Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Somebody help me figure out what to offer this guy so I can finish my godforsaken bike.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3392027387.html

E: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3325797627.html This one seems possibly better. Sent him an email too.

Offered him $500, saw him tonight, got the bike. What an awesome guy. More to come later.

Dzus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3394067228.html

Looks like it's in amazing shape, anything I ought to look out for? I think I'll email him about taking a look, it's a 40 minute drive but could be worth the trip.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I'm fighting a terrible urge to buy another bike. I want a 6xxcc sport bike. Tell me I'm dumb and should stop looking at used 636's and Daytona 675's please. Also I should not sell my S2000 and buy a truck so I can spend more money on bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pham,

That seems like it could be a good option. Show up with $1000 cash and bargain him down ;)

BlackLaser, what do you want a 6xxCC sportbike for? Anything but track use, I'd pick a different bike. For track use, yes, any of them are great, and sell your S2000, buy a cheap truck, and burn your money on endless trackdays.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Z3n posted:

BlackLaser, what do you want a 6xxCC sportbike for? Anything but track use, I'd pick a different bike. For track use, yes, any of them are great, and sell your S2000, buy a cheap truck, and burn your money on endless trackdays.

As a plaything. I kind of want something I have to rev the nuts off of. I liked that about the Ninja 250, but the payoff of winding it out sucked. I'm not going to commute on it or anything. Maybe some trackdays down the road if I enjoy it. If not I'll sell it. I should probably look at cheaper 600cc bikes instead. CBR's seem reasonable.

I'm not getting rid of the 919, it's a great all purpose bike. Tempted to just dump the CB550, I don't think I have it in me to repair all that is wrong with it.

With the profit from my car I could probably walk away with a decent used truck paid for and lose the payments. I just get no excitement from my car after I started riding. I only use it to commute. 40 miles daily in gridlock with a 6 speed manual and little torque is not fun. Any drive I go on would be twice the fun on a bike at anything near legal speeds. Also I would like to be able to purchase large items in stores again. :qq: My s2000 is boring after 3 years.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Looks like it's in amazing shape, anything I ought to look out for? I think I'll email him about taking a look, it's a 40 minute drive but could be worth the trip.

That looks awesome! If you don't get it, I might. If you check it out and decide against it, do you mind PMing me why?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
BlackLaser - Yeah, a 600 as a play bike can be a lot of fun. The only issue is really that after you get solidly comfortable on the bike, it's childs play to blow past 100mph on every ride without a second thought, and the bike isn't even sweating yet at that speed. That sort of easy speed is addictive but really dangerous to your safety and your license. The you get into trackdays which are only really dangerous to your wallet, and you're back down the rabbit hole of comparing everything you could buy to tires or trackdays. I say, go for it. Find something on the cheaper side, because if you take it to the track you want something that you can comfortably crash without it being the end of the world.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Would a SuperHawk be a great upgrade from a SV650, for my gf? As in is it a reliable, low-maintenance bike?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcd/3394531844.html

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 8, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Would a SuperHawk be a great upgrade from a SV650, for my gf? As in is it a reliable, low-maintenance bike?

Don't see why not, they're quite good bikes and (at least in the UK) were never big with idiots so used ones are generally in good condition. The only thing I'd say is they're quite heavy and have a much higher seat than an SV so make sure she at least sits on it to make sure she's comfortable with that.

(Mind you I still think owning a Japanese v-twin shows a fundamental lack of basic character in a person, either own an Italian bike or don't :colbert:)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

That looks awesome! If you don't get it, I might. If you check it out and decide against it, do you mind PMing me why?

I don't have PM, but I can mention my decision here or you can contact me at the email address I gave last page.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the walkin dude posted:

I think they do have some reliability issues. Cam chain tensioners. Also, that's a hell of an upgrade. I've ridden one of those things, and they loving scream. But they're awesome bikes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't see why not, they're quite good bikes and (at least in the UK) were never big with idiots so used ones are generally in good condition. The only thing I'd say is they're quite heavy and have a much higher seat than an SV so make sure she at least sits on it to make sure she's comfortable with that.

