Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I love that they didn't confirm universal chat. Like what happens if you pick up that call waiting? Can you totally play mario and just chill and talk with your bros at the same time?

Glad all the "Wii U controller mic doesn't work" stuff was bullshit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh my god Nintendo, that world map

:allears: I'm so excited right now

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
There's even a ghost ship like Mario World!

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
If you pause the NOA video immediately at 1:55, you'll see the home menu.

Current Mii is on the left, presumably if you have multiple users you can switch by tapping here.

"Channels" include the disc drive, the Mii editor, system settings, video chat, Wii mode (!), stat-tracking, parental controls, and the health/safety warnings. This presumably means that video chat can't be done during a game.

Miiverse, eShop, Internet Browser, TVii, and Notifications are all non-channel icons, so they can be used when gameplay is paused. So you can go shopping when playing a game, but not video chat. You lied to me, guy who talks to action figures!

EDIT: I should watch the video itself, you can be notified that a video chat is coming in when playing, but I'm not sure if that means you can keep the game suspended...

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 7, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shelf Adventure posted:

There's even a ghost ship like Mario World!

Miyamoto had a lot to do with this iteration, right? And virtually nothing to do with the others?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It does seem like this game is much more focused on a high-quality single player campaign.

I mean Rayman Legends is beautiful and all but it seems designed around co-op and AFAIK it doesn't have online co-op. NSMBU doesn't seem to have it either but at least it's not designed around it?

I gotta imagine we would have heard today that NSMBU DID have online play if it had any. I think it's safe to assume that it doesn't.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Miyamoto had a lot to do with this iteration, right? And virtually nothing to do with the others?

He had a part in NSMBWii I thought.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mennonites Revenge posted:

If you pause the NOA video immediately at 1:55, you'll see the home menu.

Current Mii is on the left, presumably if you have multiple users you can switch by tapping here.

"Channels" include the disc drive, the Mii editor, system settings, video chat, Wii mode (!), stat-tracking, parental controls, and the health/safety warnings. This presumably means that video chat can't be done during a game.

Those could just be some hot buttons he assigned himself and things like that. We won't know until the console releases, it seems.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He had a part in NSMBWii I thought.

I think very little. Like "supervisor" or some crap; not like "director" or anything or whatever his title was for something like Super Mario World.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/07/wii-u-unboxing

IGN unboxing video is up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Iwata posted:

I just realised something, too! (laughs) Miiverse has a ‘Yeah’ button that you can push if someone’s comment resonates with you.

This strikes me as really funny for some reason. You don't "like" things, you say YEAH at them.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 7, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:circlefap: This is the best. Now I just need to figure out how to actually get one.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Those could just be some hot buttons he assigned himself and things like that. We won't know until the console releases, it seems.

It's possible, but it's much more likely that they are static buttons as with the 3DS home screen. Static buttons aren't in movable cubes, channels are.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/3/

Just saw Giant Bombs Quick Look of Tank Tank Tank.

It looks really fun! Sad that it doesn't have online though, me and my pals all live away from each other these days so wouldn't really have anyone to play it with though, and full retail price and singleplayer only? Ehhh.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Giant Bomb has an unboxing video up. Apparently Nintendo's embargo on video is really strict.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/3/

Just saw Giant Bombs Quick Look of Tank Tank Tank.

It looks really fun! Sad that it doesn't have online though, me and my pals all live away from each other these days so wouldn't really have anyone to play it with though, and full retail price and singleplayer only? Ehhh.

It seems kind of interesting but it's extremely simple, it doesn't look great graphically, and there doesn't seem to be a lot to it. I was considering it when I thought it was a $15 downloadable title I could play with some friends online but holy poo poo they're charging $50 for it?!

And I love that they're trotting out the same "we want people to play it around the TV!" line like having online stuff somehow precludes them from having local multi.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Come on guys what's so hard about getting your friends who live several states away from you to come to your house to play some video games. It's easy. It's just that easy.

It's just. that easy

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've got a Wii U reserved but I'm still deciding whether or not I want to keep it or give my reservation to a friend. Anyone know when the embargo is up and reviews start coming out?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've got a Wii U reserved but I'm still deciding whether or not I want to keep it or give my reservation to a friend. Anyone know when the embargo is up and reviews start coming out?

From they way the Giantbomb guys were talking, it sounds like some of the review embargos might be up before release but you can't show any video until day of.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Veotax posted:

From they way the Giantbomb guys were talking, it sounds like some of the review embargos might be up before release but you can't show any video until day of.

IGN is going to be reviewing super mario bros U and Nintendo Land on the 15th. So pretty much yeah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh yay the Wii U game boxes have the little icon on the side like on 3DS boxes I love that!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I think very little. Like "supervisor" or some crap; not like "director" or anything or whatever his title was for something like Super Mario World.

The core SMB team consists of four people - Miyamoto, Takashi Tezuka, Toshihiko Nakago and Koji Kondo - and they've all been involved with every new SMB game/remake since, to varying degrees. They've been directors, producers and supervisors for a long time now but those titles don't necessarily reflect how involved or uninvolved they are with any given title.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've never been a Rayman fan but drat is that game pretty. Stopped in to Gamestop to try it and I was blown away graphically.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqJd40yQMU

Hmm... Yay or nay?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I forget who posted it, but someone linked an article from some Nintendo site written by a big Ninja Gaiden fan who was disappointed by NG3 about Razor's Edge. The gist of it was that Team Ninja seems to have listened to the criticisms behind NG3 and is fixing the game above and beyond the Sigma treatment for Razor's Edge. So if that's actually true and the fixes the guy talked about are legit, then yay.

