Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What's the advantage of doing this versus hanging the transmission off the engine? Weight distribution?

The engine and transmission are bolted directly to each other. From the transmission it goes; gelekschibensatz, front driveshaft, center carrier bearing, rear driveshaft, gelekschibensatz, differential. There is a u-joint in there somewhere as well, I didnt have to screw with it so I don't remember well. I find it strange how much flex the Germans put into the driveline when the engine, transmission and differential are all solidly mounted, but I'm sure there is a very good reason that could have been solved much more simply. Of course, no-one appreciates a Mercedes Benz for it's "simple" engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

You know, that car is four years old already. Got nearly 50k on it, but I agree it's too early for rubber components to be failing on it. Despite that, there is an annoying mystery clunk from the rear suspension. Most noticeable at slow speed over undulating roads, I suspect a swaybar endlink or bushing, but I can't find which one. They all look ok.

Pretty sure sockington had the same issue with his, and iirc it was the shock mounts he had replaced under warranty. It's in his thread if you feel like going through it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, my MS3 had a clunk develop back there and it was literally a loose nut holding in the endlink. I think I may need to replace the endlinks eventually though, and if I do I'm using the Moog parts so I can use a socket instead of a goddamned crow's foot to torque it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively, my MS3 had a clunk develop back there and it was literally a loose nut holding in the endlink. I think I may need to replace the endlinks eventually though, and if I do I'm using the Moog parts so I can use a socket instead of a goddamned crow's foot to torque it.

Yeah I had the same issue w/ mine, it's pretty common.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I put my red car away for the winter :smith:

Til springtime, red car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The stock plastic endlinks on the WRXes break so I'm always surprised when I see a car with intact endlinks that's over 10 years old on the road.

See if there's an aftermarket part that's better than the Moog; I replaced all the ones on my WRX with aluminum. I'm sure the MS3 must have a ton of mods for it.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Catching up on 300cd maintenance I should have done earlier. New motor, aircleaner, exhaust and transmission mounts, new front brakes and 4 hoses, rear axle and had fuel injectors rebuilt by a local diesel shop. Same price as ordering rebuilds, but these are balanced down to 1bar in variation for the set. Bored with the car, but I can sell it now.

This $1k 1994 e420 looks like prime beater material, even if I dump $3k into it. 275hp/300ft lbs, decent MPG with lots of junkyard parts available. Or, just buy a new car and stop playing mechanic and junkyard dawg. :rolleyes:

Purdy injectors

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The Alfa 75 Turbo moved to a warm garage for the winter. The work schedule for this winter includes Megasquirt 3 based injection/ignition and better brakes.

With Bosch L-Jetronic and 201K ignition:

Injection and ignition bits to be installed:

To-be-obsolete L-Jetronic and 201K stuff removed:

156 GTA discs and 3.2 159 Brembo calipers with a 75 spindle:

The RSR suspension kit has already been installed:

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 3, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

leica posted:

Pretty sure sockington had the same issue with his, and iirc it was the shock mounts he had replaced under warranty. It's in his thread if you feel like going through it.

Oh that sounds like a tremendous pain in the rear end. I'm out of warranty and have been for some time. That sucks.

Anyway, today I taught two 8-year-olds how to drive the Scout through mud holes.

They took turns driving and got pretty ballsy with the loud pedal. I mean screaming through the mudhole with the motor turnin nearly 5k! I thought it was going to blow.

Also, the Scout got two new Warn premium hubs this morning after my OE Lock-o-Matics went Explode-o-Matic.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 4, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Oh that sounds like a tremendous pain in the rear end. I'm out of warranty and have been for some time. That sucks.

Anyway, today I taught two 8-year-olds how to drive the Scout through mud holes.

They took turns driving and got pretty ballsy with the loud pedal. I mean screaming through the mudhole with the motor turnin nearly 5k! I thought it was going to blow.

Also, the Scout got two new Warn premium hubs this morning after my OE Lock-o-Matics went Explode-o-Matic.

There was a TSB about it. Should be covered :hfive:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 4, 2012

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Not my ride but my cousins.

