Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

God drat kids these days are spoiled with their RO units!!!

ROs own so hard. We had endless water. Showers every day, consistent laundry once a week and you only had to run the 10K for heavy drills. Owned.

Not having an RO would be like not having an HDR mast and dealing with 40-char familygrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Sup fellow 10k master buddy

God drat kids these days are spoiled with their RO units!!!

:smug::hf::smug:

We were supposed to get RO... but then the captain said gently caress shipyard, lets go on mission! Thats also why we didnt have the hot water mod for running cw to eafw. :rant:

Oh, and unless maxine broke, we had showers every day too. Some of us are just good like that:smug:

fake edit: did anyone else have names for equipment? Because maxine would get mad if you called her the 10k where she could hear you.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Also, theres a car rental place right by the nex on big navy. If your command wont let you rent, thats one thing, but its there and it rents to sailors.

Cheapest car rental I've found is Island Rent-a-Car, you can book it online and they'll pick you up.
Also come check out the hash running, Hagatna DNA building at 4pm on Saturdays. Bring water and shoes that you didn't really like much anyway.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Abugadu posted:

Cheapest car rental I've found is Island Rent-a-Car, you can book it online and they'll pick you up.
Also come check out the hash running, Hagatna DNA building at 4pm on Saturdays. Bring water and shoes that you didn't really like much anyway.

Always watch out for the goddamn sawgrass too. I took it lightly once.

once.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm about to qualify as a Marine Engineer, Class III, and I am really curious as to how much crossover there would be between what I have, and what a navy nuke guy would have.

My qual is unlimited KW, foreign going, with the usual focus on purifiers, water makers, pumps, electrical, boilers, steam, etc. Be interesting to have a beer with a couple of you and talk shop.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I was a nuke, and now I'm getting close to getting my third's ticket. Being a nuke prepared me very well for my academy, it's been a snooze really.

I was an ET, which is basically the "make steam" job. I was aware of the basic operation of the rest of the plant, but not an expert. Going to school has helped that sort of thing click and make sense.

What else do you want to know?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The entire engine rooms are classified so even if the equipment was exactly the loving same no one could really come out and say that. They certainly can't say how it's different.

The focus on procedural compliance in operation and the QA efforts involved in maintenance are surpassed only by space program stuff (if then) which you'd never see and would never be worth the time or cost on a non-nuke civilian plant. It's a big cultural difference.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The focus on procedural compliance in operation and the QA efforts involved in maintenance are surpassed only by space program stuff

Well, the number of nuke subs lost and the number of space shuttles lost are the same.

Of course, the subs were lost before a lot of the QA stuff was put into place.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
There's a nuke thread in A/T some of y'all might be interested in:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514210

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

camino posted:

I was a nuke, and now I'm getting close to getting my third's ticket. Being a nuke prepared me very well for my academy, it's been a snooze really.

I was an ET, which is basically the "make steam" job. I was aware of the basic operation of the rest of the plant, but not an expert. Going to school has helped that sort of thing click and make sense.

What else do you want to know?

Using steam is way more fun than making it :colbert:

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Fact. That's why I want nothing to do with nuclear power, and I'm close to working in a steam engine room.

I put MM on my dream sheet at boot camp and the fuckers made me an RO. I refused to smile until EAOS.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

camino posted:

I put MM on my dream sheet at boot camp and the fuckers made me an RO.
What kind of bizarro world nuclear navy are you in?

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I got out years ago. Nailed the electrical on the ASVAB, screwed up mechanical, got sent to ET A school.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Not sure if it's been brought up in the thread so far, but what's the general consensus on "nuke waste?" I ended up psyching out toward the end of NFAS/beginning of NPS, but the whole thing still interests me.

EDIT: I don't type so well.

EDIT 2: Upon further reading, I found some stuff. I went legit "sad panda" (no malingering here) and got de-nuked.

Also, is there any way to leverage what little training time I had into something that can be put on a resume or college credit hours or something? I know this probably isn't the right thread to ask, but I haven't even been able to find jobs in simple poo poo like retail/call-center work ever since I got out.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 3, 2012

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Nuke waste is better than being a nuke. Like enriching uranium.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
From the few "confirmed" nuke waste stories I know, there was only one real difference. They we're able to get the same kinds of jobs the rest of us spent 6-20 suffering for first. Now keep in mind for the two stories I know as true there were many stories of waste hippies walking across Europe.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Not sure if it's been brought up in the thread so far, but what's the general consensus on "nuke waste?" I ended up psyching out toward the end of NFAS/beginning of NPS, but the whole thing still interests me.

