Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

jrodefeld posted:

Let's say a company has a permit to chop down wood on property it owns but nowhere else. Or a fishing company can fish in a lake it owns but nowhere else. What economic sense does it make for the company to chop down all the trees or catch all the fish without efforts to replenish the supply for future years?

Suppose, for a moment, that capitalists are actually interested in making money. Then they could buy land one year, chop down all the trees to get instant profit, use that profit to buy more land (or something completely different) next year, asset strip that the same way, and profit some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Much as I disagree with Jrodinfeld's comments, they do make an interesting point in regards to taking personal control, and doing one's part in regards to climate change... I will admit that we are limited in the amount of things we can do - but even little things could have a bigger impact.

Of course, that being said; I wonder what China might look like in 30 years in comparison to the pressures Germany invoked upon England and her allies before the first world war... My fear is that nations that remain stuck using old technology will be faced with two options - either forcibly embrace the old technology to the point of obsolescence, or try as hard as possible to play catch-up.

When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy of all is war, which provideth for every man, by victory or death.”
― Thomas Hobbes

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Papercut posted:

I think it goes beyond even how well-informed the electorate is. When it comes down to imposing austerity measures on yourself to benefit a nebulous other/future, humanity simply isn't emotionally advanced enough to do it. Even if you could educate an entire electorate to understand that they were suffering to preserve the future of their culture, you would have to convince them that not only was the suffering worth it, but suffering even more the following election cycle and then even more the following election cycle (as you impose stricter and stricter emissions limits) and so on would also be worth it. Politicians would be running on the platform of making things even shittier while their opponents promise to ease the suffering. Summed up well by this, which has been posted here before.

Only an autocrat is capable of imposing the long-term austerity needed to address the issue, in my opinion.
Austerity isn't the solution. There's trillions of dollars of wealth being hoarded by the capitalist elite and corporations, which if taxed would be more than enough to start rebuilding the infrastructure of the US (and if the policy was expanded to other countries, the world). The massive jobs program that would result would be akin to WW2 spending getting the US out of the Great Depression (without the death and destruction), and allow for a drastic reduction in unemployment while providing well paying jobs--which would effectively end the ongoing economic crisis.

Austerity is a tool of the financial elite to protect their profits. Even the IMF admits it doesn't actually work.

Job Truniht posted:

Didn't someone a few pages back post a good paper on why libertarians must reject climate change for ideological reasons? I thought this was a non issue in this thread.
I might have. Is Capitalism vs. the Climate what you're thinking of?

Edit:

jrodefeld posted:

Now, I understand that many progressives think of regulations as laws and rules that are designed to protect consumers from corporate abuse and misconduct. Therefore, as with the economic crash of 2008, they attribute the unprecedented banking and corporate fraud and abuse to mean that we have less regulations than we did before. The truth is that business interests and corporations actually lobby for more regulations in order to hurt their competitors or grant themselves a monopoly. Therefore a great number of regulations on the books actually protect corporate interests rather than protecting consumers.
You're trying to measure regulations as a quantity, where "more" = "bad" and "less" = "good." That isn't how it works. "Regulations" can either be good or bad. The numerous regulations that were repealed that allowed the financial industry to crash the global economy were good regulations. Regulations that are targeted at destroying small businesses are bad regulations.

The quantity of regulations is irrelevant as long as they are crafted to be effective and serve the correct purpose; in the case this thread is talking about, that means strong environmental regulations that prevent fossil fuels from causing climate change and therefore starvation, sea level rise, drought, desertification, extreme weather, and a load of other horrific effects.

jrodefeld posted:

However, the market provides regulations that are usually stricter and more comprehensive than government regulations.
This is an incredible claim. You must have some sort of peer reviewed economic study that backs it up, so please cite it. Since this is the climate change thread, I assume your source is, perhaps, a case study of environmental regulations or directly analogous.

Edit 2 Live Free Or Edit Hard:

Shai Hulud posted:

And seriously, to second the previously-mentioned point: shut the gently caress up about libertarianism/free market/whatthefuckever. This isn't an economic, philosophic, or political issue. This is a scientific issue.
I would argue that the problems of stopping climate change are entirely economic and political. Finding solutions thus means addressing economic and political challenges, and therefore is in the scope of this thread.

The problem is that jrodefeld isn't actually focusing on concretely applying libertarian philosophy to climate change, but instead waxing evangelical as he spoutes vague, unsupported platitudes that derail the thread.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 8, 2012

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guigui posted:

they do make an interesting point in regards to taking personal control, and doing one's part in regards to climate change... I will admit that we are limited in the amount of things we can do - but even little things could have a bigger impact.

Personal control means rather little, unless it includes the ability to prevent others from burning fossil fuels. If half of us slashed our own consumption tomorrow, we 'd be making fossil fuels cheaper for the other half, and so encouraging them to use more. The essential problem is that we cannot afford to let anyone burn our known fuel reserves. I don't see a way 'personal responsibility' or 'property rights' could assist here.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
^^^ yeah this.

Guigui posted:

Much as I disagree with Jrodinfeld's comments, they do make an interesting point in regards to taking personal control, and doing one's part in regards to climate change... I will admit that we are limited in the amount of things we can do - but even little things could have a bigger impact.

Of course, that being said; I wonder what China might look like in 30 years in comparison to the pressures Germany invoked upon England and her allies before the first world war... My fear is that nations that remain stuck using old technology will be faced with two options - either forcibly embrace the old technology to the point of obsolescence, or try as hard as possible to play catch-up.

