Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Man, uh, I'm not sure I want to see Princess Leia return.

Not in the metal bikini, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"Cameo in Austin Powers" Carrie Fisher would've been nice. Modern day "Botoxed to hell and back" Carrie Fisher would not be.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of warlords, did any of them ever have any significant appearances outside the X-Wing series? Even there, I think the only important ones were Zsinj (best EU enemy after Thrawn?) and the one with the robotic hand.

Zsinj gets a very nice retroactive "He's not actually that stupid" retcon in the Wrath Squadron arc, compared to his otherwise-inept appearance in Courtship.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
In Wraith Squadron, Zsinj joins Thrawn in the very short list of Star Wars villains who get to be smart without the good guys being absolutely retarded.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Let's see... the main Warlords I remember are
Zsinj
Issard
Dalaa
Whasshiface from Imp Training Planet...
Do we count the council of evil smart people from the Academy trilogy?
Mourthe Doole (kinda)
Thrawn (if we're being honest)
The guy who tried to out politic Palleon in the Hand of Thrawn
Does the Cloned and Dead Emperor's sleeper plots count?
Carnor Jax (Crimson Empire)
Gov. of Bakura
There are several in the Rogue Squadron Comics (usually backed up by Issard)
Brakiss (kinda)

Non-imp warlords include
Hutt from Darksaber
Thracken Sal-Solo
Yavetha punk
Ssi-Ruuk dudes

Yes I realize that some of these are kinda reaching... but I still count em.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Calax posted:

There are several in the Rogue Squadron Comics (usually backed up by Isard)

Either of these could apply to Prince-Admiral Krennel, I believe.

I always thought Thrackan Sal-Solo could be a cool character if he was written better.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Hello Towel posted:

Either of these could apply to Prince-Admiral Krennel, I believe.

I always thought Thrackan Sal-Solo could be a cool character if he was written better.

It's not Krennel, although he is one of the guys backed by Issard in the comics.

He runs Cardaria, and only really shows up in Jedi Academy Trilogy... and his only real contribution is tossing booze in Mon Mothmas face. That gives her Aids...

And yes, I'm completely serious about that.

Here he is... ok he's not TECHNICALLY a warlord, but still
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Furgan

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Man, uh, I'm not sure I want to see Princess Leia return.
Last I heard she was doing stand-up in the 909, according to a radio ad I heard a couple of weeks ago.

Splendid!
Jun 14, 2011

Bow ties are cool.
Has anyone ever heard or seen a reference to headlights or landing flood lights on a Snowspeeder/T-47 Airspeeder?

They HAVE to have lights.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Splendid! posted:

Has anyone ever heard or seen a reference to headlights or landing flood lights on a Snowspeeder/T-47 Airspeeder?

They HAVE to have lights.
I seem to remember a picture from somewhere of a T-47 with a floodlight on its forward landing strut.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Calax posted:

Let's see... the main Warlords I remember are
Zsinj
Issard
Dalaa
Do we count the council of evil smart people from the Academy trilogy?
Mourthe Doole (kinda)
Thrawn (if we're being honest)
The guy who tried to out politic Palleon in the Hand of Thrawn
Does the Cloned and Dead Emperor's sleeper plots count?
Carnor Jax (Crimson Empire)
Gov. of Bakura
There are several in the Rogue Squadron Comics (usually backed up by Issard)
Brakiss (kinda)

Non-imp warlords include
Hutt from Darksaber
Thracken Sal-Solo
Yavetha punk
Ssi-Ruuk dudes

Yes I realize that some of these are kinda reaching... but I still count em.

Let's not forget the members of Trioculus's famed "Mofference" :iamafag:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

SirPhoebos posted:

Let's not forget the members of Trioculus's famed "Mofference" :iamafag:

Those guys all got executed for being lame, remember?

Splendid!
Jun 14, 2011

Bow ties are cool.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I seem to remember a picture from somewhere of a T-47 with a floodlight on its forward landing strut.

