Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

Nask26 posted:

Which whole foods is doing this? I thought the chandler location was the only one with a bar but I don't see anything on the events page about it.

Chandler. The Scottsdale Whole Foods has a bar now as well.

This might help http://azbeercal.blogspot.com/

I'm a member of a craft beer group for AZ on Facebook. That's where most of the info I get comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Thank you!

It's starting to look like I'll be on the road for a while starting in early Dec, and depending on how free time/budget goes, I might be making this the big gently caress-off cross-country beer trip for the ages...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I wouldn't really call it luck since I don't live in America so the supermarket had huge crates full of them, easily hundreds. I'd just never heard of it before and it's listed at 10% ABV compared to the 9% of the Blue. I guess I'll give it a try this weekend and if I like it go back and buy some more. None of them came in a wooden case though like in that link.

Also that link says America only got 2500 cases. What's "1 case?" Is it literally 2500 bottles that they decided to ship your way or is a 'case' a shipping crate full of tens or hundreds? It's a bit funny to me if the store I went to had like 1/10 to 1/5 of the entire stock the entire US got.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wouldn't really call it luck since I don't live in America so the supermarket had huge crates full of them, easily hundreds. I'd just never heard of it before and it's listed at 10% ABV compared to the 9% of the Blue. I guess I'll give it a try this weekend and if I like it go back and buy some more. None of them came in a wooden case though like in that link.

Also that link says America only got 2500 cases. What's "1 case?" Is it literally 2500 bottles that they decided to ship your way or is a 'case' a shipping crate full of tens or hundreds? It's a bit funny to me if the store I went to had like 1/10 to 1/5 of the entire stock the entire US got.

I believe a case, in this ... case, is referring to a box of 12 bottles, so something like 30,000 bottles total. Still not very many for a nation of 300+ million people.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

air- posted:

Have you called Spec's on Smith Street or D&Q? Those would be the first places I'd try, but it might be difficult to find at this point. Limited quantities showed up in TX, so it could be all gone.
Just got back. Specs on smith had about 10 cases on display from what I could see-grabbed one of em.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Munkaboo posted:

There are cases upon cases of it at my local Giant... crazy

This is why I never buy it, no bottle date.

I've been picking up Mission St Pale and IPA lately as daily easy drinkers with dinner and they do have bottling dates that are easily legible on the label. I'm usually seeing bottle dates of about 3-4 weeks prior so its fairly fresh and tastes fresh too.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

rage-saq posted:

I've been picking up Mission St Pale and IPA lately as daily easy drinkers with dinner and they do have bottling dates that are easily legible on the label. I'm usually seeing bottle dates of about 3-4 weeks prior so its fairly fresh and tastes fresh too.

I didn't look at the ones I picked up for the date, and they're all already gone now, but the IPA was a good dinner / tv watching beer. The new Trader Joe's also got in Snow Day before anyone else did, looking forward to a sixer because I really enjoyed it last year. That and Highland's Cold Mountain were my go-to winter beers last year.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Brown Shugga :swoon:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Thank you!

It's starting to look like I'll be on the road for a while starting in early Dec, and depending on how free time/budget goes, I might be making this the big gently caress-off cross-country beer trip for the ages...

Arizona to Oregon ain't exactly the whole country, you know...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

Arizona to Oregon ain't exactly the whole country, you know...

I meant that I'm going to the rest of the country too, I was just asking about AZ 'cuz it came up :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Modern Automaton posted:

That out of the way, sorry, there is a place in South Scottsdale called Papago which basically was the first real craft bar in Arizona proper.

What now? There used to be a place called Timberwolf with 50 taps on Apache + Rural, right across the street from the Vine. It's been replaced by university high-rises but back in about '96 that place was filled with dark wood and cigar smoke and decent beer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Brown shuggah-still amazing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I meant that I'm going to the rest of the country too, I was just asking about AZ 'cuz it came up :v:

that was me fishing for details

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I picked up those last 4 bottles of Lovechild #2 I found. I'd say the metro area is officially tapped out.
Danbanana and Funkybottoms, you are in for some treats. :hfive:
Also found a shop in the ghetto sitting on a case of breakfast stout. They are no longer.
Then I got a call from my local beer shop that The Dissident was in.
Expensive couple of days.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Mint Chocolate Stout and Enjoy By 12/21/12 are on their way to Texas.

