Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Think of it like coarse sriracha without garlic and sugar. Surely goons can find this useful since they pretty much put sriracha in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That was nothing like what I bought. It was incredibly salty. Like maybe I ate a chili pepper then shoved a dessert spoon of salt into my mouth at the same time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm a shockingly uncreative cook when it comes to new ingredients. I'm fine thinking of new ways to use ingredients I already know, but I basically stare at a jar of that stuff and am clueless. Same thing for any new vegetable or fruit or whatever. Probably gonna be a quantum leap in my cooking ability when I get over it.

edit: Could probably truncate at shockingly uncreative cook to be honest

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 8, 2012

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Scott Bakula posted:

That was nothing like what I bought. It was incredibly salty. Like maybe I ate a chili pepper then shoved a dessert spoon of salt into my mouth at the same time.

If it was sambal that was aimed at the Dutch market (it got into their culture as part of the Dutch takeover of Indonesia) it tends to be saltier as the Dutch love the poo poo out of salt. Sambals vary a lot by who's making it.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
So this is what I have so far:

12 oz chorizo
2.5 lb stew meat
chili powder made with ancho, guajillo, and cumin

hot italian and jalapeno peppers
chipotle peppers in sauce
tomatillos
italian canned tomato
beef stock
porter beer

garlic (1 bulb), yellow onion (2 medium)

1 can of

Anything else I'm missing?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Remove the tomatoes and add cumin.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Haha wow so I am somewhat of a novice at cooking and I made the GWS chili powder tonight with some dried chipotle, morita, and one little pequin pepper. For some reason I didn't remember the instructions to blend the pepper slices with the other powders and a fine chili powder formed that I accidentally breathed in while taking off the lid to the blender. Usually my mistakes just taste bad but this was a physical reminder of how stupid I am. Ended up adding the cumin and other powders and finishing through it after shoving toilet paper soaked in milk up my nostrils.

And it was all worth it. The powder is pretty awesome. Going to use it to make my first batch of chili tomorrow.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I'm a shockingly uncreative cook when it comes to new ingredients. I'm fine thinking of new ways to use ingredients I already know, but I basically stare at a jar of that stuff and am clueless.

I could understand if it was like.... shrimp paste or something. but it's just some spicy chili sauce man - I mean hopefully if you were a tobasco user and someone gave you a bottle of franks red hot you wouldn't cower in front of it goin :ohdear:

but still, I know what you mean about new ingredients. I've run in to a few recently that I bought and just can't figure out how to use effectively. I feel like a dolt and every time I try to use them in something I get kinda :smith: because it just doesn't taste very good. so don't sweat it :glomp:

I agree with gravity though, it's just a more straightforward version of sriracha - I use sambal like gangbusters in sauces, dressings, and marinades. sriracha always tastes like sriracha, but you can use sambal in something and it won't inherently make the whole thing taste like sriracha.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for all of the suggestions GWS. I'll update on my improvements when I do another batch. However, I found that my GF is a bean lovin' heathen. It's actually caused a bit of friction (especially as she's a born southerner).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions GWS. I'll update on my improvements when I do another batch. However, I found that my GF is a bean lovin' heathen. It's actually caused a bit of friction (especially as she's a born southerner).

cook some beans in a seperate pot, she can add them as she sees fit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I need to find some better sambal. Does anyone have recommended brands?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott Bakula posted:

I think I need to find some better sambal. Does anyone have recommended brands?

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Great! Now I can add tasty hotness without straying away from cock!

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Turned out great!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Making iron leg's recipe from page one, smells amazing so far!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What do you do after you make some skyline chili?

AW gently caress HERE COMES THE 4-WAY

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone have a favorite convenient way to freeze/store chili? Would like to bring portions of it to work to reheat in the microwave.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sure! I've put together a helpful guide that you might find useful :

• open freezer door
  • put chili in freezer
  • close freezer door

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Also remember to check that is the freezer is plugged in and that the power is set to 'on'.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Making iron leg's recipe from page one, smells amazing so far!

This stuff came out so loving awesome! Used one habanero and 2 jalapeños and it needs more heat.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone have a favorite convenient way to freeze/store chili? Would like to bring portions of it to work to reheat in the microwave.

Line a mug or a jar with an appropriately-sized Ziploc freezer bag, and portion it that way. You can easily just defrost/heat one portion for work or whatever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Making iron leg's recipe again, I am pretty sure it will beat the reigning chili cook off champ at work.

Smells awesome so far... I skipped the ground beef and went with 1 lb of ground chorizo, full sail ale, 2 habaneros and 2 jalapeños. I had to skim off a lot of oil, I'm guessing it was from from the chorizo.

Catface Meowmers
Dec 27, 2007
I made chili last night!

Here's my recipe:

For the chilli paste:

2 dried chipotle peppers
1 dried ancho chili
1 dried mulato chili
1 dried hot yellow pepper (this is literally what the package says, no idea what kind of pepper it actually is)

Other ingredients:

1 kg of beef shoulder, cubed
175g (or so) of bacon, diced
1 medium brown onion, roughly diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bottle of beer (I happened to have a 330ml bottle of Monteith’s crushed pear cider on hand so I used that and I loved it)
1 cup of brewed coffee (I used instant)
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
2 tbsp of cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp allspice (I ran out and had to use Chinese five spice, not very authentic but it tasted good)
½ tsp ground clove

Method:

Rip the stems off the dried chillies and roughly chop. Toss them into a (preferably cast iron) saucepan over medium-high heat. Roast until fragrant (5-10 minutes should be plenty). Remove from the pan and place into a bowl with 1 cup of water and let them soak for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy bottomed pan or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until the fat renders out. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat behind.

Brown your meat in the bacon fat in batches and remove to a plate.

