Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

That Suzuki thing pisses me the hell off, I was all ready to get an SX4 in a few years because it was the cheapest car you could get with AWD. gently caress. At least I like Subaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Apparently BMW is set to release a score of diesels over the next few years. Next year is a 3 series sedan and a 3 series sportwagen, both presumably with the 2.0L 180hp/280tq turbo diesel BMW has. A 5 series, 7 series, X3 and X5 all eventually follow.

If this turns out to be the case, I can only hope they release the 3 series with a manual option. I know the previous 335d was only automatic due to BMW saying the manual couldn't handle the torque.

I know this is such a stereotypically enthusiast thing to say, but if BMW launches a diesel, AWD, manual 3-series wagon in the USA I will almost certainly buy one (and take Euro delivery!), preferably the 335d but I would consider the 2.0L as well. I can afford to put my money where my mouth is; your move, BMW.

Unfortunately, I have no doubts that it will be automatic-only like the previous 335d. :(

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, the Galant seems pretty terrible. They still make that, right? It's been pretty much unchanged for almost a decade, too.

I'm pretty sure they announced they were killing the Galant a couple months ago.

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Q_res posted:

I'm pretty sure they announced they were killing the Galant a couple months ago.

Does Mitsubishi have any new products to replace their dead models?

A bit of googling turns up some press releases from early 2011 claiming an increased focus on hybrids & electrics, but the timelines there were pretty long (~2015). Does it even make sense for them to stay open in the US that long?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The current Car & Driver magazine has an editorial on the death of Mitsubishi.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Guinness posted:

I know this is such a stereotypically enthusiast thing to say, but if BMW launches a diesel, AWD, manual 3-series wagon in the USA I will almost certainly buy one (and take Euro delivery!), preferably the 335d but I would consider the 2.0L as well. I can afford to put my money where my mouth is; your move, BMW.

Unfortunately, I have no doubts that it will be automatic-only like the previous 335d. :(
:10bux: says every single one of them will be automatic-only, AWD-only, and unavailable sports packages (with possible exception of RWD/AWD on 3-series sedan). It has been confirmed that all USA-spec diesels will be 8-speed autos only.

At least we can now get a proper diesel wagon in the US other than the Jetta. I've already had more than one conversation with the factory sales guys at Mercedes telling them I haven't bought a new E-series yet because I can't get the diesel/wagon combo. I even went so far as to say they should drop the gas wagon model entirely stateside and offer only the diesel. When was the last time you saw a non-diesel Jetta wagon?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Bovril Delight posted:

If this turns out to be the case, I can only hope they release the 3 series with a manual option. I know the previous 335d was only automatic due to BMW saying the manual couldn't handle the torque.

I remember walking into a BMW dealership and the salesmen didn't know that BMW sold a diesel model in the USA but there was a sole 335d on the lot.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CharlesM posted:

The current Car & Driver magazine has an editorial on the death of Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi? You mean Suzuki, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

How bout just a bit more info? Like, what did the author say about the presumed impending death?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EnergizerFellow posted:

When was the last time you saw a non-diesel Jetta wagon?

Isn't that more because they don't sell the better petrol engines in the USA? I reckon the 90TSI is way nicer to drive than the 103TDI, and only marginally less fuel efficient.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, in the US you either get the TDI or the horrible 5 cylinder.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

How bout just a bit more info? Like, what did the author say about the presumed impending death?

I gotta reread it for more specifics and the fact I have poo poo memory, but he mentions the fact DaimlerChrysler had a stake in it and made them share platforms between the Outlander (Sport?), Galant (I think?) and Eclipse (heavy!) to save costs was a very poor choice. They don't have any compelling vehicles and their sales are a fraction of what they were about 10 years ago. He predicts their withdrawal from the U.S. market.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well there goes any hopes of the Evo coming back. Sigh.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Q_res posted:

Yeah, in the US you either get the TDI or the horrible 5 cylinder.
Volkswagen offered a 2.0T FSI Jetta SportWagen in 2009 and it just didn't sell relative to the diesel (that accounts for the vast majority of sales), so they killed the 2.0T. I've only seen one 2.0T wagon in person out in the wild (and occasionally look to find a used 6-speed one for sale).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=25317&id=25316&id=25315&id=25314
http://reviews.cnet.com/wagon/2009-volkswagen-jetta-sportwagen/4505-10866_7-33664882.html

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KidDynamite posted:

on the bright side, the STi is going strong and there are many practical yet fun and somewhat affordable options out there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

To be fair, any hotted-up AWD compact is a hard sell for any company these days; you're taking a fuel economy penalty to have AWD there, and CAFE is going to put the screws to them sooner or later.