Any chance of finding it? A friend is arguing hard that since lights are never mentioned they don't exist on the ship. I think that's dumb. In practise it has to have lights. All ships have to.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Jedi Academy: On the mission without your lightsaber (2nd tier last mission), what are the two creatures representing on the E-Web(?) firing range?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Found this today, thought you guys might be interested. Let the rumors and speculation begin.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Benway posted:

Found this today, thought you guys might be interested. Let the rumors and speculation begin.

On the one hand, I'd be down for an Arndt screenplay. On the other...I'm not sure I trust Spielburg to make a film that involves Lucas and not consider everything he says seriously. Sure, Lucas has retired, and I believe his goal of passing the torch on Star Wars is genuine. But if it's one of the old guard making the film, I worry that his instinct to tinker may be too strong.

:goonsay:

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

On the one hand, I'd be down for an Arndt screenplay. On the other...I'm not sure I trust Spielburg to make a film that involves Lucas and not consider everything he says seriously. Sure, Lucas has retired, and I believe his goal of passing the torch on Star Wars is genuine. But if it's one of the old guard making the film, I worry that his instinct to tinker may be too strong.

:goonsay:

Spielberg said he won't direct it and starwars.com today announced that Arndt will indeed write the screenplay.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well that is some good news.

I'm still on the fence about dragging the real life actors and actress for the big three into the project.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well that is some good news.

I'm still on the fence about dragging the real life actors and actress for the big three into the project.

I do t know if I want them as the main characters, but even supporting roles would be great. Put Luke into the Yoda role, for instance.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Derek Dominoe posted:

I do t know if I want them as the main characters, but even supporting roles would be great. Put Luke into the Yoda role, for instance.

Have Harrison Ford play Greedo and take the "Han shot first" thing to the next level.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I've been reading the much-respected Secret History of Star Wars book following from the announcement of the new films, and given that Lucas is still being involved and has written treatments for the new films, there's some information in there which hints at possible plots:

(I'll leave my personal opinions on this content out of this post, to try to keep it as factual as possible.)

* Before films 6-9 got condensed into just 6, Lucas wanted the second trilogy to follow Luke's protege, Yoda's "There is another". In condensing the films into RotJ, making Leia the 'other' was his way of closing that plot point. Now that 7-9 are open again, Luke's mysterious counterpart is now known, but it's likely that a new generation of Jedi will be involved. Possibly just one, as that's what was always emphasised, but potentially Jaina and Jacen if they go the fan favourite route.

* Lucas also put a lot of emphasis on the aged Luke (and to a lesser degree Han and Leia) being involved in an Obi-Wan cameo way. He acknowledged that they'd be old characters, nearer 60 than 40 (which fits with the actors' ages now), and said he'd have the original actors if he could. He also wanted the theme of 'passing on what you have learned'. Additionally, when he was first approached about books, he apparently was giving up on his sequel films but wanting wiggle room - asking that at first they'd be set 3-5 years after his films (as with Thrawn), despite wanting to set his about 20 years after. This supports that a new generation of Jedi will be involved, but with a bonus of maybe continuity of the Thrawn books won't be overwritten.

* The original 7-9 threat was going to be the Emperor (not revealed in 6 in the original drafts), but that got condensed into 6 when the sequels were axed. However, at the same time as Thrawn (i.e. when Lucas had given up on the sequels) he had a lot of input into the storyline where the Emperor's force ghost resurrects into clone bodies. He also, apparently, really liked this plot. Lucas and other high-ranking Lucasfilm folk at the time did talk about the difficulties in 'topping' Vader and the Emperor as enemies - this solves the problem. We've heard rumours of a resurrected Vader - these could be garbled rumours of a resurrected Emperor. [personal comment] This also solves the problem of keeping thematic consistency with what the current generation of fans knows - The Emperor, and Clones, are well known elements.

* Lucas also, back in the early '80s, mentioned that all three of his trilogies would be stylistically different. We've seen this with the gritty originals and clean, CG prequels. He also spoke of having the originals being his high-adventure story, his prequels being his social and political commentary story (yay Clone Wars senate sessions!) and the sequels being more 'introspective'. Given how much the style of Star Wars is now ingrained, it's unlikely they'll want to deviate heavily, and we'll likely get a tidier merging of both trilogies' styles (like the Clone Wars show) The 'introspection' may be toned down, but the resurrected emperor storyline which Lucas liked included some less black and white thinking and Luke struggling with the Darkside. Could be that, if Luke is in any more than a cameo, we may see an element of this kind of internal conflict.

