Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kazerad posted:

Fun story semi-related to that: my newly acquired Tumblr Hate Squad (I'm a real webcomic creator now! Even if it's only like 5 people I guess)

You aren't a real webcomic creator until people start believing that your fictional characters are their "headmates." :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cat Mattress posted:

I want Katia to go to Border Watch. It's this little village full of Khajiits who are ridiculously friendly and welcoming. Of course they exist in the game only so that you can completely ruin their stuff (causing a vermin infestation, killing all their sheep, raining flaming dogs on their heads, etc.).

Anyway, I'm curious to see how how Kaz would somehow make it a nightmare for Katia to be surrounded by people who are like her and are preternaturally nice.

Innocent town that ends up completely terrified and confused. Just like Katia. Forgive me sheepies. :negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pyradox posted:

I wonder just how much you'd have to tweak it to get authentic sounding procedural dialogue. Like if you would have to include tags for verbose characters, or parts where catchphrases could be added in.

That would be pretty cool if there was a line where a character could decide to use a catchphrase more and that was added to their dialogue as a verbal tic.

I really want to try writing something like this now. Though I think you'd probably have to have a pretty rigidly structured and/or linear story to build it around.

Computer-produced speech is one of those things that's perpetually 20 years away. Word substitutions is basically the best you can do without a strong linguistics background, and even with that, doing anything more advanced is incredibly tricky.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Kazerad posted:

I'll probably do some more Flash in the future. The Java/CSS updates were mainly for shock value; I forget if you guys have seen this little comic or not, but this basically describes the conversation that led to their creation. As much fun as it was to see people's reactions to it, the Java/CSS pages were way more difficult to standardize across browsers. With Flash, people typically can either run it correctly or not at all, which eliminates a lot of cross-platform testing and troubleshooting.
While the HTML5 walkarounds were a good idea in theory, and fun to play around with, there were lots of unexpected issues that came with them, including weird audio errors and glitchy loading of large images. The engine still isn't working 100% on ie9 and opera.

We came up with a semi-automated bug reporting system to see what the major issues were, but trusting the end users to send in good reports is never a good idea, no matter how good your debugger is.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

It's interesting how much character design can show the general demeanor of the characters, the crow there looks like a pretty gloomy guy, the tiger like an upstanding military man.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Commissar posted:

It's interesting how much character design can show the general demeanor of the characters, the crow there looks like a pretty gloomy guy, the tiger like an upstanding military man.

The tiger might just be giving the vulture a "don't even think about it" look...I mean there is a dead body in the room. The Vulture is annoyed by his sense of disapproval for eating the dead body.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

scarycave posted:

The Vulture is annoyed by his sense of disapproval for eating the dead body.
I'm getting more of a "I'm too old for this crap" vibe from him, personally.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So dragon age origins, but with more impact?
Gothic 2 also comes to mind, but again it's relatively limited: basically to progress in the story, the player has to choose one of three guilds near the start. Depending on the guilds, character interactions change, you get access to unique quest, while being barred from the ones for the other guilds, and so on. The end of the game is the same, and ultimately the PC does work for everyone, but the differences are kept throughout the game. It's more of a neat touch than being a game-changer, except maybe for amount of background information (if I remember correctly, Fire Mages get the most lore out of all), since the final area and ending remain unchanged.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

From the webcomics thread:

Piedmon Sama posted:

I know the moment's kinda passed on this but I wanted to say that when I started playing Morrowind and Oblivion (I did both at the same time), knowing nothing about the lore and just wandering around I thought Bethesda had made the Empire/Tamriel into something like Fantasy Star-Trek where racism is gone and everybody within the Empire shared the same vaguely homogenous culture. That's how it definitely comes off until you read the lore and learn it's supposed to be a much more conventional "light elves hate dark elves and all elves hate men and everybody hates orcs" kinda D&D setting. I still think it would actually be cool and different to do a fantasy setting that's become so cosmopolitan nobody even notices if your bartender or shopkeep is an orc or an elf, but that usually gets restricted to fantasy parody or something.