Honestly, I don't know how Subaru is going to continue with their all-AWD, all the time lineup.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, any hotted-up AWD compact is a hard sell for any company these days; you're taking a fuel economy penalty to have AWD there, and CAFE is going to put the screws to them sooner or later.

When Mitsubishi was doing 0% APR on them about four years ago, I almost bought a base Evo X, but I balked, in part because the fuel economy was so so so lovely, something like 16/22.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, I don't know how Subaru is going to continue with their all-AWD, all the time lineup.

Betting hard on CAFE light truck loopholes and the CVT.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

CVT and hopefully the diesel version of their engines will help quite a bit.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EnergizerFellow posted:

:10bux: says every single one of them will be automatic-only, AWD-only, and unavailable sports packages (with possible exception of RWD/AWD on 3-series sedan). It has been confirmed that all USA-spec diesels will be 8-speed autos only.

At least we can now get a proper diesel wagon in the US other than the Jetta. I've already had more than one conversation with the factory sales guys at Mercedes telling them I haven't bought a new E-series yet because I can't get the diesel/wagon combo. I even went so far as to say they should drop the gas wagon model entirely stateside and offer only the diesel. When was the last time you saw a non-diesel Jetta wagon?

Agreed on the first points except for AWD; I'd be surprised if they made the diesel available with AWD, let alone AWD only, considering there was no AWD option for the 3 series diesel in the US in the past.

As for the 2.5 Jetta wagon, I see a shocking number of them around the SF bay area. A significant majority are the TDI, but I'd estimate around 15-20% of the wagons I see are the 2.5, and I shake my head every time I see one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Steve French posted:

As for the 2.5 Jetta wagon, I see a shocking number of them around the SF bay area. A significant majority are the TDI, but I'd estimate around 15-20% of the wagons I see are the 2.5, and I shake my head every time I see one.

Can someone catch me up with what's so wrong with the VAG 5 cylinder? I know 2.0 bad 1.8T good, but what's wrong with the 2.5?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Weinertron posted:

Can someone catch me up with what's so wrong with the VAG 5 cylinder? I know 2.0 bad 1.8T good, but what's wrong with the 2.5?

Goes like a 4, drinks like a 6 and is old-school cast iron heavy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is that petrol or diesel 2.5?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Gas NA 2.5 5-cyl making like 170ish hp, diesel 2.0T 4-cyl making 140.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I never really understood the 2.5 engine. It seems like it should be trivial to get the same about of power out of a non-turbo variant of the 2.0L FSI engine. It also seems like they could share a significant number of parts to save money.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

The new Autoboxes are really loving good though and I am moderately regretting getting a 6-speed MT on my F10. First gear is short as poo poo and with all the electronics and poo poo you have to run with your right hand you are really annoyed in traffic.

Still love the MT in my old E46 though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So I've heard about the latest 8-speed autos in the new BMWs. Honestly, I might even consider the 8-speed auto in an AWD 335d Wagon. But if I capitulated on the transmission and went with the auto, it would absolutely have to be the 335d wagon with AWD.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Guinness posted:

So I've heard about the latest 8-speed autos in the new BMWs. Honestly, I might even consider the 8-speed auto in an AWD 335d Wagon. But if I capitulated on the transmission and went with the auto, it would absolutely have to be the 335d wagon with AWD.
Unfortunately, that doesn't exist. It would seem that the Tourings cannot be had as the 335d or X-drive models. I'm pretty sure that the 335d and X-drive are mutually exclusive anyway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You are crushing my dreams. :(

Guess the E46 isn't going anywhere any time soon.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Steve French posted:

Agreed on the first points except for AWD; I'd be surprised if they made the diesel available with AWD, let alone AWD only, considering there was no AWD option for the 3 series diesel in the US in the past.
It's a market demand thing having to do with the snow belt, along with price elasticity of high-income buyers. The E-class, for instance, has an 80%+ AWD take rate on units sold anywhere north of St Louis. That and if you're already laying down the coin for a 5/7-series or X5, what's another ~$2k, relatively speaking? 3-series buyers being a lot more cost-conscious, which makes offering options viable. BMW also has some precedence here with the 5-series wagon being AWD-only before they killed it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't forget how horrible it sounds, like an atomic Cuisinart, honestly if it was a 4 I would have assumed there was something deeply wrong with it. Revs about as slowly as an old big block V8.