When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy of all is war, which provideth for every man, by victory or death.”
― Thomas Hobbes
There's value to taking personal and direct interest in "doing what you can" for yourself and your immediate family. Unfortunately, that value is mainly in accepting that climate change is real and doing what you can in advance to insulate you and yours from the effects of social disruption & displacement, as well as the inevitable regime of rationing and austerity we're going to get around to once powerful states realize they need to take action.

People from Michael Pollan to Dmitri Orlov have thoughts on what might be called first-world collapsarianism, and it amounts to "while gas and plastic are cheap build yourself a microinfrastructure and foster the groudnwork for mutual aid" and "get ready to garden and bike a lot"

It also has a rhetorical and political value for convincing your relatives and neighbors that climate change is real, because you're acting as if you believe what you're saying is true.

However, this isn't doing anything for prevention -- it's adaptation while adaptation is (relatively) cheap and easy. So long as we don't institute hard caps on GHG emissions and enforce them, we're stuck with Jevon's paradox and the rebound effect. Adopting a "green lifestyle" -- Changing your lightbulbs and driving a Prius -- will do nothing but make electricity fractionally cheaper for some other consumer in some other sector of demand, or permit types of use that were once prohibitively costly.

This isn't, like, a fake made up what-if theoretical; there are actual contrmporary and historical case studies, and the argument isn't whether this is real, but how to evaluate the extent and magnitude of the rebound effect across the entire economy:

From the UK energy research center:

quote:

• It would be wrong to assume that, in the absence of evidence, rebound effects are so small that they can be disregarded. Under some circumstances (e.g. energy efficient technologies that significantly improve the productivity of energy intensive industries) economy-wide rebound effects may exceed 50% and could potentially increase energy consumption in the long-term. In other circumstances (e.g. energy efficiency improvements in consumer electronic goods) economy-wide rebound effects are likely to be smaller. But in no circumstances are they likely to be zero.
Their bottom line is that you're not going to lose all your efficiency gains, but, rebound is big enough that we need caps and taxes on carbon emissions.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 8, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Austerity isn't the solution. There's trillions of dollars of wealth being hoarded by the capitalist elite and corporations, which if taxed would be more than enough to start rebuilding the infrastructure of the US (and if the policy was expanded to other countries, the world). The massive jobs program that would result would be akin to WW2 spending getting the US out of the Great Depression (without the death and destruction), and allow for a drastic reduction in unemployment while providing well paying jobs--which would effectively end the ongoing economic crisis.

Austerity is a tool of the financial elite to protect their profits. Even the IMF admits it doesn't actually work.

That's not the point though. In a carbon-based economy, emissions caps themselves are a form of austerity; reducing emissions by 5% will reduce economic output by some percent (you can quibble about whether it's a similar 5% or some other number). Massive, emissions-producing transition programs needed to move away from a carbon-based economy can counter this effect only up to the point where they themselves run into the emissions cap. In the next election cycle, you get a bunch of candidates who say, "climate change is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, but these emissions reductions are just taking too much of a human toll and need to be lessened". And the voters will be presented with this tantalizing choice at every election cycle for a generation or two.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Papercut posted:

That's not the point though. In a carbon-based economy, emissions caps themselves are a form of austerity; reducing emissions by 5% will reduce economic output by some percent (you can quibble about whether it's a similar 5% or some other number). Massive, emissions-producing transition programs needed to move away from a carbon-based economy can counter this effect only up to the point where they themselves run into the emissions cap. In the next election cycle, you get a bunch of candidates who say, "climate change is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, but these emissions reductions are just taking too much of a human toll and need to be lessened". And the voters will be presented with this tantalizing choice at every election cycle for a generation or two.

For most people in North America and Europe, "carbon austerity" limiting economic outpout and growth as we measure it now isn't automatically a catastrophic proposition if it means a shift to more labor-intensive production, because you've got the potential to shrink the reserve army of the un- and underemployed

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

That rather long article by Klain that Uranium Pheonix posted before goes into some detail about a carbon-capped economy is threatening to the capitalist class because it redefines how we measure wealth and growth, and in so do doing, opens the door to class war and redistribution

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

For most people in North America and Europe, "carbon austerity" limiting economic outpout and growth as we measure it now isn't automatically a catastrophic proposition if it means a shift to more labor-intensive production, because you've got the potential to shrink the reserve army of the un- and underemployed

I've been wrestling with how we shift our economy and that sounds like a decent solution, although I think the point from scientists is that we need to make a hard shift soon, and ideally reach zero growth, which just seems completely antithetical to the current accepted economic dogma.

tatankatonk posted:

That rather long article by Klain that Uranium Pheonix posted before goes into some detail about a carbon-capped economy is threatening to the capitalist class because it redefines how we measure wealth and growth, and in so do doing, opens the door to class war and redistribution

Aaaand yeah, pretty much this. Great article, I can't help but agree. I imagine the easiest way to get these things through is by rebranding them so they don't seem so anti-capitalist but at the end of the day I'm not sure what else you can do about it. They need to happen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You're trying to measure regulations as a quantity, where "more" = "bad" and "less" = "good." That isn't how it works. "Regulations" can either be good or bad. The numerous regulations that were repealed that allowed the financial industry to crash the global economy were good regulations. Regulations that are targeted at destroying small businesses are bad regulations.

You've got your math all screwed up. Regulations = bad. No more, no less.

Because regulations Reduce Freedom.

And the Free Market is the Best Market.

And only Private Property Interests can save the world from climate change.

And Private Property Interests cannot be properly expressed in a market that is less than Completely Free.

So really, it's been Big Government Regulation destroying the climate this whole time.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Nevvy Z posted:

You've got your math all screwed up. Regulations = bad. No more, no less.

Because regulations Reduce Freedom.

