Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

I'm going to bid 1929 Pinky Whitney and 1910 Cy Young for 1910 Jim Delahanty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Ugh, now with Cronin out for the season, new lineups...

vs RHP
2B Rose
LF Speaker
C Torre/Martinez
CF Charleston
RF Robinson
1B Youkilis
SS Tejada
3B Ventura
P Pitcher

vs LHP
LF Speaker
1B Youkilis
C Torre/Martinez
RF Robinson
CF Charleston
SS Tejada
2B Frisch
3B Rose
P Pitcher

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Juan Gonzalez, Bob Elliot, Scott Downs, and Tommy Holmes for Killibrew.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
1974 Jimmy Wynn, 1967 Felipe Alou, and 1928 Ed Brandt for Guerrero.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Ryan in for Rijo, Schilling in for Vance, Vance to long relief.

I should really start carrying a bunch of first basemen for pinch hitters, since my righty platoon bats can't hit for poo poo.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 9, 2012

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Bench Lefty Williams. DL Greinke. I guess Bob Feller to second in the rotation, Appier to fifth, Irvin Sam McDowell in as long man.

I'm bidding LaMarr Hoyt for Jhonny Peralta and Ray Lankford for David Freese.

UltimoDragonQuest, are you still selling pitchers off your feeders? Anything interest you that I can spare?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Bid Barry Zito and 1 Ratings Challenge on David Freese
Bid 1 Ratings Challenge on Troy Glaus

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-Auction!

It is time to liquidate the Superstars. As a result, I am putting their remaining assets up for auction. Here's how the bidding will work:

-Any owner with a team, Expansion or Super-League, can bid, and can bid as many times as they like.

-Owners can bid anything they want, players, draft picks, whatever. But, they can't include the same players/draft picks in multiple bids at the same time.

-I will decide how much a bid is worth, and whether it is more than the current bid for a player.

-The Super-Auction will run for a few days, probably until the end of the week.

-Enjoy.

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '93 Juan Gonzalez, '48 Bob Elliot, '06 Scott Downs, '48 Tommy Holmes (TED)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (PHF)

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: '68 Jim Rooker, '04 Freddie Sanchez (WEB)
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid: '32 Estel Crabtree (WEB)
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid: '90 Gary Gaetti (WEB)
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid: '68 Dick McAuliffe (WEB)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '00 Barry Zito and 1 Ratings Challenge (CHO)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid: '84 LaMarr Hoyt (BUR)

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '64 Jackie Brandt, '68 Jim Northup (WEB)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid: 1 Ratings Challenge (BAR)
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid: '32 Andy High (WEB)
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
Current Bid: '74 Jimmy Wynn, '67 Felipe Alou, and '28 Ed Brandt (SJE)
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: '84 Joe Carter, '77 Andre Thornton (SJE)

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '55 Eddie Yost and 1 Ratings Challenge (DUB)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '64 Jim Bouton, '57 Frank Sullivan, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: '68 Les Cain, '04 Ryan Vogelsong (WEB)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '97 Derek Lowe, 2nd Round Dispersal Draft Pick, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '04 Russ Ortiz

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '89 Jeff Montgomery (RYL)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: '04 Salomon Torres, '04 Oliver Perez (WEB)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '64 Wes Stock, '64 Mike Mccormick (WEB)
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '74 Bill Buckner (SJE)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
Current Bid: '04 Jose Mesa (WEB)
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid: '32 Ownie Carroll (WEB)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 24 Injury Report

No New Champions except....

The Rockford Losers are the Vae Victis Division Champions of Super-League VII!

Poughkeepsie Superbas
Mike Napoli (C) (Sent Upstate to Live on Farm, where he can laugh and play with all of the other one-year wonders) - 8 days

Rochester Generics
Goose Goslin (LF) (Lake Effect Kidney Failure) - 7 days
Yogi Berra (C) (Lost on the Thruway) - 19 days

Rockford Losers
Kevin Youkilis (1B/3B) (Oscar Charleston grimaced, How much longer can I keep this up, he wondered, clutching the amulet on his chest. He had to admit, the wizard was right, the amulet did really work. Still, Oscar thought, at what price? He thought about earlier today, when he was practicing on the field before a game, and slipped and fell right on his throwing shoulder. He knew that it would keep him out for a couple weeks, the rest of the regular season. But thanks to the amulet, that wasn't going to happen. The magical talisman began to faintly glow, and the pain in Oscar's shoulder abruptly stopped. A few hundred feet away, Kevin Youkilis collapsed in agony, as his shoulder abruptly separated, Oscar could hear his screams all the way in center field. He felt a sharp pang of guilt in his stomach. He was responsible for this. No, no guilt, Oscar tried to sweep away the bad feelings, It was for the team. Youk is a good guy and all, but the team needs me. I did this for the team...) - 15 days

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Smasher, could you define "the end of the week" at all?

