Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The only moral abortion piracy is my abortion piracy.

(Link a source please, I love linking stuff like this on my Facebook.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

The only moral abortion piracy is my abortion piracy.

(Link a source please, I love linking stuff like this on my Facebook.)

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/verlag-will-gegen-illegalen-download-von-klick-mich-vorgehen-a-856370.html

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

My German is somewhat limited, but was it her or the publisher that had it removed? If it was the publisher, then her involvement may have been limited. Although, as a Pirate Party parliamentarian, you think she'd release it under a CC license or something, or reserve the right for a free online version.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's tricky. She sold the rights to a publisher (Random House), who had the link taken down "in her name". I know with music, publishers can't come after people who share it without the consent of the artist (at least in Germany), no idea how licensing contracts work for books though. It's save to assume that whatever contract she signed would have included "we will go after illegal copies", even if she didn't explicitly tell them to do so; either way it's hypocritical as gently caress, especially considering the content of the book.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
The thing is: she received a 100.000 € advance on her book. You can't take an advance like that on your first book and on the other hand claim that you are surprised that the publisher is going after illegal downloads in your name. I mean, where are the 100k supposed to come from, free downloads?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yea absolutely and just to reiterate on that, since I don't think I've made myself clear enough in my post: Either she explicitly told her publisher to go ahead and kill it (this is how it works with music publishing) or she implicitly did so since it was part of the standard contract she signed to make fat stacks. Either way it's bullshit and after reading up on it a bit more, she really does come off as a huge elitist as well as generally unlikeable person. Plus, the book is poo poo to boot.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
If she thinks the idea of intellectual property is "disgusting", slogging all the way through a 100.000 € contract by a big name publisher and then putting her signature under it must have been truly revolting.

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.
I guess she simply didn't think this through, like they always do in the Piratenpartei. I like some of their views and ideas, but sadly they aren't very well-conceived most of the time. Can't hurt to learn a thing or two about the real world here.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'd even go so far as to say that they promised her a CC-like license during talks, but then "forgot" to include it in the fine print. Maybe. I mean it's the publishing industry, it's not like they never hosed someone over.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

I'd even go so far as to say that they promised her a CC-like license during talks, but then "forgot" to include it in the fine print. Maybe. I mean it's the publishing industry, it's not like they never hosed someone over.

And that's why you don't sign a 100K contract without hiring a lawyer to look over it first. Although I wouldn't go as far as you. They offered her money to write a bunch of narcissistic drivel about herself, and she took it without caring about her Geschwätz von gestern. It's not exactly mysterious.
If she was unhappy with the way her publisher is handling things, she could have said something by now.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

Saw this article on Al-Jazeera today

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/10/2012103819182372.html

This refugee from Pakistan has been seeking asylum in Germany for SEVEN YEARS but is still getting the run-around. He even got a potential offer from the Deutsche Bahn, but the authorities wouldn't allow it because that meant he would have to do training first.

Of course this is just another example of subhuman Muslims refusing to integrate:

quote:

I am sure Hussein did not apply for a visa prior to entering Germany. Once in Germany, those bad Germans permitted him to stay. They also provided him with minimal support (welfare & housing). Germany, unlike the USA, is not made up of immigrants. Hence there is a general reluctance by many Germans towards asylum seekers. Not all are like Hussein. Many Germans only know about those asylum seekers who have turned to crime while awaiting their disposition from the German government. Germans are particularly concerned about Muslim asylum seekers as they know the political agenda of many of those immigrants. First you let them live among us, then they want a mosque, then they demand that we accept their customs and laws, etc., etc. Muslim immigrants, unlike any other group of immigrants, once settled in and secure, will usually try to force their host nation to accept Islamic customs and culture. Germans have no problems with immigrants as such, they are just opposed to having their German culture changed by the importation of Islamic culture and values. The same with France which made firm rules as to what type of head covering a female Muslim may wear, or Switzerland which will not permit the building of any mosque in their country. These European nations are not opposed to immigrants, just to the immigration of the Muslim or Islamic culture. Germany makes immigration extremely difficult, hoping that the asylum seekers will seek out another country to which to immigrate to. Germans also acknowledge that the German culture and Muslim or Islamic culture is not compatible, regardless of how much the Muslim immigrant want integrate. It is not only the language, but also Germany’s customs which offend most true Muslims. Germany is a very liberal society and happy about its liberalism. It will continue to have FKK beaches, drink beer and wine and do all the other unacceptable deeds which the Koran prohibits. Why then should it welcome people who openly are opposed to the German culture? It acknowledges its responsibility as a well to do society and country, but it will not roll out the welcome mat to Muslim asylum seekers. Germany just needs to look at Great Britain and how it is handling its Muslim immigrants. It does not wish to have the same problems in Germany. So unless you embrace western, German culture, which is incompatible with the Muslim culture and religion, Germany should not be the first country a Muslim chooses for asylum. Most Muslims should understand this reluctance as it is virtually impossible to build a church in a Muslim nation or try to preach the Christian religion. Germany is just trying to retain its national identity.

