Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Had a really nice chat with the lady who bred Angus' mom and Grandma today, she goes to the same dog training club I take Eva to. Super super nice lady and I got a lot of insight into a side of his family tree I've never met. She had a dog there with her that I think was Angus' cousin and she was a little spitfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Man now I'm even more paranoid about people coming in when we aren't there. Lola would have a goddamn meltdown, but she's always crated so she'd be fine. Jess gets put in another room though, and she will bark/scratch if someone comes in and doesn't let her out. She's also loving retarded and would happily shoot out of the door if it was left open.

At least it wasn't your dogs that got out, 2tomorrow!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

My apartment complex wanted to paint the doors to our apartments a nice white (mine is still poop brown). They gave me a notice that told me to call them if it was a problem on Monday (it was Tuesday when they dropped the flyer off :downs:) and that they'd be leaving the door open for 2 hours. I called them explaining that that was a problem and they got all shirty with me, "Well, why can't you just put your dog in your bedroom?" "He's not used to it and I don't want him home alone with a stranger and the door open for two hours". They relented and agreed not to do it. They still haven't called me back about it (because they wanted to reschedule) and I know they've also been in my apartment since then without my permission (illegal) when the dog was home alone because a lightbulb that stopped working had been replaced. I never placed a service call for it and I didn't do it myself.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If we ever left the house with any chance of anyone having to get in, Gabe and Sarah were secured in an area without an outside door, a litter box, plenty of toys and food. Balen and Amy are let to roam the house, but hey if you're nuts enough to come inside with two enormous dogs charging the door (for love and petting, but hell if you know that) and barking their giant heads off, well, you're in the extreme minority.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
My maintenance guy won't come in if Bridget's loose.

Bridget.

Tiny, fluffy, lick-you-until-you're-raw Bridget.

So fierce! :black101:

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
*comes up for air* Oh my god I'm back, 1000+ posts SKIMMED SORRY, I miss you guys. :3 A LOT has gone on in the last few months and I ended up in some trouble I'm just now starting to work my way out of and I'm looking to move back to Birmingham as soon as I can for a job there so..mmyep. Busy busy.

Rufus that dog is too loving cute.
Hey you guys with cats, would it be possible to crate them when you've got company/maintenance? Even if in a big dog crate so they aren't so claustrophobic?

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
I think the big problem with crating cats for repair people is that repair people rarely ever actually give a specific time and then show up at that specific time. I usually get a time range estimate and then they show up half an hour before the time range or four hours late or not at all.

I feel bad enough when I close my cats in an entire room and they end up in there for hours instead of just a little while. They'd punish me so badly if they were caged for that time instead.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
They were painting my back door last week (they're super lazy so they didn't even open it to paint it so I've got about an inch of the old color left around the edges when I open it :downs:) and the rear end in a top hat lazy maintenance guys didn't close my back gate behind them when they were done. I usually let the dogs out into my little back yard when I get home to get their zoomies out before we go for a walk, and I opened the back door as usual and the dogs ran out, and right out the open back gate into the street.

I am so glad the very first thing I taught Pistol was recall and Max is a velcro dog, or else I'd be dogless right now.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The guy who replaced our shower was super cautious about our pets and asked me repeatedly to check on them, and he had our door open only very briefly (and I was home the whole time). He was also very friendly with Husker and told me all about his dogs. He has an Anatolian Shepherd and actually, you know, keeps it busy and happy. It was a nice change from maintenance guys who either don't give a drat or are terrified of my big dog.

Also, today I forgot to feed the rats before I left on an errand, and then wound up being out for most of the day without meaning to. When I got home they were very grumpy with me. Most spoiled rats ever! Your cousins in the dumpster wouldn't complain about their food being a few hours late. Especially since they still had some cabbage left over from yesterday. Jerks. :colbert:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

ButWhatIf posted:

Sometimes just scrolling through this thread without looking very closely is the funniest possible activity...

Good lord, I couldn't resist:

I'm an awful colorist though sooo...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Pug/Boston/Malamute... the most majestic designer breed.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I don't get a lot of dog chat around the office (academics are more often cat people, in my field anyway), but just now a girl in my department posted about how she just has to have one of these puppies:

http://www.justpuppies.net/newbreeds.html

I really hope she's joking. So many stupid, cutsey names! And so obviously a puppy mill. A cursory search turns up that the puppies mostly come from "USDA certified" breeders (mills) in Missouri. :doh:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Kiri koli posted:

I don't get a lot of dog chat around the office (academics are more often cat people, in my field anyway), but just now a girl in my department posted about how she just has to have one of these puppies:

I really hope she's joking. So many stupid, cutsey names! And so obviously a puppy mill. A cursory search turns up that the puppies mostly come from "USDA certified" breeders (mills) in Missouri. :doh:

Why mix a shiba and beagle? Also a cockalier? I can think of so many horrible things to say in response to that.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

wtftastic posted:

Why mix a shiba and beagle?