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

Wow I posted the wrong lineup... Oh well... :suicide:
Let's just get to the breakdown...

The Good

I didn't lose any ground...

The Bad

Why did I trust Furcal...Why?

The Ugly

My infielders do suck and I have to rest Chipper...

The Fix

Let's rest Chipper Jones replacing him with Mark McGwire at 3B
Also, rest Drew move Ennis to RF and LF replace with Canseco

:siren: Line-up :siren:

1. Ennis (RF)
2. LaRoche (1B)
3. Kingman (DH)
4. Giles (2B)
5. Granny Hamner (SS)
6. Ashburn (CF)
7. McGwire (3B)
8. Estrada (C)
9. Canseco (LF)

(Vs. LHP w/DH)
1. Ennis (RF)
2. LaRoche (1B)
3. Kingman (DH)
4. Giles (2B)
5. Granny Hamner (SS)
6. Ashburn (CF)
7. McGwire (3B)
8. Tettleton (C)
9. Canseco (LF)

Shadow gamer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Smasher, could you define "the end of the week" at all?

It's always been a ballpark figure. Besides if a I stretch it out a few more days, then I don't have to edit the rosters until the Gauntlet.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

CraigK posted:

In addition to my (86 OVR/95 POT) catcher Mitch Meluskey offer, I'm going to put someone likely to draw a little more trade interest.

Given that my team is likely to be out-UZRed by nine Fatheads glued to a cardboard backing, Felix Hernandez is getting destroyed pretty hard, and he deserves better than that, because he loving rules.. So I'm willing to listen to offers to pack in Mitch Meluskey with him to get back a drat good strikeout-throwing ace pitcher.

:siren: Don't be alarmed by the ERA at first! Given even an average defense behind him he's going to light poo poo up :siren:

It's going to need to be a kickass strikeout dude (at least 8 K/9) and either a 95 overall rating or a 98+ potential rating to get the both of them. To even get me talking about trading Felix, it's going to have to be a dude with a 90 OVR rating with a high K/9. I'm talking ace-for-ace poo poo here.

2012 Jered Weaver can be yours. I am also willing to throw in 2000 Ellis Burks or 2011 Justin Upton and will also add 2011 Miguel Montero

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Rockford Losers
Kevin Youkilis (1B/3B) (Oscar Charleston grimaced, How much longer can I keep this up, he wondered, clutching the amulet on his chest. He had to admit, the wizard was right, the amulet did really work. Still, Oscar thought, at what price? He thought about earlier today, when he was practicing on the field before a game, and slipped and fell right on his throwing shoulder. He knew that it would keep him out for a couple weeks, the rest of the regular season. But thanks to the amulet, that wasn't going to happen. The magical talisman began to faintly glow, and the pain in Oscar's shoulder abruptly stopped. A few hundred feet away, Kevin Youkilis collapsed in agony, as his shoulder abruptly separated, Oscar could hear his screams all the way in center field. He felt a sharp pang of guilt in his stomach. He was responsible for this. No, no guilt, Oscar tried to sweep away the bad feelings, It was for the team. Youk is a good guy and all, but the team needs me. I did this for the team...) - 15 days
:negative:

So who do I have on my roster that can cover 1B and isn't already covering 3B to bridge the week until Frank Thomas is healthy? Could I put O'Doul there?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

A couple more bids, which might not even surpass the current bids:

2011 Carl Crawford and 1919 Max Flack for Jesse Orosco

1919 Phil Douglas and 2005 Dan Wheeler for Andruw Jones

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ToiletofSadness posted:

:negative:

So who do I have on my roster that can cover 1B and isn't already covering 3B to bridge the week until Frank Thomas is healthy? Could I put O'Doul there?

Sometimes I feel like you guys don't have the same encyclopedic knowledge of baseball that I do.

