Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Misogynist posted:

I don't mean to be a complete pedant, but the prog thread is probably the best place on the forums for that -- this is like saying someone was "executed to death."

You can be electrocuted and not die.

Edit: What a great way to start the new page. gently caress.

vvv I swear the definition was to be badly injured or killed, but that works. If you're SUPER badass, you can be electrocuted and not die. ;)

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

You can be electrocuted and not die.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/electrocute

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derail

While we're posting links, here's a cool 1973 performance of King Crimson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCed47HdRu8

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
For whatever reason, live performances of LTiA Part 1 never really do it for me. They always seem to come off as kind of limp compared to the studio version—strange because it's one of my favorite King Crimson songs, and it's difficult to think of another instance where Crimson haven't surpassed the studio version of a song live. I think it's because Fripp doesn't use that aggressive, fuzzy tone on the proto-THRAKking bit, or he's too low in the mix, or something.

Always great to see Jamie Muir in action, though.

Edit: I guess FraKctured never really killed either, but the band explicitly said they dropped it from their setlists because it was too difficult to play well consistently. It's also a mystery to me why '70s King Crimson didn't play Great Deceiver much, though I suspect it's for similar reasons.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 11, 2012

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there any recommended prog bands with female vocals?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

For modern stuff I've heard decent things about District 97 and Panic Room. Panic Room's got some Karnataka members IIRC.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Irritated Goat posted:

Here are some more modern groups: Paatos, Elfonia (the singer would later go onto Ayreon and Stream of Passion), Magenta, Akin, MoeTar, Dial (which also features Kristoffer Gildenlow), and Ruby Bullet.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Irritated Goat posted:

We were just talking about Renaissance (start with Song of Scheherazade, Novella, or one of their live albums), but there's also Curved Air. I highly recommend their albums Air Conditioning and Air Cut.

On the avant-prog side of things, there's Henry Cow beginning with the Slapp Happy collaboration Desperate Straights, Art Bears, and Thinking Plague. The best entry point for Thinking Plague would probably be In Extremis (Dead Silence is awesome, and one of their more accessible songs), though I don't think they've ever released a weak album.

Edit: Oh, and Charming Hostess, who in their earlier "big band" era were an interesting mixture of avant-prog, Middle Eastern folk, and pop rock. Punch is a fantastic album.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2012

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

PRR's first album has an awesome female vocalist. Their second album is good if you like electronic music and seriously don't listen to their third album.

tentril
May 9, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

Devin Townsend's Addicted has a fair number of tracks, and like TheForgotten said, listen to Ayreon. Lots of good vocalists of whatever gender, and The Human Equation is so good.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Another prog band with female vocals that I've been into lately would be White Willow. Mostly Autumn and newer Anathema also feature some quality female vocals on several songs.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
She isn't making prog music per se, but I think a few folks in here might dig Jenny Hval.

Portrait of the Young Girl as an Artist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLHOqkwAS0

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Hawklad posted:

Another prog band with female vocals that I've been into lately would be White Willow.
I was going to post them as well. Terminal Twilight is a fantastic album.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Nosferatu Man posted:

She isn't making prog music per se, but I think a few folks in here might dig Jenny Hval.

Portrait of the Young Girl as an Artist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLHOqkwAS0
Thank you so much for posting this, I've not been able to stop listening, she's incredible. The whole album is on Spotify by the way, as are her two previous albums under the moniker Rockettothesky.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012
Does Wishbone Ash have any good albums other than Argus

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Anathema feature their female vocalist relatively heavily on their latest, Weather Systems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0tkGtYpKJ0

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I listened to some Hidria Spacefolk for the first time the other day. Psychedelic instrumental prog. Really good stuff, but I got this sensation in all the tracks that I could sort of 'feel' where the vocals would have gone if they had them, and I can't help but wonder to myself if I would have liked them even more with vocals.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are there many good prog bands who use 8 string guitars? I need some new ideas for my 8 string playing but most of the poo poo I've found is djent abuse and such. It's a shame too because 8 strings are prog heaven.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there many good prog bands who use 8 string guitars? I need some new ideas for my 8 string playing but most of the poo poo I've found is djent abuse and such. It's a shame too because 8 strings are prog heaven.