EDIT: I don't type so well.

EDIT 2: Upon further reading, I found some stuff. I went legit "sad panda" (no malingering here) and got de-nuked.

Also, is there any way to leverage what little training time I had into something that can be put on a resume or college credit hours or something? I know this probably isn't the right thread to ask, but I haven't even been able to find jobs in simple poo poo like retail/call-center work ever since I got out.

If you legit went sad, there's really nothing wrong with that. My boat went through some pretty bad times, and there wasn't a one of us that didn't think about walking into the COs stateroom with a joint and shotgunning him and then saying "I want out." Actually, I think that was just my plan. But you get what I'm saying.

As for the loving chucklefucks that just don't feel like showing up to work ready to actually work because "but its haaard", or are trying to just get as much bonus money as possible, then get out, they can go gently caress themselves. Hard.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
So does anyone know if carpal tunnel poses any problems in the program? My wrists have been like MAJORLY acting up and want to know what to expect at Medical if I go.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This is just a hunch but I'm going to bet they give you some Motrin and send you back to work

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is just a hunch but I'm going to bet they give you some Motrin and send you back to work

Probably. Guess I have nothing to worry about!

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

itsrobbiej posted:

So does anyone know if carpal tunnel poses any problems in the program? My wrists have been like MAJORLY acting up and want to know what to expect at Medical if I go.

I got in with CT and had no real troubles. That was in the 90s so might be different now. As an RO wasn't much to do for repetitive stress. It was the drat chair that destroyed my back more than anything.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Anyone going to be at the carrier classic tomorrow?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Anyone going to be at the carrier classic tomorrow?

I heard a guy complaining at the smoke pad about being forced to go. (a day before the event so it was a long time ago (I hear the tickets were hundreds of dollars!))

Also, commence stand down and I am here at Goose Creek with like six other people total that aren't on leave and one of them was wearing a red corduroy suit with matching fedora. :(

300-400 people on grad hold are moving to prototype in January but those that are going to SC prototype won't class up until at least July wtf?

~a dozen people got masted last week

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

good to know some things never change. I actually met my eventual prototype roommate when we both decided that we a) didnt want to take leave over the xmas break and b) thought smoking in the parking lot as rover was the obvious thing to do.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

I heard a guy complaining at the smoke pad about being forced to go. (a day before the event so it was a long time ago (I hear the tickets were hundreds of dollars!))

Also, commence stand down and I am here at Goose Creek with like six other people total that aren't on leave and one of them was wearing a red corduroy suit with matching fedora. :(

300-400 people on grad hold are moving to prototype in January but those that are going to SC prototype won't class up until at least July wtf?

~a dozen people got masted last week

I was excited about going to the Carrier Classic but it turned out to be really lovely(because the men's game got canceled). I'm in Goose Creek also not on leave, but I don't smoke so you won't see me! The dude with the suits is well known amongst both staff and students for consistently looking like a 3rd rate pimp.

One incident that led up to two masts was all over the school for two weeks before they went to mast for it. It's crazy how mast-thirsty students here are.(my class is, I assume they all are)

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Harmburger posted:

I was excited about going to the Carrier Classic but it turned out to be really lovely(because the men's game got canceled). I'm in Goose Creek also not on leave, but I don't smoke so you won't see me! The dude with the suits is well known amongst both staff and students for consistently looking like a 3rd rate pimp.

One incident that led up to two masts was all over the school for two weeks before they went to mast for it. It's crazy how mast-thirsty students here are.(my class is, I assume they all are)

half my a school class got masted, and during p school 2 out of the 3 black guys in our class got masted for smoking weed.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Harmburger posted:

Is this your first stand down staying here? It's so creepy outside but you can ride any bike you want to!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

half my a school class got masted, and during p school 2 out of the 3 black guys in our class got masted for smoking weed.

Turns out passing the ASVAB is not mutually exclusive with being a complete shitbag.

ChewedFood posted:

Is this your first stand down staying here? It's so creepy outside but you can ride any bike you want to!

It is my first stand down here. I could, but riding bikes while drunk doesn't work out so well. If I'm not drunk, I'd rather just drive my Comanche. I'm just pretending whenever I go outside that everyone has a big test tomorrow and that's why no one can be seen.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
You should probably go do something off-base.

Downtown Charleston has a ton of poo poo to do.

