Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Your second paragraph was when I stopped reading, I think that machine is pretty much a massive lemon. Polite e-mail/call to Apple support with all your receipts/work-orders for the repairs handy, and they should hopefully take care of you with a new machine.

I would have thought you'd been good after the logic board replacement, but geez, that's miserable.

e: by new machine I mean a new or refurbed entirely different machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

Is Memtest OS X from here http://www.memtestosx.org/joomla/index.php still the best thing to use to check for corrupt RAM?

My Early 2011 MBP literally just came back from it's oh, seventh time getting replacement hardware in the Genius Bar yesterday for a recurring but intermittent issue where either the battery or wifi card start freaking out and reporting that they're not installed or turned off/not charging, and now both of those issues have disappeared again but I'm left with laggy behaviour, distortion on iTunes audio output, and graphics corruption across the system. Have attached some screenshots but this is indicative of RAM failure in my past tech support experience, and certainly seems more prominent when running internal graphics:

(Path bar on the second shot) Another example is that there are two cursors displayed on screen during login, one that moves, and one 'dead' image.

Machine is out of warranty now and no AppleCare, but these issues started way before the warranty expired and at this point they've replaced the wifi hardware four times, the logic board once, the screen assembly twice as the first time round they stuck a normal res replacement screen on instead of the high res upgrade, and all internal cabling twice. Worked fine after that little blitz for a month or so and then the battery started going crazy, disconnecting and reseating the battery fixed that but then the wifi issue returned, and now I'm stuck with this RAM issue.

Luckily I haven't been asked to pay for anything as yet but I'd like to think that's partly due to my relatively extensive documenting of the issue in the past, so would like to test again at this point. If replacing the RAM doesn't solve everything once and for all I'd be well within reason to push for a replacement even if only a refurbed machine, right?
First shot: :psyboom:

The other two I've seen here and there, and in particular the latter is something that's been complained about in the software thread a number of times. That one seems to be a Mountain Lion and/or Safari bug.

Considering the first shot and the rest of the issues you mention I'd guess it's a lemon too.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Just dump it on eBay and run. Unless Apple offers you a refurb as a replacement or something. Don't bother with the memory.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Just dump it on eBay and run. Unless Apple offers you a refurb as a replacement or something. Don't bother with the memory.

Having bought lemons, do not do this. If you do it on eBay, it will not work as you're fully accountable anyway. If you do it on CL where "there are no rules" or something, the person will want to find you and destroy you.

Sell it for parts, or part it out yourself, or sell it "as-is". You can certainly squeeze some out of the chassis, storage, etc.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Desperate to order an iMac..but no preorders and no 27" until December..

BUT I WANT IT NOW

Even been looking for 2011 models but these are few and far between. I'm not keen on a 2nd user model.

Are there any clues on when will Apple announce release dates yet?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

It sounds like it's still under warranty/apple care. This is a bad idea when it's up to Apple to fix the problem.

oversteer posted:

Desperate to order an iMac..but no preorders and no 27" until December..

BUT I WANT IT NOW

Even been looking for 2011 models but these are few and far between. I'm not keen on a 2nd user model.

Are there any clues on when will Apple announce release dates yet?

Usually when they say coming in X month, that tends to end up being the very last day of the month. However, I'm assuming they'll want to get it out before the last couple weeks in December due to the holidays. My guess would be no later than the 14th.

I've been ready to buy since early last month and have been keeping my eye on it too. I'd like to get it before the end of the year for tax purposes.

As for 2011's the refurb section on the Apple store has 3 different 27" models available. They're indistinguishable from new and carry the full Apple warranty. I have my eye on them too but the discount doesn't seem steep enough to me.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 7, 2012

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Haggins posted:

It sounds like it's still under warranty/apple care. This is a bad idea when it's up to Apple to fix the problem.

The dude quite literally said it is out of warranty.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

1997 posted:

The dude quite literally said it is out of warranty.

