Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kilazar posted:

Also keep it to sub $30 games. So no one has to break the bank to obtain it. I would be ok with a day being spent on Illusion of gaia, or any long game. The idea is to get people playing these games. Even if you can't beat it in a day, if you can make significant story line progress that would be ok. IMO.

How would we handle the "pick". Can the OP be edited with a poll each month? Or should we start a secondary thread each month for the pick and discussion?

Regarding a (thread) poll, that's out.

The forum software is really weird regarding polls. You can only vote in one thread poll, so say if RGB puts up a poll and we all vote it goes well. But if he changes the poll (for the next month or to add a game), we can't vote in it again for some reason.

A secondary thread might have to be made for each 'poll' but I don't know if we'll have enough people to make it worth it.

I do agree we should probably keep it under $30. Even $31-60 is pushing it and mostly stuff like popular RPGS fall into there so it's just not a good range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Regarding a (thread) poll, that's out.

The forum software is really weird regarding polls. You can only vote in one thread poll, so say if RGB puts up a poll and we all vote it goes well. But if he changes the poll (for the next month or to add a game), we can't vote in it again for some reason.

A secondary thread might have to be made for each 'poll' but I don't know if we'll have enough people to make it worth it.

I do agree we should probably keep it under $30. Even $31-60 is pushing it and mostly stuff like popular RPGS fall into there so it's just not a good range.

Is there a good, external polling site we could use and just link to it with the next months choices? We could keep everything in this thread. I don't think it will derail too much since this is after all the retro gaming thread. Maybe some kind of banner link to the poll/game of the month in the OP? That way no thread digging is needed to obtain this months poll/game choice?

Or a banner/link on the wiki?

*edit* Also, for score attack games, players should post pics of their scores for bragging rights :D. I miss the days when score loving meant something. Maybe we can have a high score section on the wiki. And that months game scores can go up there for all to see. No scores will be added for that game after the play date. Or is that too much work?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 8, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Kilazar posted:

*edit* Also, for score attack games, players should post pics of their scores for bragging rights :D.

You have to include the system in the photo though so we can see that there's no Game Genie plugged in :colbert:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

triplexpac posted:

You have to include the system in the photo though so we can see that there's no Game Genie plugged in :colbert:

ha! That is a good point. No god drat cheaters allowed. And no 30 life Konami codes!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If you want to start a "book club" for retro games (and I think that's a really cool idea), keep it on a fixed schedule and start the vote for the next one the same time the current game starts. There are a ton of websites that let you setup your own polls quickly and embed them on your own website.

I do think you could get away with longer games on a monthly schedule; it seems like a good sweet spot between score attack games you can beat in two hours and longer games that take 10-20h to complete. Lock polling a week or so before it starts so people have time to acquire the game.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

If you want to start a "book club" for retro games (and I think that's a really cool idea), keep it on a fixed schedule and start the vote for the next one the same time the current game starts. There are a ton of websites that let you setup your own polls quickly and embed them on your own website.

I do think you could get away with longer games on a monthly schedule; it seems like a good sweet spot between score attack games you can beat in two hours and longer games that take 10-20h to complete. Lock polling a week or so before it starts so people have time to acquire the game.

Agreed on the poll start time. It makes sense, though I was hoping for a longer period than 1 week to obtain a game. 2 weeks would be good. 2 weeks of voting, and 2 weeks to obtain. I'm on a bi weekly check, and if we lock the poll a week in advance, the money might not be there to obtain a game.

Say, the last saturday of the month is game day, and when the new poll goes up? or last Sunday?

Sooo... uh.. any volunteers to organize this? I would, but with new baby I don't really have the time to dedicate to upkeep since most of my posting time is during work. I should be able to scrounge some participation time though since it's only going to be one day a month.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 8, 2012

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Racketboy has a feature like that called 'Together Retro', and it's pretty popular.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Racketboy has a feature like that called 'Together Retro', and it's pretty popular.

