Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Did they say it would be PG? Because the Watchmen stuff is labelled according to its content, so Hellblazer could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Darth Nat posted:

I guess it's time to just pack up comics and call it a day, because stuff like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, etc. has been running for way over 25 years.

I don't like superhero comics so your straw man fails on me :colbert:

Sandman ran for about seven years and was fantastic, but I don't think we needed another twenty years of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nail Rat posted:

Sandman ran for about seven years and was fantastic, but I don't think we needed another twenty years of it.

If we used that quota then we would not have gotten Ellis, Carey, Jenkins, Milligan or Azzarello runs on the title.

Also Hellboy has had some amazing stories and that has gone longer then 7 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renzuko posted:

Time for me to try and make the internet chose for me.

So, I have the first 2 collected versions of preacher, and the first collected edition of saga. I have already read preacher about 4 years ago, so my question is, should I consume preacher first or should I be reading saga as soon as possible?

Read Saga.

Also, if we're going to be pedantic then there's been a Sandman-universe title running almost continually since January 1989. Sandman ran from 1989-96, a couple of months after #75 The Dreaming launched and ran until 2001, overlapping with Lucifer which carried through until 2006. There was a break of a year or two, then House of Mystery ran from 2008-11.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Was Taters posted:

Did they say it would be PG? Because the Watchmen stuff is labelled according to its content, so Hellblazer could be.

I hope so. PG Constantine would be the worst thing to come out of this.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Nail Rat posted:

I'm just saying that setting some arbitrary run length and declaring that once x years have passed that all stories have been exhausted is silly given that people are still writing the character, and obviously fans are still interested in the character and his stories.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
I've been reading Hellblazer since 1990. A sad day. I hope he goes out with a bang.

So will continuity be retained when they shuffle Constantine over to the new 52?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a loving crime that the Jenkins run isn't collected in trades. I wish he'd gotten to do his real second run he'd wanted. He had a plan to extend John's life in a totally legit way that he and Berger were certain would not enrage fans. I'm betting it had something to do with his purged soul bits that he consigned to hell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

wildmamboqueen posted:

I've been reading Hellblazer since 1990. A sad day. I hope he goes out with a bang.

So will continuity be retained when they shuffle Constantine over to the new 52?

Does not sound like it. They make it sound that they are using the younger better John.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once
Hey, remember when John hosed over X?

Oh the good times we had. :negative:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The difference being that John is a mystical character and hand-waving his aging away with magic would get far less groans than with any other characters. Especially seeing as how this is a guy who tricked a loving demon into getting rid of his cancer.

That being said, for a mystical character, John's story arcs have had remarkably little bullshit compared to say, non-mystical characters like Spider-Man. Especially considering how long he's been around.

Not just a demon, the three lords of hell who he then flipped off after tricking them out of claiming his soul because he's just that big of an rear end in a top hat.

Nail Rat posted:

The difference being that Sandman was one story by one guy, and Hellblazer is a bunch of stories by a bunch of people who all set out to do different things with the character. Azzarello's run, with John basically just bumbling into really hosed up situations and becoming almost a bit player in whatever's going on, is a far cry from Carey's 41 issues about how John is basically a poison that kills everything he touches, no matter how he tries to help.

Issue 300 should just be a reprint of the last two issues of Carey's run. We'll never have a last caption as good as "Don't you loving believe it."

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 9, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dickeye posted:

Not just a demon, the three lords of hell who he then flipped off after tricking them out of claiming his soul because he's just that big of an rear end in a top hat.

The way in which Constantine shat on that scene bummed me out.

..oh god, oh god no, they're calling the new one Constantine so it'll tie into the movie, aren't they? :cry:

quote:

Issue 300 should just be a reprint of the last two issues of Carey's run. We'll never have a last caption as good as "Don't you loving believe it."

I was always partial to

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 9, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Guilty posted:

The way in which Constantine shat on that scene bummed me out.

..oh god, oh god no, they're calling the new one Constantine so it'll tie into the movie, aren't they? :cry:

Technically the comic has always been called "John Constantine, Hellblazer", but it's been shortened by convention.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
The more I think about it, the more I think they should kill John off in the last issue. Give him a proper ending, be it noble and selfless or just all of his past poo poo finally catching up with him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shameless posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think they should kill John off in the last issue. Give him a proper ending, be it noble and selfless or just all of his past poo poo finally catching up with him.

The only problem is when have seen that multiple times. It would be hilarious if it ends with him, Cheryl, and Epiphany living happily ever after.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't think DC really wants people considering the movie at all, considering how underwhelming it is. Like, being English is such a huge part of John's identity; the guy was written/created in part as a reaction Thatcher's England and how much of a hellhole it was. I'm sure the people behind the movie were just trying to make the movie have mass appeal, but honestly, they should have thought of that before they cast Keanu Reeves, of all people. And it's a bit telling that they somehow felt that Americans couldn't get behind a British protagonist, apparently having never heard of James Bond. Personally, I'd have cast Tim Roth as Constantine.

And who in the clunking gently caress thought Scott Lobdell was an ideal writer for the DCU version?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 9, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I don't think DC really wants people considering the movie at all, considering how underwhelming it is. Like, being English is such a huge part of John's identity; the guy was written/created in part as a reaction Thatcher's England and how much of a hellhole it was. I'm sure the people behind the movie were just trying to make the movie have mass appeal, but honestly, they should have thought of that before they cast Keanu Reeves, of all people.

