread on NeoGAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498785

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
HA! Iwata doing an unboxing video.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh come on! Japanese Deluxe users get a Dragon Quest 10 beta key too?!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Wow, cloud saves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wow, Iwata video chatting with Reggie, Reggie claims he is in his office. Reggie's office is small as poo poo! You're the god drat president of Nintendo for gently caress's sake!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Holy poo poo that segment was loving amazing. Reggie speaking Japanese and staring into the Wii U camera will forever be burned into my memory.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh man their Japanese karaok built in software is pay by the song(per use), similar to how a karaoke bar would work there. They are going to make billions and billions of dollars.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Maaaan, am I going to be able to use a US WiiU in Europe successfully, that's the one question that remains.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's definitely some stuff I missed, but here's my lame amateur rundown:

-Iwata unboxes a Wii U Premium bundle. Exciting?
-User account info: 12 users per console; individual purchases, browser info, save data etc tied to individual user accounts. Purchases by one user can be used by others on the same system.
-Miiverse, Nintendo Network and eShop are all linked and accessible from browser/phone
-Browser, Miiverse and eShop available as day-one firmware update
-WiiWare/VC transfer process mentioned, detailed explanation on website
-Trailer/demo thing demonstrating off-screen play, accessing browser/Miiverse mid-play, etc. Post in-game screenshots to Miiverse, send challenges to friends (?)
-Follow people through Miiverse and/or add them as friends, no friend codes (?)
-Wii U Chat demo - Iwata chats to Reggie! (Iwata's English is okay, Reggie's Japanese blows.) Draw on each other using the gamepad. Accessible from the home menu.
-XING/Joysound collaboration - some sort of ore-installed karaoke service? Subscription-based? Requires Wii U mic, sold standalone or with a trial disc)
-NSMBU developer interview

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
drat, NSMBU has a ton of alternate modes.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah, I think I'm probably gonna end up getting it at launch. Looks like it's actually gonna turn out good this time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE tweeted that they'll be providing a subbed version of the presentation soon, so don't sweat the minor details.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...and here they are!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Last link for now - Iwata Asks: Miiverse!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-ask...rk--662853.html

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 7, 2012

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Wow, from all that I've read, I get the feeling that Nintendo really has taken online seriously. (Well, more seriously than they have ever done in the past at any rate.)

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Iwata Asks says there's still some numbers to the Nintendo Network ID, though i'm guessing it's just a different way to register people now alongside usernames.

EDIT: Yep, there's IDs. Welcome to the modern era, Nintendo

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44086661&postcount=1083

Cuboidal 64 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 7, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, glad to see Nintendo joining the 21st century with the internet on their consoles. Too bad Miis are still so ugly and weird looking. I think the Xbox's avatars are the right combo of detailed and cartoony.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

katkillad2 posted:

I don't ever do anything for black friday and this won't change my mind, but some of you might be interested. Apparently Old Navy is going to give a copy of SMB U to a select number of people at their stores if you are one of the first people in line and spend $40 dollars.

I remember trying to go to Old Navy to get Lego Rock Band for free. They had something like 20 copies and more than that were lined up at Old Navy the night before. Not worth it...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
drat it. I didn't hear about this 2 year long promotion purchasers of the black WiiU are going to get until now. I bought the white system which should be getting shipped next day from Gamestop.

I'll probably have to sell my white console and somehow find the black one on launch. Crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

drat it. I didn't hear about this 2 year long promotion purchasers of the black WiiU are going to get until now. I bought the white system which should be getting shipped next day from Gamestop.

I'll probably have to sell my white console and somehow find the black one on launch. Crap.

Lemme give you a word of advice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTDeOPFr9e4

• Locked thread