I hope it actually arrives by... 12/21/12 :smith:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Two Bourbon County Stouts coming out on Black Friday. Coffee and Cherry Rye.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Two Bourbon County Stouts coming out on Black Friday. Coffee and Cherry Rye.

Is this official? I think everyone expected this but I haven't seen anything on twitter...

The Binny's next to GI Clybourn is doing a separate "release" that day with confirmed bottles of Rare and other "cellared" GI products. This is coming out of their own stock and not officially related to GI. Because that release is a drawing (show up by 9 and get a number) I'm tempted. Sitting outside for KH was fun last year but generally I avoid waiting in lines, even for great beer...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Is this official? I think everyone expected this but I haven't seen anything on twitter...

The Binny's next to GI Clybourn is doing a separate "release" that day with confirmed bottles of Rare and other "cellared" GI products. This is coming out of their own stock and not officially related to GI. Because that release is a drawing (show up by 9 and get a number) I'm tempted. Sitting outside for KH was fun last year but generally I avoid waiting in lines, even for great beer...

I found it on twitter myself: https://twitter.com/GooseIsland/status/266263824498319361

Dang. I live super close, that could be fun if I can get a buddy to hang out with me.
E: Wait, I'll be out in the burbs for thanksgiving and still won't have my car back. Hmm.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 7, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

I found it on twitter myself: https://twitter.com/GooseIsland/status/266263824498319361

Dang. I live super close, that could be fun if I can get a buddy to hang out with me.

Huh. I wonder what the delay between twitter and my RSS feed is...

I'll see what else GI announces. Last year for KH, they had '10 BCS, Icarus, and Vanilla (kind of...) available. The Binny's thing is still tempting, even though my luck means probably not getting a shot at anything good.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Did you hear about the event on location at Binnys?

Speaking of Chicago, does anyone here go to this Beer Hoptacular this is happening this weekend? Lots of breweries, I figure lots of people...and its pretty expensive.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Oh my goodness, the Saucer is getting in Cigar City BBA for Stout Day tomorrow. I've never seen any Cigar City in this area at all, so I hope it's not gone by the time I get off work. I've been really curious to try it ever since following this thread.

Otherwise I'm super-hyped for this year's batch of Foothills Sexual Chocolate, and Sorachi Ace is supposed to be on draft as well so I'll give that a try if it's still around. Not going to do Creme Brulee this year, just going to steal a sip or two of my roomie's :)

I'll post their full list when I get home (unless any Triangle goons want to beat me to the punch) in case there's anything else you guys recommend. I've had a fair bit of what they're offering already and my budget's tight, so unless there are any other must-haves I'll probably stick to those three.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

With the recent discussion about Velvet Merlin/Merkin, Merkin is going to be on tap at Smallbar Division in Chicago on Tuesday the 20th along with a whole bunch of other awesome stouts: http://ht.ly/f6M4S

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 8, 2012

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Valencia posted:

Oh my goodness, the Saucer is getting in Cigar City BBA for Stout Day tomorrow. I've never seen any Cigar City in this area at all, so I hope it's not gone by the time I get off work. I've been really curious to try it ever since following this thread.

Otherwise I'm super-hyped for this year's batch of Foothills Sexual Chocolate, and Sorachi Ace is supposed to be on draft as well so I'll give that a try if it's still around. Not going to do Creme Brulee this year, just going to steal a sip or two of my roomie's :)

I'll post their full list when I get home (unless any Triangle goons want to beat me to the punch) in case there's anything else you guys recommend. I've had a fair bit of what they're offering already and my budget's tight, so unless there are any other must-haves I'll probably stick to those three.

drat, wish I was closer to Raleigh. A beer store near me posted on Twitter a while back that they were getting "some Cigars" (capitialized just like that), and I was really excited until I messaged them and found out they meant actual cigars, not CCB. :(

I did just buy my ticket for Triangle Brewing's Black Friday Cask fest, though!

