Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So I was running the proprietary drivers on my 550 Ti. Some updates came in, told me to restart, now I'm back to where the proprietary drivers won't load Unity and the Nouveau drivers are so gimped I might as well not even have a graphics card installed.

Should I just erase 12.10 and go back to 12.04?

EDIT: Might be this. Priority 'wishlist', nice. I mean who wants to actually use their hardware?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Merkinman posted:

So I was running the proprietary drivers on my 550 Ti. Some updates came in, told me to restart, now I'm back to where the proprietary drivers won't load Unity and the Nouveau drivers are so gimped I might as well not even have a graphics card installed.

EDIT: Might be this. Priority 'wishlist', nice. I mean who wants to actually use their hardware?
To be clear about what's going on here:

The NVidia Proprietary drivers need to build a kernel module at install time, which in turn needs the kernel headers. The driver install will build the driver for every kernel it finds matching headers for on the system at install time.

If you did something like install the new driver individually and then update the system to install the kernel afterwards, it might not have been built.

This isn't a trivial problem to solve at the packaging layer, since the driver install needs to also support the situation where someone doesn't want the latest kernel and latest kernel headers (like a strict dependency on the -generic package would)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

"wishlist" against dpkg is probably correct, but I added a new bug task for the Additional Drivers tool because this seems like a new failure (in older versions it would guarantee getting the matching headers, so something broke).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-properties/+bug/1068341

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How the heck do I get Ubuntu 12.10 to blank my screen after X minutes and at the same time lock the computer and then Y minutes after that sleep the screen?

With Windows I accomplished this with a blank screensaver along with checking the box to lock the PC and then configuring power options to sleep the display some time later.

In "Brightness and Lock", I have "Turn screen of when inactive for:" set to 5 minutes. "Lock" is ON. "Lock screen after:" is set to 5 minutes. "Require my password when waking from suspend is checked".

Occasionally I have to enter my password to unlock the computer, but much more often it just takes me right to my desktop after moving mouse/pressing key on keyboard.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is there something in the screensaver settings for locking the screen?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was messing around in Xubuntu (logged in with an "xfce session" and played with the different themes) and now window opacity settings are bricked.

I used to have semi-transparent notifications and icon panel, but now it just doesn't work no matter how much I mess with the opacity settings (the settings seem to be gone for the lower panel too...)

What happened? Restarting the computer didn't help and Googling turned no results, so I'm out of ideas.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

I was messing around in Xubuntu (logged in with an "xfce session" and played with the different themes) and now window opacity settings are bricked.

I used to have semi-transparent notifications and icon panel, but now it just doesn't work no matter how much I mess with the opacity settings (the settings seem to be gone for the lower panel too...)

What happened? Restarting the computer didn't help and Googling turned no results, so I'm out of ideas.
You could try futzing with the themes under Ubuntu proper in an attempt to reset it. I forget how to choose themes in vanilla Ubuntu these days though.

I believe that things could be normal again with a new user account as well. If that's the case you could try figuring out which hidden file/folder in your home directory is responsible and manually delete it.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

The Merkinman posted:

I've actually stuck with 12.04 myself because I own a 550 Ti, and I was worried about the installation process if I were to update, since things like -nomodeset were needed to get 12.04 to install in the first place. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fourwood posted:

Is there something in the screensaver settings for locking the screen?

AFAICT, 12.10 doesn't have any screensavers or settings for screensavers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ShadowHawk posted:

You could try futzing with the themes under Ubuntu proper in an attempt to reset it. I forget how to choose themes in vanilla Ubuntu these days though.

I believe that things could be normal again with a new user account as well. If that's the case you could try figuring out which hidden file/folder in your home directory is responsible and manually delete it.

Thanks. I found out what was wrong once I realized it worked fine in the Guest account. Compositing got disabled somehow. Everything's back to normal now :downs:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Thermopyle posted:

AFAICT, 12.10 doesn't have any screensavers or settings for screensavers.

Canonical's bold new vision.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

kimbo305 posted:

Canonical's bold new vision.

