Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can do it with a diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll note that Audi doesn't sell the RS4 Avant anymore, either. It just doesn't make much sense.

Or the S4 avant, or the A4 avant (in the US)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BlackMK4 posted:

You can do it with a diesel.

Not a lot of 400 hp diesels that aren't giant trucks. Even BMW's new M550d, which has almost that much output at 376 hp, barely squeaks in at 30 mph highway when the euro mileage is best guess converted to a US equivalent.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I finally found the right shaggin' wagon.

I just picked it up last week with a bad head gasket and horribly slipping clutch, hopefully the new gaskets arrive in the mail tonight. It's a 5speed!! I was looking for an older one, but drat, I couldn't pass $900 5speed wagon!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cream_Filling posted:

Not a lot of 400 hp diesels that aren't giant trucks. Even BMW's new M550d, which has almost that much output at 376 hp, barely squeaks in at 30 mph highway when the euro mileage is best guess converted to a US equivalent.

The 335D with a JBD Tuner set to 100% makes around 310whp/500ftlb; consider like 15% drivetrain loss (who knows, ballpark?) - 362hp. People have reported returning same mileage as stock while highway cruising, and I've personally seen as high as 37mpg across a tank doing 80ish mph.

I'm not sure where you saw that the M550d barely gets 30mpg highway when official figures are

quote:

average fuel consumption: 6.3 litres/100 kilometres (44.8 mpg imp),
which comes out to 37mpg. It also dynos 350awhp... which firmly places it over 400hp at the crank.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jalopnik (I know) says the US is getting more BMW diesels, including a 3 series sport wagon.

:keke:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Phone posted:

Jalopnik (I know) says the US is getting more BMW diesels, including a 3 series sport wagon.

:keke:

:allears:

That would make me happy.

Yarbo
Jun 5, 2005
1990's shitastic goodness. Camping wagon/perpetual project.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yarbo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 7, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I saw an E63 AMG wagon today at the supermarket. I suspect other people were wondering why I was staring at a wagon.
The owner appeared to be a man of wealth and taste.

How many of those have they sold in the US anyhow? I suspect they're rarer than many Ferraris or Lamborghinis.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

I saw an E63 AMG wagon today at the supermarket. I suspect other people were wondering why I was staring at a wagon.
The owner appeared to be a man of wealth and taste.

How many of those have they sold in the US anyhow? I suspect they're rarer than many Ferraris or Lamborghinis.

Production numbers:
E 55 AMG Wagon

2005 129
2006 64

E63 AMG Wagon

2007 67
2008 62
2009 24

Who knows if that includes all markets though... definitely rare as rocking horse poo.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Yea, the E Class AMG wagons are very rare and still command a premium.

I was reading some article about them and Mercedes says that the target demographic for that car has an estimated income of something like $650,000+ :eek: Long story short, it's a car created for a VERY niche market, and each one now is custom ordered/made.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There seems to be a link between being crazy rich and wanting bespoke wagons. Didn't the Sultan of Brunei get Ferrari to throw together a few wagons, hatchbacks and shooting brakes?

Aren't a lot of Juke Rs going to Dubai?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There seems to be a link between being crazy rich and wanting bespoke wagons. Didn't the Sultan of Brunei get Ferrari to throw together a few wagons, hatchbacks and shooting brakes?

Like the S73 T AMG? A S-class wagon with the 7.3l v12 that older paganis use.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

GramCracker posted:

Premium is an understatement and a half. Last I looked, E63 AMG Wagon resale prices are up there with the likes of CLK AMG Black Series and 2x+ what the non-AMG wagons go for.

GramCracker posted:

I was reading some article about them and Mercedes says that the target demographic for that car has an estimated income of something like $650,000+ :eek: Long story short, it's a car created for a VERY niche market, and each one now is custom ordered/made.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Virtually every car marketing/ownership survey I've ever seen shows a direct correlation between wealth, education, and wagon ownership. Basically the more educated, wealthier, and "old money" you are, the more wagons you'll own. Mercedes sells the vast majority of their E-class wagons in New England, for example, with honorable mention to San Francisco and Florida.

