Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Hoppin Tin posted:

I'm paying $59.99 a month, plus $10 for premium data plus $7 in surcharges.... How are any of you doing only $50 a month?

I used to have the $30 SERO, but then to upgrade to a Evo4G they said I had to up my plan. Is there any way to bring it down? I'd stay with Sprint if it was $50

I think the question is how are you not on the SERO $50 plan. You're the first person I've seen thats not on it (other than those hanging on to the $30 dumbphone SERO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TLG James posted:

It seems to always do this.

It's like it auto rolls back an hour on it's own and it goes back an hour off of sprint's time.

Yep, it's been changing between CST and EST all day. I'm in Central time.

Birdemani posted:

If you are on LTE, there is a known bug that is setting your timezone to EST. It' something the admin at s4gru.com has been discussing for a few months. It will get fixed however there is no ETA. The only way to prevent it is to disable auto-time in settings.

Not on LTE, but I did turn off the automatic time zone change.

Krime posted:

I think the question is how are you not on the SERO $50 plan. You're the first person I've seen thats not on it (other than those hanging on to the $30 dumbphone SERO).

Oddly enough, I'm also on $40 SERO (BB Bold 9650).

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Duckman, I'm having a hell of a time sending SMS with my iPhone 5. It seems like I'm on 3G and go to send a message, it drops to 1x, and errors, and I have to resend. I've already had people complain about duplicate messages. Any suggestions?

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

Probably already posted, but Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card with the purchase of the Galaxy S3 this week with a 2-year activation. This includes current Sprint customers using their 2-year upgrade.

One problem with this is that there is some stupid glitch that is not allowing them to issue the gift card. According to my local store, this is a corporate-level issue, and they took my phone number so they could call me when it's sorted out.

Something else I overheard one of the Best Buy workers saying was that they would be selling the Galaxy S3 for $50 on Black Friday. Not sure if he had anything legit to back this up or he's just talking out his rear end, but interesting.

I am liking the GS3 so far (I bought it Friday). Didn't realize the middle button was a button until after the first day and I read the instruction manual. AMOLED is so pretty.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krime posted:

I think the question is how are you not on the SERO $50 plan.
SERO Premium didn't become available as a plan until October 2010. So there was a four month period where the only way to pick up an Evo 4G was to switch to $70/mo EPRP. Thing is, as I recall, folks who previously were on SERO and had switched to EPRP had the option to switch to SERO Premium but had to call in to do it.

There's also the separate issue that attempts to upgrade at a corporate store most often resulted in sales support pushing folks to EPRP because they never know what's up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hardware viability is a separate issue from software support. Given that the Nexus S is still supported in Jellybean, despite being at the thresholds of its capability, I'd hope that Google would support the Galaxy Nexus as long as possible. But who knows.

The radio setup on the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus is awful though. It's not worth it.

So it'd pretty much be best to stick with the SGS III or Optimus G then? Hmm.

There's a current rumor that Sprint will have a Motorola phone by spring 2013. If they get one like the RAZR HD MAXX or close to it, I may grab that.

Mostly basing this on the Nexus S having issues on 4.1.1 at 512mb RAM.

I don't know if the future OS upgrades will base on quad core and 2gb or not. It sort of feels like Google wants 2gb to be the standard.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

NerdsMcGee posted:

Duckman, I'm having a hell of a time sending SMS with my iPhone 5. It seems like I'm on 3G and go to send a message, it drops to 1x, and errors, and I have to resend. I've already had people complain about duplicate messages. Any suggestions?

Is it SMS or the iPhone IM? (Blue or green bubbles)

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
How does selling a SERO plan on eBay work? Someone mentioned it earlier, but I thought it wasn't possible... I'm planning on leaving Sprint on Black Friday because I can't put up with their shittiness in Chicago anymore, but if I can get some extra money from my plan that would be awesome. I'm guessing I'd lose my phone number, right?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

nate fisher posted:

Is it SMS or the iPhone IM? (Blue or green bubbles)
It's SMS giving me issues, iMessage seems okay.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mostly basing this on the Nexus S having issues on 4.1.1 at 512mb RAM.
Yeah, I'm not sure it follows that since 512 MB devices had "issues" after two years that 1 GB devices will necessarily have the same.

