Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mulligan posted:

So, would a Infamous tune help? My main issue is the gas situation, no one can safely guarantee that our 95 RON is in fact 95 RON and not some sort of half truth. Also this is a remote tune by the best Legacy GT tuner in the US.

Given you just said 95RON, you aint in the USA I suspect. 98RON is the minimum to use and you will be fine. 95RON is pissweak and just asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

Given you just said 95RON, you aint in the USA I suspect. 98RON is the minimum to use and you will be fine. 95RON is pissweak and just asking for trouble.

I believe he said he was in the dominican republic which he said had fuel quality issues.
I would be curious was tune you have on the thing.
That said, due to the lack of dyno tuners in the dr, I'd say yeah, get a road tune by someone reputable based on your fuel, which it sounds like might be worse than even CA gas.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So in other news, the last mechanic to change my clutch out neglected to seat the axles properly and left out 3 or 4 transmission bolts to the engine.

Gonna cost me $9200 in repairs and Subaru wont even have a new transmission for me until the end of December.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uh, what's going on? If it's not under warranty find a different shop and get a used transmission off ebay.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Have you talked to the shop that ruined your car about that?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

So in other news, the last mechanic to change my clutch out neglected to seat the axles properly and left out 3 or 4 transmission bolts to the engine.

Gonna cost me $9200 in repairs and Subaru wont even have a new transmission for me until the end of December.

I would be absolutely furious if it that happened to me. That's really dangerous. Have you thought about talking to the shop that put that clutch in? Something like that is possible grounds for legal action.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

I think you mean it's going to cost the last mechanic $9200 in repairs... right?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Faerunner posted:

I think you mean it's going to cost the last mechanic $9200 in repairs... right?

No loving poo poo! I would imagine the shop owner would be tripping over himself to fix that mess.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

burtonos posted:

No loving poo poo! I would imagine the shop owner would be tripping over himself to fix that mess.

And if he's not he will be when you get a lawyer.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The guy who did the work denies any wrong doing. And yes he is hearing from my lawyer since he refuses to work with me. I have also filed complaints with the Florida Department of Consumer Affairs and the local Better Business Bureau.

It may be buffalo biscuits but the dealership says there are no new Spec.b transmissions in the U.S. and one must be built for me in Japan lol.

The tranny itself is only around $6.5k new. The rest is for axles, clutch kit, all the missing bolts, supplies and labor.

I've been trying really, really hard not to flip my poo poo over this. Xanax helps.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

So is this an Sti 6-speed? Why do you need a new one? I don't see how an unseated axle or a missing bolt would irreparably damage a transmission.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

It's a 6 speed similar to the sti but not the same. You think the dealership is going to put in used or rebuilt stuff from elsewhere? I went to them for a reason. I want it fixed right with all new parts the way it was before it broke.

e: I don't want to go into too much details right now. I needed to vent I suppose.

Majere fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 9, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

It's a 6 speed similar to the sti but not the same.

I thought it was closer to the 5speed in design than the STi 6speed. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

I thought it was closer to the 5speed in design than the STi 6speed. :v:
Only in the 2010+ I think. The early Spec B 6-speed is an STI box minus DCCD and some tinkering with the ratios/diffs.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For that price couldn't you swap in a complete STi setup (tranny, diffs, axles)?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
But it would be used and on his dime. A shop hosed up, they cover the damages.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Gearset and case etc is the same between the spec b and sti. No dccd, no front LSD though. It's the same transmission as some JDM stis.

I just don't understand what part of the transmission could be broken that warrants a brand new replacement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Gearset and case etc is the same between the spec b and sti. No dccd, no front LSD though. It's the same transmission as some JDM stis.

I just don't understand what part of the transmission could be broken that warrants a brand new replacement.