Cat Mattress posted:

Morrowind is a super-racist setting where it's kinda obvious that the Dunmer have their own culture and reject/resent the Imperial culture. "You n'wah!"

Yeah, the imperials dressing as roman centurions is a not-so-subtle hint. There's actually a lot of hints once you start looking. The first dungeon at the start of the game is inhabited by dunmer slavers and a cage full of cat-people begging to be freed, one of whom later turns up working for the Twin Lamps, a group fighting against slavery. There's also the way cities have dramatically different architecture, and ethnic populations to match. There's even divisions within races such as the discrimination between the various Dunmer houses, some of whom support the Imperial colonists, and others which are more concerned with preserving their independence.

I don't blame anyone for missing that stuff though, since the game never explicitly explains this stuff. It's a pretty dry game, one consequence of there being no cutscenes and hardly any voice-acting.

Oblivion is another matter though. Sure there is racism, but you have to go out of your way to find it, and it isn't shown as having much of an impact on anybody.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I did get that there's tension between Morrowind and the Imperials sure, but it's initially underplayed in actual experience since there's literally NPCs of just about every race in every town. Having played Skyrim I think it's by far the most racially un-integrated game, whereas in Morrowind I saw tons of Bosmer, High Elves, Redguard, Nords and Bretons running bars or businesses or just chillin' in the street. Even Redoran, who are supposed to be as I take it the ultra-orthodox dudes, have a Redguard greeter in their headquarters.

E: Also I gotta say hearing the same four voices for the entire population of Cyrodill/Skyrim made me pretty nostalgic for the Morrowind text boxes.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 6, 2012

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
In the first town there's a single Bosmer guy that nobody loving likes because he's a Bosmer. Another dude tells you to steal all of his worldly possessions; if you end up killing him in the process there is an extremely high probability that nobody will give a poo poo because gently caress wood elves.

House Telvanni is made up entirely of dark elf racismancers who support slavery and literally do not regard Argonians/Khajiit as people. IIRC Redoran is considered irritatingly orthodox by the Empire but seen as a pack of limp-wristed hippies by Telvanni, on the grounds that they are not sufficiently devoted to the Dunmer traditions of "gently caress every single person who isn't a Dunmer and also a lot of people who are."

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Haha Tumblr is making GBS threads itself over this comic all of a sudden, this is excellent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Haledjian posted:

Haha Tumblr is making GBS threads itself over this comic all of a sudden, this is excellent.

I don't tumble. Do you have a synopsis?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I haven't been following, but browsing the tag seems pretty amusing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Prapequel.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

It's creepy furries versus SJers, it's wonderful :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Before you mock tumblr here remember that similar points have been brought up in-thread. But that's not to denigrate the posters who brought them up. Just saying, many times I'd be all for making GBS threads on stupid tumblrs but I'm not sure this is the time to poo poo rather than to refute in a calm and reasonable manner.

It's time for me to abscond the thread for a while, I think Prequel is ultimately harmless but I don't know how to defend any points I make and don't want to either.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Before you mock tumblr here remember that similar points have been brought up in-thread. But that's not to denigrate the posters who brought them up. Just saying, many times I'd be all for making GBS threads on stupid tumblrs but I'm not sure this is the time to poo poo rather than to refute in a calm and reasonable manner.

It's time for me to abscond the thread for a while, I think Prequel is ultimately harmless but I don't know how to defend any points I make and don't want to either.
I mean, I probably spent more time arguing those exact points in this thread than anyone. The Tumblrites are just taking it into typically arm-flailing territory (i.e. from "this comic has some really distasteful rape gags" to "this is a comic that is about rape for rapists").