Before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ewkJDV88c

After:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UqqhMpsl8

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put the GT500 up in hibernation. Weather is looking gloomy with no near-future improvement, so it's time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

If it's the uppers (and I don't possibly see how the lowers could clunk) they're simple parts, it's just two nuts holding it to the car and one holding the shock to the mount. Only pain in the rear end is getting the rear of the car up enough to get the shocks in/out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Put the GT500 up in hibernation. Weather is looking gloomy with no near-future improvement, so it's time.

What are those rounded chocks? Do they slide around much when you back up onto them?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kimbo305 posted:

What are those rounded chocks? Do they slide around much when you back up onto them?

They are called Flatstoppers, from a company called Race Ramps. They don't slide at all; In fact the tires will lose traction before the ramp shifts. The first winter I stored the car, I didn't have them and the tires had a little bit of flat spotting from sitting on cold concrete for three months, but this last spring after using the ramps, they were perfect. They aren't cheap at like $250 a set, but totally worth it for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the battery in the Volvo. When I got back from Texas (letting the Volvo sit at home for a week and a half) it was dead, so I jumped/charged it, and it lasted a little while longer, but by last week it wouldn't stay charged overnight. Time to replace the battery!

After I pulled the battery out I saw the sticker that said 11-06, so it was six years old. A ripe old age for a battery. Replaced it with the same kind from Autozone. 700 CCA should be plenty I hope, since the car is my backup/winter beater car right now, and could sit for a week at a time in the cold of winter.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I picked up a used set of Air Walker s2000 side skirts for way, way less than they usually go for used. I usually see them go for around $400-$500 used but I got these for only $200. I need to do a little fiberglass repair to one of them but they'll be to the paint shop by next week.

They fit 100% with no modification. I'm excited. I think they'll look sick.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's the uppers (and I don't possibly see how the lowers could clunk) they're simple parts, it's just two nuts holding it to the car and one holding the shock to the mount. Only pain in the rear end is getting the rear of the car up enough to get the shocks in/out.

No it's still a tremendous pain the in rear end because the Mazda5 is the one car I felt like I shouldn't have to work on ever, because it's too new. Time makes fools of us all. Thanks for the info though, I'll take another look at it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I did the same, although I needed to do 2 days worth of cleaning on my dad's garage.

Can't even tell what's in there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Paul Boz_ posted:

I picked up a used set of Air Walker s2000 side skirts for way, way less than they usually go for used. I usually see them go for around $400-$500 used but I got these for only $200. I need to do a little fiberglass repair to one of them but they'll be to the paint shop by next week.

They fit 100% with no modification. I'm excited. I think they'll look sick.

I like those. Do you have gold wheels for your S yet, if not you should :colbert:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

I like those. Do you have gold wheels for your S yet, if not you should :colbert:

I may or may not be in the process of experimenting with plastidip color builder and metallic finish :ninja:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Never looked at the spare except a quick glance to verify that yup, there's a spare tire back there. Figured I'd check it today since I'm doing a road trip this weekend. Discovered that tires can indeed rust. :wtf:

No evidence of flood damage anywhere on the car (including the spare tire well, or the actual wheel), so :iiam:. Just glad I discovered the dry rot before I needed to use it, I'll stop by Pick and Pull on my way out of town Friday to get a full size spare.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Paul Boz_ posted:

I may or may not be in the process of experimenting with plastidip color builder and metallic finish :ninja:

Excellent :)

I may be starting a new job soon so I've been drooling over LBP AP2's on autotrader, otherwise I am just going to get an older black AP1. Either way I am getting one within a few months I hope

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally installed my Steedspeed manifold and new manifold/turbo gaskets on the Protege, along with ARP manifold studs since Mazda's stock hardware is garbage. New problem, though: the nuts that came with the studs are 12-point, and the space between the runners is tight enough that I can't get a standard box wrench or socket around the studs to tighten the nuts, so 4 of them are only finger tight at the moment. Guess I'll have to see if AZ has some 12-point crows' feet or something. I never want to do this job again, though; took me 7 hours from start to finish.

