Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not VHS, Betamax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Well, "origin story" is comic book speak for "this is where a certain character became a superhero/supervillain so I'm guessing Peter has completely gone to the dark side now.

...! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 4, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

...! posted:

Well, "origin story" is comic book speak for "this is where a certain character became a superhero/supervillain so I'm guessing Peter has completely gone to the dark side now.
He's the new Walternate. One hell of a family tradition to start up, that's for sure.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
But its ok, because we all know in the last episode ~love~ is going to save Peter from the dark side and make him a good guy again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I love when this show acts like Peter Bishop is a super cool dude. It's adorable.

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I love when this show acts like Peter Bishop is a super cool dude. It's adorable.

He's much cooler than Neo could ever hope to be.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Didn't September tell Peter in his mind-box that Etta coming to be was the important thing that drove him to interfere? If Peter does turn out to be the first observer maybe she was important because her death drove him to become so...though an observer killed her, so...my brain hurts :(

They did establish the idea of time loops several times including the season 3 finale, so maybe Etta had to die so Peter could become an observer so he could go back and keep this invasion from happening.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I just remembered today they did the "Peter becomes inconsolably homicidal" thing already back when he was shooting shapeshifters in the face without the proper Shapeshifter Killing License.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah LSD is easily on the eight rung of terrible television episodes. If it were live action it would have just been awful, but it was so badly animated that it was a struggle to watch. I hope I never lay eyes on that episode again.

I agree that the animation was terrible and unnecessary, but Broyles getting f'ed up on LSD was one of the best things I've seen on TV! His facial expressions were priceless.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

FrensaGeran posted:

I just remembered today they did the "Peter becomes inconsolably homicidal" thing already back when he was shooting shapeshifters in the face without the proper Shapeshifter Killing License.
Hey now, that was charity work! He was relieving them of the burden of their fingers :unsmigghh:

I would post that GIF but my Google-fu is failing me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FrensaGeran posted:

I hope this time there are actually some consequences for him becoming a serial killer.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

superjew posted:

Didn't September tell Peter in his mind-box that Etta coming to be was the important thing that drove him to interfere? If Peter does turn out to be the first observer maybe she was important because her death drove him to become so...though an observer killed her, so...my brain hurts :(

They did establish the idea of time loops several times including the season 3 finale, so maybe Etta had to die so Peter could become an observer so he could go back and keep this invasion from happening.

I'm not sure I'm following the Peter is the first Observer theory 100%, but here's my guess, and the "Peter is the first Observer" theory can still tie back into this one.

Etta was important because the Observer invasion was inevitable. The team needed someone in the future who would deamber them to allow them to continue to fight back. Etta may have been the only one still looking for him, Simon even says to her "The original Fringe team didn't vanish. They aren't missing. They died twenty years ago. They aren't coming back to save us from the Observers. They aren't in the desert or Peru, or immortal."

Had Etta not kept looking for the original Fringe team, they may have stayed in amber permanently, or at least not be released until it was too late (Such as after the machines are complete that would decrease the average lifespan to 45 years).

It may also be partially that Etta's death is what's going to drive the team forward, and her death is what drives Peter to take such drastic actions that he normally wouldn't take before.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Peter is the First Observer would probably work like how Caesar is the first Talking Ape in the original Planet of the Apes films. His parents come back in time from the future, give birth to him, which causes their society to be created. It's a closed loop.

Or how it's tech from the future Terminator--the chip--which makes Cyberdyne able to create Skynet in T2 which makes Skynet create that Terminator and send it back.

Peter will use tech from the future to become the First Observer, which will create their society.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 8, 2012

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I agree with the overall sentiment that this season has felt pretty disconnected to everything that came before and that is pretty disappointing. I wish they would have figured out a way to just continue the Universe A vs. Universe B stuff until the end. The last season not featuring any of the B-cast is a pretty big bummer too since we all came to really enjoy some of those characters.

End result is this is not a series that I want to own all 5 seasons of so I can rewatch it and notice new stuff. Going into this season I was hoping I'd be excited for a re-watch, now I don't really see the point.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Basebf555 posted:

I agree with the overall sentiment that this season has felt pretty disconnected to everything that came before and that is pretty disappointing. I wish they would have figured out a way to just continue the Universe A vs. Universe B stuff until the end. The last season not featuring any of the B-cast is a pretty big bummer too since we all came to really enjoy some of those characters.

End result is this is not a series that I want to own all 5 seasons of so I can rewatch it and notice new stuff. Going into this season I was hoping I'd be excited for a re-watch, now I don't really see the point.

13 episodes.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

der juicen posted:

13 episodes.

Yeah I'm still quite optimistic this can all tie together with everything. I mean it's Fringe, there's limitless potential with what they can still do with the characters. And I do understand why the B-side had to be put on the sidelines (at least so far) because they clearly cared about getting back to the core characters that we've been following the whole time. I think it's definitely a smart and appropriate move to scale down to the basics so it's assured these main characters meet a problem, struggle and evolve, solve it, and resolve.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm still not sure what they thought was going to happen with that wormhole collapse. They're loving time travelers. Other than that, I really enjoyed it and I'm jazzed as hell for tonight.

They honestly would have been better off just blowing up the shipment AFTER it got through. Or just firing a few of those into the plant. I bet a 100m hole in the middle would slow them RIGHT the hell down.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Echophonic posted:

I'm still not sure what they thought was going to happen with that wormhole collapse. They're loving time travelers. Other than that, I really enjoyed it and I'm jazzed as hell for tonight.

They honestly would have been better off just blowing up the shipment AFTER it got through. Or just firing a few of those into the plant. I bet a 100m hole in the middle would slow them RIGHT the hell down.

Yeah, but remember they aren't actually supposed to be doing any resistance stuff. They're supposed to be waiting for Astrid to burrow her way to the next thing, then go get what whatever that thing tells them to get. Then they put all of those things together and something will happen, or not.
Probably not, so the stakes can be raised even higher!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Peter sure is jumpy now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Observers have the Machine working for them! :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I figured there was something up with that mirrored layout, but that was odd.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So line dancing is the secret to entering pocket universes? Devious!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Tuned in a minute or two late, did anything happen before Olivia came into the room Peter was watching the hologram in?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kalensc posted:

Tuned in a minute or two late, did anything happen before Olivia came into the room Peter was watching the hologram in?

Brooding.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They should do more Walter walking around with a video camera.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
And of course he gets distracted by raspberry filling at a key moment.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Going to just pretend that it's Donald Sutherland, seems like he'd fit in well here.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
And then a jump to the riiiiiIiiIIiight!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Watching on a new tv. Its like I've never seen fringe before :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Fringe definitely looks odd in 1080p.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
ahhhhh it's all the glyphs

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Those symbols on the doors seem familiar.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
What??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mystery boy from season one!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
This pocket universe is not having a good effect on Walter.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I love when a show rewards longtime viewers

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
What if that Observer leader is that kid?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Observers really came out in force for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:ohdear:

• Locked thread