Well I'm confused. He said he just got it back from the Genius Bar for a hardware replacement but it's not under warranty? What's the gap?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Haggins posted:

Well I'm confused. He said he just got it back from the Genius Bar for a hardware replacement but it's not under warranty? What's the gap?

Good point, he should still have a 90 day window from his last repair if he's supposed to be out of warranty.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Quick question for those of you who ordered a Mac during the $100 App Store back to school promotion.

When your card came in, I assume it had your name on it right?

Because my wife never received hers, and fast forward to last month, her room mate said a $100 app store gift card came in the mail and she told me to redeem it under my account without mentioning anything else.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Quick question for those of you who ordered a Mac during the $100 App Store back to school promotion.

When your card came in, I assume it had your name on it right?

Because my wife never received hers, and fast forward to last month, her room mate said a $100 app store gift card came in the mail and she told me to redeem it under my account without mentioning anything else.

I don't recall there being any personalization. I mean, it should have been sent in the name of whoever purchased the machine but the physical card won't have a name on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone had their Magic Trackpad start to wear out on them? I've had mine for almost 2 years and it seems like sometimes the left corner of it sticks when I click, and I end up dragging when I don't mean to. At first I thought it was because the table I was using is warped or something but it's perfectly level. I can't really reproduce it but it does it when I'm not expecting.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you bought anything from Apple with an Amex (and I think certain Visa cards) and it had AppleCare (or even not), you automatically have warranty for I think another 1.5 years after the AppleCare runs out. You will need to get a quote for repair from Apple and pass it off to Amex along with potentially a quote indicating market value of the machine if they're going to decide if it's "totalled" basically.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone had their Magic Trackpad start to wear out on them? I've had mine for almost 2 years and it seems like sometimes the left corner of it sticks when I click, and I end up dragging when I don't mean to. At first I thought it was because the table I was using is warped or something but it's perfectly level. I can't really reproduce it but it does it when I'm not expecting.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it's been doing that recently - also the left corner and not reproducible. It sits on a glass desktop so it's not due to the surface. I figured I had spilled something at some point and it was sticking, but maybe it's just wearing out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Soup in a Bag posted:

I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it's been doing that recently - also the left corner and not reproducible. It sits on a glass desktop so it's not due to the surface. I figured I had spilled something at some point and it was sticking, but maybe it's just wearing out.

Good to see I'm not the only one. It's like it doesn't pop back up. I can get it to do it if I press down on the corner, and then move the mouse, sometimes it's in drag mode.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Can a 15inch rMBP drive two external monitors reasonably well? Or would I be asking for trouble.

I want to get more screen real esate, and am debating between just putting together a Hackintosh and keeping my Air, or upgrading to the rMBP 15inch. Or I could just go new iMac.

One laptop is less 'fuss' but I've heard the GPU on the 15inch has a tough time with just it's own display, so it's hard for me to see it driving 2 other displays while simultaneously driving its own.

Suggestions?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kalix posted:

Can a 15inch rMBP drive two external monitors reasonably well? Or would I be asking for trouble.

I want to get more screen real esate, and am debating between just putting together a Hackintosh and keeping my Air, or upgrading to the rMBP 15inch. Or I could just go new iMac.

One laptop is less 'fuss' but I've heard the GPU on the 15inch has a tough time with just it's own display, so it's hard for me to see it driving 2 other displays while simultaneously driving its own.

Suggestions?
It works perfectly fine if you've got the MBP in clamshell mode. If you've got the retina screen on as well as the external monitors it will start to choke a bit on swiping between spaces and when moving windows around but it's still usable. I haven't tried it with 3 monitors as well as the retina screen but it seemed to handle a Thunderbolt Display and a Dell 27" at the same time just fine.