Hahaha imagine the ghastly noises that thing must make.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Brussels Sprout. Lost my poo poo because it's fitting as gently caress. That dog looks like a vegetable alright.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

What do you get if you cross :pwn: and :downs:?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
How possible is it that all of these dogs have anencephaly?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Terra is really worried about those dogs:

Terra by hookshot88, on Flickr

Also she says the schnoodle looks nothing like her.

Not gonna lie though, I think the "shortie" is cute in a weird way. Also all of those other shih tzu crosses look exactly the same.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Kiri koli posted:

I live like 2 minutes away from this place, they have had to change their name a few times in the five years I've been in the area. They used to keep all of their puppies in baby cribs. It's in a super shady shopping plaza and is overall the gold standard for a lovely pet store. But I do kinda want to hear the noise a shibea makes...

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

DenialTwist posted:

I live like 2 minutes away from this place, they have had to change their name a few times in the five years I've been in the area. They used to keep all of their puppies in baby cribs. It's in a super shady shopping plaza and is overall the gold standard for a lovely pet store. But I do kinda want to hear the noise a shibea makes...

All those dogs in that link look like they just want to die. :smith:

My aunt has a chi/dachshund/jrt mix. I think you'd call it a Chiweenie Terrier. Or Jackweeniehund?

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Fat Dio posted:

What do you get if you cross :pwn: and :downs:?

No, no no. Those are clearly googly eyes.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

Sweeeeeet they even have discount puppies, I'ma get me a bargain! :byodame:

...:smith:

I also love that their guarantee section entirely consists of "YOU WILL GET NO REFUND UNLESS YOUR PUPPY'S ORGANS ARE GROWING ON THE OUTSIDE OF ITS BODY also we have no responsibility for the health of the puppy after 17 days" - they aren't even pretending that their puppies aren't genetic trainwrecks. Is it even possible to tell if a puppy has hip displasia after two weeks?

Bash Ironfist posted:

All those dogs in that link look like they just want to die. :smith:

My aunt has a chi/dachshund/jrt mix. I think you'd call it a Chiweenie Terrier. Or Jackweeniehund?

Dachuahua Terrier

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Tamarillo posted:

I also love that their guarantee section entirely consists of "YOU WILL GET NO REFUND UNLESS YOUR PUPPY'S ORGANS ARE GROWING ON THE OUTSIDE OF ITS BODY also we have no responsibility for the health of the puppy after 17 days" - they aren't even pretending that their puppies aren't genetic trainwrecks. Is it even possible to tell if a puppy has hip displasia after two weeks?

"OUR DOGS ARE VERY HEALTHY for like a fortnight guys, please buy our broken dogs :saddowns:"

And no, I'm pretty sure there is no way to see if a dog has HD at that age.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Skizzles posted:

just gonna leave this here

It is a gargoyle squatting on a plum.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
If I ever got a hairless cat I am totally naming him after a Gargoyle like Goliath or Broadway.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

DenialTwist posted:

But I do kinda want to hear the noise a shibea makes...

I don't! Oh god... :saddowns:

Though I think I already told y'all this before. It took everything in my power not to laugh in this guy's face we were doing a home check for who had a ShibaxCocker mix. He kept calling it a Shiba mix, mix mix mix.

Until he proudly told me they were called "Shockers". :heysexy:

It looked like a fat, floppy eared Shiba with a skimpy coat.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Brillig posted:

I think the big problem with crating cats for repair people is that repair people rarely ever actually give a specific time and then show up at that specific time. I usually get a time range estimate and then they show up half an hour before the time range or four hours late or not at all.

I feel bad enough when I close my cats in an entire room and they end up in there for hours instead of just a little while. They'd punish me so badly if they were caged for that time instead.

Yeah, crating my cats for most repair situations isn't really an option. They both get really nervous if they're confined too long separately, but even in a big dog crate Bagheera will torment my poor old tortie if he gets bored and there's nowhere for her to get away. Really, repair people need to learn that if a door is closed and you don't have explicit permission or an actual repair-related reason to get in there, then you shouldn't go in there. Cats aside, it's an invasion of privacy.