For one, keep in mind that ICS and JB represented major departures in both the UI and rendering pipeline from GB and earlier, and is a lot more resource demanding as a result. While Google may continue to make cosmetic changes to the UI, I'm not sure we'll see quite such an overhaul of fundamental components in the near future as to put quite the same pressure on 1 GB devices.

I mean, I personally would aim to purchase a 2 GB device today. But I wouldn't be particularly worried if I already had a 1 GB device in my possession. I might even compromise RAM to get a device that had some other desired feature.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

helsabot posted:

How does selling a SERO plan on eBay work? Someone mentioned it earlier, but I thought it wasn't possible... I'm planning on leaving Sprint on Black Friday because I can't put up with their shittiness in Chicago anymore, but if I can get some extra money from my plan that would be awesome. I'm guessing I'd lose my phone number, right?

Someone pays your for it, and you set up a 3-way call with you, the buyer, and (I believe) Employee Care. The buyer must already have a SERO or EPRP account and will be simply adding a line.

That being said, it's going to get better, way better here in Chicago. You sure you can't wait?

Not sure what to do about your number. When I got my plan 3 years ago, I was able to port my number from AT&T. Not sure what the seller did with his number though.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Yeah I've been hearing it's supposed to get better, but I'm tired of getting absolutely no signal in my neighborhood, and almost no signal everywhere else I go. Plus I want to give WP8 a shot, because I'm a masochist.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, if you do a Transfer of Liability, you lose the number on the line. The new owner takes posession of the line with the same phone number.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

NerdsMcGee posted:

It's SMS giving me issues, iMessage seems okay.

Not sure. I have a 5, and the only issue I have is when I'm in a bad area for data iMessage not working smooth. Sorry.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A Latina friend of mine just texted me, saying she received two picture texts with Spanish captions from my number. I've sent no such things.

:psyduck:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Charlie Foxtrot posted:

Probably already posted, but Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card with the purchase of the Galaxy S3 this week with a 2-year activation. This includes current Sprint customers using their 2-year upgrade.

One problem with this is that there is some stupid glitch that is not allowing them to issue the gift card. According to my local store, this is a corporate-level issue, and they took my phone number so they could call me when it's sorted out.

Something else I overheard one of the Best Buy workers saying was that they would be selling the Galaxy S3 for $50 on Black Friday. Not sure if he had anything legit to back this up or he's just talking out his rear end, but interesting.

I am liking the GS3 so far (I bought it Friday). Didn't realize the middle button was a button until after the first day and I read the instruction manual. AMOLED is so pretty.

We actually just went into Best Buy to get my wife her upgrade and got a Galaxy S3 today. They had this problem (actually they at first couldn't see her eligibility at first either, apparently Sprint is having issues too). They ended up just dropping the price of the phone with a manager approval by $100 to make up for the lack of it printing out the coupon.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Charlie Foxtrot posted:

It leaked a few weeks ago that Sprint will be offering the GS3 (directly) for $50 on black friday, so I wouldn't be surprised if BB matched it. Especially tempting news for those of us who can't shop third-party.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NerdsMcGee posted:

Those errors are likely still going through. I text via my 5 and it errors all the time, but people always respond accordingly even if I don't resend it. I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Keep in mind I use google voice integration, but it still seems to be the standard. I've had other customers complain, although not tht many.

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

ninmeister posted:

We actually just went into Best Buy to get my wife her upgrade and got a Galaxy S3 today. They had this problem (actually they at first couldn't see her eligibility at first either, apparently Sprint is having issues too). They ended up just dropping the price of the phone with a manager approval by $100 to make up for the lack of it printing out the coupon.
Wow, go figure, someone using common sense to solve a technical glitch.

According to the Best Buy lady that called me back later today, she said that she'd have to totally void everything they did for me... the purchase of the phone and activation through Sprint... and then RE-DO it for me to get the $100 gift card. So I'm probably going to drop the phone off while I go run errands in the area later this week and come back in an hour. I would love it if my Best Buy solved the problem like yours did.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

WoG posted:

It leaked a few weeks ago that Sprint will be offering the GS3 (directly) for $50 on black friday...