And the Free Market is the Best Market.

And only Private Property Interests can save the world from climate change.

And Private Property Interests cannot be properly expressed in a market that is less than Completely Free.

So really, it's been Big Government Regulation destroying the climate this whole time.

You forgot to include the part about the loggers planting more trees, and the strip miners planting more um... coal.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shai Hulud posted:

Any suggestion that markets are capable of protecting the environment as well as, or better than, government should be tempered by the reality that a capitalist model (of which most sane people, including me, are supporters) will consume a given resource until factors intervene to make it inefficient to do so. The environment is a commons, and it's equally trite and true to trot out the phrase "tragedy of the commons" when explaining why policy is probably a necessary ingredient.

Even ceding that you are completely correct here, you face the problem of a policy solution being impossible. China and India (and probably Argentina, Brazil, etc.) are NOT going to agree to any climate compact that would lead to decarbonization any time remotely soon. And China is emitting CO2 at rates higher than the US and higher than the entire continent of Europe. China gives no fucks, and why should they? They have a few hundred million people still living in poverty. You really better hope there are technological solutions if you expect catastrophic warming due to CO2 emissions.

(But as I elucidated earlier, we have no signs in recent data that catastrophic warming is at all imminent, so its perhaps a moot point)

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Arkane posted:

Even ceding that you are completely correct here, you face the problem of a policy solution being impossible. China and India (and probably Argentina, Brazil, etc.) are NOT going to agree to any climate compact that would lead to decarbonization any time remotely soon. And China is emitting CO2 at rates higher than the US and higher than the entire continent of Europe. China gives no fucks, and why should they? They have a few hundred million people still living in poverty. You really better hope there are technological solutions if you expect catastrophic warming due to CO2 emissions.

This is why a lot of people believe catastrophic warming is inevitable. The political and economic hurdles are too great for us to cross to prevent it from happening.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Arkane posted:

(But as I elucidated earlier, we have no signs in recent data that catastrophic warming is at all imminent, so its perhaps a moot point)

There is what is fair to ask and that is 'taking responsibility for your emissions'. That includes stumping up and recognising how much benefit one has gained via past emissions, industrial revolution ala Britian etc.. James Hansen has some solid evidence/argument on this I saw in a lecture I just need to find it to link. So yeah China will be industrialising more and that happening to some extent is completely consistent with taking responsibility for your emissions. Because more responsibility lays on more industrialised nations already. China does give a fucks about pollution.

Ill treat your elucidated assertion as moot to the this discussion point.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Arkane posted:

As a sovereign state, OK, the USA is arguably in a similar position to an individual attempting to go green -- with huge caveats stemming from the fact that the USA is the most powerful and wealthy nation in the world and it and its allies are much more influential in terms of fashioning global policy than an individual householder in an American city -- and yes, China et. al may resist a climate compact for decades or more and eliminate any reductions made by the USA during that time with increased emissions.

In which case, the USA and its allies should pursue adaptation and decarbonization immediately, in pursuit of their own interests while energy is cheap and the getting is good, which also has that rhetorical advantage of demonstrating to China et. al. that we actually believe the problem is real, which is a powerful support to pushing the internationally policy solutions that are politically feasible in the meantime.

It also has the long term advantage of pioneering the technological, infrastructure, and institutional measures China and India et. al. will need to adapt to their own circumstances, when Bangladesh goes underwater and hundreds of millions of people are displaced, providing a tangible demonstration of the necessity of giving a gently caress.

quote:

Once again, no, that is misleading, don't do that, don't magic up long-term trends from 'recent' data

quote:

The fundamental point I will try and make here is that, given a noisy temperature record, many different statements can be true at the same time, but very few of them are informative about future trends. Thus vehemence of arguments about the past trends is in large part an unacknowledged proxy argument about the future.

So here are a few things that are all equally true, conveniently plotted for your amusement:

The linear trend in HadCRUT4 from August 1997 to August 2012 (181 months) is 0.03ºC/decade (blue) (In GISTEMP it is 0.08ºC/decade, not shown).
The trend from August 1975 to July 1997 is 0.16ºC/dec (green), and the trend to August 2012 is 0.17ºC/dec (red).
The ten years to August 2012 were warmer than the previous 10 years by 0.15ºC, which were warmer than the 10 years before that by 0.17ºC, which were warmer than the 10 years before that by 0.17ºC, and which were warmer than the 10 years before that by 0.17ºC (purple).
The continuation of the linear trend from August 1975 to July 1997 (green dashed), would have predicted a temperature anomaly in August 2012 of 0.524ºC. The actual temperature anomaly in August 2012 was 0.525ºC.

The first point might suggest to someone that the tendency of planet to warm as a function of increases in greenhouse gases has been interrupted. The second point might suggest that warming since 1997 has actually accelerated, the third point suggests that trends are quite stable, and the last point is actually quite astonishing, though fortuitous. Since all of these things (and many others) are equally true (in that their derivation from the underlying dataset is simply a mechanical application of standard routines), it is clear that our expectation for the future shouldn’t be simply based on an extrapolation of any one or two of them.

...if you think that future ‘global warming’ is tied to the underlying long term trend in surface temperatures, there is no evidence from HadCRUT4 to warrant changing expectations (and no physical reasons to either). However, if you think that the best estimate of the future comes from extrapolating the minimum trend that you can find over short time periods in single estimates of surface temperatures, then you are probably going to be wrong."

Just a reminder that the climate has already changed in practical, highly tangible ways in the last 20 years...