And who in the clunking gently caress thought Scott Lobdell was an ideal writer for the DCU version?

That is a joke posting the real writer is Robert Venditti and Renato Guedes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Phew, that's a relief.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phew, that's a relief.

Well this is DC

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, I suppose it's really just a stay of execution until the sales of the DC version lag and they decide to put somebody like Geoff Johns on the book.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

I don't think DC really wants people considering the movie at all, considering how underwhelming it is.
Also it came out approaching 8 years ago now, and there's no sequel or reboot anywhere on the horizon.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Holy crap, I just finished the first collected version of saga and I am 100% hooked, now I technically have 3 series ongoing, fables, I'm waiting on the last volume of sandman's new edition's, and saga.

Any suggestion's on something new I can pick up while I'm waiting for more of my current series?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Renzuko posted:

Holy crap, I just finished the first collected version of saga and I am 100% hooked, now I technically have 3 series ongoing, fables, I'm waiting on the last volume of sandman's new edition's, and saga.

Any suggestion's on something new I can pick up while I'm waiting for more of my current series?

Well, since you're asking in the Vertigo thread, I might suggest the first 40ish issues of Unwritten, by Mike Carey and um, Peter Gross I think. There should be about 4 collected editions for that.

Are you looking for ongoing monthlies to buy or collections?

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Renzuko posted:

Lucifer's a worthy successor to Sandman, some of the trades can be a bit hard to find cheap though.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
So the latest Unwritten trade came out and is all up in my face reminding me that this is the best comic coming out today. I think Mike Carey is outdoing his Lucifer stuff. Although about Leviathan I'm not sure how I feel about Leviathan showing up as a tangible monstrous entity. It sort of demystifies it for me, which is kind of what happened toward the end of his Lucifer run which left me a little cold. And man I don't believe the sad thing that happened at the end of the War of Words arc is going to stick, but still my poor fragile nerd heart is breaking. Pullman is a total dick, gee whiz.

Was Taters posted:

Well, since you're asking in the Vertigo thread, I might suggest the first 40ish issues of Unwritten, by Mike Carey and um, Peter Gross I think. There should be about 4 collected editions for that.

Are you looking for ongoing monthlies to buy or collections?

The 6th one just came out which was the War of Words stuff, and yeah this person knows what's up, the Unwritten is pretty loving awesome.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I loved Lucifer but The Unwritten just leaves me absolutely cold and I'm unable to pinpoint why. The art not being up to Lucifer standards doesn't help either.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally, I'd have cast Tim Roth as Constantine.

Dominic West. Boom. Ever since I watched the Wire, he's been the only dude I can picture playing John now and forever.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Dominic West. Boom. Ever since I watched the Wire, he's been the only dude I can picture playing John now and forever.

"What the gently caress did I-- oh right. Everything."

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Anyone reading Saucer Country?
So far I like it, but it gets weirder with every issue.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Barbe Rouge posted:

I like it, but based on the comments by Cornell (ie, when he was on Decompressed a while back) I worry that it's just going to keep on going down the rabbit hole of weirdness and never actually surface. He certainly doesn't seem to have plans to "explain" any of it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

American Vampire is going on hiatus. My guess is DC is milking the poo poo out of Snyder and something has to give and to them, it's not going to be their properties.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/scott-snyder-american-vampite-hiatus.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Guy Pierce was the correct answer 10 years ago.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Barbe Rouge posted:

I like it because I love kooky UFO stuff, but there is something about the tone and pace that just doesn't feel like a Vertigo book to me. At all.

I don't claim to be an expert though, I've only been reading for like 2 years having taken a long break since the days of my youth, and I've only been reading Vertigo heavily for about a year.

Still, it feels like a regular DC title to me.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Karen Berger is stepping down. Welp.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, how long do we thing Vertigo is going to last?

Will The Unwritten and Fables finish out under the Vertigo banner, or is DC going to slap that weird peeling logo on every one of their books?

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Well looks like this is the end of Vertigo:

quote:

Karen Berger, Executive Editor & Senior Vice President of DC Entertainment’s Vertigo brand, has announced she is stepping down from her post after nearly 20 years at the helm of the award-winning literary imprint. She will remain on through March 2013 where she will be assisting in the transition to a new leadership team which includes veteran staffers whom she has mentored over the years.

From http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42478

Not really surprised after the Hellblazer announcement, I'm really looking forward to seeing what her new opportunities entail.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I'd follow Karen Berger anywhere. I think she's probably the most important woman in comics, and she's definitely been the push behind a chunk of my favorite reads.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Someone suggested that Sandman will be the last Vertigo title. I doubt that, but Fables aside, it's well on its way to becoming what Icon is for Marvel.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Barry Convex posted:

what Icon is for Marvel.

Yeah, this is almost certainly what will happen. Aside from Fables and The Unwritten, which are still chugging along nice and fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

What was the last Vertigo launch from a creator not doing WFH at DC? Dominique Laveau? Already cancelled, and I imagine that Saucer Country isn't long for this world, at least at Vertigo, now that Cornell isn't doing any WFH books there.

• Locked thread