Also for some reason my radio faceplate doesn't rotate correctly now, the gear mechanism seems to be hosed up. :suicide: Time to get a new head unit I guess.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Finally installed my Steedspeed manifold and new manifold/turbo gaskets on the Protege, along with ARP manifold studs since Mazda's stock hardware is garbage. New problem, though: the nuts that came with the studs are 12-point, and the space between the runners is tight enough that I can't get a standard box wrench or socket around the studs to tighten the nuts, so 4 of them are only finger tight at the moment. Guess I'll have to see if AZ has some 12-point crows' feet or something. I never want to do this job again, though; took me 7 hours from start to finish.

I don't think I've ever seen 12 point crow's feet. Not saying they for-sure don't exist, but I would think an open ended 12pt would be a good formula for rounding stuff off.

Is there any clearance at all? I'd probably acquire a cheap wrench and sand / grind / whatever it down until it was just thin enough to fit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And payday isn't until Friday. :suicide:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Some JB Weld and a couple dozen zip ties will get you through to the weekend.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
some texas redneck, I'm super impressed at your cars ability to constantly break down. I'm glad I never bought an Altima, I guess.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previous owner neglect :argh:

Mostly.

But yeah, it's a pain in the dick to work on.

e: borrowed $100, snagged an overpriced radiator from AutoZone since I need the car running for tomorrow. Done and done.

14 years and 164,500 miles out of the original, that's not too bad in my book.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 7, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

14 years and 164,500 miles out of the original, that's not too bad in my book.

At this rate, you're going to end up with a brand new '98 before the year is out. :q:

To not just be snarky: I finally put the S hook tiedowns on the seat covers in the $1500 churd. I'm really starting to dig that car. :3:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 7, 2012

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Bought a Passport 8500 X50 for my car. :coolfish:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

At this rate, you're going to end up with a brand new '98 before the year is out. :q:

Oh c'mon I'm still on the original engine and suspension. And 3 original wheel bearings. And original exhaust. And original heater core.

Now that I've said all that, a wheel will fall off in the morning, followed immediately by the engine throwing a rod. And the exhaust will get ripped off and thrown into the windshield of whatever SUV is tailgating me for daring to only do 50 in a 40 in the right lane of the 6 lane road I'm on every day. Immediately after all of this happens the heater core will explode violently, covering my legs with 200 degree coolant.

... gently caress. :ohdear:

VVVV the edited version is better. :frogout:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 8, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Oh c'mon I'm still on the original engine and suspension. And 3 original wheel bearings. And original exhaust.

.... I just jinxed myself didn't I? :ohdear:

Just gonna go ahead and quote this for posterity :q:

power
Nov 4, 2009
I should mention that I am currently at the paypal checkout for a gelekschibensatz of my own, as well as a drive shaft centre support bearing. "Superior German Engineering"

Also, for my fellow BMW owner from Halifax, Plastidip isn't legal in Canada due to some fumes/environmental issue with it, which is why you're not finding it anywhere. I don't know if you order your parts into the border in Calais or Houlton like I do but I usually get mine there.

power fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 8, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It must only be some kinds of Plastidip because I've found it at Zellers before.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It must only be some kinds of Plastidip because I've found it at Zellers before.

Yes, and where did that get Zeller's?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just picked the MS6 with it's brand new Blizzak's mounted! Bring it on winter!

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
filled her up today!

Waited on a nearly 2 hour line in Brooklyn...and this was a line designated for first responders too...can't even imagine the line for normal citizens. The gas pumps were pumping slow on top of it...it was a pain in the rear end.

Tomorrow we start an odd-even rationing. If your plate ends in an odd number, you can only fill up on odd number days, even number plate, even number day.

I'm waiting for Mad Max: Road Warrior action to start any day now.

...the precious juice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Got a part in the mail:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Treated windshield and rear window with Rain-X, getting tired of not being able to see in the rain. Checked the oil, got a set of jumper cables, plus a jug of anti-freeze and some reuseable funnels. Getting ready for my first winter as a car owner, oh boy oh boy.