One of my favorite such surveys was back from the AMC/Chrysler merger which showed the Jeep Grand Wagoneer having the wealthiest, best educated ownership demographic in the entire company.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 7, 2012

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

nm posted:

Does anything with 400hp get an EPA 30mpg, even HWY (under current method)?
Base model Chevrolet Corvette can do it real-world with the manual (taller 6th than auto, if memory serves).

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Tacier posted:

This was my first car, the 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. It packed a 62 horsepower engine and a stylish plaid interior. I miss it every day.

Those little Tercel SR5 wagons have to be one of my all-time favorite cars I've ever owned/driven, even after lots of interesting stuff over the years. The SR5 4WD wagon was an absolute institution in the upper midwest until every last one of them eventually died from rust and/or moon mileage. I wouldn't be surprised to see immaculate survivors go for serious coin in a few years at collectors auctions.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm a heathen but I much prefer the Corolla 4WD wagon. There's one here owned by a guy who uses it to tow his early Celica to rallycross.

Here's a JDM one I spotted at Princess Auto:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

blk posted:

I grew up in the rear-facing backseat of two consecutive Taurus wagons saying :whatup: to the cars behind me.

I grew up with 3 consecutive Taruses, though the 3rd didn't have a rear facing back seat :(

Also, everything started breaking shortly after 50k miles on the first two (mainly power windows and transmissions), sold the 3rd one at ~52k miles based on the patterns from the previous two. I'll see if I can find some pictures later.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GramCracker posted:

Yeah, my city has a lot of old (for California) money (my neighbor has a batmobile) and he headed off in that direction.
Mercedes wagons are very popular here, both new and bank vault era, but an e63 wagon, I think that is only my second sighting and that was probably the same car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Humbug posted:

Like the S73 T AMG? A S-class wagon with the 7.3l v12 that older paganis use.

Holy poo poo.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlackMK4 posted:

The 335D with a JBD Tuner set to 100% makes around 310whp/500ftlb; consider like 15% drivetrain loss (who knows, ballpark?) - 362hp. People have reported returning same mileage as stock while highway cruising, and I've personally seen as high as 37mpg across a tank doing 80ish mph.

I'm not sure where you saw that the M550d barely gets 30mpg highway when official figures are

which comes out to 37mpg. It also dynos 350awhp... which firmly places it over 400hp at the crank.

Oh god. That sounds incredible. This is my best/worst decision:

Dodge Magnum RT AWD. I think it might get 20 mpg if you towed it with a Prius and left the engine off.

Note: In the picture, there may be some dog.
Is it possible to magically convert a 16mpg engine/transmission setup to some more efficient futuristic modality, like in Back to the Future where you just feed it banana peels and budweiser dregs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Steve French posted:

Or the S4 avant, or the A4 avant (in the US)

And the B8 is auto only.

Here's my manual b7 a4

I had an e46 m3 before this and I like the avant better - so does my giant dog who fits comfortably in the back.

It's slow and doesn't get great mileage, but I like it a lot...when I get bored I'll probably dump a bigger turbo in it or something.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

havelock posted:

And the B8 is auto only.

Here's my manual b7 a4

I had an e46 m3 before this and I like the avant better - so does my giant dog who fits comfortably in the back.

It's slow and doesn't get great mileage, but I like it a lot...when I get bored I'll probably dump a bigger turbo in it or something.

Nice Avant. If you haven't had it tuned yet, get to your nearest APR dealer (or wait until their next sale, which happens about 3-4 times per year).

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

chrisgt posted:

shaggin' wagon.

I'm curious to know, how many of you have had sex in your wagon?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Zuiko-Digital posted:

There's two reasons I put the seats down in my Subaru. Bikes and campground lovin.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I have

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Not a day goes by that I don't miss it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

BlackMK4 posted:

Production numbers:
E 55 AMG Wagon

2005 129
2006 64

E63 AMG Wagon

2007 67
2008 62
2009 24

Who knows if that includes all markets though... definitely rare as rocking horse poo.
Those must be US-only numbers. I see AMG E-Class wagons fairly regularly and they're definitely not exciting enough for me to take pictures of (though maybe I should now?).