... and there is every reason to beleive it will continue to get warmer, and it means that disasters like the 1983, 1988, and 2012 droughts, and the 2012 early bloom/frost that killed off fruit crops throughout the midwest will most likely become increasingly frequent and more severe. That would be "catastrophic"

Paper Mac posted:

Here's a map showing NCAR's predictions for drought (using some fairly conservative assumptions re: emissions) in 2030-2040:

The Oklahoma dustbowl would have shown up as a change of -3 to -5 on that scale. Have a look at the Mississipi basin, and then the drought map.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 8, 2012

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

If you are interested in maintaining the global hegemony of the USA and its allies in northern Europe, global climate change is actually a huge opportunity, because it offers the chance to design in advance, and enact, the interstate economic and political institutions everyone is going to have to deal with.

It'd be like being Germany and France, who tend to get what they want from EU as compared to say, the UK, in no small part because they got there first and made the rules.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Also, as a socialist who would like to see the environmentalists and socialists link up in solidarity, I can say with good confidence that most environmentalists are not socialists, closet Marxists, or anything of that nature.

I couldn't respond to this earlier, but how so? Maybe not consciously; environmentalists I've known are often of the STEM mindset and don't have the background or experience in social sciences, politics, history, etc. And with a STEM education you don't get much policy context to what you learn, unless you take policy classes. But, to me, nearly every environmentalist I knew in college was prone to seeing how socialism fit with their ideas about the future. And more definitively, I think capitalism, consumerism excess, and the founding principle of constant growth were widely identified as the base problem with our environmental stewardship. So I definitely think that these kind of people would be, if not already, open to more central planning. I suppose they would not be very conscious of class struggle or social issues, which is something I have noticed. That comes with the education though, and as long as the costs of our new environmentalist economic paradigm are bore by the transgressing parties, or just plain ol rich people, socialism and environmentalism could be in harmony. Is this what you mean by environmentalists not being socialist?

Thank you for the good posts in this thread, everyone. I liked Cyclopean Horror's, and Arkane had some funny jokes too.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

I couldn't respond to this earlier, but how so? Maybe not consciously; environmentalists I've known are often of the STEM mindset and don't have the background or experience in social sciences, politics, history, etc. And with a STEM education you don't get much policy context to what you learn, unless you take policy classes. But, to me, nearly every environmentalist I knew in college was prone to seeing how socialism fit with their ideas about the future. And more definitively, I think capitalism, consumerism excess, and the founding principle of constant growth were widely identified as the base problem with our environmental stewardship. So I definitely think that these kind of people would be, if not already, open to more central planning. I suppose they would not be very conscious of class struggle or social issues, which is something I have noticed. That comes with the education though, and as long as the costs of our new environmentalist economic paradigm are bore by the transgressing parties, or just plain ol rich people, socialism and environmentalism could be in harmony. Is this what you mean by environmentalists not being socialist?

Thank you for the good posts in this thread, everyone. I liked Cyclopean Horror's, and Arkane had some funny jokes too.
tldr: a rock cimber sees one piece of crude graffiti in Joshua Tree National Park and goes on a racist tirade about "urban youth" and "ghettofication" and "irreversible damage to the rock and environment" before hopping out of her SUV, walking down the climbers' social path, spotting her route via the trail of shoe-rubber smears, chaliking up, and ascending a bolted route to bolted rap chains.

There is a big intellectual trend in US-American environmentalism that is preservationist. This school of thought sees a dichotomy between "civilization" and "nature" and aims to preserve natural and wilderness spaces as sacred locations for transcendent appreciation of beauty, and for recreation. For this school of thought, places like Yosemite are like temples, and the human development in the valley is at best a necessary evil, at worst, a desecration. Muir:

quote:

A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease. Every hidden cell is throbbing with music and life, every fiber thrilling like harp strings, while incense is ever flowing from the balsam bells and leaves. No wonder the hills and groves were God's first temples, and the more they are cut down and hewn into cathedrals and churches, the farther off and dimmer seems the Lord himself.
Pop quiz: What is the name of the indigenous peoples of Yosemite and their chief during the era of Anglo settlement, where did they go, and what geographical features are named for them now?

The question that environmentalists in this vein are trying to answer doesn't hinge on democratic control of the social product or democratic control of the means of production, it hangs on the exclusion of certain kinds of people, use, and activities from percieved wilderness areas. To borrow a conservative talking point, and set up a bit of a strawman, preservationists care about saving the snowy owl: they do not necessarily care about what happens to the loggers who are immiserated and whose communities are dispersed.

This brand of environmentalism can be classist, nativist, and white supremacist. Here is an example cited by Park and Pellow from their book The Slums of Aspen, which is more or less the defining case of rich white people environmentalism that actually constitutes class war waged against the poor and immigrants. From Aspen's "sustainable growth" resolution:

quote:

WHEREAS: The population of the United States reached about 274 million in 1999 and is growing by approximately three million each year, over 57,000 weekly, the highest population growth rate of the developed countries of the world. Most European countries are at zero or negative population growth.

WHEREAS: The population of the U.S .is six percent of the world's population, consuming up to 25 percent of the world's natural resources.

WHEREAS: The ability of the United States to support a population within its carrying capacity is now strained because of population growth. Fifty percent of our original wetlands have been drained to accommodate growth. Ninety-five percent of all U.S. old growth forests have been destroyed. It is estimated that we have consumed approximately three-fourths of all our recoverable petroleum, and we now import more than half of the oil we consume in the United States. America's underground aquifers are being drawn down 23 percent more than their natural rates of recharge.

WHEREAS: For each person added to the U.S. population, about one acre of open land is lost, causing a total yearly loss of about three million acres. America annually exports $40 Billion in food. If present population trends continue, the U.S. will cease to be a food exporter by about 2030.