MY GERMAN CULTURE!

clownpenis fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 5, 2012

az
Dec 2, 2005

It's true, all of us hate all those terrible browns and other immigrants. That's why Germany is not an immigration country and there are no foreigners living here, zero.

edit: shame about the guy in the article but gently caress your strawman bullshit

edit2: lmao "learn from great britain in regards to dealing with immigrants", you mean vote bnp and white flight because of scary indians and pakistanis?

az fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 5, 2012

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Well do you find it fair that political refugees and asylum seekers aren't allowed to work and are kept in what amounts to prison cells?

az
Dec 2, 2005

niethan posted:

Well do you find it fair that political refugees and asylum seekers aren't allowed to work and are kept in what amounts to prison cells?

Me? Of course not, I'm far left, I have immigrants in my family and friends and a working sense of right and wrong. But the screeching hyperbole that some people display every time this topic comes up is ridiculous.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

niethan posted:

They are not allowed to work during their first year. Which is only necessary to prevent asylum seekers from being abused and exploited.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

az posted:

It's true, all of us hate all those terrible browns and other immigrants. That's why Germany is not an immigration country and there are no foreigners living here, zero.

Nor was I implying such.

az posted:

gently caress your strawman bullshit

My post was intended to contrast the content of the article as a human-interest story with the utterly horrible opinions some people have. If you feel offended, you can calm the gently caress down.

az
Dec 2, 2005

You may think that was a good use of sarcasm or satire but there are many people in the world and around here that actually believe what you said in earnest, we've had these arguments before, and with that in mind is what I replied to. As in, Germany is full of nazis, everybody hates immigrants and we're one step removed from going back a third reich style resolution. German immigration politics and everything connected to it is a very delicate and difficult topic that cannot be possibly displayed as a one sided, simple affair, and doing so is disingenous at best.

It's hard as a leftie to fight racists and bigots while you get shot in the back by people that don't know the reality of it and belief in ridiculous hyperbolic legends that seem to be passed around.

az fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 5, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It may say something about you if your first reaction to any problem in that direction being pointed out is to take it as a personal insult and throw a BUT WHAT ABOUT GERMANY'S IMAGE fit. Where's the crazy hyperbole? The article highlights a genuine issue that affects real people in the real world right now; the comment quoted above was in all likelihood written in earnest, and people who hold such views aren't terribly hard to find. I don't, however, see anyone here pretending that they're representative of absolutely every white German or whatever it is you're reading into clownpenis' post.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It may say something about you if your first reaction to any problem in that direction being pointed out is to take it as a personal insult and throw a BUT WHAT ABOUT GERMANY'S IMAGE fit. Where's the crazy hyperbole? The article highlights a genuine issue that affects real people in the real world right now; the comment quoted above was in all likelihood written in earnest, and people who hold such views aren't terribly hard to find. I don't, however, see anyone here pretending that they're representative of absolutely every white German or whatever it is you're reading into clownpenis' post.

"Of course this is just another example of subhuman Muslims refusing to integrate"
That's pretty good hyperbole right there. And I wasn't talking about the article re: hyperbole but the surrounding post. I have a hair trigger regarding this topic and as I said above, I considered the original post as in the same vein as all the clownshit I've had to deal with before in my life, on the internet and sometimes on these forums. It's also not about Germany's image it's about the complete misunderstanding of the situation(s) re: immigration/immigrants.

Before this turns into a page long discussion about my reaction to the thread let's just end that right here, we've cleared it up and everything is fine (except immigration policies).

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That reads pretty clearly as "of course some racist jackass in the comments knows what the real problem is:" to me, but it's probably for the best not to turn this thread into an argument about you, yes.

az
Dec 2, 2005

That reads pretty clearly as "of course some racist jackass in the comments knows what the real problem is:"

What now?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The part of clownpenis' post you objected to looked to me like it was intended to mean essentially no more or less than "wow look at the dumb comment quoted below, it is terrible that such opinions are so frequently found beneath articles discussing this general topic".

az
Dec 2, 2005

The part of clownpenis' post you objected to looked to me like it was intended to mean essentially no more or less than "wow look at the dumb comment quoted below, it is terrible that such opinions are so frequently found beneath articles discussing this general topic".

Oh, ok, yeah it may have been. I read your last post in a different way at first :allears:

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

The part I quoted was taken from the comments section of that article. Sorry, I probably should have made that clear.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What the gently caress, I got a letter from Rainer Brüderle today. It's partly "Germany owns", partly "the FDP is responsible for that". There's also a postcard asking you to become a "DialogPartner" of the FDP-Bundestagsfraktion. what the hell

Does that rear end in a top hat have too much money? It's not even election season.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Smirr posted:

What the gently caress, I got a letter from Rainer Brüderle today. It's partly "Germany owns", partly "the FDP is responsible for that". There's also a postcard asking you to become a "DialogPartner" of the FDP-Bundestagsfraktion. what the hell

Does that rear end in a top hat have too much money? It's not even election season.