Well... the fact it can do SVDO is pretty much going to make it a must-purchase for me.

I really wanted the note 2, but the lack of that feature is a deal breaker.

No phablet, no phablet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Charlie Foxtrot posted:

Wow, go figure, someone using common sense to solve a technical glitch.

According to the Best Buy lady that called me back later today, she said that she'd have to totally void everything they did for me... the purchase of the phone and activation through Sprint... and then RE-DO it for me to get the $100 gift card. So I'm probably going to drop the phone off while I go run errands in the area later this week and come back in an hour. I would love it if my Best Buy solved the problem like yours did.

Former Best Buy manager here...it's going to be very rare that they do that. The way that cell phone sales works at BBY is a bit stupid. For example - a phone has a cost of $600. BBY will sell it at $200, taking a $400 "loss" but since you are signing a contract with Sprint/AT&T/Verizon, they receive a kickback from the carrier as long as all that information was entered into the system.

If a manager takes the phone down to $100 to correct something like this, it instantly voids the kickback the company gets from the carrier, meaning that they're not eating an additional $100, they're eating $500. So we would almost never do a manual change on prices of phones.

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Those errors are likely still going through. I text via my 5 and it errors all the time, but people always respond accordingly even if I don't resend it. I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Keep in mind I use google voice integration, but it still seems to be the standard. I've had other customers complain, although not tht many.

I was having the same exact issue. They had issues activating my 5 on launch day so my phone has been doing it until I completely wiped the device and let it reactivate.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Medullah posted:

Former Best Buy manager here...it's going to be very rare that they do that. The way that cell phone sales works at BBY is a bit stupid. For example - a phone has a cost of $600. BBY will sell it at $200, taking a $400 "loss" but since you are signing a contract with Sprint/AT&T/Verizon, they receive a kickback from the carrier as long as all that information was entered into the system.

If a manager takes the phone down to $100 to correct something like this, it instantly voids the kickback the company gets from the carrier, meaning that they're not eating an additional $100, they're eating $500. So we would almost never do a manual change on prices of phones.

Apparently they were having issues with Verizon the day before. Manager said they were doing this kind of stuff for the past two days. He didn't look too happy to be doing it, probably cause of what you just said.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Lynchman posted:

I was having the same exact issue. They had issues activating my 5 on launch day so my phone has been doing it until I completely wiped the device and let it reactivate.

My sister is having this and is unable to connect to 3G, and no amount of wiping and reactivating seems to be able to fix it. She got a new phone from Apple last night, so we'll see how that works out, but I wish there had been an easy solution.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WoG posted:

It leaked a few weeks ago that Sprint will be offering the GS3 (directly) for $50 on black friday, so I wouldn't be surprised if BB matched it. Especially tempting news for those of us who can't shop third-party.

I'm interested in this. How do I go about getting one while on SERO? Will I be ordering online or via telesales?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'm interested in this. How do I go about getting one while on SERO? Will I be ordering online or via telesales?

A Black Friday special I would imagine would be available via any sprint avenue, so for corporate accounts like SERO that either of what you listed should work. Probably online to be safer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks. How does it work with upgrades - is that $50 price available only to customers with an upgrade pending?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Thanks. How does it work with upgrades - is that $50 price available only to customers with an upgrade pending?

From what I saw, yes.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema posted:

My wife and I are ready to update to something new, are out of contract, and have subsidized updates available. The most important thing for us would be Google updates and/or Cyanogenmod support for at least a year or two. I suppose that means Galaxy Nexus, yes? If so, does it make more sense to burn subsidies on that? I plan on sticking with Sprint simply because I refuse to give money to VZ or ATT and Tmobile pre-paid is non-existent in northern Michigan (and the promise of SoftBank money to help NV rollout I suppose).