WHEREAS: The report of the Task Force on Population and Consumption of the President's Council on Sustainable Development (1996) said: "The two most important steps toward sustainability are:
1. to stabilize the population promptly, and
2. to move toward greater material and energy efficiency in all production and use of goods and service." The President's Council said, "...reducing immigration levels is a necessary part of population stabilization and the drive toward sustainability."

WHEREAS: Population growth generated by mass immigration to the United States causes increasing pressures on our environment and forces local governments and communities to spend taxpayers dollars for additional schools, health care facilities, water disposal plants, transportation systems, fire protection, water supplies, power generation plants and many other social and environmental costs.

WHEREAS: 70 percent of U.S. population growth in the 1990's resulted from mass immigration, comprised of approximately 1.2 million legal immigrants and 300,000 to 400,000 illegal immigrants plus their U.S.- born offspring, annually. If mass immigration continues, the population of the United States is projected to exceed half-a-billion by 2050.

WHEREAS: Population growth is unsustainable. With a return to replacement levels of immigration, U.S. population can expect to stabilize in another 40 to 50 years. A temporary, all-inclusive five-year immigration reduction to 100,000 annually, followed by a return to 200,000 annually, will eventually allow the U.S. to stabilize its population, at best at about 325 million, and

WHEREAS: A majority of Americans of all ethnic and racial backgrounds favors substantial reduction in legal immigration and a complete halt to illegal immigration, and

WHEREAS: The people of the United States and the City of Aspen, Colorado, envision a country with a stable population, material and energy efficiency, a sustainable future, a healthy environment, clean air and water, ample open space, wilderness, abundant wildlife and social and civic cohesion in which the dignity of human life is enhanced and protected.

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: That the City of Aspen hereby petitions the Congress of the United States and the President to immediately implement with deliberate speed and by means consistent with the Constitution of the United States, the consensus of the American People and the President's Council-legislation appropriate to stabilize the population of the United States and insure sustainability:

(1) that will encourage and promote all opportunities toward establishing and maintaining material and energy efficiency, social and environmental responsibility;

(2) by a return to traditional replacement levels of legal immigration, approximately 175,000, all-inclusive per year, annually; by

(3) requiring equitable wages and benefits for workers and community environmental protections to be part of all free trade agreements; and

(4) by mandated enforcement of our immigration laws against illegal immigration, thereby promoting the future well being of all the citizens of this Nation and the City of Aspen.

To preservationists, too many of the wrong kinds of people are the problem. To them, the USA is full.

This bloc of Aspen environmentalists complained, at length, about the environmental impact of migrant workers (their servants) who were reduced to sleeping in caves. Because they were littering. Putting garbage and old matsses. Their beds, where they slept. In the caves where they lived.

These people have proposed HOV initiatives, stringent vehicle emissions and registration enforcement, and parking congestion reduction plans to mitigate the air quality and traffic impacts of (their servants) driving 30 to 100 miles everyday to go to work. Driving in their old, unsitly, noisy, poorly tuned cars. To labor in the environmentalists' 10,000 square foot mountain chalets with heated driveways.

In short, for many US-American environmentalists, conservation is about protecting a pure and transcendent Nature from the depradations of (the wrong kind of) Man. Nature as an end in itself. This is not a socialist environmentalism, which can involve preservationism but would more involve human beings adapting their environment to human needs, and about adapting human needs to the limitations of the ecosystems in which they live.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 8, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I can't disagree with that; this was college, of course, so I'm talking about a lot of white well-off people. It's bizarre to advocate for local sustainability without thinking of the situation outside of that locality. Science of the environment is very focused on systems thinking, so personally, such a shortsighted view is not very scientifically sound.

I do see your point, though, and thank you for that disheartening passage. Is class struggle really unaddressable by environmentalism, any more than it is unaddressable by any non-large scale upheaval in our systemic social justice? I know white privilege and wealth perniciously color the perceptions of all these college educated people, but I still don't know if this advocation for the white elite is inextricably linked to getting any environmental reforms done. I have a science background like I said, and I would have a bigger problem with the construction and maintenance of those affluent Aspen house than something like littering. I would oppose harmful petroleum pipelines or drilling before I would oppose restricting resale of low-cost but higher emissions cars. So maybe in practice and due to the top-end guidance, there is a class blindness inherent to (american) environmentalism, but at the level I was at (college educated, but a state school so not the highest level of eliteness, I would argue) I saw science-minded people that, while I admit class justice was not a primary worry of theirs, had a basic opposition to outrageous wealth and concentrated depletion of resources anywhere, so I would imagine that sort of person would support, within their government or environmental organization, ideas that are not so outright classist and one-sided. I don't know about the Sierra Club or how environmental lobbies work. If I lived in a western state I would probably know more about that stuff.

tl;dr, I see that environmentalism can be too conservative when you look at the measures that would be needed to truly increase social equity, much less socialist reforms. I think that young environmentalists should not be written off like that original post did though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

tatankatonk posted:

In short, for many US-American environmentalists, conservation is about protecting a pure and transcendent Nature from the depradations of (the wrong kind of) Man. Nature as an end in itself. This is not a socialist environmentalism, which can involve preservationism but would more involve human beings adapting their environment to human needs, and about adapting human needs to the limitations of the ecosystems in which they live.

