Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh hey they've confirmed that Capcom lapsed on the rights for Tatsunoko vs Capcom. The game may no longer be legally sold as new and is now forever discontinued.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377466/tatsunoko-vs-capcom-will-no-longer-be-sold/

Get it now before this poo poo goes away forever. It's probably is the only good exclusive fighter for a long while. Not only for the Wii but for the Wii-U as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who's going to be groping their console after they hook it up anyway? I don't see it being a problem. You could wipe any fingerprints off after you wipe the dust off every once in a while.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you're really anal about it, you could probably set it up, connect everything, pop it in the stand if you want, and THEN peel the plastic off.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

Oh hey they've confirmed that Capcom lapsed on the rights for Tatsunoko vs Capcom. The game may no longer be legally sold as new and is now forever discontinued.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377466/tatsunoko-vs-capcom-will-no-longer-be-sold/

Get it now before this poo poo goes away forever. It's probably is the only good exclusive fighter for a long while. Not only for the Wii but for the Wii-U as well.

Compared to MvC3 though, it's nothing. At least to the vast majority of people.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you're interested in Scribblenauts there is a giantbomb quicklook up now, looks pretty good.

I didn't realise that you could have more than two players, I'm glad I switched to it when Rayman got delayed.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who's going to be groping their console after they hook it up anyway? I don't see it being a problem. You could wipe any fingerprints off after you wipe the dust off every once in a while.

I have to move my consoles on a nearly weekly basis. I mean depending on what's coming out for assorted systems stuff has to be moved around and hooked up. Also they have to be moved to clean around the TV setup.

The Wii especialy since the motion bar has to be front and center.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you're really anal about it, you could probably set it up, connect everything, pop it in the stand if you want, and THEN peel the plastic off.

And then kill yourself because you care about fingerprints on a loving console that will be collecting dust in your TV stand for the next five years, never to be taken out again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know about the US, but I know JB Hi-Fi in Australia (I believe the US version is BestBuy?) is selling silicone gel covers for the GamePads (even tossing them in free in the Deluxes), so you don't have to get too worried about thumbprints.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know about the US, but I know JB Hi-Fi in Australia (I believe the US version is BestBuy?) is selling silicone gel covers for the GamePads (even tossing them in free in the Deluxes), so you don't have to get too worried about thumbprints.

Just use a magic sponge. Those things will remove even the most hardened and aged finger oils.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know the Wii stuff is using a "Wii Mode" and probably not use the tablet part of the Wii U, but what about the VC titles that get transferred over? It would be nice to just play them in the tablet.

Also any word if multiplayer transfers can happened? I have two different Wiis that have separate store purchases so I will have to bring them both over to the Wii U.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So is anyone else here picking up Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? I thought it was a safe title pick, especially at $39.99 and including online play. Plus the idea of playing as Vyse from Skies of Arcadia was too much to pass up.

Oh poo poo, it's only $40? I guess I'll be picking up two launch titles then (that and ZombiU).

Skies of Arcadia is just too awesome. I'm pretty impressed at some of the characters in this game.

ALSO, I just watched the official Japanese Wii U unboxing video from Nintendo, and man was it cute! I was smiling ear to ear the whole time. Oh, those Japanese.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Vaerai Archon posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a far, far better game than Tatsunoko vs Capcom. TvC is honestly a pretty bad game and I would recommend people avoid it. If you want a good 2D fighting game on Wii/Wii U, there are ports of the Guilty Gear games available on disc.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rirse posted:

I know the Wii stuff is using a "Wii Mode" and probably not use the tablet part of the Wii U, but what about the VC titles that get transferred over? It would be nice to just play them in the tablet.

I think it was mentioned that the VC titles purchased on the Wii will only play in the Wii mode, meaning no tablet support. This is why I stopped buying VC titles, but then I learned my Wii point balance is stuck in my Wii console unless I do a system transfer, so blah I just don't loving know any more. I have about 1600 Wii Points stored up that I should just blow on some stuff and enjoy while my Wii is still hooked up I suppose.

I would be impressed if the Wii U even had the entire backlog of released VC and WiiWare on Day 1, and would be blown away if all VC had tablet support. But in reality I expect Nintendo to start from scratch with the Virtual Console and have tablet support not supported initially and then patched in later like what they have been slowly doing with the ambassador games and adding save states and stuff on the 3DS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

weird bleep posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a far, far better game than Tatsunoko vs Capcom. TvC is honestly a pretty bad game and I would recommend people avoid it. If you want a good 2D fighting game on Wii/Wii U, there are ports of the Guilty Gear games available on disc.

I have to disagree. TvC's a good fun game with a great range of characters.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
TvC is a Real Bad Game, don't buy it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

The wii remotes are pretty shiny, I've had them for five years and there's no smudges on them. The only things I clean are the creases that get that sweat-green-gunk build up. The U controller is probably made out of similar stain-proof stuff.

I never had to worry about this because they never got used! :v:

Katana Gomai posted:

And then kill yourself because you care about fingerprints on a loving console that will be collecting dust in your TV stand for the next five years, never to be taken out again.

It's the tablet I care about, not the console.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

You should still probably not care about fingerprints on devices made to be held in your hands but to each their own.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Everything is a touchscreen these days, just wipe it off now and then. I write this from a just-wiped touchscreen device, mind you.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

Am I reading that right? If so that's a pretty big deal. Anyone could program a browser based game to just accept controller input. Hell there are those emulator sites already existing, Minecraft, etc. Now obviously those aren't going to be compatible with this browser, but anyone who wanted to could make something that is.
Reminds me of ES OS, although it's more like the various browser extensions in iOS that let sites access accelerometer data and touch events, could be pretty cool depending on dev uptake. Performance would probably be a limiter for more complex stuff like this NES emulator (which takes a nice chunk of CPU on my i5), but there's stuff like this game that runs fine even on my old iPhone 4 (...but controls like poo poo cause it uses tiny virtual buttons on there :v:).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is there any word yet on whether the Hori/Madcatz sticks are proper Wii U sticks? Everything I've read suggests they're the regular old Wii sticks and still need to be tethered to a Wiimote.

Also, don't buy TvC, not even to pretty up your shelf.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Couldn't find anything on the MadCatz one, but Google translated this story about the Hori one:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/017/G001762/20121025085/

quote:

"Stick Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U EDITION". Connection, and so on as well as Classic Controller PRO, type connected with Wii Remote Plus. This product itself but a wired connection, so communication with the main Wii U will be carried out by radio

quote:

※ This product does not work alone. When using this product, you will need (Wii Remote) Wii Remote Plus separately.
※ This product is not on the wireless controller.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

Everything is a touchscreen these days, just wipe it off now and then. I write this from a just-wiped touchscreen device, mind you.

I know, and it's not really a big deal, but I would have preferred the console have a nice matte finish.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Wow, weird seeing so much Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom hate. I know I'm retarded at fighting games, but me and all my friends played that game a ton. I loved it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rocco posted:

Wow, weird seeing so much Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom hate. I know I'm retarded at fighting games, but me and all my friends played that game a ton. I loved it.

People hated the Mega Crash system and half the cast being unrecognizable anime. Personally, i'm in your camp. I had more fun with TvC than I ever did with Marvel.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Apparently you can't elect to transfer certain bits and pieces like you can on 3DS, it's all or nothing.

I haven't seen this stated yet??

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Saves for most games are already freely transferable via SD card and not tied/licensed to your console at all (you can even download them from websites and load them just fine), so in theory you shouldn't need to even run the transfer software to bring those over to a Wii U.

I think the transfer business is more about VC/WiiWare software licenses, and the occasional save file that can't normally be moved or copied (Smash Bros, for example).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I haven't seen this stated yet??

One of the IGN journalists tweeted it, I forget which.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If they can make websites that accept gamepad input, how hilarious would it be if something like Onlive did that? Or would Nintendo then immediately modify the browser to disable that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

It's $59.99 in :canada:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's $59.99 in :canada:

And the UK (relative exchange-wise I mean). In Australia it's the full $80.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Yeah, I can't find any shops selling the Wii U version for $30, all have it at $60 here in the US.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Liku posted:

I know, and it's not really a big deal, but I would have preferred the console have a nice matte finish.

Me too. My launch PS3 looks like it has been through a war but it's just been moved a few times is all.

Luckily the white version won't suffer from this (is what I keep telling myself since I missed out on the deluxe preorder).

Not sure why Nintendo can't make their mind up; DS Lite: glossy, DSi: matte; 3DS: Glossy, 3DSXL: matte.

Can you imagine what the N64 would have looked like if it had that piano black gloss finish? :spergin:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Me too. My launch PS3 looks like it has been through a war but it's just been moved a few times is all.

Luckily the white version won't suffer from this (is what I keep telling myself since I missed out on the deluxe preorder).

Not sure why Nintendo can't make their mind up; DS Lite: glossy, DSi: matte; 3DS: Glossy, 3DSXL: matte.

Can you imagine what the N64 would have looked like if it had that piano black gloss finish? :spergin:

Been telling myself the same thing, that and the fact that I'm not paying for mine helps as well. Still debating which games I want to get, still have no idea.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kojicolnair posted:

Been telling myself the same thing, that and the fact that I'm not paying for mine helps as well. Still debating which games I want to get, still have no idea.

The only reason I'm pissed I didn't get the deluxe in time is that for 2 years I'm going to be paying more for my virtual downloads :argh:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

The only reason I'm pissed I didn't get the deluxe in time is that for 2 years I'm going to be paying more for my virtual downloads :argh:

I considered waiting and seeing if I could get a black one but I'd rather have one assured, plus I'll probably buy a lot of my games physically so I can sell/trade them in and stuff like that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kojicolnair posted:

I considered waiting and seeing if I could get a black one but I'd rather have one assured, plus I'll probably buy a lot of my games physically so I can sell/trade them in and stuff like that.

Oh I'm definitely buying everything physical, especially after seeing that I was "allowed" 4 more transfers of New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS, but I believe the discount for deluxe systems includes stuff you can't buy physically as well; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well it just says digital purchases so that would make sense. If those kinds of games aren't discounted my 10% will go to waste because gently caress paying MSRP for a digital version if every store discounts the physical ones by 10-20% on release day and even further down the road.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know if WiiU lets you install games to the hard drive. But doing so and running without a disc is enough for digital download to be worth it for me even if I can get better discounts on a hard copy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

If they can make websites that accept gamepad input, how hilarious would it be if something like Onlive did that? Or would Nintendo then immediately modify the browser to disable that.
That...might actually be possible depending on how the browser handles video playback. Basically just have a page with a live video stream of the service while accepting controller input to send to the server. If Nintendo had a problem I'd guess they'd do something simple like lock out the OnLive site so as to not screw everyone else over making Wii U specific stuff on the web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hasn't Onlive been dead for months now?

• Locked thread