Self-quotin' - any suggestions? Is the Optimus G anticipated to have solid CM support? Or just pick up GNexs on Amazon Wireless for $50? Anything else in the pipeline? I've been holding off on an upgrade for over 6 months in anticipation of the new Nexus so needless to say I'm really ready to ditch my OG Evo...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

amenenema posted:

Self-quotin' - any suggestions? Is the Optimus G anticipated to have solid CM support? Or just pick up GNexs on Amazon Wireless for $50? Anything else in the pipeline? I've been holding off on an upgrade for over 6 months in anticipation of the new Nexus so needless to say I'm really ready to ditch my OG Evo...

Beyond getting root for tethering i really doubt you need CM support on the GNex anymore, although yes it does have good support. $50 is not bad, although i will say the you should definitely get the 2100 extended battery (still fits in the same battery door) as the battery life just isn't great on the stock battery. I would at least consider the S3.

I doubt the Optimus G would have solid CM support, it certainly isn't guaranteed, and the Optimus G at this point is an unproven phone i would recommend not buying until a month or two after release to ensure there are no bugs.

Nothing else worth buying in the pipeline beyond a bunch of low end android phones i won't be recommending.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

A Black Friday special I would imagine would be available via any sprint avenue, so for corporate accounts like SERO that either of what you listed should work. Probably online to be safer.

What if my SERO needs to be bumped up to SERO Premium? Would I be better off just ordering over the phone for the Black Friday sale?

I'm aiming for the path of least hassle.

If I order online, I imagine it will put me on a standard plan and then I'll have to call in to get it changed back to SERO. (Maybe that is easier, I dunno.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

What if my SERO needs to be bumped up to SERO Premium? Would I be better off just ordering over the phone for the Black Friday sale?

I'm aiming for the path of least hassle.

If I order online, I imagine it will put me on a standard plan and then I'll have to call in to get it changed back to SERO. (Maybe that is easier, I dunno.)

Call before black friday and get yourself upped to SERO premium. or order over the phone first on friday.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call before black friday and get yourself upped to SERO premium. or order over the phone first on friday.

Upgrading to premium the day before sounds easy enough. Thanks for the advice!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

amenenema posted:

Gonna agree with Duckman and say you should avoid the Optimus G for the moment. The bootloader will be locked and most of the devs on Sprint already have the SGS3, Nexus or EVO LTE. From what I've seen, I'd say the SGS3 probably has the best CM support outside of the Nexus right now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

datajosh posted:

From what I've seen, I'd say the SGS3 probably has the best CM support outside of the Nexus right now.
On Sprint the SGS3 has better CM support them the Galaxy Nexus even. It's true that that the Galaxy Nexus has pseudo-AOSP support, but just one device maintainer.

In contrast the Sprint SGS3 has three active maintainers, and shares development with other-carrier SGS3s, and is based on the predecessor Qualcomm platform to what's used in the Nexus 4.

It's really a good choice on Sprint for folks willing to or actively seeking to custom ROM.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Sprint is gobbling/buying up some of the market in the Midwest from US Cellular.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-sprint-spectrum-uscellular-idUSBRE8A61DR20121107

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Woah, Sprint has purchased US Cellular.

I hope that means Sprint LTE comes sooner here in Maine. US Cellular has already had LTE here for a while.

edit: I guess I should read the whole article...New England looks unaffected

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 7, 2012

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Stevie Lee posted:

Woah, Sprint has purchased US Cellular.

I hope that means Sprint LTE comes sooner here in Maine. US Cellular has already had LTE here for a while.

edit: I guess I should read the whole article...New England looks unaffected

Sprint purchased spectrum and some customers from us cellular in the Midwest.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

moolchaba posted:

Upgrading to premium the day before sounds easy enough. Thanks for the advice!
When I tried to do this before ordering my IPhone 5 they told me to call back when I had the phone in hand. Ordering online didn't force an account upgrade, it was the activation that did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm sharing a family plan with my brother and I am the primary line. He just got a job with a company that makes him eligible for a discount. Apparently they can only apply a discount to the primary line, which is fine. The problem I'm having with this is that they changed my contract date so now it starts in November whereas it used to start in June. I liked that because June is close to flagship release season and I like to get shiny new toys at half price. Would calling them and begging then to apply that date change to my brother's line be a total waste of time?

Edit: nevermind - he didn't want his contract date hosed with either. Apple users gotta refresh every two years or get left behind

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 7, 2012