Certain environmentalists being ignorant or callous about the reality of class distinctions and privilege is one thing, but "Nature as an end in itself", is this a bad thing? We do not have a good track record over the last 12000 years, its been an ever accelerating loss of biodiversity that's not improving, read Zorak's thread on non-human rights and I think it shows that the creatures under the worst pressure are very close to humans in terms of intelligence and social complexity. Do we have the moral right to consign these animals barely a step below us to the scrapheap if they may get in the way of our prosperity? Does that make me another Aspen environmentalist if I think that preserving them takes precedence over most other concerns?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Certain environmentalists being ignorant or callous about the reality of class distinctions and privilege is one thing, but "Nature as an end in itself", is this a bad thing? We do not have a good track record over the last 12000 years, its been an ever accelerating loss of biodiversity that's not improving, read Zorak's thread on non-human rights and I think it shows that the creatures under the worst pressure are very close to humans in terms of intelligence and social complexity. Do we have the moral right to consign these animals barely a step below us to the scrapheap if they may get in the way of our prosperity? Does that make me another Aspen environmentalist if I think that preserving them takes precedence over most other concerns?
I mean at this point the continued existence of cetaceans and an anthropocentric human needs based enivronmentalism don't conflict, because, right now we're looking at trying to stave off rapid ocean acidification and marine ecosystem collapse.

Greater apes, elephants, and cetaceans are probably sapient. We shouldn't be killing these creatures on an industrial scale. I have no problem saying that. But I have nothing at stake in that question, it's not my prosperity that's on the line from ivory poaching or logging off gorilla habitat or what have you. Probably if we're going to be telling X or Y group of people to stop logging off gorilla habitat we should be ready with proposals of an alternate livelihood.

At any rate, I think the question is moot. Broadly speaking, an animalcentric environmentalism that takes the long view isn't going to confict too much with a socialist environmentalism because, well, the things we need to do to keep wolves alive or whatever mostly overlap with the things we need to do to keep the majority of people of 2090 alive. Viewed in terms of AGW, it's cruicial to think of humans as habitat dependent animals as well.

There's a guy who I talk to who has a strong third-worldist pragmatic position on conservation, who gets real quiet every now and then because specific instances of habitat destruction and poaching is one thing, but, the implications of AGW for ecosystems worldwide broadly means all the complex nonhuman near-sapient mammals everywhere are probably gonna go extinct. And it makes him sad that all the whales and tigers are gonna be dead.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 8, 2012

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I was just talking from my anecdotal experience with environmentalists. Mostly, they vote Democrat and yammer about solar and wind while shaking their head about how bad Republicans are, and haven't received socialist ideas too well when I've presented them. That's my experience.

I think that good exposure to socialist ideas framed in the right way should indeed convince them, since capitalism is the root of consumer excess and the political and economic policies that have gotten us into this mess. I think socialists and environmentalists should be in harmony since the two ideas mesh extremely well with no contradictions.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I think that good exposure to socialist ideas framed in the right way should indeed convince them, since capitalism is the root of consumer excess and the political and economic policies that have gotten us into this mess. I think socialists and environmentalists should be in harmony since the two ideas mesh extremely well with no contradictions.

Yeah, this is what I'm saying. Easier said than done, but I just wanted to be clear that, at least in principle, an environmentalist should be able to see the merit of socialist ways of thinking (and in my experience they have, although the further steps of activism and embracing these ideas are less likely, owing to human laziness and enjoyment of their privilege).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tatankatonk posted:

specific instances of habitat destruction and poaching is one thing, but, the implications of AGW for ecosystems worldwide broadly means all the complex nonhuman near-sapient mammals everywhere are probably gonna go extinct. And it makes him sad that all the whales and tigers are gonna be dead.
This makes me sad. gently caress :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

tatankatonk posted:

Agreed, but the issue is the feasibility of such a transition given the available time frame. My belief is not that the transition itself is an impossibility, it's that we are attempting to make the transition several generations too late.

tatankatonk posted:

This is a great article that really outlines the steps needed to address the problem. But it also illustrates what a massive obstacle American democracy will be to taking those steps. Look at how easily OWS was marginalized by the corporate/political/media class, and that was addressing a much simpler problem with more easily quantifiable effects on the average person. I just don't see how you get consensus on climate change in an environment as easily muddled as the American political system.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

tatankatonk posted:

There's a guy who I talk to who has a strong third-worldist pragmatic position on conservation, who gets real quiet every now and then because specific instances of habitat destruction and poaching is one thing, but, the implications of AGW for ecosystems worldwide broadly means all the complex nonhuman near-sapient mammals everywhere are probably gonna go extinct. And it makes him sad that all the whales and tigers are gonna be dead.

One of my friends who worked for the WWF felt this way - but what really seemed to get him down, was the thought that future generations won't care that Tigers, Whales or other large animals are extinct - because they were extinct before these future generations were born.

It's like us and the Haast Eagle, or the Dodo Bird, or the myriad of other species that have gone extinct before we even knew them.

(That being said - an eagle that could prey on children / small adults would be a sight to behold...)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium Phoenix posted:

The government can't even spend the money it has efficiently. Why should I expect that if they confiscate most of the private wealth in the nation from people in a certain tax bracket that it will go to anything useful?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

-Troika- posted:

The government can't even spend the money it has efficiently.

Do you have any examples for that? The NOAA and NASA have some pretty impressive accomplishments under their belt. "The government never does anything right" is a strawman.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Guigui posted:

One of my friends who worked for the WWF felt this way - but what really seemed to get him down, was the thought that future generations won't care that Tigers, Whales or other large animals are extinct - because they were extinct before these future generations were born.

It's like us and the Haast Eagle, or the Dodo Bird, or the myriad of other species that have gone extinct before we even knew them.

(That being said - an eagle that could prey on children / small adults would be a sight to behold...)