To confirm I just checked a big used car website and right now and there are 60+ E55 and 50+ E63 wagons for sale on that site, so while they are fairly rare, they are not exceedingly so in Germany. FD RX-7s or 240Zs are a lot more rare, for example. Or CTS-Vs wagons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TurboLuvah posted:

Not a day goes by that I don't miss it.

Nice looking car. I didn't realize they made these in manuals and wagons. MY GIRLFRIEND has an 2007 NA AT one and as a passenger there doesn't seem to be much leg room but I haven't driven it much. Might have to try to find a GT manual wagon...

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

DreamOn13 posted:

Nice looking car. I didn't realize they made these in manuals and wagons. MY GIRLFRIEND has an 2007 NA AT one and as a passenger there doesn't seem to be much leg room but I haven't driven it much. Might have to try to find a GT manual wagon...

The GT wagon in manual was only available in 2005. They are quite rare.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

DreamOn13 posted:

5MT Limited wagon, great combination. Best car I've ever sold.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

parrhesia posted:

Those must be US-only numbers. I see AMG E-Class wagons fairly regularly and they're definitely not exciting enough for me to take pictures of (though maybe I should now?).

To confirm I just checked a big used car website and right now and there are 60+ E55 and 50+ E63 wagons for sale on that site, so while they are fairly rare, they are not exceedingly so in Germany. FD RX-7s or 240Zs are a lot more rare, for example. Or CTS-Vs wagons.

Wagons in general are extremely rare. Fast wagons are even rarer. Fast wagons that cost as much as an R8 are rarer then hens teeth.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TurboLuvah posted:

5MT Limited wagon, great combination. Best car I've ever sold.

There's one 26 miles away according to autotrader. 8k seems cheap, but it has over 100k miles.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Zuiko-Digital posted:

If a 70 Caddy hearse counts as a wagon then I have, wasn't my hearse, though :ssh:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was checking my instagram feed the other day and I saw a picture of the Audi RS4 wagon that someone took. As I read the caption underneath it, it seems that it might be coming to the US finally. If this is true, then it's going to be awesome.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aspley/cars-vans-utes/rare-bmw-525i-touring/1009059272

Crossposted from Craiglist Gold, but if there are any other wagon afficiandos in Brisbane check out this beautiful black '94 525i Touring with under 100 thousand Kms for only $4500

:getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Parents had one new in exactly that spec. Underpowered, vague steering, then it blew a head gasket. Probably their least favourite BMW of all they've owned.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Parents had one new in exactly that spec. Underpowered, vague steering, then it blew a head gasket. Probably their least favourite BMW of all they've owned.

All that seems fixable now. :clint: ///M Wagon

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
The better half has one of these as a company car - a 2010 Ford Falcon BF wagon. One of the last, as they finally stopped production in 2010 to be replaced by the Mondeo wagon which by all accounts is a better car but has nowhere near the load or towing capacity (and its FWD...)

Our one is a factory gas (LPG) model which means huge range and cheap fuel (not that we pay for it as the company card does) but less power - a boat anchor 4 litre straight six in a 1700kg car makes this thing a slug. It does however have decent torque hence the towing ability- it will tow a double horse float (and horse) no problem.

The 4-speed auto is a horrible, prehistoric piece of poo poo (the 20 year-old Toyota A341 in my Soarer is a vastly superior box) and the driving position and handling is not exactly confidence-inspiring - its a boat - and the traction control feature is amusing since you'd struggle to break traction on wet tarmac even with it off.

Also the interior and build quality is pretty average, by my standards anyway.

It's one party piece however is its load capacity - while you can sleep inside most wagons on a camping trip, this one will take a full double-size mattress plus all your camping gear with ease. Aside from lacking an LSD it is a brilliant car for camping trips and despite its shortcomings i think we will miss it when its gone...

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

DreamOn13 posted:

There's one 26 miles away according to autotrader. 8k seems cheap, but it has over 100k miles.

I was looking at a GT Limited manual wagon but at $16k and 70k miles it was not going to work. Still wish I got the wagon, but the sedan version had fewer than half the miles and was $4k cheaper.

• Locked thread