Technically this is gnome3's fault isn't it?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Longinus00 posted:

Technically this is gnome3's fault isn't it?
Indeed it is. Ubuntu the project is far more dependent on the decisions of upstream projects than most people realize.

Still, in this case I can't really say I disagree with the removal of screensavers as a concept. I can't even remember the last time I saw a CRT, and when I did I surely wasn't worried about its slow degradation over time.

edit: please not there are still definitely settings for locking/blacking the screen

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 9, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

People born after CRTs universally supported DPMS can drive and possibly vote now. I'm pretty sure we can stop supporting actual animated screensavers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mystes posted:

People born after CRTs universally supported DPMS can drive and possibly vote now. I'm pretty sure we can stop supporting actual animated screensavers.

They look really cool. If you don't have a 3D animated model or a Matrix-inspired screen saver, how are you going to look like real hacker?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Bob Morales posted:

They look really cool. If you don't have a 3D animated model or a Matrix-inspired screen saver, how are you going to look like real hacker?

Stop wasting energy :( :( :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

At this point, I'm pretty sure a Matrix screensaver says "retro" or "overly interested in 90's movies" way more than it says "wannabe hacker". We can still have a program to show today's kids what screensavers were all about, though, it just doesn't need to be built into the desktop environment.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 9, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My laptop screen goes blank (all-black) instead of powering down when I use Ubuntu. It stays on all night unless I close the lid (it's set to go OFF after ~30 minutes).
I *wish* it didn't load its blank "screensaver" and just shut off.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Phoenixan posted:

I've actually stuck with 12.04 myself because I own a 550 Ti, and I was worried about the installation process if I were to update, since things like -nomodeset were needed to get 12.04 to install in the first place. :(
I believe that bug has been fixed,it was related to the Linux kernal version. I posted about it in this very thread when I had the issue 6 months ago. Aside from that serious workaround to install the generic kernal, the closed source drivers have been fine on 12.10.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Xenomorph posted:

My laptop screen goes blank (all-black) instead of powering down when I use Ubuntu. It stays on all night unless I close the lid (it's set to go OFF after ~30 minutes).
I *wish* it didn't load its blank "screensaver" and just shut off.

Do you have a nVidia graphics card, per chance? And using the proprietary drivers?

I have had a similar issue with my Dell Latitude E6410 (which has a nVidia NVS3100M). After putting up with it for months and months, I found that you need to upgrade to a new drivers and some new xorg packages.

What you do is:

code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo apt-get upgrade
Reboot and you should be golden. You can check to see if it's worked by running:

code:
xset dpms force off
Hope that helps you (or anyone else) out.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
what tools should I be using to connect my 12.10 desktop to my IPsec vpn connection. I know it is up and running as I can connect on my iphone and my mac, just not my ubuntu machine. I get prompted for my password, but it won't establish the connection.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Zaraphrax posted:

Do you have a nVidia graphics card, per chance? And using the proprietary drivers?

ATI X300. I'm using whatever driver is built in.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Hey I'm running Ubuntu 12.10. I installed Amarok because it is way better than rythmbox, and it integrates the little control when you click the speaker icon on the top menu. However, I ran apt-get autoremove and now Amarok does not work. If i click on the icon for it in the launcher it will blink for a few seconds like it is going to start up but Amarok does not launch. The controls for Amarok aren't in the widget in the top menu, but there is an icon for Amarok that also fails to launch it.

I have used the Ubuntu Software Center to uninstall and then install Amarok again, but that hasn't helped. Any other ideas on how I can get it to work again? I really hate how Rythmbox manages the play queue and overall don't like its UI/UX.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I've had a real poo poo morning and it would be great if somebody could help me.

