Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Munkeymon posted:

I'm sharing a family plan with my brother and I am the primary line. He just got a job with a company that makes him eligible for a discount. Apparently they can only apply a discount to the primary line, which is fine. The problem I'm having with this is that they changed my contract date so now it starts in November whereas it used to start in June. I liked that because June is close to flagship release season and I like to get shiny new toys at half price. Would calling them and begging then to apply that date change to my brother's line be a total waste of time?

Edit: nevermind - he didn't want his contract date hosed with either. Apple users gotta refresh every two years or get left behind

While it does renew your contract your upgrade date should remain unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Best Buy posted their black friday ad and as someone posted earlier as a suspicion, the Galaxy S III is a doorbuster at $48.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I have my number linked to google voice right now. If I port out to another carrier, what happens to that link?

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
Note 2 OTA Update
Looks like it's rolling out now. I haven't gotten it yet, but really looking forward to multi window.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Medullah posted:

Best Buy posted their black friday ad and as someone posted earlier as a suspicion, the Galaxy S III is a doorbuster at $48.
I feel like doorbuster is an outdated and inaccurate term; the doors typically hold. I propose a new version of it, such as "customertrampler".

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

helsabot posted:

I have my number linked to google voice right now. If I port out to another carrier, what happens to that link?

Uhh, just unlink it before you port if you're worried.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm nearing my upgrade period and while I want a new phone, I don't *need* a new phone.

I've been with HTC since the Touch Pro and now have an EVO 4G. I feel that I've stretched this poor phone's capabilities to its extremes with ROMs/CPU clockers, but it's starting to get cranky with me (reboots, poor performance, missing texts).

So my choices are either a) toss on a lighter ROM without SenseUI (I'm slowly weaning myself off Sense in an effort to standardize between the EVO and my CM7 Nook Color) or b) Buy a new phone.

Is there anything coming down the pipeline in the next few months that I should off for? I live in Portland but am not even in Sprint's announced plans for LTE anytime soon so LTE performance isn't that big of a factor.

I know there's the Note 2, SGIII, and the EVO 4G LTE. That about it?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Medullah posted:

I would so love to pick up two of these. Too bad neither myself nor my wife are anywhere close to being eligible for an upgrade. :(

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anybody have any idea what a SERO-P plan sells for (when the TOL is allowed, anyway), either in or out of contract?

I'm thinking about hopping onto Straight Talk with AT&T and might get rid of it, depending.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

the littlest prince posted:

Anybody have any idea what a SERO-P plan sells for (when the TOL is allowed, anyway), either in or out of contract?

I'm thinking about hopping onto Straight Talk with AT&T and might get rid of it, depending.
I bought one line from another goon for like $200.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Me and MY GIRLFRIEND are on 1 bill. Right now we are at $139 dollars a month for both of us. I have an EVO3D and she has some lovely rumor touch. I am going to try and pick her up a SG3 during black friday but I was wondering about the cell phone plan.. Its going to go up $10 because of the premium data addition for her phone but $150 dollars a month for sprints network seems way to much for 2 people. We have the everything data share 1500 but for example we have used a combined 30 minutes between us.. Is there a different plan I should be on?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

fyallm posted:

Me and MY GIRLFRIEND are on 1 bill. Right now we are at $139 dollars a month for both of us. I have an EVO3D and she has some lovely rumor touch. I am going to try and pick her up a SG3 during black friday but I was wondering about the cell phone plan.. Its going to go up $10 because of the premium data addition for her phone but $150 dollars a month for sprints network seems way to much for 2 people. We have the everything data share 1500 but for example we have used a combined 30 minutes between us.. Is there a different plan I should be on?

That's the cheapest you could be on. No options for less minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Whelp, sprint cancelled plans for loss protection on the iphone until further notice. I'll take that out of the OP next chance I get.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I guess I've got an upgrade coming on December 1. It looks like Sprint won't be getting the Nexus 4 by then (if ever) but isn't the Optimus G basically the same phone? How long do we need to wait before we can decide that the Optimus G is a good phone or not? I'd really rather have the quad core goodness, etc etc.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Imagine if you purchased an SGSIII. Do you think you're really ever going to hold it in your hand and think to yourself "Man, this thing is such a slouch. I wish it was faster. I should've gotten the LG."

No. No you're not.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I never thought I'd think my Evo 4G was going to be slow, but here I am 2 years later and it is.

And do we not hate Samsung anymore? I really hated Samsung for a while, but it sounds like maybe they figured their poo poo out?

