Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Magic Pus posted:

My main issue with Bono is that after Ian Curtis's death, he supposedly told Tony Wilson that he would "become the frontman that Ian never had a chance to be," or some ridiculous bullshit like that.

I love me some Joy Division but there isn't one sane person in the world who should believe that Ian Curtis comes anywhere close to the neighborhood of being as good a front man as Bono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
Even if that were true, it's still an obscenely arrogant and insensitive thing to say in the wake of Ian's suicide. But I think it's best to leave this can-of-worms where it is.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Pus posted:

My main issue with Bono is that after Ian Curtis's death, he supposedly told Tony Wilson that he would "become the frontman that Ian never had a chance to be," or some ridiculous bullshit like that.

Tony Wilson posted:

"Bono once said to me, he (Ian Curtis), was the best. I was always the number two, but he was the best. But you know, I'll do it anyway. Now he's gone. But I think Bono did do it. I mean, I've never been a massive U2 fan, but when I saw him, that wonderful performance at LIVE AID, I thought well there you are. But Ian would have been better, even better."

Seems reasonable to me. He doesn't sound like a very dickish 20 year old.

I don't even think he was being a dick, the whole band was a huge Joy Division and Curtis fan apparently.

I know. It doesn't show.

ANYWAY, POSTERS:

This is... really inoffensive. But it's literally Denzel just looking off-screen. :effort:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 8, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ragging on Bono is fun and all but like you said, the mainstream shift towards actual hatred comes from something really twisted. It's bizarre.

My sister works in public health as well as animal rescue, so she's involved with charity on a couple fronts. She says in those circles "Bono" is a recognized term for someone who you have to be nice to because they're contributing to great things but is totally obnoxious to actually talk to/be around.

So I don't think it's that weird, is I guess what I'm saying. Who hasn't known someone like that?

Edit: This is a really strange derail. How did we end up talking about this again?

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
Boy. War. The Joshua Tree. Achtung, Baby. All That You Can't Leave Behind. (Also, October is way underrated) I'm sorry, but anyone involved with all those albums gets a pass from me on being a dick. I mean, lest we forget he's a musical artist and start judging him on things totally unrelated to the music.

Also, am I the only person who thinks The Unforgettable Fire is actually way worse than Rattle & Hum?

EDIT: Strangely, I was just randomly, for no real reason, listening to Love is Blindness on YouTube. I just woke up in the mood to hear that song when I haven't heard it in years probably and then I come in here to find this discussion going on. Weird.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

Boy. War. The Joshua Tree. Achtung, Baby. All That You Can't Leave Behind. (Also, October is way underrated) I'm sorry, but anyone involved with all those albums gets a pass from me on being a dick. I mean, lest we forget he's a musical artist and start judging him on things totally unrelated to the music.

Also, am I the only person who thinks The Unforgettable Fire is actually way worse than Rattle & Hum?

EDIT: Strangely, I was just randomly, for no real reason, listening to Love is Blindness on YouTube. I just woke up in the mood to hear that song when I haven't heard it in years probably and then I come in here to find this discussion going on. Weird.

I just find Bono generally insufferable. Telling people to give and give while he's on massive tours (Seriously those U2 gigs cost a FORTUNE to put on) using his private Jet and also dodging the Tax man.

He has the general air of a man who contributes to a good cause not because he believes in it, but because of how it makes him look to everyone else.

Achtung Baby is a great album though.

Also, "Charles Manson stole this song from The Beatles, we're taking it back"

*Launches into insipid cover of 'Helter Skelter'*

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

bobkatt013 posted:

He wrote the songs for Spider-man the musical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-epVr5kr8M

I keep forgetting how absolutely absurd and terrible this is.

Is it still showing? I should buy tickets and go see it the next time I visit my parents.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've also seen people claim that Bono only seems to speak up about the causes he promotes when he has a record coming out.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje:f5:

Edit... This phone app sure is messing poo poo up.

niethan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 8, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

niethan posted:

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje:f5:

What about him? I just saw him in Faster.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bono hate is way overblown and gross, but it's a legitimate complaint that even though he invests a lot of capital in charities he also supports a lot of lovely politics that created those terrible conditions in the first place:

“Job creators and innovators are just the key, and aid is just a bridge,”

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Looks like that Carbon Copy kid did pretty well for himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not really, he's kind of a drunk.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Well the title is a hell of a draw but naked smackheads don't really do it justice

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
They should have only used Robert Sheehan. He actually almost looks like the kid on the War cover.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Sockser posted:

I keep forgetting how absolutely absurd and terrible this is.

