Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm curious, how long would it take to figure out if it sucks or not? Or is that the kind of thing we won't know until it's too late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm curious, how long would it take to figure out if it sucks or not? Or is that the kind of thing we won't know until it's too late?

It should only be a couple months. It gives people time to get acquainted with the phone and really wind it out, recognize issues, possibly even have to deal with a patch or an update. I'd say give it a full 3 months to be sure but I bought the original Epic and followed it with the Evo 3D, so I am fairly pessimistic about (gently caress) non-Nexus phones.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

It should only be a couple months. It gives people time to get acquainted with the phone and really wind it out, recognize issues, possibly even have to deal with a patch or an update. I'd say give it a full 3 months to be sure but I bought the original Epic and followed it with the Evo 3D, so I am fairly pessimistic about (gently caress) non-Nexus phones.

You should join me on Straight Talk AT&T. We can be the only people in Omaha with a Nexus 4.

I use little enough data (45MB today) to be okay with their weird caps if Omaha has some insane one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just learned that the Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch) will be $1 at Best Buy on Black Friday, with 2-year activation.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Just learned that the Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch) will be $1 at Best Buy on Black Friday, with 2-year activation.

That sounds like a pretty horrible deal.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Here's an odd one.

I bought a new (subsidized) phone a few months ago, but from a reseller.

Sprint's laughably horrible 4G coverage has had me itching to jump ship though. I figured the new LTE phone would be better, but no, I've seen 4G once since I've owned it (and I'm in one of their launch LTE markets - DFW). And there's no plans for them to get the Nexus 4, which really irritates me.

I logged into my sprint.com account tonight and noticed I'm eligible for a new subsidized phone. And my contract apparently never got extended either - it expires in a week. I'm giving serious thought about snagging an N4 and jumping ship to T-Mobile's $30/mo prepaid plan w/5GB & 100 min, and porting my # to Google Voice.. coupled with GrooveIP. I only use about 150-200 minutes a month, so even if I don't do VoIP, I'd still be saving a huge amount per year.

I know the N4 isn't "4G", but a family member's T-Mobile SGS2 HSPA+ phone nails 20mbit on speedtest.net (in the same house). And I'd save a lot by switching to a prepaid high data/low minutes plan, particularly with the N4's low price point. I average 3-4GB/mo, so the 5GB limit would be fine.

Short version - think anyone will notice the snafu with not extending my contract when I call to cancel?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 9, 2012

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

some texas redneck posted:

Short version - think anyone will notice the snafu with not extending my contract when I call to cancel?

You don't call to cancel. You port the number, which cancels your contract.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well this shows how long I've been with Sprint. :downs: Been with them for... well, over a decade. Never had to deal with porting, but I really want to keep Google Voice, and this $90/month poo poo is killing me since I went from a decent lower-middle class income to minimum wage.

So by porting my # to Google Voice, my contract is automatically cancelled, correct? My contract expires in 2 weeks, so if I wait until after that date, I'd assume it just cancels any future obligations.

e: removed the rest since it's bordering on :filez:

e2: VVV thanks

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 9, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Correct.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So for the Black Friday deals on Galaxy S3's I have an eligibility upgrade on 1 of my lines that I want to use on a different line. Would a Wal-Mart or Best Buy or whoever has the best deal on the SG3, be able to use the upgrade on my evo3d but for the other phone on my account (rumor touch)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

You should join me on Straight Talk AT&T. We can be the only people in Omaha with a Nexus 4.

I use little enough data (45MB today) to be okay with their weird caps if Omaha has some insane one.

Holy poo poo is the reception any good?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

fyallm posted:

So for the Black Friday deals on Galaxy S3's I have an eligibility upgrade on 1 of my lines that I want to use on a different line. Would a Wal-Mart or Best Buy or whoever has the best deal on the SG3, be able to use the upgrade on my evo3d but for the other phone on my account (rumor touch)

If they can't just get them to do it just use the upgrade on the line that's eligible and then call customer service and ask them to switch stuff around.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Just got an email from Sprint. There are gonna be a couple of changes starting on Dec 1. It says that we can opt-in to targeted ads. And that we're already opted into a "Reporting & Analytics Program". We can opt out of that if we want. It looks like each line on your account has to have their preferences individually adjusted.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Holy poo poo is the reception any good?

I'll know that as soon as I can get a phone to test it on.

From what I've heard though, it's good in a lot of places, meh to passable in others. So probably about the same as Sprint's coverage for Omaha but with faster speeds. Everyone I talk to says they have faster speeds even though it's prepaid.

Then again, everyone also says, while prepaid is faster than postpaid Sprint, it's not as fast as postpaid AT&T. This is obvious as I've been on prepaid already.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
I have 4G in certain areas of the East sf Bay, which is cool, though Sprint doesnt say anything about it existing.

I get great 4G in Moraga, and spotty in Walnut Creek.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Alright guys, so I'm getting a phone on Sprint this month. Should I get the LG Optimus G, or the Galaxy S III? The Optimus G has way better specs and a better screen, but probably much worse support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BobTheSpy posted:

Alright guys, so I'm getting a phone on Sprint this month. Should I get the LG Optimus G, or the Galaxy S III? The Optimus G has way better specs and a better screen, but probably much worse support.

Galaxy S3.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

ExcessBLarg! posted:

SERO Premium didn't become available as a plan until October 2010. So there was a four month period where the only way to pick up an Evo 4G was to switch to $70/mo EPRP. Thing is, as I recall, folks who previously were on SERO and had switched to EPRP had the option to switch to SERO Premium but had to call in to do it.