It should preferably be a site that can get past websense :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there any reason why SNES games on Half.com seem so cheap? There are a few games for like .75 that go for $5+ on ebay.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

triplexpac posted:

Is there any reason why SNES games on Half.com seem so cheap? There are a few games for like .75 that go for $5+ on ebay.

Half.com shows you the price before shipping. Every item gets an automatic $4 dollars to ship. (unless it's from the same seller, then it's like an extra $2)

Ebay can show a price but include free shipping.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

triplexpac posted:

How are you getting it to ship to Canada?!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, it's probably using the Amazon sellers strategy: pretend your game is cheaper than the competition, while getting the difference in shipping fees.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

midge posted:

How are you getting it to ship to Canada?!

Oh they don't ship to Canada? I haven't actually bought anything yet, I was just looking.

Son of a bitch, drat you internet! haha

Edit: Seems like they do ship to Canada... kind of?

http://pages.half.ebay.com/help/seller/fulfill_can.html?helpsection=fulfill_can#toc-02

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 8, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, it's probably using the Amazon sellers strategy: pretend your game is cheaper than the competition, while getting the difference in shipping fees.

Speaking of Amazon, here's the complete opposite of cheap!

I always find it good for a laugh now and then. :v:

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

triplexpac posted:

But we should let the flash cart people play because then we could do more rare, unreleased or expensive games. I'm not saying everyone has one but I thought a lot of people did?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Sexy Slippers posted:

But we should let the flash cart people play because then we could do more rare, unreleased or expensive games. I'm not saying everyone has one but I thought a lot of people did?

I don't :( and probably never will. I can sit out the flash cart months though, as long as they aren't every month I'd be cool with super rare/expensive games being chosen.

Unless someone wants to donate one to me :P. I don't even know where to get the roms, and am not going to ask cause I'm not sure where that falls in piracy law these days.

*edit* Also, I'm ok with flashcart people playing even the normal choices. I think even emulators are OK for those that do not like investing in the hardware. Just keep the games accessible to non flashcart/emulator users.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of hardware stuff. I finally upgraded my genesis from r/f to composite, and my snes from composite to s-video.

The genesis stuff looks good, but Yoshi's island with s-video is just gorgeous.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Oh! I have an odd question.

Is it possible to back up your saved games on cartridges to PC and then get them back to the cartridge? I need to change out the battery on my FF3 soon. But I don't want to lose my 99 hour full completion save :(. Or is there an easy way to keep power to the cartridge battery slot while changing the battery?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

At least Amazon will always sort by the price+shipping, even if you still have to add them together yourself to get the total price.

Amazon sucks for anything older than PS2 though.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

Kilazar posted:

Oh! I have an odd question.

Is it possible to back up your saved games on cartridges to PC and then get them back to the cartridge? I need to change out the battery on my FF3 soon. But I don't want to lose my 99 hour full completion save :(. Or is there an easy way to keep power to the cartridge battery slot while changing the battery?

http://www.retrode.org/about/ BAM

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

You good sir, are a god!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh god, they're here! :allears:

E: For the uninitiated, these are Wizardry Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books printed only in Japan, but I was lucky enough to find a US reseller on eBay carrying them. I'll get some more pics of the insides later.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 8, 2012

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

About the retro game book club, doesn't this seem real similar to retro game masters? There is a thread for that: (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512313&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12) Or is it kind of a different idea or what?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That's more about difficult game challenges, isn't it? The idea people are talking about here seems to be more about just getting people to play some old (and possibly obscure) games and talk about them.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

That's more about difficult game challenges, isn't it? The idea people are talking about here seems to be more about just getting people to play some old (and possibly obscure) games and talk about them.

This is less of a challenge and more of an exposure I'd say. More for discussion of the game and to get you playing it. You don't have to complete the game. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I propose that Scooby Doo adventure game mentioned on the past thread. Shouldn't be too long.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Anybody have experience with http://www.dkoldies.com ?
I'm suspicious because their NES selection seems pretty broad for one retailer given how (mostly) fair their prices are. All the negative reviews I've found just complain about their refurbished NES consoles not working.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

Anybody have experience with http://www.dkoldies.com ?
I'm suspicious because their NES selection seems pretty broad for one retailer given how (mostly) fair their prices are. All the negative reviews I've found just complain about their refurbished NES consoles not working.