Thoroughly unenjoyable motor, that they're killing it is great news as far as I'm concerned.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bovril Delight posted:

Apparently BMW is set to release a score of diesels over the next few years. Next year is a 3 series sedan and a 3 series sportwagen, both presumably with the 2.0L 180hp/280tq turbo diesel BMW has. A 5 series, 7 series, X3 and X5 all eventually follow.

Transport Canada did just finish testing 118d's and sold them off (for export only) now they have a bunch of Citron's and VW bluemotions in there lab.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

There didn't seem to be much chance of that anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

The lancer evo, yes, but imagine an i-MiEV evo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

The lancer evo, yes, but imagine an i-MiEV evo.

Just a side note. I smile every tine I drive by the local mitsu dealer because they are basically a scummy used car dealer that happens to have 20 new mitsubishis on the lot. Their featured vehicle for the last month ha been an 08 King Ranch f-150 with 95k kms on it and they want $33, 995 for it. I paid less than $15k for an 06 with 128k kms and more options

E:dammit, missed the edit button

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

But what I really want to talk about is whether we are now at a moment where a sea change is happening with V8 engines. The new 4.0l Audi V8 is set up similarly to the new BMW turbo V8. The intake and exhaust is reversed, with the intake on the outside and the exhaust in the valley of the engine. This is done presumably because the engine is designed from the ground up for forced induction. The packaging of the exhaust in the valley is a bit more complex and probably requires some expensive heat resistance treatment, especially since the intercoolers are also packed in there. The advantage of this setup is detailed here. Note that the new Ford turbo diesel V8 has the same setup, as did GM's light duty diesel V8 before it was cancelled. Both are presumably also designed from the ground up for forced induction.

So is this how V8s are going to be built in the future then, with the flow reversed to aid turbocharging?

EDIT: Eh, I thought this was the new car thread. Oh well, works just as well here I guess.

I bet it depends on how hard CAFE squeezes. As nicely tuned as new car are, big power is tought to make fuel efficient.

In the 500+hp arena, will there be room for both traditional NA V8s and FI V8s? Presumably, the FI motors will be smaller to make the same power and hopefully be a bit more fuel efficient.

GM just released the GenV smallblock, so that's gonna have a lifespan of at least 10 years.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just a side note. I smile every tine I drive by the local mitsu dealer because they are basically a scummy used car dealer that happens to have 20 new mitsubishis on the lot. Their featured vehicle for the last month ha been an 08 King Ranch f-150 with 95k kms on it and they want $33, 995 for it. I paid less than $15k for an 06 with 128k kms and more options

E:dammit, missed the edit button

This must be a common thing because there's a few of these in my area too. The "Mitsubishi dealer" with a few token Lancers and Outlanders, then a sea of awful cars all with around 90k miles going for $8-9k in their offshoot "King of Credit" lot. I guess it'll be an easy transition when Mitsu finally pulls out of the US, their dealers will just devote more time to ripping used car buyers off.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

I bet it depends on how hard CAFE squeezes. As nicely tuned as new car are, big power is tought to make fuel efficient.

In the 500+hp arena, will there be room for both traditional NA V8s and FI V8s? Presumably, the FI motors will be smaller to make the same power and hopefully be a bit more fuel efficient.

GM just released the GenV smallblock, so that's gonna have a lifespan of at least 10 years.

The thing was that there never really were any turbo charged V8s in the past - How many can you name? I guess for the reasons of the exhaust pulses and packaging. Having an efficient turbo V8 required a completely new ground up engine design, which Audi and BMW have now done. I don't think they are going to make any NA versions of those engines. MB's 5.5l AMG engine still uses a traditional intake/exhaust flow direction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think they are going to make any NA versions of those engines.

Yeah, they certainly don't need to. My main point was what their goals are. The pushrod motors are pretty small and can probably deliver decent emissions/fuel economy. I don't see a majority transition to valley-side exhaust happening in this decade.