Anyway, the solution is simple, Frisch takes Rose's spot at 3B/2B, Rose to 1B.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Why do you hate me Mogul?

Carter obviously starts full time and we'll put Finley in LF, let Mogul sabermetric its way on the lineup, I can't be arsed to figure it out for the week.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Sometimes I feel like you guys don't have the same encyclopedic knowledge of baseball that I do.

Well, the idea was to avoid having to use Ventura against LHP, but I guess with the division completely wrapped, it really doesn't matter.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Executive Decision time!
Today is my birthday, which means in the next couple of hours or so I will probably get quite tipsy and/or merry (two of the lesser known dwarfs). With that in mind, assume all bids I make tonight are a mistake, and don't confirm them 'till tomorrow please, thanks Smasher!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\ Happy birthday! Don't overdo the cider.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I hear that Tim Raines fellow makes a spiffy first baseman.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

ForeverBWFC posted:

Executive Decision time!
Today is my birthday, which means in the next couple of hours or so I will probably get quite tipsy and/or merry (two of the lesser known dwarfs). With that in mind, assume all bids I make tonight are a mistake, and don't confirm them 'till tomorrow please, thanks Smasher!

Happy Birthday. And don't worry you couldn't screw up the Bearers more even if you had full executive rights.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 23: Come For the Relegations, Stay for the lovely Prose!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

CULTISTS HAMMER CELLS 14-3 BECAUSE THEY CAN

Dunwich- The Cultists don't understand the concept of mercy.

The Norris-Smythe Division race is almost over, the Cultists have a 15.5 game lead over the Mathematicians with only three weeks to go. In all likelihood, they will clinch the division next week. Realistically, all they need to do is run out the clock and prepare themselves for a first-round test against the Finger Lakes Phoenixes. They certainly don't need to embarrass the Splinter Cells like this.

But they did. CthulhuDreams explained his rationale, "I did not appreciate the comments that cbx made about my treatment of his Splinter Cells in the Expansion Cup. He objected to zeroing out their wins in that competition. He should know that I understand the Super-League better than he ever will. He is just another old owner who stumbles into the league from time to time, belches out a 85-loss team, gets relegated, and then pops up again a couple of seasons later to vomit up another disappointing roster and so on and so forth. These ancient men, these cbxes and mrnouns and Angry_Eds, they do nothing for this league. They refuse to learn, they refuse to adapt. They don't deserve to win. But the worst of them all is Marauder. He has been coasting for many seasons now. He doesn't really draft well, as far as can be seen, he isn't very good at building rosters, all he can do is skim players off of the ignorant. Marauder has no skill, except that of con artistry! And it is past time that someone showed him that his bag of tricks are completely useless against my analytics! Come the first round of the playoffs, I intend to sweep his Phoenixes out of the playoffs as a warning that in this new age of the Super-League, my age, that only the truly intelligent, capable of building their teams on statistics alone, and setting aside emotional attachments, will survive."

cbx was then scheduled to give some remarks about his team's loss, but CthulhuDreams cut that off quickly, "There is no need to speak to cbx. He has nothing to say. Any excuses that he makes for his team is just a screen that he puts up to obscure the truth that the time of he and his ilk has passed. Any praise of my team is redundant given their performance today, and any 'character' work, perhaps him discussing his amnesia, or how some shadow organization has re-programmed him, or whatever schlock Smasher Dynamo has thought of this time would be wasted here, especially with the Cells' obit due so very, very soon."

Box Score

Don May posted:

MOOGLIES BEAT EMPERORS 1-0, CVE AND THE GOOG TRY AND KEEP IT TOGETHER

Boston- In a battle between two doomed teams, the Mooglies pulled ahead, for whatever it's worth.

By virtue of their one-run victory, fueled by a five-hitter from one of his Chief Benders, the Mooglies, well, they did not really gain a ton of benefit from it, as they still are locked into the middle rounds of the Gauntlet. The Goog was despondent, despite the win, and wearily noted that, "There is no way that I'll be able to bring the cosmic love across the universe into the superconsciousness of mankind. For seasons, I had dreamed of the day when I would unchain the hearts of humanity from the planet Earth, and set them free on the solar wind, where they could have drifted free of the cruel chains of gravity that drags the enlightenment of man down, down, down into the center of the Earth, where it is burned away by the molten core. How can set sail on the stars knowing that I have failed you all so?"