I almost wonder if his lawyer is telling him to use a dealer. There are reasons you'd want to do that. As much as an independent shop might be cheaper and better, when it comes to testifying in court, a dealer mechanic is just going to come off better (because of all the BS official trainings, etc).
They won't use used parts though.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Probably has something to do with having no oil in it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

I suppose that could cause a problem...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that might do it.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry for ruining the thread!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

How come there's only 4lugs on that wheel?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
WRC cars use 4 lug hubs.

edit: as to why exactly, I assume because its easier to take off 4 lugs than 5.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 10, 2012

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.
I've got a 2003 Subaru Impreza with 115k and my fifth gear is starting to grind occasionally. Should I be concerned or is that inevitable and will it need a new transmission soon?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Gravity Works posted:

I've got a 2003 Subaru Impreza with 115k and my fifth gear is starting to grind occasionally. Should I be concerned or is that inevitable and will it need a new transmission soon?

When was the last time you changed out the transmission oil?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Roman Rambo posted:

WRC cars use 4 lug hubs.

edit: as to why exactly, I assume because its easier to take off 4 lugs than 5.

Unsprung weight reduction.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cat Terrist posted:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

I keep looking at this picture and I can't stop thinking 'that can't be real'

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm sprung.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

dyne posted:

I keep looking at this picture and I can't stop thinking 'that can't be real'

The size of the wheel and the size of the car don't seem to mesh, and it doesn't look like a trick of perspective since they are so close. It looks subtly wrong to me as well, and I think that is why.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
The frame of the car is also sitting on the ground, which amounts to a pretty substantial drop. That combined with the forced perspective of the tire being closer to the camera makes the picture seem a bit off.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's what happens when you drift over a lightsaber

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
I'm going to have to cut some bolts to get my suspension replaced, and I've been able to track down all of the replacements I'll need, save two:
I can't find the part numbers for these last guys.

This is the front shock, and the top nut/bolt is listed on opposedforces, but not the bottom.

This is the back shock, and the nut part # isn't listed.

Any ideas? It's an 03 Legacy L wagon, and I'd love to know a better/different place to look up part numbers, if nothing else. I like opposedforces, but I've run into this problem before with their diagrams, and subarugenuineparts's are worse, part number-wise.

The Jabberwocky fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 11, 2012

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
How terrible of a mistake would I be making if I looked at a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (05 WRX Wagon)?
I am putting a ton of miles on my 135i and I would love something AWD/Wagon. There is a 05/5spd/110k for $10,500 and considering the closest 05 WRX I can find is $16k... Anything on the 05's I should really watch out for? Avoid at all risks?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Jabberwocky posted:

I'm going to have to cut some bolts to get my suspension replaced, and I've been able to track down all of the replacements I'll need, save two:
I can't find the part numbers for these last guys.

This is the front shock, and the top nut/bolt is listed on opposedforces, but not the bottom.

This is the back shock, and the nut part # isn't listed.

Any ideas? It's an 03 Legacy L wagon, and I'd love to know a better/different place to look up part numbers, if nothing else. I like opposedforces, but I've run into this problem before with their diagrams, and subarugenuineparts's are worse, part number-wise.

The front bottom one on both my Imprezas is a camber bolt, not a regular bolt like the top one.

They are bastards for rusting but replacements are generic and cheap.

Check subaru parts 4 you's diagrams.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

the spyder posted:

How terrible of a mistake would I be making if I looked at a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (05 WRX Wagon)?
I am putting a ton of miles on my 135i and I would love something AWD/Wagon. There is a 05/5spd/110k for $10,500 and considering the closest 05 WRX I can find is $16k... Anything on the 05's I should really watch out for? Avoid at all risks?

No, the 05's are still the 2.0l so you don't even chance the piston issues. Just make sure the timing belt was changed (very recently) and keep oil in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oil starvation is indeed the biggest deal with the 2Ls (check frequently especially now that the cars are aging). The 2.5Ls don't like it either but they appear to have a slightly better oil pan design.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's the parts cost on the timing belt/WP/tensioner/idlers? I am sadly very aware of the oil starvation issue. A friend had a 05 and lost hist bearings at a track day due to low oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

the spyder posted:

What's the parts cost on the timing belt/WP/tensioner/idlers? I am sadly very aware of the oil starvation issue. A friend had a 05 and lost hist bearings at a track day due to low oil.

260 for a Gates kit with water pump from rock auto. 300 for the "high performance" gates, whatever that means. That is parts only. Probably a couple hundred for dealer labor.