I tried installing 12.04 alongside my windows partition last night. Instead of installing alongside it, it corrupted the entire drive. I tried to use my Clonezilla backup of my C:\ (come on, what kind of idiot doesn't back their system up before installing Linux), only to get constant errors from Clonezilla. Now, I've finally got 12.04 up and running. I've got the proprietary Nvidia 310.14 drivers running (I tried running the recommended and ended up with no graphics at all, limited to a command line, which is of no use to me because I'm installing Linux to learn the system). However, at 1920x1080, I have really bad overscan. I had this in Windows, but I was able to easily correct it with the Nvidia control panel. The control panel for Linux doesn't have this option. When I try to run the command "nvidia-settings --assign="OverScanCompensation=100"" (just to see what it does, and see if I can find a way to fix poo poo) I get the output:

ERROR: The attribute 'OverscanCompensation' specified in assignment
'OverScanCompensation=100' cannot be assigned (it is a read-only
attribute).

How do I fix my overscan? Can I manually force my display to go to what I need it to (1824x1036)? No, I can't change the TV settings, as the TV I've been using is a cheapo with hardly any options other than adjusting color, tint, etc. There's no overscan options on it.

EDIT: My hardware is i5-2500k, GeForce 560 Ti, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and I'm connected via HDMI.

EDIT 2: Finally got it fixed. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145639 is where I found the answer.

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 19, 2012

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I just upgraded to Kubuntu 13.04 on my laptop, and was pleasantly surprised that nothing went wrong. The only problem I've encountered is having to help VMware Workstation find kernel headers, and I'm not looking forward to having to do this for every kernel release.

I use btrfs on all of my systems and they're all configured to take snapshots on every boot -- I wouldn't have dreamed of trying this upgrade without such an undo mechanism.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone have some pointers for "managing" a bunch of 12.04 server installs? I know I'd like to be using puppet to push out our custom software packages and keep certain config files up to date, but what about updates? One of the requirements is that updates can only be run with certain windows, so I'd basically like an easy way to click a button or whatever and have all the machines install their updates, and then not do it again until I tell them to.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone have some pointers for "managing" a bunch of 12.04 server installs? I know I'd like to be using puppet to push out our custom software packages and keep certain config files up to date, but what about updates? One of the requirements is that updates can only be run with certain windows, so I'd basically like an easy way to click a button or whatever and have all the machines install their updates, and then not do it again until I tell them to.
Depending on how big your organization is, you may want to investigate Canonical's landscape service.

Could you clarify what you mean by update windows though? Are these not simple package updates that you can just solve with apt-get on the command line? If the problem is that you receive interaction prompts on some updates, there are ways around that that are scriptable such as the DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive environment variable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ShadowHawk posted:

Depending on how big your organization is, you may want to investigate Canonical's landscape service.

Could you clarify what you mean by update windows though? Are these not simple package updates that you can just solve with apt-get on the command line? If the problem is that you receive interaction prompts on some updates, there are ways around that that are scriptable such as the DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive environment variable.

For reasons beyond my control, there are lockdown periods where nothing is allowed to change. So servers updating would be bad. So I'd like a way to automatically apply patches, but only in maintenace windows that I can specify.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can anyone tell me what's happening here? These are the only duplicate applications I can find, but who knows what else is in my list of installed things. One of each set of duplicates does not run ("Failed to execute command...") and those that do not work are Gnome applications, where I'm using Xubuntu (12.04 32-bit)

How do I get rid of them and (possibly) others.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I just installed 12.10 after years away from desktop linux.

It's woking okay, the problem is that my pc encounters various errors upon waking up from suspend. I'm using an nvidia card and several sources online say that drivers may have something to do with the problem.

I went ahead and installed the "current" nvidia driver package from software center but this didn't seem to solve the problem. When I look at the grapics details under system settings, it says my video card is "unknown".

How do I begin to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure exactly which drive is active, what I would like to do is switch to a generic graphics driver without hardware acceleration so I can determine if this is actually the cause.

EDIT: Sorry, is this thread only for 12.04? I may switch to LTS anyway.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I just installed 12.10 after years away from desktop linux.

It's woking okay, the problem is that my pc encounters various errors upon waking up from suspend. I'm using an nvidia card and several sources online say that drivers may have something to do with the problem.

I went ahead and installed the "current" nvidia driver package from software center but this didn't seem to solve the problem. When I look at the grapics details under system settings, it says my video card is "unknown".