You might check out T.R.A.M., which is a kinda proggy, jazzy side project of Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes from Animals as Leaders. Granted, I love Animals as Leaders, and I guess they're djent, but T.R.A.M. is way different.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDmxzUxXRg

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

You might check out T.R.A.M., which is a kinda proggy, jazzy side project of Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes from Animals as Leaders. Granted, I love Animals as Leaders, and I guess they're djent, but T.R.A.M. is way different.

Oh man, I forgot about T.R.A.M. I meant to check them out during the height of my Animals as Leaders binge (saw them live! :)) but never did. Perfect time.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

vedicardi posted:

Does Wishbone Ash have any good albums other than Argus

Nothing quite as good, but I really like First Light (released in 2007 but recorded in 1970, with many of the songs on it being released on their s/t album with different mixing and slightly different songwriting). I actually prefer it over the s/t release. Errors of My Way is one of their best songs.

As for other stuff, meh, I can take it or leave it. I remember Pilgrimage being pretty good though it's been a while since I've heard it. Wishbone Four has some awesome songs, namely So Many Things to Say and Rock 'n' Roll Widow. Awesome slide guitar on these. Too bad the album kinda sounds like poo poo -- the volume is ridiculously low and it just sounds kinda dull. It'd definitely benefit from a remix/remaster.

Their albums are generally spotty, though, and I think the only ones I'd call "prog" are the ones leading up to and including Argus.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Has anybody here listened to the Larks' Tongues 40th anniversary edition? I am especially curious about the alternate mixes done by Wilson. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (cd/dvda).

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
The Wilson remix of the actual album is amazing, in my opinion. Crystal clear mix and much improved from the 30th Anniversary edition. Of the extras, I've only heard the three bonus tracks that came with the audio CD version. These are:

- an alternate take of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One. The mix is different on the initial build-up on the thumb piano or whatever the hell that thing was, with various other little things up front on the mix, and it sounds slightly rawer. The other major thing is the David Cross improv in the middle is cut out, as is the end build-up and climax. Instead, there's a fade-in of Fripp's coda, way more up-front, as well as the collage of voices that end the track. I'm actually really keen on this take; it feels more cohesive. I don't think it's better than the original but I've found myself giving it a lot of repeat listens.

- an alternate, more stripped-down take of Book of Saturday, with Wetton's vocals and a really basic backing by Fripp (well, basic for Fripp, anyway). It sounds almost folky.

- an alternate "mix" of the Talking Drum; again, rougher sounding, and with a slightly different balance of instruments up front. I'm really not sure why this is called an alternate mix, however, because the climax is totally different (though equally hosed up and atonal), with Fripp's guitar providing the lead and Cross' violin providing backup.

I'm really happy with the bonus tracks overall, I think these are some of the best bonus tracks on a Crimson 40th Anniversary release yet, or at least on par with In the Court of the Crimson King's ones. Way more insightful than Red's trio versions or Discipline's instrumental takes and sound collages, though.

edit: I'm comparing the intro to Larks' Tongues Part 1 between the 30th and 40th Anniversary versions. 40th version has no tape hiss audible and the weird chromatic guitar chugging that was barely audible in the 30th Anniversary version is given some breathing room in the 40th version and while not brought to the forefront of the music, it's way more audible. I think, overall, the biggest difference is in the heavy sections, though. It sounds so... expansive. Looking back, the 30th Anniversary version feels compressed as hell.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 30, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Cory and Trevor posted:

Has anybody here listened to the Larks' Tongues 40th anniversary edition? I am especially curious about the alternate mixes done by Wilson. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (cd/dvda).