* We've heard rumours of a 'Darth Tano'. These could be fake (and of course she didn't exist in Lucas' mind back then), but again, one of the new teams' goals will be to keep consistency with both trilogies. She's following Anakin's path in the TV show. (Not related to the book mentioned above but something which may come into play).

* Some mention of Leia as Queen of the (surviving) Alderaanians, leaving her isolated, was made back in the day.

* Han dies in a few early story drafts for films 6 onwards.

* The setting of the sequels was always intended to be 'The Rebuilding of the Republic'.

* Summarily, it becomes clear from Secret History that Lucas' plans for the sequels were relatively light on plot but heavy on theme, and that the materials released most soon after Jedi (Thrawn, and Resurrected Emperor comics) represent not necessarily Lucas' original story intent, but are probably the closest we currently have of his intended themes. These two in particular had his very close involvement. [Personal] Thus, I'd position that those two sources are likely closest in terms of feel to what we'll get, perhaps similar in plot, and perhaps even required reference material for the writers (though probably not in a 'turn this into a script' way).

EddieDean fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 13, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has time dilation ever been brought up in SW. I know there would not be much of an effect during hyperspace travel, but ships traveling very fast out of hyperspace would run into that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So the non KJA canon might get lucky and all smashed together with themes from Dark Empire and the Thrawn Trilogy?

I'm sort of okay with most of that :unsmith:.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EddieDean posted:

* The original 7-9 threat was going to be the Emperor (not revealed in 6 in the original drafts), but that got condensed into 6 when the sequels were axed. However, at the same time as Thrawn (i.e. when Lucas had given up on the sequels) he had a lot of input into the storyline where the Emperor's force ghost resurrects into clone bodies. He also, apparently, really liked this plot. Lucas and other high-ranking Lucasfilm folk at the time did talk about the difficulties in 'topping' Vader and the Emperor as enemies - this solves the problem. We've heard rumours of a resurrected Vader - these could be garbled rumours of a resurrected Emperor. [personal comment] This also solves the problem of keeping thematic consistency with what the current generation of fans knows - The Emperor, and Clones, are well known elements.

Just a few comments on how the Dark Empire comic (the resurrected emperor clone body storyline you mention) could come into play.

First off, the original idea for Dark Empire wasn't to resurrect Palpatine, but rather to resurrect Vader. This was nixed by Lucas himself. Lucas has also said more recently (as in a few years back) that in his mind Vader never comes back in any way in any hypothetical post-ROTJ story. So while Lucas could certainly change his mind (which wouldn't shock anyone) given his past statements at least and the fact that the sequels are coming from a story outline from him seem to debunk the rumor that Ep 7 will see a reborn/cloned/whatever Vader.

Second, I've thought for years that Dark Empire would be closest to what we might see in a potential sequel trilogy, partly due to the fact that it was based a lot on rejected ROTJ ideas/art concepts and vague sequel trilogy ideas from the time. So there's stuff like Leia and Han dealing with marriage and raising Jedi kids, Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi and grapple with his father's legacy, and the Republic being rebuilt. Also it features stuff like a more mystical look at the Force and lots of Jedi vs. Sith lightsaber fights that weren't really in the OT but from the PT it's clear Lucas is now more interested in.

Finally I think a lot of evidence that Lucas took at least a few ideas from Dark Empire for the PT. Dark Empire was the first work to connect Palpatine to the Sith, give him an interest in using the Force to search for immortality, and connected him to a secret cloning project. So it wouldn't surprise me that, if anything from the EU gets picked up for the sequels, it stands the best chance of coming from Dark Empire.