(Mind you I still think owning a Japanese v-twin shows a fundamental lack of basic character in a person, either own an Italian bike or don't :colbert:)

I think exceptions can be made for things like TL-R's and RC51's...

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So a SuperHawk has no character, compared to a RC51?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The SuperHawk engine is a bit flat power wise. There is torque but no real powerband hit. The real downside of the superhawk is they have really small tanks and rather poor gas mileage. You could look around but I think the range to an empty tank can be as low as 120 miles.

Given the price of that particular bike at least around here I think you could do better. You can find older Aprilias in that price range which are probably as reliable and have larger tanks, more powerful engines, and handle better.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I emailed him, he says he's available Sunday afternoon, so I arranged to take a look at noon. "You're the first in line to see it", he says.

Get a text this morning that he's showing it to someone else at 11, so I should wait to leave until he knows if it's sold or not. Sure enough, by 11:30 it's sold.

What a shitbird, I had withdrawn $1200 from the bank and planned my Sunday around driving the 50 minutes to Berkeley and back. Apparently the guy who bought it was the second one to contact him. loving hell.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In his defense, why would he tell someone handing him a fistful of cash "uh sorry man I'm not going to take your money because someone else MIGHT want to buy it". He had no reason not to, unless you told him on the phone (not email) "I'm bringing cash, and if everything checks out I will buy it" (and even then, that doesn't really mean you're going to buy it for sure). You were too late, and he even got in touch with you before you left to save you the trip.

That $1200 you withdrew, well, if you're in the market for a bike you're going to need that on hand anyways.

You're just mad because you didn't get what you wanted.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

epalm posted:

In his defense, why would he tell someone handing him a fistful of cash "uh sorry man I'm not going to take your money because someone else MIGHT want to buy it". He had no reason not to, unless you told him on the phone (not email) "I'm bringing cash, and if everything checks out I will buy it" (and even then, that doesn't really mean you're going to buy it for sure). You were too late, and he even got in touch with you before you left to save you the trip.

That $1200 you withdrew, well, if you're in the market for a bike you're going to need that on hand anyways.

You're just mad because you didn't get what you wanted.

Yeah, some of what you say is fair, but if he had me down for noon, anybody who contacts him later should be scheduled to check it out at 1 or whenever. If he had said he could show it in the morning, I'd have gone at 9 or 10, but he said he was available in the afternoon, then turned around and had someone else come in the morning.

I understand the money in hand aspect, I've sold a bike on Craigslist too and know that only about 1 in 5 people will show up when you arrange to meet, and fewer with money in hand. I should have told him I had the money ready and planned to make the buy.

Back to searching through dozens of overpriced hosed-up "cafe" projects.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't care what the situation is, first person cash in hand who is buying gets what I'm selling. I'll be up front with any sellers about where they are in 'line' of people showing up, but if you agree to come at 8 and someone wants to come at 7:30 and brings cash. I'll let you know they're coming at 7:30 but I wouldn't stop for a second to sell it to the first guy who pays up.

I held a bike once for a buyer who was a sure thing who later backed out. Never again. If its a friend or someone in the local bike communities that's one thing, but random guy on CL? Money talks.

Next time when you know you are ready to buy a bike, cash in hand at home, find bike, call guy, head straight over. It's not always possible but if you know you are bike shopping and you have a budget, have that budget in cash on hand to snag the real good deals.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 12, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is why I always try and move on bikes immediately. Especially up here. Gotta be really aggressive about it, I usually try and plan same day purchases once I get the guy's number.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3403625000.html

Not usually my style, but it looks pretty good for having been dropped/layer dan'd. Wondering that that black mark on the frame just in front of the shifter is.

Pissingintowind, this might be something for you to check out too; it's low mileage and a pretty low price for a running bike in the Bay Area.