My copy arrived four days ago, and I've been slowing wading through it (I got the 15-disc box set edition). The new mixes by Steven Wilson are amazing. Everything comes through very clearly. They even included an isolated track of Jamie on Easy Money. It's pretty cool. Steven's mixes really let you hear exactly what everyone's doing. You'll have at least one "I never noticed that before" moment in every song. Next I'll be working my way through all the live shows.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just heard Larks' Tongues In Aspic for the first time last week (finally found a vinyl copy), I'll probably end up getting the SW mix. That man can do no wrong :allears: It's a hell of an album too, those crushing guitars in part 1 are incredible.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Yeah, Steven Wilson is a loving machine. He's remastering the King Crimson catalog, as well as Jethro Tull and Emerson Lake & Palmer (although maybe he's just doing selected recordings from those two bands). I'm pretty sure he's done a few other prog rock remix/remasters as well.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Thank you kindly for your thoughts. I have the 30th edition as well, and have never been happy with the mix. Sounds like Wilson is gonna make me happy!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I was fortunate enough this past Saturday to get the mega box of "Larks Tongues in Aspic" the same day I was to see Ian Anderson perform "Thick As A Brick" 1 and 2. Quite a prog weekend. It was basically Jethro Tull without Martin Barre, and the skits were hilarious.

I plan to crank this 5.1 mix soon. I was fortunate to see the live footage on the dvd, with Jamie Muir lurking about, but this was all before he began biting on blood capsules in concert and freaking out the audience.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I don't know if anyone has talked about them in this thread before, but I'm crazy for Beardfish right now. Best modern prog I've heard since Pain of Salvation (though they're not at all alike).

Links!
Akakabotu (instrumental)
Tightrope (very Jethro Tull-ish)
Ludvig & Sverker (just owns)

fake edit: apparently they got a shoutout back on the second page, before their best drat albums came out.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Get everything you can get from their back catalogue as well, because it's all pretty good. My personal favourite is Destined Solitaire (which was also the first one I heard), but Sleeping in Traffic, Mammoth, The Void are all worth listening. Still not as much into The Void as I am into the other albums for some reason.

Until You Comply is probably one of my favourite songs of theirs.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I want to fill up my collection with more vintage prog rock, so if anyone has suggestions for what to add to my itunes wishlist, feel free (well ok, my cduniverse wishlist also, since it doesn't seem like you can get King Crimson stuff from iTunes). Here's what I have so far:

Yes: Fragile, Close To The Edge, The Yes Album, Astral Traveller
King Crimson: Red, Discipline, In The Court...
Soft Machine: Bundles
Genesis: Foxtrot, Abacab, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Rush: Chronicles
Wishbone Ash: Argus (I also have Wishbone Four, but it doesn't really sound "prog" to me...heck, Uriah Heep sounds more prog than they do, but I included it just in case)
Steve Hackett: Voyage of the Acolyte
Dixie Dregs: 20th Century Masters
Marillion: Misplaced Childhood
UK: UK

So I don't have any Jethro Tull or Renaissance or Gentle Giant, plus who knows what else I'm missing. Also, please note the emphasis on "vintage"...I'll fill up on more modern stuff later. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Your list needs some Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I'd recommend "Emerson Lake & Palmer" and "Tarkus"

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Get some Van der Graaf Generator- I recommend Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Camel's first 4 albums are solid (and pretty awesome in my opinion).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

carborexic posted:

Your list needs some Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I'd recommend "Emerson Lake & Palmer" and "Tarkus"

Yeah, this is true. I've always been kind of averse to their lack of guitar, but that's a silly reason. Plus Lake is a pretty sweet bassist.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Cathedral's Stained Glass Stories is a must. It's a shame that nobody really knows them, and the only reason I ever even heard of these guys is that my boss was in the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu90_-LxuJo

They've received more critical flak for their obvious Yes influences than is really deserved.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 8, 2012

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

I want to fill up my collection with more vintage prog rock, so if anyone has suggestions for what to add to my itunes wishlist, feel free (well ok, my cduniverse wishlist also, since it doesn't seem like you can get King Crimson stuff from iTunes). Here's what I have so far:

Yes: Fragile, Close To The Edge, The Yes Album, Astral Traveller
King Crimson: Red, Discipline, In The Court...
Soft Machine: Bundles
Genesis: Foxtrot, Abacab, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Rush: Chronicles
Wishbone Ash: Argus (I also have Wishbone Four, but it doesn't really sound "prog" to me...heck, Uriah Heep sounds more prog than they do, but I included it just in case)
Steve Hackett: Voyage of the Acolyte
Dixie Dregs: 20th Century Masters
Marillion: Misplaced Childhood
UK: UK