For the record, I also don't give a crap about ROMs, because I've got better things to do with my life than putter along with a ROM where <insert feature I actually use> doesn't work this week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

I never thought I'd think my Evo 4G was going to be slow, but here I am 2 years later and it is.

And do we not hate Samsung anymore? I really hated Samsung for a while, but it sounds like maybe they figured their poo poo out?

For the record, I also don't give a crap about ROMs, because I've got better things to do with my life than putter along with a ROM where <insert feature I actually use> doesn't work this week.

Samsung did a really good job with the S3 and its a proven good job.

We can still hate Samsung, but LG is certainly worse. I wouldn't buy the Optimus G.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What don't we like about LG? Did LG suck with software updates in the past? The (few) reviews I've read seem pretty impressed with the hardware.

On a slightly related note, is it possible for two lines on an account to have a standard 2 year contract, but the third line (aka mine) have only a 1 year contract with a smaller device subsidy? Or should I just break my contract once a year for the new hotness?

Cat Wrangler
Aug 30, 2003

I wouldn't do nuthin' else.
Hi Duckman, have you heard anything about the 32gb/64gb variants of the Note 2 coming to Sprint before Xmas?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FISHMANPET posted:

What don't we like about LG? Did LG suck with software updates in the past? The (few) reviews I've read seem pretty impressed with the hardware.
The last few LGs on Sprint have been crashy at best.

The Optimus S had a really tiny amount of memory, and Facebook + email alone could fill it to the point that you couldn't do anything else. In addition, the first time they updated it to 2.3, they broke charging for a huge percentage of users and had to roll it back.

The Marquee was pretty forgettable. Had a decent screen and plenty of memory, but it just didn't perform as well as other Android phones.

The Viper... Well, it's been getting updates, but it's laggy. And the launcher is pretty close to stock Android, there's really no reason for it.

Basically, LGs are just "meh." They're the phones you get because they're on sale, but regret not spending the money for something nicer when you run into problems.

The situation may be different if you run CyanogenMod or something on them, I had heard the Optimus S was at least halfway decent once you did that. But if you buy it near launch, you never know what kind of 3rd party support it will get.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But the Optimus G has a quad core CPU and 2 GB of RAM. For all intents and purposes it's the Nexus 4. I'm not really worried about the hardware being bad.

What I would be worried about is the software being bad, but I'm not even sure about that?

To be clear, the SG3 has a dual core with 1 GB of RAM, correct?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

To be clear, the SG3 has a dual core with 1 GB of RAM, correct?
Nope.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
LOL? Way to be helpful.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

The S3 that Sprint carries has 2 gigs of ram.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So that site says Quad core with 1GB of memory, the Sprint site says dual core with 2GB of memory. What if I really want a quad core?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

So that site says Quad core with 1GB of memory, the Sprint site says dual core with 2GB of memory. What if I really want a quad core?

The international GSIII has a quad A9 SoC.

The US GSIII has a dual core Krait SoC which is generally on par with the quad A9 SoC. The quad A9 is maybe slightly more powerful.

I know for sure the domestic GSIII's all have 2GB ram.

The right answer is get off CDMA and buy the N4 ;)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tijag posted:

The international GSIII has a quad A9 SoC.

The US GSIII has a dual core Krait SoC which is generally on par with the quad A9 SoC. The quad A9 is maybe slightly more powerful.

I know for sure the domestic GSIII's all have 2GB ram.

At this point I am kind of considering it...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

LOL? Way to be helpful.
I don't think people who waste the reading time of everyone in a thread to find simple, factual, quickly-googleable information deserve help.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

tijag posted:

Sure, if there were good GSM carriers in the US.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

WoG posted:

I don't think people who waste the reading time of everyone in a thread to find simple, factual, quickly-googleable information deserve help.

Well since I Googled it and found wrong information, because I didn't know the international version was different than the domestic version, :fuckoff:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm gonna go a different direction and suggest checking out the Note II. I switched to it a week ago from the Evo 4G and it is amazing. Granted the thing is huge, but I got used to it really quickly, then again my hands are such that I can reach the whole screen with one hand so YMMV. But it's quad core, 2 gigs of ram, and has a bunch of other nutty things going for it.

Edit: Also while the LTE in my area for it while inside at work is 4Mbit down/1 up, it is 14.5Mbit down/3.5 up outside and in my apartment, so I sorta lucked out there. Check your area in regards to Sprint's 4G rollout too while you're at it. If it's sucky then switching to someone else for the N4 might be the best route after all.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

What if I really want a quad core?
Why do you really want a quad core?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well quad is twice as many as dual. I'm going to ignore any argument that "X is fast/powerful enough" when something faster exists. It sounds an awful like "640k should be enough for anybody" to me.