EDIT: Here it is. The guy makes it sound way better than the original release.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've never been a Rayman fan but drat is that game pretty. Stopped in to Gamestop to try it and I was blown away graphically.

In case you don't know, Origins had very similar visuals. It is a very pretty game. It's also awesome.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Yeah, NG3 is definitely one to wait for the reviews. I guess Nintendo helped work on it as well. Probably to teach Temco what gameplay is again.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
In case anyone hasn't seen them yet, these were posted on Neogaf.

WaraWara Plaza:

Miiverse:

Home screen while in-game:

I'm encouraged by the level of polish on these since the early mock-ups Nintendo showed. Also, I just forced myself to watch a few Sing Party videos, and that may have to go on the list for Thanksgiving/Holiday family stuff. Any word on a tracklist?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

suddenlyissoon posted:

Go get Rayman Origins to play in the meantime (it's on pretty much everything, so take your pick of your preferred console). It's fairly cheap now and god drat is it a good game. The difficulty curve's pretty good and you have infinite lives so you can retry from a checkpoint as often as need be.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bionic posted:

I'm encouraged by the level of polish on these since the early mock-ups Nintendo showed. Also, I just forced myself to watch a few Sing Party videos, and that may have to go on the list for Thanksgiving/Holiday family stuff. Any word on a tracklist?

I'm interested too. About the best I could find:

quote:

From current hits like ‘Call Me Maybe’ by Carly Rae Jepsen, ‘Glad You Came’ by The Wanted, ‘I’m Yours’ by Jason Mraz and ‘Just A Kiss’ by Lady Antebellum to pop classics such as Queen’s ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’, ‘You Can’t Hurry Love’ by The Supremes and ‘I Want You Back’ by the Jackson 5, SiNG Party delivers a smashing party playlist with dozens of songs for players of all ages and musical tastes – while those who just can’t get enough will be pleased to hear that the playlist can be expanded with downloadable songs after launch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Miiverse, part 2! (click)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I haven't kept up with the Wii U - but I have a few questions.

1) What's up with the storage? / How will it be handled?

The Nintendo Wii had virtually zero storage back in 2006. In 2012 the Wii U also has almost no storage.
There there are hundreds terabytes of games and apps available, why does Nintendo keep putting so little storage on their systems? The SD card "solution" on the Wii was a terrible mess (use a large card and early games can't see it, load any downloaded game on the card and the system no longer can check for updates, etc).

2) Are purchases tied to your account instead of your system?

After buying dozens of Virtual Console games and WiiWare stuff, I *immediately* stopped buying all together when I learned they are tied to the system, not to my account. Android, iOS, Xbox, PS3 - all those purchases are tied to *ME*. I don't have to keep a certain system to play stuff.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Xenomorph posted:

I haven't kept up with the Wii U - but I have a few questions.

The Nintendo Wii had virtually zero storage back in 2006. In 2012 the Wii U also has almost no storage.
There there are hundreds terabytes of games and apps available, why does Nintendo keep putting so little storage on their systems? The SD card "solution" on the Wii was a terrible mess (use a large card and early games can't see it, load any downloaded game on the card and the system no longer can check for updates, etc).

After buying dozens of Virtual Console games and WiiWare stuff, I *immediately* stopped buying all together when I learned they are tied to the system, not to my account. Android, iOS, Xbox, PS3 - all those purchases are tied to *ME*. I don't have to keep a certain system to play stuff.

1) So the price of the console can be kept to a minimum and people can decide for themselves how much storage they need. You can use USB drives up to 3TB, and SD cards.

2) Yes, they're implementing an account system, but we don't know yet if Wii purchases will ever be able to be linked to it.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

Small internal flash memory but supports any USB HDD or Thumbdrive.
Plug in a 2TB HDD and never worry again.

Account this time.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

suddenlyissoon posted:

I was less than impressed by the quality of the gamepad screen. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my phone and Vita, but that screen was kind of a letdown. I wouldn't want to play a significant portion of a game on it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I forget who posted it, but someone linked an article from some Nintendo site written by a big Ninja Gaiden fan who was disappointed by NG3 about Razor's Edge. The gist of it was that Team Ninja seems to have listened to the criticisms behind NG3 and is fixing the game above and beyond the Sigma treatment for Razor's Edge. So if that's actually true and the fixes the guy talked about are legit, then yay.

EDIT: Here it is. The guy makes it sound way better than the original release.

When has this been true for any game re-release in the history of video games? I know of one time, Divinity 2 was pretty terrible until Dragon Knight Saga was released. Every other time, a lovely game tends to stay lovely forever. I'd be very skeptical of this.

Brinty posted:

Small internal flash memory but supports any USB HDD or Thumbdrive.
Plug in a 2TB HDD and never worry again.

Account this time.

Can you run games off of an external hard drive?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When has this been true for any game re-release in the history of video games? I know of one time, Divinity 2 was pretty terrible until Dragon Knight Saga was released. Every other time, a lovely game tends to stay lovely forever. I'd be very skeptical of this.

The thing is that Gaiden 3 was marred by a bunch of issues that could've been easily changed.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well yeah, that's why they're telling us to use them.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
You sure it's not going to be a copy-then-play thing like the SD card support on the Wii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can play 3DS retail games from SD card. Wii U will be fine.

• Locked thread