Summerville has a pretty nice downtown area.

Mt Pleasant is fancy.

You could always frequent the popular nuke hangouts in North Charleston.

After stand-down, you'll be focusing on schoolwork for the next year. After that, you'll be somewhere else. This is your best chance to experience all of the cool poo poo that Charleston has. Go drive to Queen Street, park in that parking garage, and walk up King Street until you've seen the whole thing. Go in stores, look around, eat food. That should keep you occupied for a weekend at least. After that walk down East Bay Street and Market Street.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I went home for Christmas when I was in A School. Wasn't worth it, in my opinion. All your friends forget about you from back home, so you only end up seeing one or two of them.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

You could always frequent the popular nuke hangouts in North Charleston.

As someone who spent almost all of their time hammered at the dive, hooters, or wildwings, take my advice: do not do this. Get the gently caress out of goose creek as often as possible. DOwntown Charleston is where its at. Also, I don't know if its still there, but if the lovely strip club downtown is still there (southern belle, i think?) and still no cover and byob, then thats a great place to hang out. Just, you know, don't throw money at trashy SC strippers. Bring a cooler, and like :10bux: in singles just so you don't get kicked out, and kill a few cases with bros while occasionally glancing at sub par titties.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'll get out and do some poo poo this week. I used to visit the Dive pretty often(read: every night) but once I realized I was averaging 7.50 a day per month, I cut back. The Southern Belle is still there, but now it has a $20 cover but is still BYOB. There's a former nuke stripping there too.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Somehow I'm not surprised a former nuke is stripping there. I can think of one girl in particular who would totally do that. She got in trouble for getting up and stripping in her NSUs while she was in Indoc still.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Charleston is a blast. In fact, with the possible exception of Hawaii (and even that's a maybe) it's a far better and more fun town than any of the other nuke duty stations down the line. So live it up while you can. If you're on standown / grad hold / classup / whatever, just do what you need to do to stay out of trouble and enjoy being paid to do nothing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Do they still have that gigantic sporting goods store in Charleston? I bought my first guns there. :3:

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Plenty of stores with guns. Not sure which one you are referring to. The firing range is still public and awesome, out near Mt. Pleasant, and I had plenty of time to get in some shooting during power school and prototype.

Also, don't pass up on the food just because downtown is expensive. If there is anything a regret not doing more of while I was in Charleston, is was living up the downtown cuisine more. Truly incredible.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Harmburger posted:

I'll get out and do some poo poo this week. I used to visit the Dive pretty often(read: every night) but once I realized I was averaging 7.50 a day per month, I cut back. The Southern Belle is still there, but now it has a $20 cover but is still BYOB. There's a former nuke stripping there too.

Ok, don't go to the Dive. It is horrible. I am going to make a to do list for you:

-Sesame Burgers in either Park Circle or the Citadel Mall
-Poogan's Porch downtown on Queen (wear a polo shirt)
-Charleston Cafe in Mt Pleasant
-Perfectly Franks in Summerville
-Breck's in North Charleston
-Slightly North of Broad downtown on East Bay (wear a polo shirt)
-Madra Rua in either Park Circle or Summerville
-Joe Pasta on King Street downtown
-Cookout on North Charleston
-Basil on King Street downtown
-Jack's Cosmic Dogs in West Ashley

Go eat at all of those places. It ranges from hole in the wall 4$ to "Dont dress like a hooligan"/about 12 dollar entrees.

Next:
Go to the aquarium. Go downtown, park, and walk around. Go to Battery Park. Go visit Ft Sumter. Go look at the Citadel. Go walk around the College of Charleston campus (walk around their library too, it's pretty and there are a ton of girls if you're single). Go to the different parks in the area. There are -many-. There's a ton of fishing. Go kayaking on Shim Creek.

I taught at prototype here for over 3 years. I constantly had students that had never left the usual haunts and it depresses me. If you (or anyone in this thread) need help with staying entertained in Charleston, PM me and I'll give you some tips. I've lived here for close to 5 years and my wife has lived here for 25+.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Also, you've never had awkward until a stripper at Thee Belle hears someone calling your last name, asks if you're in the Navy, then while giving you a lapdance tells you that her husband is one of your students.

Oh, don't marry strippers you meet at the strip club. It happens much more often than you'd imagine.. especially since most nuke students are goony as gently caress.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Dude in my A-school class married a stripper. Then he failed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The thing while I was at NNPTC was marrying other nukes.

• Locked thread