Something to consider is that the default full screen mode is garbage with two monitors as it leaves one of them as the grey linen pattern while the app is open on the other, effectively making one of them useless. If you're not using full screen (or you're using something like VMware Fusion which has its own full screen mode) then this won't be an issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Good to see I'm not the only one. It's like it doesn't pop back up. I can get it to do it if I press down on the corner, and then move the mouse, sometimes it's in drag mode.
Hmm, I've had it since it came out (around 2.5 years apparently) and haven't had an issue yet...but I don't use the physical click much at all.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Neurophonic posted:

Luckily I haven't been asked to pay for anything as yet but I'd like to think that's partly due to my relatively extensive documenting of the issue in the past, so would like to test again at this point. If replacing the RAM doesn't solve everything once and for all I'd be well within reason to push for a replacement even if only a refurbed machine, right?

I've been told by a Genius after a second major repair(logic board) and I've heard this corroborated in this thread, that after 3 major repairs Apple replaces the computer.

This was also while I was well within my AppleCare coverage, so I don't know if this is true with out-of-warranty machines. Just thought I'd share this.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Mercurius posted:

It works perfectly fine if you've got the MBP in clamshell mode. If you've got the retina screen on as well as the external monitors it will start to choke a bit on swiping between spaces and when moving windows around but it's still usable. I haven't tried it with 3 monitors as well as the retina screen but it seemed to handle a Thunderbolt Display and a Dell 27" at the same time just fine.

Good to know about the rMBP. It can also drive 3 external screens in clamshell, right?

Do you find the lack of a focal point with dual monitors kind of awkward? When I use two, I had one larger monitor and one smaller one -- the larger being the natural focal point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kalix posted:

Do you find the lack of a focal point with dual monitors kind of awkward? When I use two, I had one larger monitor and one smaller one -- the larger being the natural focal point.

I'm trying to use one monitor instead of two for a few days at work - I feel distracted with the other screen, and you can only really focus on one screen/window at a time anyway.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kalix posted:

Good to know about the rMBP. It can also drive 3 external screens in clamshell, right?

You have to put the menubar on one of the screens. I find that that screen just becomes the focal point, with the other holding some secondary window like documentation that occasionally gets referenced.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kalix posted:

It can actually drive three external displays plus the retina, it just struggles with it.

I personally dislike using multiple monitors with OS X so I just use it in clamshell with a 24" Dell at work, the retina screen while I'm mobile and the 27" Thunderbolt Display while at home.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

empty baggie posted:

I don't recall there being any personalization. I mean, it should have been sent in the name of whoever purchased the machine but the physical card won't have a name on it.

I know the card won't have the name but I assume the outer envelope the card came in would have it?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

lol internet. posted:

I know the card won't have the name but I assume the outer envelope the card came in would have it?
Well, yeah. It's gonna have to be addressed to somebody of course, and it would have been in the name of whoever made the original purchase.

If you mean the sleeve the card is in and not the mailing envelope, then no, I don't think it has a name on it.

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
If found outside nmp3s, please return.
Would I notice a significant increase between a 2010 core 2 duo mac mini and a 2012 macbook air?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Communist posted:

Would I notice a significant increase between a 2010 core 2 duo mac mini and a 2012 macbook air?
Yeah, graphics and CPU performance are both around 2x I think. Going by Geekbench the fastest 2012 MBA gets around 7500, while the fastest 2010 Mac mini gets around 4000.

And that's not counting the MBA's SSD vs (default) slow rear end platter drive in the Mac mini, which in many cases makes the biggest difference in feel.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
How long does it normally take to get a customized order in? I placed an order for a customized rMBP about 10 days ago and it still shows not shipped. I did place this order though a reseller and not directly through Apple since thats where we have credit terms.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Syano posted:

How long does it normally take to get a customized order in? I placed an order for a customized rMBP about 10 days ago and it still shows not shipped. I did place this order though a reseller and not directly through Apple since thats where we have credit terms.

That's about right. I'd be surprised if it doesn't ship in the next day or so.

Doesn't it have an estimated delivery date?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

FrenchToasty posted:

Doesn't it have an estimated delivery date?

Negative. Its no big deal I just was curious. Thought maybe the storms in the northeast may be causing shipping delays countrywide.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Hey all, I've been debating on selling my base retina as I have a number of bills that I would like to pay off. I got this as a replacement for my Early 2011 15", and I moved the remaining Applecare over to it (~2 years left).