A repair/maintenance person who is good with animals is amazing. I also had an internet install guy in last week who was there for like 5 hours since my house wasn't wired right at all, and he was fantastic. I actually let my terrible dogs run around with him as he worked and trusted him to keep the doors closed without me having to follow him around all day and make sure. This is amazing for me. I not only gave him an exceptional evaluation on the standard little sheet thingy they have you do, but I called his boss and told him how happy I was with the guy's work and attitude. I love workers like that, it makes me feel so much more comfortable having them in my home.

Fraction posted:

"OUR DOGS ARE VERY HEALTHY for like a fortnight guys, please buy our broken dogs :saddowns:"

Think of it more like a puppy rental than buying a dog. You get a cute genetic trainwreck to parade around for a couple of weeks, then it dies horribly and you're liable for the vet bills! Since the purchases are probably largely impulse buys and the new owners are getting sick of the pups by then anyway, it's a win-win situation!

:suicide:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Man I keep forgetting how loving moronic pet people are outside of PI.

Rat ladies in particular. One compared herself, a vegetarian, to the suffragettes and said that non-vegetarians are murderers

:negative:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

DOMINANCE!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

DOMINANCE!

I want to photoshop Bailey on to that throne.

Fraction posted:

Rat ladies in particular. One compared herself, a vegetarian, to the suffragettes and said that non-vegetarians are murderers

I had a vegan friend once get upset at me because I said its wrong to feed a cat a vegetarian or vegan diet because they are obligate carnivores and that if you cannot deal with the idea of owning an animal that must eat meat, then you shouldn't own a cat.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like I'm going to have to find a new home for Pistol :(

Max decided last night that he absolutely hates Pistol for seemingly no reason, and has attacked him several times. Pistol is now terrified of Max, to the point he was so scared he puked this morning. These attacks are beyond normal squabbles over toys or spots on the couch. Usually if they're getting pissy at each other all I have to do is tell them to stop it and they will, this morning I had to sit on Max and he was still trying to get at Pistol. I have absolutely no idea what changed, they were getting along so well before. I guess Max just needs to be an only dog and its not fair to Pistol to make him live somewhere where he's scared all the time :smith:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

Feed your rats mealworms and record it.

e: Sorry to hear about Pistol :( That sounds really frustrating.

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 8, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

I had a vegan friend once get upset at me because I said its wrong to feed a cat a vegetarian or vegan diet because they are obligate carnivores and that if you cannot deal with the idea of owning an animal that must eat meat, then you shouldn't own a cat.

I'm a vegetarian and I staunchly approve this message.

I'm sorry about Pistol too. :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I understood when they'd get into little tiffs when Pistol would take a toy or sit in Max's spot on the couch, but last night and this morning Max has been lunging at him if he so much as looks at him. I have no idea what went wrong. Maybe Max connected the dots that Pistol is the reason he's no longer getting 100% of my attention?

Anyone in central Texas want an adorable puppy? I wish I could keep him but I'm worried that he'll escape his crate and they'll get in a nasty fight when I'm not home.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Poor Pistol :(

Cesar is doing a show in my town I think tonight? Anyways, my agency (community living for adults with developmental disabilities) got over 100 free tickets from the venue. Looks like we don't care for Cesar here in the frozen north :smugdog:

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I understood when they'd get into little tiffs when Pistol would take a toy or sit in Max's spot on the couch, but last night and this morning Max has been lunging at him if he so much as looks at him. I have no idea what went wrong. Maybe Max connected the dots that Pistol is the reason he's no longer getting 100% of my attention?

Anyone in central Texas want an adorable puppy? I wish I could keep him but I'm worried that he'll escape his crate and they'll get in a nasty fight when I'm not home.
Does anyone feel that other than a behavioralist maybe some NILIF work would help, just a little? Of course it means being on top of both dogs at all times.. I'm sorry to hear this. :( I don't know what I'd do if I got another dog and Diaz didn't get along with it (esp if I bonded with it!). Sad. Good luck...sorry..don't need another animal right now.