Add a little olive oil to the pan if it needs it and sweat the onions until they are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so. Now you can add all the meat back to the pan (including the bacon).

Add the beer (or cider), plus 2 cups of water and all of your spices. Mix it all up and bring it to a boil before turning it down to a gentle simmer.

Meanwhile, take your soaking chillis and blend them up, water and all, with the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce until a smooth paste forms. I strained mine through a fine mesh sieve to make it smoother because my food processor sucks. Now add the paste into your chili pot and stir it in.

Cook partially covered for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. If it looks like it’s getting too dry, add a little more water.

I served mine with a sweet potato rosti and melted cheese. Also sour cream and some guac (not pictured). Delicious :3:

This is my first post in GWS, I hope I did good :ohdear:
Also I'm still trying to source a larger variety of dried chillies for the paste but they can be tough to find in Australia :/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a solid chili recipe and looks great. Good job! I'd probably use more chilis, but that's me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Your meat chunks look almost like burnt ends from brisket. Is that from the coffee or what? It looks amazing but I read your directions twice looking for the part where you smoked the meat.

Catface Meowmers
Dec 27, 2007

Kenning posted:

That's a solid chili recipe and looks great. Good job! I'd probably use more chilis, but that's me.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm kind of a lightweight when it comes to spicy foods so that amount is enough to give it a little kick without setting my mouth completely on fire :keke:

bunnielab posted:

Your meat chunks look almost like burnt ends from brisket. Is that from the coffee or what? It looks amazing but I read your directions twice looking for the part where you smoked the meat.

No, I don't smoke it at all! I'm not sure what specifically gives it that appearance but I do know that it tastes drat fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Assuming you cooked it in the oven, if you didn't stir it too often it could well be the meat that was at the top

Catface Meowmers
Dec 27, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

Assuming you cooked it in the oven, if you didn't stir it too often it could well be the meat that was at the top

I did this all on the stove top but you're right about the not stirring often. It does pretty much stay that colour when stirred though so I'm not sure. I always just figured it was a combination of the chillies/coffee and the browning the meat step which gave it that look?

Either way I had tons of leftovers so tonight I did chili dogs!

Served with a really quick coleslaw:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Very awesome chilicheese

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wow, oh wow, what a chili dog. -Anthony Bourdain

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Iron Leg posted:

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
  • 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 (12 oz) can Coca-Cola
  • 1/2 (12 oz) can beer (your choice here, doesn't have a huge impact what you use, just make sure it's not too lovely)
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each (alternately, 1 habanero and 1 jalapeno)
  • 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

I'm making this today. However, Indiana does not sell alcohol on Sunday, and I have no beer in the house. What will substitute for the half can of beer?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Actually, I'll just skip the beer.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

merk posted:

Actually, I'll just skip the beer.

It looks like it already has like a half gallon of liquid in it. You probably won't even notice.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
The beer is the best part. Magic Hat 9! day :manning:

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Ingredients
1.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
32oz Black Beans
32oz Dark Kidney Beans
32oz Light Kidney Beans
16oz Frozen Sweet Corn
16oz Diced Tomatoes
16oz Tomato Sauce
4oz Tomato Paste
1 medium Green Bell Pepper
1 large Sweet Onion
Chilies (I used 1 pablano because my wife doesn't handle spice well, although I diced a habenero for my bowl.
Chili Powder (oh god you're making your own I hope)
Fajita/Taco Seasonings
Extra Cumin
Crockpot

Topping
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese

Made this today before my wife and I left for school and let it cook for almost 12 hours. Just dump everything in the pot (if using dried beans, reserve 1cup of each soaking liquid and mixed with a little corn starch if its not really thick like canned beans) and layer the chicken on top. When its done, remove the chicken and shred then return to the pot and mix well.

This was not only my first foray into a chicken chili, but also a southwestern Tex-mex style chili hideous abomination. This is easily one of the better chili recipes I've worked from for chili and I'm glad the yield was about 5 quarts worth of chili. Perfect for the cold weather and as an easy reheatable meal to take to school.

Kasan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 27, 2012

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Kasan posted:

Ingredients
1.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
32oz Black Beans
32oz Dark Kidney Beans
32oz Light Kidney Beans
16oz Frozen Sweet Corn
16oz Diced Tomatoes
16oz Tomato Sauce
4oz Tomato Paste
1 medium Green Bell Pepper
1 large Sweet Onion
Chilies (I used 1 pablano because my wife doesn't handle spice well, although I diced a habenero for my bowl.
Chili Powder (oh god you're making your own I hope)
Fajita/Taco Seasonings
Extra Cumin
Crockpot

Topping
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese

Made this today before my wife and I left for school and let it cook for almost 12 hours. Just dump everything in the pot (if using dried beans, reserve 1cup of each soaking liquid and mixed with a little corn starch if its not really thick like canned beans) and layer the chicken on top. When its done, remove the chicken and shred then return to the pot and mix well.

This was not only my first foray into a chicken chili, but also a southwestern Tex-mex style chili. This is easily one of the better chili recipes I've worked from for chili and I'm glad the yield was about 5 quarts worth of chili. Perfect for the cold weather and as an easy reheatable meal to take to school.

If you made that chili in Texas they would shoot you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Kasan posted:

Abomination

We don't take warmly to your kind round these parts.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Taima posted:

We don't take warmly to your kind round these parts.

But I come bearing chili :saddowns:.

In seriousness, its not bad. Needs more beef and less most everything else, but still good. I made some beef heart chili a month back and forgot to take pictures of it.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Kasan posted:

In seriousness, its not bad. Needs more beef and less most everything else, but still good. I made some beef heart chili a month back and forgot to take pictures of it.

This ain't no namby pamby feel-good soup thread, stranger :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kasan posted:

No, you don't.