John Bigbooty
Mar 18, 2009
So, I basically never post, but I thought I'd bring this up for all you Grand Rapids, MI goons (or anyone else for that matter). Hopcat just posted the tap list for their Wood & Wild Aged Beer Festival next week. (Nov 16-18)

Arbor Brewing Co. Framboozled
Arbor Brewing Co.Sodibo
Arcadia Brewing Co.Warcraft
Anderson Valley Sour Stout
Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout
Bells Brewery Inc. Black Note
Boulder Beer Co. Wine Barrel Aged Mojo IPA
Brewery Vivant Unknown Name
Coney Island (Schmalz) Hebrew Funky Jewbelation
DarkHorse Brewing Co. Barrel Aged Plead the 5th
DeProef Brewery Flemish Primative
Dogfish HeadPalo Santo
Epic Brewing Co. Brainless on Peaches
Flying Dog Micro Brewery Bourbon Barrel Aged Gonzo
Founders Brewing Co. Backwoods Bastard
Founders Brewing Co. KBS '09
Goose Island Brewing Co. Bourbon County Brand Stout
Great Lakes Brewing Co. Bourbon Bbl Blackout Stout
Greenbush Brewing Co. Micro Mega
HopCat Bourbon Barrel Baltic Porter
Hopcat Kiwi's Playhouse
HopCat Red Nymph
HopCat Umamba
Innis & Gunn Rum Barrel Aged Beer
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales Noel de Calabaza
Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. Oude Brune Sour Cherry
The Livery Barrel Aged 5th Dimension
The Livery Barrel Aged Maillot Jaune
The Livery Barrel Aged Umami
Mount Pleasant Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Crazy Train
New Belgium Brewing Co. La Folie
New Holland Brewing Co. Dragons Milk
Odd Side Ales Bourbon Barrel Aged CPA
Ommegang Hougemont
Perrin Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Brown
Right Brain Brewing Co. Steve the Imperal Brown
Right Brain Brewing Co. Sour Owl
Sam Adams New World
Shorts Brewing Co. Lakeview Lager
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Barrel Aged Ovila Quad
Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. Unknown Name
White Flame Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Aged Blk Sheep

That's... a pretty good list. Not as good as last years, but drat, I know where I'll be all next weekend.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Picked up a bottle of Chocolate Mint Imperial Stout today, along with Cigar City Moat Water and a 6-er of the Jai Alai IPA in cans.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

This is everything Saucer plans to have on tap for tomorrow:

Like I said, I've had a fair number of those in the past. Anyone have any experience with either of the Bells offerings? I figure it's solid like everything else of theirs. Also I'm kinda sad that no one around seems to have got the Chocolate Mint yet, I really really want to try that.

edit:

Retemnav posted:

drat, wish I was closer to Raleigh. A beer store near me posted on Twitter a while back that they were getting "some Cigars" (capitialized just like that), and I was really excited until I messaged them and found out they meant actual cigars, not CCB. :(
That's so terrible :sigh:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Our Flying Saucer is doing pours of FBS at 6.5 oz for $5.50. gently caress that.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

The gently caress? I don't think I've even SEEN a 6.5oz glass. That's unfortunate and I'm sorry they're dicking y'all like that :(

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, that's almost always the first thing i recommend to somebody who "doesn't like beer." poo poo is delicious (as long as it's not out of a bottle. ugh).

I got some in a bottle at the supermarket the other day (on offer at £6 for 4 bottles), but what's the problem/alternative to bottles? :frogbon:

At the same time I got something called March of the Penguins which I'm liking, has less of an aftertaste.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I was in a local shop about a month ago and asked if they were getting any Founder's Harvest this year. They took my name/number and said they'd call me. I've been in the shop a few times since and never saw it on the shelves.

Last night I got a call from the manager saying he only got a couple cases this year, but he can save me a 4-pack or two, but it's $14.99 each. I had him hold one for me. Is it worth picking up at this point?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Crankit posted:

I got some in a bottle at the supermarket the other day (on offer at £6 for 4 bottles), but what's the problem/alternative to bottles? :frogbon:

it also comes in nitro-widget cans (like Guinness), which makes it really rich and creamy. it's very thin and lifeless out of the bottle, in my opinion.

