Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Reichstag posted:

If you threw your camera away you would still be polluting less than you are now.

im sorry im not very good i guess ill stop posting :(

edit: new page

Plates and Stuff by miso-beno, on Flickr

Some Dum Fish by miso-beno, on Flickr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Reichstag posted:

If you threw your camera away you would still be polluting less than you are now.

What are you babbling about?

Miso, love the shots, very well composed. And that wood, drat.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

I think he's saying they're not very well composed. Probably because they aren't.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

dukeku posted:

I think he's saying they're not very well composed. Probably because they aren't.

Honestly, I know they're not great and I would really like some solid critiques of my food and interior photography since I'm brand new to the art and my shots feel really generic to me.

Bobx66 posted:

Thanks <3

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 8, 2012

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So then correct me if I'm wrong but the readers of this thread now have to deal with his poo poo posting in addition to his "art?"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

So then correct me if I'm wrong but the readers of this thread now have to deal with his poo poo posting in addition to his "art?"

I didn't realize this was the "foodblog exclusive photography" thread. Learn to appreciate something different.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Oh gently caress, it's one of these discussions again. How many threads is this going to pop up in?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
It just got pretentious all up in heres.

Beans or some such thing by miso-beno, on Flickr

iced coffee by miso-beno, on Flickr

dougs nuts by miso-beno, on Flickr

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 8, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Composition isn't the issue, content is, they're empty.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reichstag posted:

Composition isn't the issue, content is, they're empty.

What do you mean by empty? I didn't take any fancy-pants art classes so I think I'm missing your message.

Here is an empty frame

empty-frame by miso-beno, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I mean there's absolutely no content or thought other than "look at this food." A goal which is often frustrated by your mystifying opposition to straight horizons and perspective, constant desire to cut subjects off, and inexplicably shallow depth of field.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Reichstag posted:

I mean there's absolutely no content or thought other than "look at this food." A goal which is often frustrated by your mystifying opposition to straight horizons and perspective, constant desire to cut subjects off, and inexplicably shallow depth of field.

Why does it take you 3 posts to get out a full sentence and why can't you do it without being a smarmy prick?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reichstag posted:

Now that wasn't so hard was it? You can't seriously expect someone to change their behavior by telling them they suck (or their work is empty, less than garbage, etc) and then walking away. That's not useful or constructive and it sure as hell doesn't help me stop taking photos that are lackluster.

I'm new to this food photography business and for the past two or so years I haven't really had any solid critiques for my other work so I was hoping that I'd start getting some good direction from you guys. I have great access to props, facilities, and food preparation skills and I would really like to do them justice.

cake-or-something-2 by miso-beno, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bobx66 posted:

Why does it take you 3 posts to get out a full sentence and why can't you do it without being a smarmy prick?

yeah his posting sure is something awful, isn't it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Stop it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

go home onion rings

you're drunk

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Now that wasn't so hard was it? You can't seriously expect someone to change their behavior by telling them they suck (or their work is empty, less than garbage, etc) and then walking away. That's not useful or constructive and it sure as hell doesn't help me stop taking photos that are lackluster.

I'm new to this food photography business and for the past two or so years I haven't really had any solid critiques for my other work so I was hoping that I'd start getting some good direction from you guys. I have great access to props, facilities, and food preparation skills and I would really like to do them justice.

cake-or-something-2 by miso-beno, on Flickr

Justice #1, remember to check your horizons. Ive noticed that you seem to forget this in some of your photos. It throws everything off and thats really all i end up focusing on.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Miso Beno posted:

It is kind of hard, because it's palliative rather than curative. I am being a dick, but it's because giving surface-level crit - like the fact that not a single one of your photos is lined up straight - doesn't get at the deeper issue of photographic content. If you just want to make documentation of food, that's fine, but it can be done perfectly well with a p+s or instagram. I just want you, and frankly almost everyone else in this thread and the wider food photography world, to expand the scope and reach of your photos. If there is no point to them beyond a pointing-to of an object in the world, then there is no interpretive or critical act, and you may as well not be making a photo at all.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Reichstag posted:

It is kind of hard, because it's palliative rather than curative. I am being a dick, but it's because giving surface-level crit - like the fact that not a single one of your photos is lined up straight - doesn't get at the deeper issue of photographic content. If you just want to make documentation of food, that's fine, but it can be done perfectly well with a p+s or instagram. I just want you, and frankly almost everyone else in this thread and the wider food photography world, to expand the scope and reach of your photos. If there is no point to them beyond a pointing-to of an object in the world, then there is no interpretive or critical act, and you may as well not be making a photo at all.

This is a pretty good example of how harsh-but-fair critique can sometimes be the most constructive. I mean let's all try not to be dicks, but still.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cookie. by MrDespair, on Flickr

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I really like this, other than the fact that the cup of Coke or Pepsi or whatever it is looks like a bottomless pit. It would look more grounded if you could see the sides of the cup.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Sandwich. by MrDespair, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I like it a lot.

Roasted Broccoli, Bacon, and Leek on Bay-Leaf Quinoa with Chard

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Graham Cracker by MrDespair, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Chickencheese by MrDespair, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Good job everyone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Reichstag posted:

Good job everyone.

I actually quite like this one.

Ugh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Perfect response.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

PushingKingston fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 2, 2015

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
Happy to see this place come a bit more alive! I'd love to give people critique on their pictures, if it is a serious picture, rather than a documentation style photo - which there is a lot of in here. But if you did think about your shot and maybe styled it in some way, I would be happy to give my 5 cents.

Some of my reason shots:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Perfect response.

Maybe, but I really can't stand anything you're posting in here. It has nothing to do with the food or the image itself. It just seems like you're trying to copy reichstag and not even doing a good job of it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 19, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Maybe, but I really can't stand anything you're posting in here. It has nothing to do with the food or the image itself. It just seems like you're trying to copy reichstag and not even doing a good job of it.

I'm sorry I'm not posting the sort of pictures food pictures you seem to enjoy! I'll try to think inside the box some more next time.

:thumbsup:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 19, 2012

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm sorry I'm not posting the sort of pictures food pictures you seem to enjoy! I'll try to think inside the box some more next time.

:thumbsup:

did you just issue mediaphage a fourth meal challenge? :snoop:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, he's a GWS poster. That explains a lot. :geno:

Musket posted:

did you just issue mediaphage a fourth meal challenge? :snoop:

That would involve posting in GWS wouldn't it? I'd probably get banned for using the wrong kind of salt if it came to that.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Everything else in here is just trying to copy every foodblog on the internet - where's your outrage?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dukeku posted:

Everything else in here is just trying to copy every foodblog on the internet - where's your outrage?

You're right, it's just that reichstag was actually doing something different with food photography for a change. I haven't liked a lot of his food stuff, but I can't deny it was interesting and different. This just felt like a weaker version of that without a point.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I know it's, y'know, food people and stuff, but could we stop with the posting about posting, where people post, etc.

And there's nothing wrong with a somewhat topical joke picture, no matter how many culinary sensibilities it offends.

Post food pics. Discuss food pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Your napkin shadow looks like it's flippin' the bird. :v:

• Locked thread