Edit: Now this is much more my thing: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3400866751.html Anybody want to venture a guess what's up with the oil pan leak? Also, what the hell's so difficult about sending in $19 for a non-op when they mail you the registration renewal? I swear, 50% of bikes on Craigslist, you have to tack on another $150-300 to the price just to make the DMV happy.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 13, 2012

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I would think oil leak is from overtightening/stripping the poo poo out of the threads while screwing the bolt back in. In which case, him saying that it leaks less from "tightening the nut" is the complete opposite of what you should be doing. If it's just stripped threads, you can probably just retap the hole with a larger size bolt. If it's been overtightened too much, then there might be cracks in the oil pan which means it needs to be replaced.

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 13, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't need another bike. I don't need another bike. :negative:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3405724192.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That thing is sexy. Do it.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3390376259.html

I've wanted one of these for a while, and this seems like a pretty good deal for a mostly complete bike. It's my understanding that a missing title is a big deal though. According to my state's DMV (NC), the registered owner can apply for a replacement, but what happens if the seller isn't the registered owner (or is too lazy to help me out)?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Schottingham posted:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3390376259.html

I've wanted one of these for a while, and this seems like a pretty good deal for a mostly complete bike. It's my understanding that a missing title is a big deal though. According to my state's DMV (NC), the registered owner can apply for a replacement, but what happens if the seller isn't the registered owner (or is too lazy to help me out)?

I had that exact bike as my first ride, got it for $250, dropped about $100 on a new battery and gas tank. It's a hell of a lot of fun. Tossed some new mirrors on it ($15 from the bike shop) and had a good time.

Unfortunately can't speak to the title thing...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If North Carolina is anything like Georgia, you fill out a form, take it to a police station, the cop verifies the VIN and makes sure it doesn't come up as stolen, then you take that form and the bill of sale to the DMV, and they hand you a license plate.

Georgia doesn't title vehicles older than 25 years. If you have the title, that's great, but they won't replace one if it gets lost or stolen.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

If North Carolina is anything like Georgia

IIRC Georgia is unusually slack and NC is not. You should call the DMV for (some) clarification prior to purchase.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Or I should buy it, fix it, and flip it down here.

My girlfriend is asleep, but I can hear her thinking "No, we do not need another bike!"

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3412219118.html

Looks cool, and inexpensive for the Bay.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3403384267.html

If I could get somebody to haul this for me, it seems to be in great shape... I'm thinking if it kicks over (engine isn't seized), it shouldn't be impossible to get started.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love the very 80s tach and speedo. Right out of TRON.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Fuel gauge and gear display! Keeper.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

I love the very 80s tach and speedo. Right out of TRON.

I own that bike, and that gauge cluster is one of the best things about it, especially lit up at night.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I am brand new to bikes and live in the uk. While I am old enough to do a full license straight away if I wanted I think I want to pick up a nice 125cc bike and spend a fairly long time getting comfortable before I jump on anything bigger.

In particular I love the suzuki vanvan. Im seeing what seem like good ads such as this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160922929153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Has anyone got any experience with these things and can tell me what I should look out for if im picking one up second hand.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You say tat but realistically you'll probably outgrow something that small very quick as you pick up riding skills. Anything from 250 up to 500 or a 650 ninja/ Suzuki sv will be perfectly fine to start on.

If you do start really small expect to sell it real quick. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just wouldn't get anything that nice, buy used make your beginner mistakes on it and flip it

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

In the UK I am restricted to riding at maximum at 125cc bike after doing the basic training course and after passing the test id be restricted to a bike up to 25kW power output and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg for 2 years. To be honest im not really sure what that translates into in terms of bikes and they are changing the laws come Jan to something more complicated. I need something for dicking around town on for awhile rather than something for long distance travel and those vanvans just look so damned fun and stylish.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You say tat but realistically you'll probably outgrow something that small very quick as you pick up riding skills. Anything from 250 up to 500 or a 650 ninja/ Suzuki sv will be perfectly fine to start on.