How do I begin to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure exactly which drive is active, what I would like to do is switch to a generic graphics driver without hardware acceleration so I can determine if this is actually the cause.

EDIT: Sorry, is this thread only for 12.04? I may switch to LTS anyway.

You might have the same bug I have with installing proprietary nVidia drivers. Read my last few posts and ShadowHawk's responses.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Merkinman posted:

You might have the same bug I have with installing proprietary nVidia drivers. Read my last few posts and ShadowHawk's responses.

Thanks!

I solved the problem by installing fedora 17 instead, which is really good, by the way.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, I'm about to install a new SSD for my /. I'm going with 12.04 stable, but I'm wondering if I should be doing anything special for the drive. Do I have to gently caress with the TRIMS or w/e?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

deong posted:

So, I'm about to install a new SSD for my /. I'm going with 12.04 stable, but I'm wondering if I should be doing anything special for the drive. Do I have to gently caress with the TRIMS or w/e?

What SSD model?

What tool will you be using to format/partition it? Some disk utility app aligned the partition to sector 63 (old/bad), but GParted correctly aligned to 2048.

With ext4, make sure the drive is mounted with the "discard" option.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Xenomorph posted:

What SSD model?

What tool will you be using to format/partition it? Some disk utility app aligned the partition to sector 63 (old/bad), but GParted correctly aligned to 2048.

With ext4, make sure the drive is mounted with the "discard" option.

Sorry.
For the drive, I went with this one from the SSD mega thread.

Alereon posted:

:siren:Newegg has the SanDisk Extreme 240GB for $139.99 today only while supplies last:siren:

This is a Sandforce drive with SanDisk 24nm Toggle-NAND, so it's equivalent (perhaps even a bit better than) the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe I like to tout (and also similar to the better-known OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS). I bought one and am quite looking forward to it.

I went through the ubuntu installer, and used the self partitioning options. I like to seperate out /home still, and I didn't want to deticate the whole drive to Ubuntu just in case. I went with ubuntu 12.04 for the LTS support.

I suspect I'll be able to go into fstab and modify the mount options to include discard? if not, its easy enough to throw away the install and start fresh.

Thanks.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm getting a consistent 700K/s file tranfer speed over Gigabit with WiFi disabled on my Thinkpad. Using the same cable in a different machine gets full speeds. Looking on Google this appears to be an issue that affects thousands of people. Is there a fix?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sounds like an auto-negotiation problem, but you can only force 100mb. 700k is 10mb.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
What speed is it connected at? Grep through dmesg for the name of your network adapter and there should be a line where it reports its connection speed. For example, I have:

code:
[   16.996872] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
Or you can use mii-tool which should report the connection speed.

Absinthe
Jan 9, 2004

I'm trying to boot the Ubuntu 12.10 livecd. I currently have Windows 7 x64 installed. I start my computer to boot the Ubuntu livecd and I get a kernel panic. Something like: cannot mount VFS to unkown root (0,0)
comm swapper/0 not tainted

I posted this on AskUbuntu and got zero responses. I've scoured google trying to find an answer to this and I don't get anything that helps. I've tried reburning the ISO 7 times at the slowest speed. My RAM is good. My HD is good. I am at an utter loss here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Absinthe posted:

I'm trying to boot the Ubuntu 12.10 livecd. I currently have Windows 7 x64 installed. I start my computer to boot the Ubuntu livecd and I get a kernel panic. Something like: cannot mount VFS to unkown root (0,0)
comm swapper/0 not tainted

I posted this on AskUbuntu and got zero responses. I've scoured google trying to find an answer to this and I don't get anything that helps. I've tried reburning the ISO 7 times at the slowest speed. My RAM is good. My HD is good. I am at an utter loss here.

Have you tried booting with the windows 7 hard drive unplugged? This could potentially be a really odd error with your CD drive, I would attempt booting from a USB drive. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ can createa USB drive for you, there are also directions on the Ubuntu website, but in my opinion that program is easier. Have you verified the ISO that you downloaded? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

• Locked thread