30 / 52 color me happy by sabarika, on Flickr
Feeling lovely so I did up a colorful picture...my loving camera+lens ($4100 + $90 strap and $60 card) were stolen out of my car over the summer and retarded rear end loving me thought "Oh police will never loving find It I won't even bother calling them" and then yesterday I looked at my insurance website and noticed I was completely covered for the camera on my renters and auto insurance. FFFUUUU---:argh: doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I feel. Stupid and angry, like a drunk person. So I'm out my loving expensive rear end camera that grandpa got me as a gift. At least he owns a dSLR (Nikon) I can borrow but I can't take it far or back to AL with me. I need to buy a car since I totaled mine in October so fat chance of having $ to get a dSLR anytime in the next year. Oh loving well. Rant over, sorry guys, I know it's not pet related but dammit I want to take more Diaz photos on the road.
I need a pick-me-up, ugh.

huskyjackal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 9, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hey! I know a few of you have worked towards certification for dog training, has anyone here gone through Animal Behavior College (ABC)? I'm considering going through their program just for the experience, but I want to know if it's going to be worth it, since we REALLY don't have the money to be throwing around. I just posted this on the APDT message boards, but I thought I'd try you guys, too, since this site is WAY more active:

I'm currently working as a groomer, but I've been educating myself for some years now hoping to cross over in to training. After gaining what I feel is a great grasp of book knowledge and actual dog experience (between my own dog, relatives, and work) but I'm looking for a way to get more experience actually TEACHING clients as well as a certification program. I was hoping to get certified through CCPDT, but I know I need practical hours to do so. Because of all of this, I was considering certification through ABC as a doorway into actually working with clients as well as gaining further certification.

I have a few questions on the program, though, that I thought would be better asked here than talking with an ABC rep. For those of you that have completed the program, how would you rate your education? Does the course go through a lot of ABC specific materials, or is it possible to have overlap with your own personal library (considering years of amassing books!) Did you feel the education you got before your hands on experience was useful in a practical sense, or was it a lot of basics like "Here's how you teach 'Sit':" sort of things?

Also, have any of you gained your CCPDT certification after finishing the ABC program? How much overlap was there? Did you find one test harder than the other, or were they basically the same info?

The last thing I was wondering about is the actual hands on portion of the schooling. Do you end up in a class with other people, or do you work with a mentor one on one? Do you work with actual clients at all, or do you just work on your actual training skills?

Thanks so much for the help!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

wtftastic posted:

Yeaaaaah, jesus. Feeding a cat a veg diet seems on the same level of stupid to me as trying to feed, say, a snake a veg diet. (I have no idea if people do this but my god I hope they don't.)

Pew! Pew! posted:

Feed your rats mealworms and record it.

I'd probably get just as good a reaction from filming them eating an egg (MURDERERS)

huskyjackal posted:

I need a pick-me-up, ugh.

:downs:

Sorry about Pistol, AG. :smith:

obnoxious
Aug 11, 2005

booty butt
booty butt
cheeks
I have three cats. One big boy, one normal-sized bigfoot female, and one little orange girl.

I have four litter boxes. One big one, one smaller one, one standard box, and one tiny box.

I'm going to start calling my big boy cat Goldilocks. He'll piss and poo poo in all of them, even the tiny one - which isn't just right, it's too loving small, you rear end in a top hat, thanks for pissing out of the box and on the floor GODDAMN IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey! I know a few of you have worked towards certification for dog training, has anyone here gone through Animal Behavior College (ABC)? I'm considering going through their program just for the experience, but I want to know if it's going to be worth it, since we REALLY don't have the money to be throwing around. I just posted this on the APDT message boards, but I thought I'd try you guys, too, since this site is WAY more active:

I'm currently working as a groomer, but I've been educating myself for some years now hoping to cross over in to training. After gaining what I feel is a great grasp of book knowledge and actual dog experience (between my own dog, relatives, and work) but I'm looking for a way to get more experience actually TEACHING clients as well as a certification program. I was hoping to get certified through CCPDT, but I know I need practical hours to do so. Because of all of this, I was considering certification through ABC as a doorway into actually working with clients as well as gaining further certification.

I have a few questions on the program, though, that I thought would be better asked here than talking with an ABC rep. For those of you that have completed the program, how would you rate your education? Does the course go through a lot of ABC specific materials, or is it possible to have overlap with your own personal library (considering years of amassing books!) Did you feel the education you got before your hands on experience was useful in a practical sense, or was it a lot of basics like "Here's how you teach 'Sit':" sort of things?

Also, have any of you gained your CCPDT certification after finishing the ABC program? How much overlap was there? Did you find one test harder than the other, or were they basically the same info?

The last thing I was wondering about is the actual hands on portion of the schooling. Do you end up in a class with other people, or do you work with a mentor one on one? Do you work with actual clients at all, or do you just work on your actual training skills?

Thanks so much for the help!

This is an excellent post, I've been looking into this myself as well. I know one person who claims to have enrolled but she really seems like a space cadet. She could have been lying, but basically as I understand it it kind of like apprentancing. You go and meet your teacher somewhere, and I think you get a book or something.

• Locked thread