Though to be honest I think that's at least as much of a Webcomic Hate Circlejerk thing as a Tumblr SJ thing. They make each other stronger. I think there's a little bit of a feedback loop happening here. Also, the superfans arguing against the existence of subtext are at least as bad.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 7, 2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The difference between this thread and tumblr's reaction is that the people in this thread listened to what Kazerad said and, if not agreeing with all the points he made, everyone was at least reassured that the author is thinking about that sort of stuff and not just mindlessly flaunting social justice in the comic. People on tumblr, on the other hand, ignore everything Kazerad says and persist in hating the comic while continuing to picture the author as yet another mindless perverted troglodyte who's actively promoting rape culture and such.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

I haven't been following, but browsing the tag seems pretty amusing.

If only for the random non-related prequel stuff inserted in the middle, like gory gifs about some The Thing prequel named It's not human yet or Prometheus.

Anyway, the best comment was this:

pyramidslayer posted:

if prequel wins the election i'm moving to canada i swear to god

builditupanddown posted:

Why do goons like prequel even though it's obviously fanfiction?

I mean, I thought SA’s general attitude was that fandom is inherently bad? But I’ve only ever lurked the forums so I wouldn’t really know.
That's a good question! My take on it is simple: Fandom is inherently bad when it has a cutesy group name. For example:
Person A says "I like Star Trek/Homestuck/MLP/whatever", person B says "I'm a trekkie/homestuck/brony/whatever". Person A might turn out to be decent after all, but person B is irredeemable.

Every rule needs its exception, and in this case it's Ctrl-Alt-Delete. People who like CAD are irredeemable, but :cadfan: not necessarily so.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Person A says "I like Star Trek/Homestuck/MLP/whatever", person B says "I'm a trekkie/homestuck/brony/whatever". Person A might turn out to be decent after all, but person B is irredeemable.

We're all 'prequelites' here, confirm/deny.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 7, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

We're all alone here with our Khajit headmates.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'm thinking "Katiaddicts".

Gotta work that wordplay!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

KaneTW posted:

We're all alone here with our Khajit headmates.

:getin:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

A.o.D. posted:

I don't tumble. Do you have a synopsis?

There isn't much to synopsize, sadly. It's a couple people from SA who really don't like me. Someone prompted them to start posting under the Prequel tag, and 4chan has been getting a kick out of it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kazerad posted:

There isn't much to synopsize, sadly. It's a couple people from SA who really don't like me. Someone prompted them to start posting under the Prequel tag, and 4chan has been getting a kick out of it.

Do you have any hate threads with funny edits yet? I don't think the fanboys online guy ever had a straight up hate thread, but he did listen to a lot of complaints about his comic, many of which originated from something awful's goons (what a cutesy name!) and he used it to improve his work.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Maybe we can all get along and agree that, at one time or another, we've all had a little ballstink turdsludge inside of us.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 8, 2012

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Do you have any hate threads with funny edits yet? I don't think the fanboys online guy ever had a straight up hate thread, but he did listen to a lot of complaints about his comic, many of which originated from something awful's goons (what a cutesy name!) and he used it to improve his work.

Sadly no, I don't think any of the haters are really that dedicated. It's already getting kind of boring and tapering off, though at least it lasted long enough for the phrase "ballstink turdsludge" to be created. I haven't encountered a single person who didn't like that one.

Overall I guess it was a fairly rewarding experience, at least for me. I had a number of people commend me for how I handled it, and saw a few individuals say they hadn't read the comic before but decided to check it out after seeing how mad I made Tumblr. I think I owe part of the positive response to lucky timing, since this happened so soon after the Jeph Jacques Tumblr incident; more than once already I've seen people compare our reactions as "how to handle tumblr drama" versus "how not to". In terms of pure numbers, my website traffic today is the highest it's been on a non-update day in a while. Not to mention tons of new people following my Tumblr that I never use for anything other than posting replies. Maybe I should start using it for update notifications or something.