So I don't have any Jethro Tull or Renaissance or Gentle Giant, plus who knows what else I'm missing. Also, please note the emphasis on "vintage"...I'll fill up on more modern stuff later. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kansas should be on there. Point of Know Return and Leftoverture are great albums. Also consider getting Selling England By The Pound or Trick of The Tail over Abacab.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
For Jethro Tull, you should consider getting their two extremes: Thick As a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery. TAAB is a fairly monolithic album to get into, thanks to it only having the title track split into two parts, but it's definitely one of the best prog rock albums of the era, in my opinion. The whole thing is actually really well composed and it doesn't smack of the cutting and pasting that most bands doing "epic" length songs were known for doing, nor does it feel like a jam session.

Minstrel, on the other hand, is a fairly low-key, gorgeous folk-prog album for the most part. It does have Baker St. Muse, which is another lengthy composition, but again, it's composed well and it doesn't overstay its welcome, despite its length.

For Gentle Giant, you could probably just err on the side of caution and just go with Free Hand, which is fairly accessible (for Gentle Giant) and also happens to be one of their better albums. I'd probably stick to one album and see if you like that one. A lot of people don't really 'get' their music, and it really is "tech prog". If you do actually end up liking it, pretty much their entire catalogue is really solid, save for their last three albums where they tried pulling a Genesis and going mainstream. I'm also not a fan of their self-titled first album, but I know some people who swear by it. It's too amateur and unfocused, in my opinion, and it's fairly obvious they hadn't found their sound yet.

I'm also seconding replacing Abacab. That's not even prog :( Grab Trick of the Tail if you want the Collins-era Genesis represented in your album collection. Or hell, if you want the pop era represented, get Duke instead. Abacab is kind of awful all around.

edit: also consider replacing Yes - Astral Traveler (if this is the compilation with tracks from their first two albums, it's probably a good idea to just skip it altogether) with Relayer. Relayer is a really great record, actually; Gates of Delirium features some outright aggressive playing from Howe, and has some of Yes' darkest lyrics. Also of note is Sound Chaser, which is pretty much jazz fusion - something the band has never tackled before or since. I dunno, overall I find it slightly more cohesive than Close to the Edge, with less outright instrument masturbation (probably in no small part due to Wakeman leaving the band).

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 8, 2012

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

iamathousandapples posted:

Kansas should be on there. Point of Know Return and Leftoverture are great albums. Also consider getting Selling England By The Pound or Trick of The Tail over Abacab.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I do have a greatest hits album of theirs, but I could probably benefit from some of their individual albums.

Smekerman posted:

I'm also seconding replacing Abacab. That's not even prog :( Grab Trick of the Tail if you want the Collins-era Genesis represented in your album collection. Or hell, if you want the pop era represented, get Duke instead. Abacab is kind of awful all around.

Actually I like Abacab quite a bit. Despite their descending into pop (especially on No Reply At All), there's some pretty experimental stuff on there like Dodo/Lurker and Who Dunnit.

Also, to get out of vintage mode for a second, would King's X be considered prog at all? They're kind of poppy, but their arrangements and harmonies are a bit more complex than your average pop record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

The Monkey Man posted:

Get some Van der Graaf Generator- I recommend Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life.

These three + "H to He Who Am the Only One", which I think is probably the most accessible to those who are into the more classic prog albums. All four of these are essential and what makes VdGG my favorite out of any of these groups.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, this is true. I've always been kind of averse to their lack of guitar, but that's a silly reason. Plus Lake is a pretty sweet bassist.

Trust me, they don't need a guitarist. I'd start with the s/t and go in order (maybe skip Pictures at an Exhibition if you're not sold on the band), then do a hard stop once you hit the live album "Welcome Back My Friends..." Almost nothing they did after 1974 is worth hearing.

Also, add "Selling England by the Pound" to the Genesis list. If I hadn't started with that album, I'd probably never have gotten into them. Maybe take off "Abacab" (as mentioned) - I think it's a fine album and one of the best of the post-Gabriel era, but it's only as "prog" as 90125.