E: Here's a review of the Optimus G, and according to their CPU benchmark the SG3 is a bit faster than the Optimus G, but the Evo 4G LTE blows them both away.
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/smartphones/lg-optimus-g-sprint.aspx

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 8, 2012

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there an app or Sprint service that will allow me to watch NFL games on my SGS3?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

rock2much posted:

Is there an app or Sprint service that will allow me to watch NFL games on my SGS3?

Verizon has exclusive rights to NFL games.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Well quad is twice as many as dual. I'm going to ignore any argument that "X is fast/powerful enough" when something faster exists. It sounds an awful like "640k should be enough for anybody" to me.

E: Here's a review of the Optimus G, and according to their CPU benchmark the SG3 is a bit faster than the Optimus G, but the Evo 4G LTE blows them both away.
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/smartphones/lg-optimus-g-sprint.aspx

i'm not going to even click through to the review, but the Evo 4g and domestic SG3 are EXACTLY the same SoC. EXACTLY. I think the SG3 has more RAM. So, if their methodology is so flawed as to show the Evo 4G as much faster than a SG3... well, yeah.

Also, benchmarks of the quad core in the Optimus G and Nexus 4 are not indicitive of how much freaking faster they are than the quad core Tegras and even the quad core Exynos's.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

The Krait cores in the (dual-core) MSM8960 and (quad-core) APQ8064 are identical. They're the same microarchitecture, build on the same process, and run at the same clock rate. So the per-thread performance is identical. The only difference is that the APQ8064 has twice as many cores, and double the (shared) L3 cache.

Now, that's not something to scoff at. But at the same time, most smartphone apps aren't sufficiently parallel as to make significant use of multicore parallelism. At some point we're going to see diminishing returns from adding more cores because your typical apps can't keep them loaded. So, it's not so much that there isn't benefit to quad-core vs dual-core, but it's not "2x better".

That said, the APQ8064 includes a significant GPU upgrade. That might even be a good reason to seek out an APQ8064 unit, but it's not one you mentioned.

In any event, if all phones were created equal then yeah, I'd get the one with the best hardware specs. However phones are engineering disasters and devices that look good on paper have, again and again, proven to be real-world disasters because of battery-drain bugs, broken peripherals, bloated UIs, incompetence everywhere. So trading hardware performance for a superior user experience is a very real tradeoff. Think "Nexus S 4G vs. Evo 3D". The latter definitely has better hardware, but the former is a better overall experience.

The reason why folks like the SGS3 is because it's a proven device. It's still tip-top hardware (if no longer still technically "the best"), but has proven itself to have no major platform bugs, has gotten pretty decent manufacturer support so far, and has a first-class support for CM10. It's the closest to AOSP one can get on Sprint with 2012 generation hardware, and the shortcomings of the Galaxy Nexus are too many now to continue recommending that.

The problem with the Optimus G is that it's really just an unknown. Platform-wise we know it's pretty solid, except that there's relatively-well substantiated battery-drain issues that nobody really knows where the responsibility lies. LG is not a proven smartphone manufacturer, particularly on Sprint. And for folks wanting CM support, the current LG device maintainer is European with a near-exclusive GSM device focus. And none of the Sprint CM device maintainers have expressed any interest in it.

So, long story short, the Optimus G could turn out alright in the end. But we know the SGS3 (and even Evo LTE) is solid now. "Better hardware" is a risk here, and most of us having been bitten by purchases of "better hardware" in the past much prefer to hedge our bets on proven devices.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Hopefully corporate has sent out the advocate devices for the Optimus G so I'll have one to play with soon. I'll have both a GS3 and the OG active for a while so I will make sure to give some comparisons where I can. I'll probably stick with the Samsung in the end but it will be a neat to play with.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
If you have your heart set on quad-core but are scared of LG being awful, as you should be considering they just released their flagship phone and its running 1 YEAR OLD loving Ice Cream Sandwich, anyways the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has a quad core processor, 2 gigs of ram and ships with jellybean. I've been using the Note 2 for the past 2 weeks and its been excellent, for the first time since the original EVO 4g I'm not looking forward to the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cat Wrangler posted:

Hi Duckman, have you heard anything about the 32gb/64gb variants of the Note 2 coming to Sprint before Xmas?

Nothing, and considering the 16GB is $299, don't expect much. Customers won't spend $500 on a phone anymore.

I'm putting it out there now: the LG Opitmus G could surely be fine, but LG has a poo poo track record. If you buy it and have issues, everyone has permission to say I told you so.