Order something cheap from them and find out!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So that they are easy to locate in the thread, should we have a format of some kind for the game proposals? Or are we going to start a "Retro Bookclub" thread to keep track of it, similar to the Masters thread?

Month:Month currently voting on
Game: Game name
System: System game is on.
Info: link to info of some kind
Estimated cost: Link to price or good purchase location

Thoughts?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Wow, small world. I've still got one of those Nintendo branded TV stands from the picture. I'm using it as my bedside table. Now that I know they exist I kinda wished I'd have bought the matching Nintendo stand back in the day.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

Kilazar posted:

So that they are easy to locate in the thread, should we have a format of some kind for the game proposals? Or are we going to start a "Retro Bookclub" thread to keep track of it, similar to the Masters thread?

Month:Month currently voting on
Game: Game name
System: System game is on.
Info: link to info of some kind
Estimated cost: Link to price or good purchase location

Thoughts?

Could we use the wiki for this? Maybe it would encourage people to go to the wiki more. We could also keep an ordered list of games and maybe high scores (if that's a thing we are doing)

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Erluk posted:

Could we use the wiki for this? Maybe it would encourage people to go to the wiki more. We could also keep an ordered list of games and maybe high scores (if that's a thing we are doing)

I would be ok with that! Just need a volunteer to kick start this. I don't have the time and would lose track of it really fast with the new baby.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Either that or this.

Also, Ulillillia would probably love that glitch... how high did you get?!
You can get much, much higher than that :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRx682z39vU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Y'know I just thought of another probably not too obvious advantage to emulation. Computer emulation, anyway.

I've been teaching myself Commodore Basic for the hell of it. Have any of you tried typing on a C64 keyboard after decades on a PC keyboard? poo poo ain't fun, yo. Emulation lets me use my normal keyboard, and that's pretty drat nice. I just need a proper mechanical keyboard to really round out the experience [asking for one for christmas :v:]

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Wow, small world. I've still got one of those Nintendo branded TV stands from the picture. I'm using it as my bedside table. Now that I know they exist I kinda wished I'd have bought the matching Nintendo stand back in the day.

When I was in grade 5 I had to get glasses. I picked out a super 90s pair, in retrospect, so huge and metallic. Anyway, after having them a couple weeks I looked at the inside of the arm, and sure enough there was a Nintendo logo on there. Somehow I had picked out Nintendo brand glasses without even noticing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I remembered a while back that I had this (apologies for the lovely cell phone camera):

Case has a crack on the back of it but the manual and all 4 discs are present and accounted for. Should be getting a Dreamcast soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeether posted:

I remembered a while back that I had this (apologies for the lovely cell phone camera):

Case has a crack on the back of it but the manual and all 4 discs are present and accounted for. Should be getting a Dreamcast soon.

How rare/pricy is a complete Shenmue in the US, out of curiosity?

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Not bad at all. You can find one in a used shop, CIB for $12-20.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I just got a big haul for free. Someone gave me an Apple II with a few dozen games with it, complete with the old as hell Apple printer and monitor. There's roughly 7 boxes worth of stuff but there's a load of Adventure games on 5 1/4 floppy disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

triplexpac posted:

When I was in grade 5 I had to get glasses. I picked out a super 90s pair, in retrospect, so huge and metallic. Anyway, after having them a couple weeks I looked at the inside of the arm, and sure enough there was a Nintendo logo on there. Somehow I had picked out Nintendo brand glasses without even noticing.

In Second grade, I had to get glasses, and mine were Nintendo Glasses too. They were red framed with a wire ear...thing. Mine only had a sticker over the lens, and I had to peel it off. I still don't know what those had to do with Nintendo.

• Locked thread