You know, this actually something that really sticks in my craw more than anything else. People, especially now, have a tendency to view the natural world as separate from the human experience, which is so far from the truth, a vast amount of human culture is evidently based on our views of nature, this is glaringly obvious to anyone whose ever seen something as simple as a child pretend to be a tiger or a bird. And what I find fascinating and kind of disturbing is looking at how people used to view long-dead creatures, have a look at these paintings:

Just look, these are clearly not dusty skeletons of woolly Rhino's, Mammoths and Giant Elk were assembled in a museum, to the painters of these images they were real, alive and involved in almost every aspect of their lives. They had massive significance culturally and practically, human paintings from this era are exceptionally rare, but animal ones are all over the drat place.

My point I suppose is that looking at these really makes me sad about the idea that something that once seemed so commonplace and as indispensable as cows in the Irish countryside are now totally lost to me and everyone else alive today. What I wouldn't give to see a actual giant ground sloth I can tell you. To think that the same fate would come to pass on animals as familiar as a bottlenose dolphin, or a tiger, or a Gorilla, just another pile of old bones in a museum, depresses me to no end. Its a cliche, but every animal we lose is a hit on our whole culture as well as our environment IMO.

This is also one of the reasons why I get very irritated when I sometimes hear the suggestion that Environmentalism concerns chiefly privileged white people in the west. If you go to just about any country on earth you can see that that is bull, look at India, a very highly populated, poor country with some serious environmental issues, but a culture so intimately linked to such a vast amount of specific animals that conserving creatures like Rhinos and Tigers has major pull there.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 9, 2012

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

-Troika- posted:

The government can't even spend the money it has efficiently. Why should I expect that if they confiscate most of the private wealth in the nation from people in a certain tax bracket that it will go to anything useful?

The trick is to get a government that does good things with money (such as rebuilding the US infrastructure to be carbon neutral, universal healthcare) and not bad things (awful wars, bank handouts, oil subsidies, etc.). How you accomplish that is up for debate. I'd rather do it through reform, but revolution seems more likely.

Government, like regulation, is a tool. It isn't inherently bad or good. However, if you're implying that somehow rich people and corporations hoarding trillions of dollars and raking in the majority of wealth each year are suddenly going to create a carbon neutral economy, I would be fascinated to hear how you think that's going to happen.

Also, seconding that the "government is inefficient" thing is a myth. For example, medicare vs. private insurance. Also, I have never seen evidence that private companies or "free markets" are able to successfully regulate their own damages to the environment, so if you have some evidence of that feel free to cite it.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 9, 2012

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 607 days!

Goreld posted:

Do you have any examples for that? The NOAA and NASA have some pretty impressive accomplishments under their belt. "The government never does anything right" is a strawman.

NOAA and NASA do some amazing work and deserve alot more funding, that much is certain.

But to act as if there are no examples of tragic government waste is just foolish.

Lets start with the best and most tragically ironic example of the GSA: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/1/gsa-scandal-widens-dozens-conferences-investigated/?page=all

quote:

The first serious signs of trouble in the agency came to light earlier this year when the GSA became embroiled in a controversy over a more than $800,000 Las Vegas conference featuring clowns, a mind reader and a red-carpet party.

Then we can delve into Solyndra: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-18/news/ct-met-kass-0918-20110918_1_solyndra-loan-guarantee-obama-fundraisers-obama-white-house

These are just recent examples, the list of wasteful government spending is as long as it is wide.

How about the roughly 3 trillion dollar war in Iraq?

The government pisses away more money than I do booze.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The private market is far more wasteful. It doesn't take much time to look at the amount of wealth destruction that companies engage in through mismanagement and error. People should be outraged about it, because that wealth could generate value for society but instead it is destroyed in things and processes that will never produce any social good. The only reason this is not outrageous is because people believe, mistakenly, that each person has the right to waste things that are "theirs," and furthermore believe that corporations should be held to the same low standards as individuals.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Ah, where to begin. I guess I'll start with the main thrusts of your 'rebuttal.' Well, I've gone through and gotten a B.A. in Political Science, so I'm just going to ignore most of your refresher. Curiously, I even did a paper on Power, Wealth, and Democratic Governance for my capstone! Now, it's been a little while since I graduated, but I'll draw from that.

I'd like to point out that the founders of our nation also instituted the 3/5ths compromise. You know, one of them slavery things. One of the reasons I mentioned it, because inevitably, libertarian theology falls back upon the sacred founders - many of whom owned slaves.

Yet, despite my supposed ignorance, you agree somewhat. You do agree that Capitalism and Democracy are opposed to one another, but not how I get there, which I'll get to in a moment.

For the sake of modern terminology, republics are generally called democracies. If you want to be really weird about it, you could go back to Athens' lottery system, I suppose, but we don't do that sorta thing here in the U.S.A. Go look it up on Wikipedia or something if you want to be pedantic about it.

Anyway, on to the meat - you claim that Capitalism does not concentrate economic power. What, friend, is a monopoly? Monopolies are inherent to market economies, and they are concentrations of economic power. You probably subscribe to the notion that monopolies arise from government interference, but you are quite wrong. You should know what a natural monopoly is, since it's another Austrian rejection of reality. Consider something simple, say public radio. Radio stations broadcast at certain frequencies. These frequencies are picked up by radio receivers. What would happen if a competitor were to operate on the same frequency? Depending on the distance, there could be no affect or it could result in unintelligible garbage. There would be no product for two neighboring stations operating on the same frequency, as they would be mutually destructive. Thus, each frequency is a natural monopoly for a particular station in a particular area. There are more nuanced explanations, but this is one my tired mind can come up with.