I do feel sorry for some of the other people involved, though. When I invited any of the critics to contact me via messenger, most of what I got was fanmail and embarrassed tumblr users awkwardly apologizing to me for how their friends were acting. Also, I heard that the author of Monster Pulse, despite never having read Prequel, was getting some harassment from Prequel fans after she Liked one of the hate posts. It's kind of a shame, considering any of my readers would probably love her comic if introduced to it under better circumstances. I sent her an email apologizing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The best edits were where that guy re-hosted the comic and edited all the dialogue because he couldn't understand subtext or sarcasm :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kazy posted:

The best edits were where that guy re-hosted the comic and edited all the dialogue because he couldn't understand subtext or sarcasm :allears:

Oh yeah, that was some autistic guy, didn't he claim to be the actual author on another forum or something?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kazerad posted:

It's already getting kind of boring and tapering off, though at least it lasted long enough for the phrase "ballstink turdsludge" to be created. I haven't encountered a single person who didn't like that one.

You realize now that you have to work that into the comic.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kazy posted:

You need to link to this. Now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh yeah, that was some autistic guy, didn't he claim to be the actual author on another forum or something?

No, he claimed the original website was dead and that he was doing the original author a service by rehosting and improving it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Megazver posted:

You need to link to this. Now.

Here's Kazerad on the subject.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Kazerad posted:

Sadly no, I don't think any of the haters are really that dedicated. It's already getting kind of boring and tapering off, though at least it lasted long enough for the phrase "ballstink turdsludge" to be created. I haven't encountered a single person who didn't like that one.

Overall I guess it was a fairly rewarding experience, at least for me. I had a number of people commend me for how I handled it, and saw a few individuals say they hadn't read the comic before but decided to check it out after seeing how mad I made Tumblr. I think I owe part of the positive response to lucky timing, since this happened so soon after the Jeph Jacques Tumblr incident; more than once already I've seen people compare our reactions as "how to handle tumblr drama" versus "how not to". In terms of pure numbers, my website traffic today is the highest it's been on a non-update day in a while. Not to mention tons of new people following my Tumblr that I never use for anything other than posting replies. Maybe I should start using it for update notifications or something.

I do feel sorry for some of the other people involved, though. When I invited any of the critics to contact me via messenger, most of what I got was fanmail and embarrassed tumblr users awkwardly apologizing to me for how their friends were acting. Also, I heard that the author of Monster Pulse, despite never having read Prequel, was getting some harassment from Prequel fans after she Liked one of the hate posts. It's kind of a shame, considering any of my readers would probably love her comic if introduced to it under better circumstances. I sent her an email apologizing.

What did Jeph Jacques do on tumblr? I realize it's not very hard to make somebody mad on tumblr (disagree with them, laugh, etc) but I"m curious.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

SpookyLizard posted:

What did Jeph Jacques do on tumblr? I realize it's not very hard to make somebody mad on tumblr (disagree with them, laugh, etc) but I"m curious.

People were giving him poo poo about not drawing a character with body image issues fat enough (despite it being really clear that most of said issues were unfounded), and he had a breakdown due to not having any coping mechanisms since he just quit smoking a couple weeks ago and quit drinking a little longer ago. During said breakdown he drank a bottle of whiskey and stabbed himself in the hand.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eldoop posted:

People were giving him poo poo about not drawing a character with body image issues fat enough (despite it being really clear that most of said issues were unfounded), and he had a breakdown due to not having any coping mechanisms since he just quit smoking a couple weeks ago and quit drinking a little longer ago. During said breakdown he drank a bottle of whiskey and stabbed himself in the hand.

:stare:

Well I'm glad that Kazerad knows how to handle sass from random people on the internet!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Kazerad, please do not mutilate your body over fictional catgirls.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Volmarias posted:

:stare:

Well I'm glad that Kazerad knows how to handle sass from random people on the internet!

To be fair it was less random sass that caused it and more that random sass popped a huge bubble of other issues he was holding onto. Well, that and falling off the wagon.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Pakled posted:

Kazerad, please do not mutilate your body over fictional catgirls.

The closest I came was when Katia was abseiling down into the well. I wasn't sure exactly how that would backfire so I did what any reasonable writer would do: a dülfersitz rappel off a balcony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Can I just pop in and say that Katia waving that stick around like she did when she was a kitten is just really :3: okay thanks bye.

• Locked thread