Further according to the Clone Wars production staff most of what Lucas uses from the EU for the show is stuff from visual mediums (comics and games) since that grabs him more than prose only (again, no surprise) so that would also back up that, unfortunately, we're probably not very likely to get many novel influences on any Lucas-based story outline for the future movies.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

Has time dilation ever been brought up in SW. I know there would not be much of an effect during hyperspace travel, but ships traveling very fast out of hyperspace would run into that.

Nope, because Star Wars doesn't run on physics, it runs on ADVENTURE.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

Not really time dilation, but Crosscurrent involves a time travel plot which, IIRC, resulted from a damaged ship trying to enter/exit hyperspace or something like that.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Just a few comments on how the Dark Empire comic (the resurrected emperor clone body storyline you mention) could come into play.

First off, the original idea for Dark Empire wasn't to resurrect Palpatine, but rather to resurrect Vader. This was nixed by Lucas himself. Lucas has also said more recently (as in a few years back) that in his mind Vader never comes back in any way in any hypothetical post-ROTJ story. So while Lucas could certainly change his mind (which wouldn't shock anyone) given his past statements at least and the fact that the sequels are coming from a story outline from him seem to debunk the rumor that Ep 7 will see a reborn/cloned/whatever Vader.

Second, I've thought for years that Dark Empire would be closest to what we might see in a potential sequel trilogy, partly due to the fact that it was based a lot on rejected ROTJ ideas/art concepts and vague sequel trilogy ideas from the time. So there's stuff like Leia and Han dealing with marriage and raising Jedi kids, Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi and grapple with his father's legacy, and the Republic being rebuilt. Also it features stuff like a more mystical look at the Force and lots of Jedi vs. Sith lightsaber fights that weren't really in the OT but from the PT it's clear Lucas is now more interested in.

Finally I think a lot of evidence that Lucas took at least a few ideas from Dark Empire for the PT. Dark Empire was the first work to connect Palpatine to the Sith, give him an interest in using the Force to search for immortality, and connected him to a secret cloning project. So it wouldn't surprise me that, if anything from the EU gets picked up for the sequels, it stands the best chance of coming from Dark Empire.

Further according to the Clone Wars production staff most of what Lucas uses from the EU for the show is stuff from visual mediums (comics and games) since that grabs him more than prose only (again, no surprise) so that would also back up that, unfortunately, we're probably not very likely to get many novel influences on any Lucas-based story outline for the future movies.

There're some good points in here.

On the resurrected Vader/Emperor thing, I personally agree that it's unlikely he'd resurrect Vader, but just for fairness of argument, a couple of counterpoints:
* He may have originally nixed the idea of resurrecting Vader when he was still in the 'allow for sequels but protect my own ideas' phase.
* Brand awareness is a powerful thing, and Lucas isn't fully in charge now.
Still think it's unlikely though.

I would not be suprised at all if someone came back cloned, given it's a Lucas-approved plot in both Dark Empire (the Emperor) AND Thrawn trilogy (C'Baoth). (Gosh, I hope that isn't where the Darth Tano rumours stem from).

We also know that Palpatine was big on trying to keep himself alive, following some of Plagueis' teachings, among other things.

Then again, the series has to move forward from Vader/Emperor/Clone Wars eventually. I strongly hope that Ep7 is being written with the Disney-approved structure of 7-9 already in place at the very least.

I think the old crowd (Luke, Han, Leia)'s actors are really too old now to be the main focus (not in terms of their acting ability, just in terms of intended audience), and that it's likely that any 'raising kids' plotline (while likely) is probably going to be much more kids in the foreground, old crowd in the background. (Less 'handing down teachings', more 'receiving handed down teachings').

Another thought: In my earlier post I was thinking it's likely they'd go a super-bad guy (Emperor-class) with a minor bad guy under him (Vader-class) for the new trilogy, but really the prequels changed the formula into a new main minor bad guy each film (Maul, Dooku, Grievous) - probably for marketing* reasons. If they intend to follow that kind of path, we may have a higher likelihood of seeing a plethora of villains, such as Thrawn, Darth Tano, etc.