If you do start really small expect to sell it real quick. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just wouldn't get anything that nice, buy used make your beginner mistakes on it and flip it

He's in the UK and does not yet have a bike license, so it's not simply a case of 'buy a bigger one'. If as I infer he has a car license, it's very easy to get on a 125 whereas doing direct access means a lot of training and two test modules (unless they've changed it yet again) which are not of the American 'do a figure eight and don't fall off too much' variety.

Teatime, the Van Van and the similar Yamaha Tw are not particularly well loved. The balloon tyres are a bit of an affectation and don't help handling or fuel economy. Think 20" rimzz on a Citroen 2cv. I would go for the ubiquitous Yamaha Ybr or Honda cg125 if you want a four stroke 125. Avoid Chinese bikes. Shoddy or even dangerous build and mystery unobtainable parts that will baffle you if it breaks.

125s will work well if you live in a big city and will mostly ride within it.

If outside the city, you may find riding a 125 that car drivers try to drive through you like they do with mopeds. That's one reason to straight to direct access. Another is that with a good training school, you will get lots of training rides on open roads on "proper" bikes. Not a bad way to get your feet wet with the benefit of a nanny/instructor behind you. If you don't enjoy it, you haven't bought a bike. If you do, you can do your test and buy what you like (or possibly what you can afford to insure).

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

The cover of that manual is awesome in a cave painting kind of way.

If our civilization collapses and in a few hundred years archeologists who cannot read our languages find that owner's manual they would think we worshipped bikes.

They would not be wrong.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saga posted:

He's in the UK and does not yet have a bike license, so it's not simply a case of 'buy a bigger one'. If as I infer he has a car license, it's very easy to get on a 125 whereas doing direct access means a lot of training and two test modules (unless they've changed it yet again) which are not of the American 'do a figure eight and don't fall off too much' variety.

Teatime, the Van Van and the similar Yamaha Tw are not particularly well loved. The balloon tyres are a bit of an affectation and don't help handling or fuel economy. Think 20" rimzz on a Citroen 2cv. I would go for the ubiquitous Yamaha Ybr or Honda cg125 if you want a four stroke 125. Avoid Chinese bikes. Shoddy or even dangerous build and mystery unobtainable parts that will baffle you if it breaks.

125s will work well if you live in a big city and will mostly ride within it.

If outside the city, you may find riding a 125 that car drivers try to drive through you like they do with mopeds. That's one reason to straight to direct access. Another is that with a good training school, you will get lots of training rides on open roads on "proper" bikes. Not a bad way to get your feet wet with the benefit of a nanny/instructor behind you. If you don't enjoy it, you haven't bought a bike. If you do, you can do your test and buy what you like (or possibly what you can afford to insure).

Oh, for some reason I inferred that he could get whatever because he is of a certain age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Oh, for some reason I inferred that he could get whatever because he is of a certain age.

If you're old enough you can have any capacity bike, but only once you do your full bike test. This typically takes months to do and these days maybe about a grand(?) in tuition and bike rental. Car drivers can ride a 125 on L plates once they do a one or two day basic training course. The number of people doing this so they can use a scooter or 125 for commuting tends to drive up 125 prices.

They do keep changing the law, mostly to discourage motorcyclists as far as I can see. But it seems like he is not old enough to go straight to a full licence, hence the intermediate 25kw restriction.

Tea time, if you ever leave heavily built up areas and/or you're taking up biking for fun and recreation rather than just to hop on a c90 and get 100mpg, I would just do your licence as soon as is financially practicable. 25kw should give you access to things like the Ninja 250 and various big and middling single cylinder bikes, which will be more versatile, less stressful in faster traffic and good preparation for larger or faster things when the restriction expires. Also I believe the licensing regime is getting more draconian from Jan as well as more complex, so if you can try to squeeze in while you can.