Does asking for $1800 USD sound unreasonable for the machine?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I decided to go to the Apple store to get my old battery replaced after everyone suggested getting a 1st part battery, and the battery life is horrible. I maybe get 2 or 3 hours of regular internet browsing out of it. This seems like about half of the battery life I got before my old one crapped out.

Is it more likely that I got a bad battery or is my HDD on it's way out? I ask this because my computer still gets crazy hot despite the new battery and it is really slow to boot up. I don't know that much about this stuff and I don't want to go yell at apple about giving me a defective battery if it's not actually the battery.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So...say I installed an ssd but don't have a torque screwdriver or whatever it's called to get the screws off the old hard drive..wi this matter?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Guni posted:

So...say I installed an ssd but don't have a torque screwdriver or whatever it's called to get the screws off the old hard drive..wi this matter?
Yes, please transfer those screws. It won't hurt things (probably) if you don't, but the rattle will drive you nuts.

A Torx 6 screwdriver will run you a buck or two on the Internet, so it's not like its a huge savings to skip it.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
I did this for a week or two before I finally remembered to buy a set of screwdrivers with the right size/type bit on the end to move them over. It was annoying hearing the SSD move inside the case when I picked the laptop up, but no technical problems resulted.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NerdsMcGee posted:

Hey all, I've been debating on selling my base retina as I have a number of bills that I would like to pay off. I got this as a replacement for my Early 2011 15", and I moved the remaining Applecare over to it (~2 years left).

Does asking for $1800 USD sound unreasonable for the machine?
There's one for $2000 in SA-Mart right now - see what it ends up selling for.

Sonic Dude posted:

Yes, please transfer those screws. It won't hurt things (probably) if you don't, but the rattle will drive you nuts.

A Torx 6 screwdriver will run you a buck or two on the Internet, so it's not like its a huge savings to skip it.

I use a pair of needlenose pliers to get them on. Just clamp down and turn.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does the 13" MBPr not turbo up or something?

The 2.0GHz i7 in the Air turbos up to 2.6GHz, while the 2.5GHz i5 in the Retina turbos up to 3.1GHz

Even with i5 vs i7 you'd expect the faster clocked Retina to be be faster than the Air, unless the graphics are really holding it back that much - but that shouldn't factor into the CPU test right?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sonic Dude posted:

You can also gently just use some pliers to move them, just don't crush or ruin them. I did this once when I had forgotten my tools.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Does the 13" MBPr not turbo up or something?

I believe Geekbench results are a combination of CPU, GPU, and memory scores, so if you don't have a GPU that can crank it up (like most integrated GPUs) the score is lower.

Bob Morales posted:

I use a pair of needlenose pliers to get them on. Just clamp down and turn.

IMHO don't loving do this. The chances for hilarity trying to grip a round screw with needlenose pincers and then having it squib out from gripping it too hard and disappear into hyperspace are too high.

You can go to any goddamn Shadio Rack and get Torx 6 screwdrivers, or even those places that seems to be everywhere.. um, Lowes? Home Depot? Sears? Just use the right tool for the right job and mourn the $3-5 bucks you gave to the man later.

But if you want to give an AASP or Apple Store tech a good laugh, go right ahead, the burrs and toolmarks are dead giveaways for those who try too hard.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I believe Geekbench results are a combination of CPU, GPU, and memory scores, so if you don't have a GPU that can crank it up (like most integrated GPUs) the score is lower.
But it should still be ~ 500MHz faster in the CPU benchmark than the MBA, right? Maybe it's just the i7/i5 difference.

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO don't loving do this. The chances for hilarity trying to grip a round screw with needlenose pincers and then having it squib out from gripping it too hard and disappear into hyperspace are too high.

It takes quite a few turns to get the screw out of the HD - and really it's just that first 1/4 turn you need to break it free. Mine came out with a pretty gentle grip.

All computer geeks should have a good assortment of tiny screwdrivers, though.