Is it still showing? I should buy tickets and go see it the next time I visit my parents.

They revamped most of the show by completely rewriting the second act and removing some of Bono's songs, so now it's just merely bad instead of a complete disaster. I went in expecting a hilarious train wreck and left feeling bored.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

HoldYourFire posted:

What about him? I just saw him in Faster.

Well he should be the black panther, but my phone posted that into this thread instead of the comic book movie thread

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Why yes, I do remember Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think Jay from Red Letter Media put it best, in that his response on hearing that Tim Burton was doing a Wizard of Oz movie was "didn't he already do that?"

It's almost an unnecessary movie, because you really don't need to see it to know exactly what you would see just from hearing 'Tim Burton's Wizard of Oz'.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I guess I trust Sam Raimi a little more than Tim Burton in hoping that the film won't be absolutely filled with stupid embarrassing bullshit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I guess I trust Sam Raimi a little more than Tim Burton in hoping that the film won't be absolutely filled with stupid embarrassing bullshit.
Low hanging fruit really, but... Spider-Man 3?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's easy to tell that that's not a Tim Burton thing because there's no white makeup on anything.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Crackbone posted:

It's easy to tell that that's not a Tim Burton thing because there's no white makeup on anything.

The munchkin would have white-and-black striped pants, the flying monkey would have a maroon outfit on, the ape's trident would be black with white stripes... Oz itself would look the same, except "dark and twisted... ooOOoooo!".

I can already hear the "la la la la, la la la la... bum bum bum bum" in my head.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Stare-Out posted:

Low hanging fruit really, but... Spider-Man 3?

I keep forgetting this is a thing that exists but then I thought the dance scene was one of the few high points of that movie.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

I thought this was some fan made poster from the depths of deviant art for a second.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It has some of the same people working on it. I want to like it because I adored the Oz books as a kid and the way they shifted from old-timey 4:3 b&w to widescreen 3d in the trailer was awesome, but this looks like yet another "actors stand in front of a green screen and gape at CGI wonders" fantasy movie :/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The dance scene in Spiderman 3 was the only good thing about that movie. I don't get why people hate on that scene

Everything else in the movie was so forgettable I can't...well I can't remember any of it. There was a large ridiculous sandman in it I guess?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zzulu posted:

The dance scene in Spiderman 3 was the only good thing about that movie.

Well, that and

"How's the pie?"

"So good."

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, that and

"How's the pie?"

"So good."

I want James Franco and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to be in a movie together where they get to make increasingly outrageous facial expressions at each other and then make out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, that and

"How's the pie?"

"So good."

This right here is why I love Spider-Man 3 and I think Raimi is the loving man.

Tewratomeh posted:

I can already hear the "la la la la, la la la la... bum bum bum bum" in my head.

Danny Elfman is doing the music for the film, so we may still get that.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

so much good work rolled up and squished into a big ball of poo poo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That poster kind of reminded me of something, what was it... ?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Attack of the Plastic People!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Danny Elfman is doing the music for the film, so we may still get that.
This is actually kind of a shock to me. Elfman and Raimi had a pretty ugly falling out during "Spider-Man 3".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blah blah blah Emma Thompson. She's awesome.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 10, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I seriously thought Jeremy Irons was Henry Winkler.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

boom boom boom posted:

You gotta get Ethan Hawke in there. Sinister is almost worth watching just for Ethan Hawke's amazing face when he's freaking out.

?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Good god no :barf:

Dusk? Dawn? Morning? Lit by several off-camera nuclear explosions? You decide.

Robert Denby posted:

Jeremy Irons will be now forever known to me as "Alice Englert".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Robert Denby posted:

I know they have to list people a certain way due to contractual obligations, but goddamn do I hate it when the names don't match up with the people. At least Emma Thompson worked out.