Also, I'd love for them to update the TIE fighters into these:

* On marketing, that reminds me - Michael Arndt was clearly chosen as writer because, as with Toy Story, he was great at taking a well-loved existing story forward. Which makes him a great choice. But also, in retrospect, one of his key directives when writing TS3 was also writing it in such a way that it supported a huge sale of the toys. It's interesting, knowing how HUGE star wars merchandising is, that he's in a situation where he'll do that again. In a good way, I mean - the plotline of Toy Story 3 was in no way marred by the additional requirement to sell toys.

EddieDean fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 13, 2012

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

'Hyperspace shielding' or whatever that meant. There was a story about some race of spider aliens living in hyperspace and a ship who's shielding failed and ended up a few hundred years into the future were the Alliance found it then fought the spider aliens.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was just thinking the other day that time dilation could have been in play in ESB when the Falcon travels to Bespin and Luke is training on Dagobah.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

EddieDean posted:

Also, I'd love for them to update the TIE fighters into these:

I would love it if They feature the TIE Defender in the new movies :awesome:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

EddieDean posted:

(Gosh, I hope that isn't where the Darth Tano rumours stem from)

I've seen this rumor in a couple of different places now but I keep wondering: wouldn't she take a different name if she became Darth _______? I know it's easy to have people understand what character you're talking about if you're discussing rumors, but I've seen people talk about it like that's actually what she's being called.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

I've seen this rumor in a couple of different places now but I keep wondering: wouldn't she take a different name if she became Darth _______? I know it's easy to have people understand what character you're talking about if you're discussing rumors, but I've seen people talk about it like that's actually what she's being called.

I'm pretty sure it's a completely unfounded rumour anyway, but yeah, Sith generally take a new name. I doubt she has one, as I really doubt that Lucasarts will go that route.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

EddieDean posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a completely unfounded rumour anyway, but yeah, Sith generally take a new name. I doubt she has one, as I really doubt that Lucasarts will go that route.

The new names that Sith take are almost always moronic. They're about the same level as parodies of them.

For example: Darth Stroyer, Darth Howl, Darth Urderer, Darth Iratus, Darth Trocious, Darth Sploder, Darth Kallous and Darth Ithead.

Pick which ones are parodies and which ones are technincally canon.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Wampus42 posted:

The new names that Sith take are almost always moronic. They're about the same level as parodies of them.

For example: Darth Stroyer, Darth Howl, Darth Urderer, Darth Iratus, Darth Trocious, Darth Sploder, Darth Kallous and Darth Ithead.

Holy poo poo, some of these are actual names. :negative:

What happened to Sith having cool names, like Nihilus, Sion, Tyrannus, etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VaultAggie posted:

Holy poo poo, some of these are actual names. :negative:

What happened to Sith having cool names, like Nihilus, Sion, Tyrannus, etc.

Those aren't cool, either.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Wampus42 posted:

You've been watching too much Futurama. :colbert:

api call girl posted:

Those aren't cool, either.

Cool, in this case, is pretty relative. That said, I may just be conflating the name itself with the Sith in question, because drat if Nihilus and Sion weren't interesting from a design standpoint.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ursine Asylum posted:

You've been watching too much Futurama. :colbert:

Cool, in this case, is pretty relative. That said, I may just be conflating the name itself with the Sith in question, because drat if Nihilus and Sion weren't interesting from a design standpoint.

I liked Darth Zannah, but that was a weird exception to the whole "take a new name" rule.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Darth undeado.

(see the penny arcade comic I posted earlier).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calax posted:

Darth undeado.

They've done that one already, after a fashion; Darth Andeddu turned out to be a zombie in Legacy. Actually, speaking of Legacy, they certainly ran out of Darth names pretty quickly, didn't they?

Did anybody ever see the flash video (which I think came out either between Episode I and Episode II or Episode II and Episode III) which explained that "Darth" means in, so Darth Vader and Darth Sidious actually mean "invader" and "insidious" respectively? It went on to suggest names like "Darth Decent Exposure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Metal Loaf posted:

They've done that one already, after a fashion; Darth Andeddu turned out to be a zombie in Legacy. Actually, speaking of Legacy, they certainly ran out of Darth names pretty quickly, didn't they?
I was so sure you were making this up.

:negative: