Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

* Thousand Sons (Troops) (242pts)
(Deep Strike, Fearless, Veterans of the Long War)
Aura of Dark Glory, Inferno bolts, Mark of Tzeentch, 8x Thousand Son with Boltgun
* Aspiring Sorcerer
(Champion of Chaos, Psyker (Mastery Level 1))
Bolt Pistol, Force sword

:wtc:
Do Thousand Sons have Deep Strike now and I completely missed it? Or is this a weird mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

They don't have it, whatever he built the list with is wrong. It says Deep Strike instead of Slow and Purposeful. Also, don't use more than maybe one squad of Thousand Sons. They're bad.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Drop the havoc on the defiler since it conflicts with the battle cannon.
I'm curious, how does this function? I'm not really seeing any conflict here.

Second, would a gun emplacement benefit from the cover save provided by its own battlements? For example, would a Quad Gun sitting behind an Aegis Defence Line be sheltered from Battle Cannons and the like?

Also, re: twistedmentat's list, have you considered bunching the cultists into one squad? It means fewer scoring units, but also makes the cultists harder to wipe out or force to flee. Plus, you can either put the autogun fellows at the front to snap a few shots off before they die, keeping the more choppy cultists safe, or flip that around so that your foe has to chew through ten wounds before hitting your precious S3 guns. I'd also consider dropping the MoT on the cultists since it is, well, not really worth it. You can keep them without marks, and just claim 'uh, these guys think they are blessed by tzneetch, but they are really just dumb as poo poo.'

I'd also steer clear of the plasma pistol on any champion. You'll get maybe two shots with it all game if you are lucky, and can see thirty to forty points along with the squad's champion all go down the shitter if you are not. Nothing like frying your own pimped out Champion trying to kill a Guardsman.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How do you get a Multi-Melta for your tactical squad without springing for a box of Devestators (which are horribly overpriced in points, if I understand correctly). Bitz sites are about 8-9£ incl. shipping which seems a bit steep for a single weapon + backpack.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Also, don't use more than maybe one squad of Thousand Sons. They're bad.

:sigh: Well there's still hope for the HH book, right?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Infinite Karma posted:

Every CSM list was Obliterators and deep strike Termies.

Terminators and blits are still good. There's very little you have to change from a 4-5th ed to 6th ed CSM list.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

krushgroove posted:

Can I get some feedback on this list? Playing a 2-on-1 game against our DA player, who is very strong and likes Terminators and psykers (and sometimes armor if he wasn't so worried about lances). I'll be running the Hellions, Baron and Wyches and another player will be running the Kabalites and Incubi.

+++ 1500pt Dark Eldar 5th Ed (2010) Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Dark Eldar 5th Ed (2010) (Standard) Selections:

+ HQ + (220pts)

* Baron Sathonyx (105pts)
(Bones of the Seer, Fleet, Hit and Run, Independent Character, Master of the Skies, Night Vision, Power from Pain, Twilight Shroud)
Custom Skyboard, Hellglaive, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Shadowfield, Splinter Pistol

* Haemonculus (65pts) ---- with the Incubi for pain point
(Altered Physique, Independent Character, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
* Haemonculus (65pts)
Scissorhand (15pts)

* Haemonculus (50pts) ---- starting with the Hellions for pain point
(Altered Physique, Independent Character, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
Haemonculus (50pts)

+ Elites + (236pts)

* Incubi (236pts)
8x Incubi (176pts) (Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain), Klaive
* Raider (60pts)
Disintegrator

+ Troops + (740pts)

* Kabalite Warriors (170pts)
* Raider (70pts)
Disintegrator, Splinter Racks (10pts)
* 10x Warriors (100pts)
(Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
Splinter Cannon (10pts), 9x Splinter Rifle

* Raider (70pts)
* 10x Warriors (100pts)

* Raider (70pts)
* 10x Warriors (100pts)

* Wyches (115pts)
* Venom (55pts)
Flickerfield, Twin Linked Splinter Rifles
* 5x Wyches (60pts)
(Dodge, Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
5x Haywire grenades (10pts)

* Wyches (115pts)
* Venom (55pts)
Flickerfield, Twin Linked Splinter Rifles
* 5x Wyches (60pts)
(Dodge, Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
5x Haywire grenades (10pts)

+ Fast Attack + (304pts)

* Hellions (304pts)
19x Hellion (304pts) (Fleet, Hit and Run, Night Vision, Power from Pain)

This list looks super strong anti-troop - if he's mostly running infantry, this should put a hurt on him. However, it looks a bit low to me on anti-tank - if you're tailoring it to his army and he doesn't have a lot of tanks, your fine, but you may want to at least have one option with range. Also, I haven't used Incubi yet - do you really need 8 Incubi with the Haemonculi to put down the hurt? I always fear that the bigger the squad is, the higher target priority they become and then they tend to die quickly. But I haven't played with them in a long while. Don't forget with Baron as your HQ, the Hellions are Troops, not FA.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm curious, how does this function? I'm not really seeing any conflict here.
IF you fire an ordnance weapon you can only snap fire with your other weapons. Havoc launchers are blast weapons and may not snapfire. Thus you may not shoot both the havoc launcher and the battlecannon in the same shooting phase.

quote:

Second, would a gun emplacement benefit from the cover save provided by its own battlements? For example, would a Quad Gun sitting behind an Aegis Defence Line be sheltered from Battle Cannons and the like?
Yes

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fitret posted:

This list looks super strong anti-troop - if he's mostly running infantry, this should put a hurt on him. However, it looks a bit low to me on anti-tank - if you're tailoring it to his army and he doesn't have a lot of tanks, your fine, but you may want to at least have one option with range. Also, I haven't used Incubi yet - do you really need 8 Incubi with the Haemonculi to put down the hurt? I always fear that the bigger the squad is, the higher target priority they become and then they tend to die quickly. But I haven't played with them in a long while. Don't forget with Baron as your HQ, the Hellions are Troops, not FA.

Thanks for the feedback...you basically nailed it exactly right. The game was last night, and the Dark Angels had 4 tanks (Predator, Vindicator, Whirlwind and Land Raider in reserve loaded with Terminators). We killed all of his troops relatively early on, and had trouble taking out the tanks - the one we did wreck was done at the very end to give us a tie.

I'll post a full battle report because it was quite fun and tense, but yeah - in hindsight dropping one of the Raiders for another Venom of Wyches, and giving the Kabalites lances with the spare points would have been better...but we had no idea what the scenario would be or what the DA player would bring.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheBlobThing posted:

How do you get a Multi-Melta for your tactical squad without springing for a box of Devestators (which are horribly overpriced in points, if I understand correctly). Bitz sites are about 8-9£ incl. shipping which seems a bit steep for a single weapon + backpack.

Just buy the Devvie box, you get like 8 heavy weapons so you can have plenty of variety to put in your Tacs.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Played my first game using the 6th ed CSM book with daemon allies against Crimson Fists with Dark Angels allies. Rolled killpoints as the mission and managed a 9 point draw.

Heldrake and Plague zombies were the heroes of the day. The zombies managed to tie up 7 Ravenwing and 5 terminators for 5 turns! The heldrake with baleflamer was everything that the internet promised torching everything behind his aegis line. I managed to kill Pedro in a challenge with Typhus but it was an unworthy offering.

The thing I learned though was that rhinos operate very differently now. Not being able to assault, even if the vehicle is stationary, makes such a massive difference. However, the trick of moving the vehicle, disembarking the troops, Shooting with the troops and then moving flat out with the vehicle to screen the troops again is fantastic.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 9, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Cataphract posted:

However, the trick of moving the vehicle, disembarking the troops, Shooting with the troops and then moving flat out with the vehicle to screen the troops again is fantastic.

What's this? Do vehicles move in the shooting phase now or something?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

the trick of moving the vehicle, disembarking the troops, Shooting with the troops and then moving flat out with the vehicle to screen the troops again is fantastic.

Yeah, this is actually a pretty neat trade as far as 5th-to-6th changes go. Sure, you can't assault, but at least you get the option to spray them with every gun you've got and then set up a wall for defense to wait out the next turn.

Lungboy posted:

Flat Out is performed in the Shooting phase. A normal tank can move up to 6", disembark a unit, and then Flat Out another 6". You can roll 18" forward (12" Cruising + 6" Flat Out) with a Rhino now provided you're not going to shoot anything or disembark its contents.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

:wtc:
Do Thousand Sons have Deep Strike now and I completely missed it? Or is this a weird mistake?

Weird mistake with my catalogue that's been fixed.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Blimey, that's one to remember. Can they pivot and basically move as normal?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lungboy posted:

Blimey, that's one to remember. Can they pivot and basically move as normal?

It's essentially a "Run" for vehicles. It's even grosser for Fast Skimmers, which can move 12" and then Flat Out an additional 18" *and* benefit from a 4+ cover save when they do so.

And then if you're Anrakyr you use Mind in the Machine. :getin:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PierreTheMime posted:

It's essentially a "Run" for vehicles. It's even grosser for Fast Skimmers, which can move 12" and then Flat Out an additional 18" *and* benefit from a 4+ cover save when they do so.

And then if you're Anrakyr you use Mind in the Machine. :getin:

Mind In the Machine is start of movement phase so you can't flat out first.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 9, 2012

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Mind In the Machine is start of movement phase so you can't flat out first.

Aw, shucks. I guess I misremembered that. Ah well. Still cool.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That really does make Rhinos and other cheap transports much more useful. I'd been hearing 6th was essentially the end of them, but being able to unload a Noise Marine squad, shoot them, and then cover them with a hull which is expendable is very nice. Hmmm, might have to rethink my current plan which is to cover my Noise Marines with Cultists, as the NM can shoot through them quite happily without worrying about a cover save for the enemy.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

They do indead (as mentioned above). Also, when they are destroyed, vehicles are wrecked more a lot more often than exploded now. You're still going to have your cover and Line of Sight blocker, when the rhino is destroyed.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm guessing vehicles can't fire, even as snap shots, when they move flat out?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

I'm guessing vehicles can't fire, even as snap shots, when they move flat out?

You flat out instead of shooting so yeah.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

You flat out instead of shooting so yeah.

Cheers. I think i need to read the vehicle section a few times to see what else has changed. It's probably not a good idea to turn my CSM Rhinos into mini Razorbacks with loads of guns either if using this screening tactic.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Cataphract posted:

They do indead (as mentioned above). Also, when they are destroyed, vehicles are wrecked more a lot more often than exploded now. You're still going to have your cover and Line of Sight blocker, when the rhino is destroyed.

It depends entirely on what's shooting at that rhino. Stuff blow up all the time when you use AP1, and AP2 to a lesser extent.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So if you assault a vehicle without attacks and immobilize it, although you can be shot at in the enemy turn, you still get to attack it in the enemy turn, and then can move away on your turn. (pg. 76)

Am I reading that right?

This is a change from 5th ed. where you always bounced off an inch after assaulting, say, a Rhino?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
You never bounced off an inch in 5th, you stayed in base but weren't locked. If the enemy vehicle could move then it could just drive off, but if immobile you got a free round of assault.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Flat Out is performed in the Shooting phase. A normal tank can move up to 6", disembark a unit, and then Flat Out another 6". You can roll 18" forward (12" Cruising + 6" Flat Out) with a Rhino now provided you're not going to shoot anything or disembark its contents.

I thought you can't move a vehicle twice in a turn units disembark from it? Pretty sure you either move in the movement phase then disembark and sit still, or disembark then go flat out, but not both.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
"If the vehicle had not moved before the unit disembarked, the
vehicle can then move normally. If the vehicle had already
moved before the unit disembarked, the vehicle cannot move
further (including pivoting on the spot) that turn."

So it does still kind of work, but the passengers have to disembark before the tank moves so they have to get into position on the previous turn and survive to the next. Then the tank can stay nearby and flat out into position. Not nearly as useful i guess.

edit: for those like Richyp that are waiting for the FW legion command sets, they have just been released.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 9, 2012

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
New releases are out on the GW page. The Imperial defense network looks cool with the many options.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buffalo squeeze posted:

New releases are out on the GW page. The Imperial defense network looks cool with the many options.

UK only? Not up on the US site yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just wondering, but has anyone done a gift exchange for their group/club? I mention it because it's a pretty cool thing for my group, and we're all looking forward to get some new space toys!

One of our players (the aforementioned DA player) wanted to get me something for setting up our blog and getting the games together, so he's getting my a CSM HQ unit. I decided to pay it forward by offering to get something for our BA player, so he's getting something for our SW player, the SW player is getting a guy for our Necrons player and he's getting something for the DA player.

Hopefully we'll do the gift swapping next week, and then we have a month to get them painted for a big 'Christmas Hammerfest' that will be everyone against everyone, with rules like every warlord carries a 2-point objective marker, plus some crazy random rules that come into effect for a round and go away (or something random and fun).

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

UK only? Not up on the US site yet.

There's at least a video on their blogg thingy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod1770002a

How's this for a 1250pt Emperor's Children list using the apoc formation:

code:
Formation 100
--------------
Sorcerer 60
level 2 25
Sigil 25
VotLW 5
Doom siren 10

Dark Apostle 105
MoS 15

----------------
CSM 75
5 Marines 65
9 sonic blasters 45
Doom Siren 10
Autocannon -> Blastmaster 10
IoE 30
VotLW 10

Cultists 50
10 cultists 40
MoS 20

----------------
Chosen 90
4 melta -> doom siren 40
autocannon -> blastmaster 10
VotLW 10
------------------
Heldrake 170
Baleflamer free
-------------------
Havocs 75
4 Autocannon -> Blastmaster 40
VotLW 5

Predator 75
HB sponsons 20
HB -> sonic blasters, AC -> blastmaster free

---------------------
Do vehicles get to ignore the salvo half range rules when moving?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 9, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lungboy posted:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod1770002a

How's this for a 1250pt Emperor's Children list using the apoc formation:

code:
Formation 100
--------------
Lord 65
LC 15
PF 25
Sigil 25
Steed 20
Siren 10

----------------
CSM 75
5 Marines 65
8 sonic blasters 40
Doom Siren 10
Autocannon -> Blastmaster 10
IoE 30
VotLW 10

Cultists 50
10 cultists 40
MoS 20

----------------
Chosen 90
5 melta -> doom siren 50
VotLW 10

------------------
Heldrake 170
Baleflamer free

3 Spawn 90
MoS 9

-------------------
Havocs 75
5 Marines 65
4 Autocannon -> Blastmaster 40
VotLW 10
IoE 30

---------------------
I'm not sold on a mastery 2 sorcerer, and I'm not sure what the point of the DA is. Also was the 9th sonic blaster on the CSM there just to give the champion something to shoot with until he makes it in range for the doom siren? Anyway, at the end of the day, giving IoE to the Havocs seems like a good idea in your list because at the end of the day, they're non-scoring CSM with more guns, and giving them FnP seems like it'd be a good threat.

Given that the lord and the spawn are points-equivalent to the sorcerer and DA, that choice is up to you. I'm just not sold on a level 2 slaanesh psyker, because only rolling once for a non-Slaanesh power in this list seems like a bad deal.

e:

quote:

Do vehicles get to ignore the salvo half range rules when moving?

Yes. Vehicles are Relentless.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm not sold on a mastery 2 sorcerer, and I'm not sure what the point of the DA is. Also was the 9th sonic blaster on the CSM there just to give the champion something to shoot with until he makes it in range for the doom siren?

Yeah, the 9th Blaster was to give the champion something to do whilst standing in midfield shooting stuff. The DA is to babysit the cultists, otherwise they are trivial to run off the board. ML 2 is to try and make sure i get the spell that makes sonic weapons stronger, as it works for all my blasters, blastmasters and the boatload of doon sirens.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lungboy posted:

Yeah, the 9th Blaster was to give the champion something to do whilst standing in midfield shooting stuff. The DA is to babysit the cultists, otherwise they are trivial to run off the board. ML 2 is to try and make sure i get the spell that makes sonic weapons stronger, as it works for all my blasters, blastmasters and the boatload of doon sirens.

You only get one roll on the Slaanesh table at ML 2. "If the Psyker has a Mark of Chaos, or is a Daemon of a particular Chaos God, they must roll at least one, and may roll up to half, of their powers on the table that corresponds to their patron deity." pg. 70

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of sonic weapons:

I think the conversion can be done better, but that's the best idea I've seen using plastics.

source

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Ah. Bugger. Is it not worth the 25pts to get a roll on biomancy or telepathy then? Last game i managed to get Symphony of Pain and Endurance, which were fantastic.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Speaking of sonic weapons:

I think the conversion can be done better, but that's the best idea I've seen using plastics.

source

This looks awful, and I have no idea, why GW doesn't just make a sprue or some finecast of bits. They did it for the 40K2 weapons sprue, why not here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flying Guillotine posted:

This looks awful, and I have no idea, why GW doesn't just make a sprue or some finecast of bits. They did it for the 40K2 weapons sprue, why not here?

The wrist and tubing is perfect, though. You'd have to use a different arm rather than just slapping a tyranid arm on a space marine, and the actual gun body is terrible, but compare that to this:

• Locked thread