Thanks to the Bundesländer it's always election season somewhere. And even if not, there's a Bundestags election next september. The FDP has it's back against the wall, current polls show them below the 5% threshold.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sereri posted:

Thanks to the Bundesländer it's always election season somewhere. And even if not, there's a Bundestags election next september. The FDP has it's back against the wall, current polls show them below the 5% threshold.

Well, my Land voted last year so that's probably not it. He must be getting really desperate if he starts sending out unsolicited "we're the greatest" poo poo 10 months before the election. Kind of... hilarious. :getin:

Noahdraron
Jun 1, 2011

God Loves Ugly

Smirr posted:

I got one from the NPD warning me about how the new airport will flood the streets with millions of brown criminals or something. :911: My Russian neighbors were slightly confused when they got the same letter explaining to them how immigrants are bad for Germany.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Not to resurrect the disagreement from more than a month ago, but it's really striking to me how self-critical Germany really is, especially in relation to the U.S. A lot of the world (Especially the U.S.) really does view Germany like this bit from Family Guy, Having just moved here recently, I see reminders of Fascism everywhere and never in a positive light. Dachau, Nuremberg, and even the top floor of the Audi Museum. If you tried this level of self-criticism of American atrocities in the U.S., you'd see your memorial or museum protested or burned to the ground as anti-American.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Germans are critical of everything though. And bitching is our favourite pastime.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Soap Bat Derby posted:

A lot of the world (Especially the U.S.) really does view Germany like this bit from Family Guy,

It's kinda cruel to post a link to a website that restricts content to the US in a thread where most people wont be able to see it :v:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Without having seen it, I guess it's:

Brian Griffin: Yeah, about your pamphlet... uh, I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There's just a big gap.
Tour guide: Everyone vas on vacation. On your left is Munich's first city hall, erected in 15...
Brian Griffin: Wait, what are you talking about? Germany invaded Poland in 1939 and...
Tour Guide: We were invited. Punch vas served. Check vit Poland.
Brian Griffin: You can't just ignore those years. Thomas Mann fled to America because of Nazism's stranglehold on Germany.
Tour guide: Nope, nope. He left to manage a Dairy Queen.
Brian Griffin: A Dairy Queen? That's preposterous.
Tour guide: I vill hear no more insinuations about the German people. Nothing bad happened. Sie werden sich hinsetzen. Sie werden ruhig sein. Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland. You will sit down. You will shut up. You will not insult Germany. [Throws his hand up in a Hitler salute.]
Brian Griffin: Uh, is that a beer hall?
Tour guide: [Snapping out of it] Oh yes, Munich is renowned for its historic beer halls.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Germans are critical of everything though. And bitching is our favourite pastime.

Seriously, listening to us you'd think not a single train in Germany is ever on time and we have rain all year round.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Seriously, listening to us you'd think not a single train in Germany is ever on time and we have rain all year round.

We're even being critical about us being critical!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ArchangeI posted:

Well, last time I took the ICE it was late by a whole minute. UNACCEPTABLE!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The constant reduction of German history to those loving 12 years annoys me to no end, as if there was nothing else to talk about.

Oh no, you can't say Autobahn, because!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

The constant reduction of German history to those loving 12 years annoys me to no end, as if there was nothing else to talk about.

Oh no, you can't say Autobahn, because!

I have never heard anyone criticize the Autobahn just because Hitler build a few (the project, like pretty much everything the Nazis took credit for, was started under Weimar).

While we are criticizing, the constant complains about being reduced to those 12 years are annoying as all hell. It was without a doubt the biggest event in German history (closely followed by 1870 and 1918) and has shaped pretty much all aspects of German culture ever since. You can say that Old Germany died on May 8th, 1945, and what followed was something only very loosely affiliated with what came before.

Also a reminder that today is the day on which Germany is historically most likely to have a revolution (1918/1989) and/or a major progrom. I wonder if Angie is sleeping well...

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ArchangeI posted:

Also a reminder that today is the day on which Germany is historically most likely to have a revolution (1918/1989) and/or a major progrom. I wonder if Angie is sleeping well...

Ah yes, "der Schicksalstag der Deutschen".

Fall of the Berlin Wall
Reichskristallnacht
Beer Hall Putsch
Proclamation of the Republic
Excecution of Robert Blum = beginning of the end of the march revolution

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ArchangeI posted:

It was without a doubt the biggest event in German history (closely followed by 1870 and 1918) and has shaped pretty much all aspects of German culture ever since.

Personally, I'd rate Martin Luther's 95 theses a lot more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

Personally, I'd rate Martin Luther's 95 theses a lot more important.

A fair point, but as far as the impact to modern Germany is concerned, I stand by my assertion. When people talk about "the war" they don't think about the thirty years war anymore.