You agree that democracy distributes political power, yet you see that as a bad thing? Sir, you are in opposition to people who share your libertarian beliefs. Your cited example is well-recognized first-past-the-post issues. Well, that's how states have exercised their discretion in structuring elections. Nebraska, for example, will split its vote. Yet, it and Maine are alone amongst their fellows in attempting to curtail that problem. Finally, you continue to use antiquated terminology - or perhaps you're just wrong. It's hard to tell when people insist on uncommon definitions.

Next, you blame the fiat monetary policy for wealth concentration rather than the inherent structure of Capitalism. As I've shown natural monopolies really do exist, you should now be able to see how this works.

You agree that concentration of wealth causes increasing disparity of wealth, but claim that market economies do not. Solt {Solt, Frederick. 2008. "Economic Inequality and Democratic Political Engagement." American Journal of Political Science 52(Jan): 48-60.} shows that education level is the only variable which surpasses the distribution of wealth variable in its influence on political engagement. That is to say, the wealthier you are, the more likely you are to participate in the political process, with the caveat of education being more strongly associated with participation. As certain people have said once upon a time, those who have the power make the rules - and those in power beholden to those who choose them will reflect their constituents' desires, theoretically speaking. So, it's not JUST the economic system, but also the political system.

Then, you reject the idea that increasing disparity of wealth is associated with decreasing economic governance. This, specifically, is in that very paper I sourced. I'll save you the time, assuming you bother reading this. Refer to my previous post if you want the source again. The evidence from Houle supports a strong relationship between economic inequality and democratic collapse. There is, of course, also the finding that autocracies with greater economic inequality are more likely to democratize, though the relationship itself is weak.Democratic collapse in existing democracies is rare, unusual, and often devastating. The more common failure of democratic consolidation, where a relatively new democracy backtracks partially or completely to an autocratic government, is a relatively frequent occurrence with somewhat less severe consequences. However, the implication of this relationship is that economic inequality is a threat to all democracies: an unequal distribution of wealth is associated with the collapse of a democratic government.

Finally, you move onto speculation and the implicit rejection of my conclusion, which I'm just going to roll my eyes at. I asked you to read a couple of things, and instead got garbage. I don't really feel like wasting more time on econ in the climate thread than this post.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 607 days!

MotoMind posted:

The private market is far more wasteful. It doesn't take much time to look at the amount of wealth destruction that companies engage in through mismanagement and error. People should be outraged about it, because that wealth could generate value for society but instead it is destroyed in things and processes that will never produce any social good. The only reason this is not outrageous is because people believe, mistakenly, that each person has the right to waste things that are "theirs," and furthermore believe that corporations should be held to the same low standards as individuals.

Oh knock it the gently caress off with "the private market" the government is filled with the exact same laissez faire dick sucking assholes you find in the most cut throat corporation.

Our elected officials get the majority of their money from the people who run Veridian Dynamics, and they act accordingly.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Actually I believe you will find that the opposite is the case, that the US government runs and has run thousands of highly efficient and successful programs, many of which were undertaken because private industry is largely incapable of planning and executing public works projects without central planning and support. At any rate if the US government seized the assets of the wealthy and used it to build a mountain sized concrete monument to Stalin in the Arizona desert it would be a more productive use of the wealth than having it sit in a proverbial vault in Liechtenstein.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Pobama posted:

Oh knock it the gently caress off with "the private market" the government is filled with the exact same laissez faire dick sucking assholes you find in the most cut throat corporation.

Of course, it's called the revolving door for a reason. It's not about picking the right person, the issues are systemic. Radical reform is the only answer to problems like AGW, resource overconsumption, etc

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shai Hulud posted:

This. I work in the world of defense, and the DoD regularly holds up China as an example of a country that aligns policy to reality. They're building gigawatts of generation because they have the benefit of short-circuiting the carbon economy.

Just want to say that Chinese system is a disaster for the environment, whether or not they have one or two impressive flagship policies. I would be shocked if the extralegal coal industry alone in this country didn't dwarf all next-generation electricity projects in scale.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Arglebargle III posted:

Just want to say that Chinese system is a disaster for the environment, whether or not they have one or two impressive flagship policies. I would be shocked if the extralegal coal industry alone in this country didn't dwarf all next-generation electricity projects in scale.

Is this in Shaanxi? Can you recommend any reading on this? I assume this is something the government turns a blind eye to, I can't imagine it being particularly easy to hide a coal extraction operation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here you go buddy.

It's not that coal plants are sneaky, it's that they're profitable and well-connected. It's all graft. They used to have the excuse that the government at the top just couldn't control all this corruption but in recent years it's become clear that the rot goes all the way to the top. The NYT just got blocked over here because it reported on Part Secretary Wen's accumulation of $2.7 billion during his ten years in office.

From the WSJ article: "One fifth of the power plants in China are illegal, according to government estimates..."

From Wikipedia: "unregulated mining operations ... account for almost 80 percent of the country's 16,000 mines."

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclopean Horror
Mar 31, 2009

There are very good reasons why Solyndra failed, none of which could be predicted by the Obama administration. Solyndra was developing alternatives to silicon photovoltaic cells, and prior to 2008, silicon cells were prohibitively expensive in the United States. These alternative cells were designed to magnify light onto a smaller silicon crystal so that the entire surface of the solar collector didn't need to be made of expensive silicon crystals. The effect of the financial crisis gutting demand for new solar installations, along with extensive dumping by Chinese silicon solar cell manufacturing companies around the same time made Solyndra's technology expensive and ultimately pointless. If you doubt me, look up the recent trade cases brought before the World Trade Organization regarding Chinese solar cell dumping. The WTO recently granted the United States the legal right to impose countervailing and anti-dumping duties on silicon photovoltaic cells from China.

• Locked thread