There's also the separate issue that attempts to upgrade at a corporate store most often resulted in sales support pushing folks to EPRP because they never know what's up.

Dear God I had no idea I could go back to SERO. Just made the call today but ffs I've been on EPRP ever since the HTC EVO came out :shepicide:

mtr
May 15, 2008

theDOWmustflow posted:

Dear God I had no idea I could go back to SERO. Just made the call today but ffs I've been on EPRP ever since the HTC EVO came out epicide:

Did you just switch back? I similarly switched to an everything plan for the Evo 4G but did know I could switch back to SERO.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Yeah, I just called in and asked to be switched back from EPRP to SERO since I had it previously, but that I hadn't known I could do that.

Do SERO customers have to pay the extra $10 data fee?

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

theDOWmustflow posted:

Do SERO customers have to pay the extra $10 data fee?
For all practical purposes, yes. (On smartphones.)

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
So it's $50 + $10 = $60 total a month on SERO with a 4G capable phone?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

theDOWmustflow posted:

$55/mo with taxes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

theDOWmustflow posted:

$40 + $10 = $50/mo (add taxes) for SERO Premium 500.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Medullah posted:

Best Buy posted their black friday ad and as someone posted earlier as a suspicion, the Galaxy S III is a doorbuster at $48.

I didn't quite understand what people were saying a couple pages earlier regarding people that are off-contract but have existing accounts with Sprint. Do deals like this work only for new customers or does it also apply to people like me who are off-contract but still with Sprint?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

$40 + $10 = $50/mo (add taxes) for SERO Premium 500.

also kickin' rad, thank you and everyone else in this thread so much!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

theDOWmustflow posted:

I didn't quite understand what people were saying a couple pages earlier regarding people that are off-contract but have existing accounts with Sprint. Do deals like this work only for new customers or does it also apply to people like me who are off-contract but still with Sprint?

also kickin' rad, thank you and everyone else in this thread so much!

Best buy deals sometimes apply to all customers eligible to sign a contract, sometimes they will have a "new customer" pricing and a "upgrade pricing." They make far more on new lines, so they sometimes will subsidize them more.

Reminder that if you have SERO or EPRP you cannot buy from anywhere buy corporate sprint.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

theDOWmustflow posted:

Dear God I had no idea I could go back to SERO. Just made the call today but ffs I've been on EPRP ever since the HTC EVO came out :shepicide:
Just out of curiosity, how did you go about asking for it back? I switched from SERO to EPRP when the OG EVO came out as well and holy gently caress would it be nice to get that back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Both of my parents just bought SGS3's (and are on EPRP). If Sprint were to drop the price around Black Friday, would Sprint reimburse the difference or do they not have any sort of short time price guarantee?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Both of my parents just bought SGS3's (and are on EPRP). If Sprint were to drop the price around Black Friday, would Sprint reimburse the difference or do they not have any sort of short time price guarantee?

If they are within 30 days they can return the phone anyway, so just return it and go to another store and buy them on sale.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nitrousoxide posted:

If they are within 30 days they can return the phone anyway, so just return it and go to another store and buy them on sale.

Isn't it 15 days?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Isn't it 15 days?
It's 14, exactly 14. So if you buy on a Saturday, the latest you can return is two Fridays later.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's 14, exactly 14. So if you buy on a Saturday, the latest you can return is two Fridays later.

Oh, It was 30 2.5 years ago when I got my Evo 4g, but then maybe it was because I was becoming a new Sprint customer.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I'm on the lowest EPRP program (1250 minutes or whatever for like $70).

I was wanting to put my wife on another line. Is there any way to switch to a family plan that won't be stupidly bad where I won't lose my EPRP perks?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, It was 30 2.5 years ago when I got my Evo 4g, but then maybe it was because I was becoming a new Sprint customer.
They changed it to 14 days last year, I think it was in September.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

raej posted:

I'm on the lowest EPRP program (1250 minutes or whatever for like $70).

I was wanting to put my wife on another line. Is there any way to switch to a family plan that won't be stupidly bad where I won't lose my EPRP perks?

There's a 1500 minute eprp family plan that you can switch to.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Are there any top-end phones that have smaller screen sizes? My fiance is looking to get a new Sprint phone, but doesn't like the S3 because it is too big for her hands (she is part T-Rex).

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

accipter posted:

Are there any top-end phones that have smaller screen sizes? My fiance is looking to get a new Sprint phone, but doesn't like the S3 because it is too big for her hands (she is part T-Rex).
The iPhone 5

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Has anyone here upgraded from an EVO 3D to the note 2? I'm considering getting it, but I'm worried about the 3g radio.

I usually constantly stream Internet radio on my phone while I'm working, but I only get 3-4 bars in my office. I don't want to shell out for the note 2 and lose my distraction source.

I was going to go for an iPhone out of frustration for the hardware issues with android phones, but the size of the note 2 is very attractive to me. I used to be jealous of the Dell streak 5 on at&t, so I'm happy to see this size device on sprint finally.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Apparently my next upgrade will be available in August, which is quite a bit sooner than I expected. So I guess I can hang on to my EVO 3D a while longer. Maybe there will be a new super phone and a good Sprint network by then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I received an "Unknown" call a few days ago on my Sprint phone. Unfortunately I didn't decide to try and determine the number that called me until after other phone calls had been made and received on the phone. What options do I have for tracking down the number that the call originated from?