GigaFool posted:

Last night I got a call from the manager saying he only got a couple cases this year, but he can save me a 4-pack or two, but it's $14.99 each. I had him hold one for me. Is it worth picking up at this point?

the price isn't too bad- a couple bucks more than here in VA- and if it's been refrigerated, they should still be drinking fine. if you haven't had it before, i'd say get one.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Had a couple of interesting things last night.

Elysian Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout - Smooth, tons of espresso bean flavor (almost like eating straight espresso beans), and the lactose made for a really sily mouthfeel. Really a great stout.
Arbor Brewing Sodibo - a sour beer that smelled like a decent sour (blue cheese and vomit mostly) and tasted like Sweet Tarts wrapped in leather. Very interesting, well-executed beer and I wish we could get it around here.
Avery Anniversary Ale Fifteen - What is it about fig beers that they pick up band-aid flavors? This was one a huge miss for five of the six of us. One guy liked it because it had lots of fruity notes, but I couldn't get past the band-aids.
Karl Strauss San Diego Beer Week Peanut Butter Cup Porter - Probably the most peanuty beer I've ever had. Good balance of milk chocolate flavor and peanut aroma. The mouthfeel was maybe a bit thin, but overall they did a good job with this one.

I also cracked a Bruery White Oak on election day and it was doing very well. The bourbon dominates the aroma, but it's relaxed a bit and plays well with toffee and dried fruit flavors. I kind of want to get another bottle and boil it down to make a dessert topping.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Agreed on the Split Shot I love that beer. As for Founders Harvest, I personally wouldn't pay $10 for a 4 pack again. It's good but nowhere near $15 good imo.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

GigaFool posted:

I was in a local shop about a month ago and asked if they were getting any Founder's Harvest this year. They took my name/number and said they'd call me. I've been in the shop a few times since and never saw it on the shelves.

$14.99 isn't too bad of a price, at least not where I am. It really hasn't been that long since it came out, I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of freshness.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Goose Island will be releasing Bourbon County Cherry Rye and Bourbon County Coffee on Black Friday (November 23rd). I'll be in Chicago that day, does anybody have any recommendations on bottle shops I should hit up that might have it? Preferably bottle shops that aren't named Binnys.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Goose Island will be releasing Bourbon County Cherry Rye and Bourbon County Coffee on Black Friday (November 23rd). I'll be in Chicago that day, does anybody have any recommendations on bottle shops I should hit up that might have it? Preferably bottle shops that aren't named Binnys.

Depends a lot on the three tier system. It's entirely possible stores won't get it in until the next week after. Stumbling into it is more or less dumb luck unless you know a guy.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

bartolimu posted:

Avery Anniversary Ale Fifteen - What is it about fig beers that they pick up band-aid flavors? This was one a huge miss for five of the six of us. One guy liked it because it had lots of fruity notes, but I couldn't get past the band-aids.

Thats a fantastic all brett beer, which it sounds like something you just aren't into.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

that was me fishing for details

Oh god I have no idea yet other than I finally wanna hit both Socal and New England, which sort of entails the stuff in between as well.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I doubt it will be in shops yet, but there are lots of smaller shops that are likely to have it first. West Lakeview Liquors on Addison will almost certainly have it, as well as Andersonville Wine and Spirits on Clark and Foster (kitty corner from Hopleaf). There's no way to be certain yet, though.

And although I work for Goose, I'm the last person to ask for an "in" on this beer. Sales and marketing are the guys who get all the cool poo poo, the brewers mostly just have to pick up the scraps. :v: (Or get the occasional sample from the bright tank :ssh:)

Also, I'm happy that Revolution cans are finally out. :dance: Bottoms-Up Wit and Eugene are so loving boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

bartolimu posted:

Had a couple of interesting things last night.

Karl Strauss San Diego Beer Week Peanut Butter Cup Porter - Probably the most peanuty beer I've ever had. Good balance of milk chocolate flavor and peanut aroma. The mouthfeel was maybe a bit thin, but overall they did a good job with this one.

Where? I went to one of the KS here in town yesterday just to try this, and the bartender told me all locations were out. However, they were going to tap a cask of it tonight, so I may still get a chance to give it a shot.