Fortunately, CVE, owner of the Emperors, arrived on the scene to cheer him up, "Friend Goog, you are taking this loss too hard. In this world, nothing lasts forever, and we must accept that sometimes even our most earnest ambitions must be discarded. If I may recite an ancient German proverb, 'Hast du etwas Zeit fur mich/Dann singe ich en Lied fur dich/Von 99 Luftballoons/Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont.' Roughly translated it means-"

Goog quickly interjected, "Wait a minute, wait a minute, isn't that the beginning of '99 Luftballoons'? Wait, but you would have known that too meaning that...wait, CVE, did you just make an unprompted joke? You must have, and if a German man can learn to use humor well, then, there's hope for all of mankind, isn't there? And if mankind can grow, then I can't give up on them! The Mooglies aren't dead yet, not by a longshot, we are going to go into the Gauntlet, and the power of our love, the power of every Googopolitan's love is going rain down on the Earth, creating a flood of cosmic love that will raise my Ark of Enlightenment right up to Super-League VIII!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

LANDERS CAPTURE TV TITLE WITH 11-5 ROUT

Moonbase 0-2- Last month, Jack McDowell was able to save the Eazy W's from getting swept by the Landers, saving the TV Title.

This time, the Landers had no intention of letting the Television Title slip through their grasp again, knocking McDowell out of the game early, and then feasting of the Eazy W's middle relief to pick up the 11-5 win, complete the three game sweep, and become the Television Champions.

McDowell, battered in the start, was philosophical, "No shame in being beaten by the Landers. I respect them, I respect their owner, and it's not like we were going to be able to hold on to the Television Title forever. We had a good run, and that's all we really could have hoped for."

mrnoun was slightly more bellicose.

"I want you to know something," mrnoun began, his brow furrowing, "This is just the first step. We're still not whole. Last season, the Bobbleheads marched into our stadium in the first round of the playoffs, and they took everything from us. A sweep of the series and even our Heavyweight Championship. Everything that we had spent an entire season building gone, in a flash. We were the better team, we deserved to win, but they moved on, and we were left to pick up the pieces."

"I know that a lot of you will say that the world is not fair, that it never can be fair. That the circumstances of a person's birth can overcome their merits as a human being. That Journey is remembered, and its songs used unironically in soundtracks and sporting events while King Crimson is forgotten. That the entire ouevre of Jethro Tull is reduced to 'Aqualung', That the Bobbleheads will continue to win, time after time despite having such a weak roster, that my teams will founder over and over again. And maybe that's true. But I'll tell you this: On the moon, justice will prevail. Maybe the Earth has turned its back on meritocracy, maybe it's more comfortable with the saccharine tones of pop-rock that doesn't challenge its preconceived notions about the nature of rock and roll, maybe the Earth is satisfied with the Bobbleheads winning another Senor Goodtimes Division title. But I don't live on the Earth anymore, and on the moon, we don't go in for that bullshit.

"I don't believe in that bullshit, but I believe in fate and destiny. It's not random chance that it just so happens that our final series of the season is against the Bobbleheads. It's not random chance that I'll be holding the Television Title, and they'll be holding the Heavyweight Title. It's not random chance that the winner of the series will almost certainly be the Senor Goodtimes Division Champions as well. Everything over the last two seasons has led us to this point. Three Games, Three Championships, all to be decided 240,000 miles above the unjust Earth. blakelmenakle, Mark Grace, you both know in your hearts that this is what must happen. So, I only ask that you do one thing for me: Keep our Heavyweight Title warm for us, because we'll be needing it back."

"Oh, and happy loving birthday, BWFC."

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

For whatever reason, Mark Grace has always been great in the Super-League, probably because the League tends to depress power numbers more than contact and patience, giving Grace a bit of an edge.

Analysis

The Thornton Lee should get one more run in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Actually, merging the Comancheros' pitching and the Radbourns' hitting might just work.

Analysis

I think you can blame just about all of your problems on men named 'Red'.

Analysis

Brave heart, Goog, brave heart!

Analysis

Lot of home runs, not a lot of anything else.

Analysis

Poor Tom Glavine, he finally has a good year in the Super-League, and the Juggernauts waste it.

Analysis

The Landers go 5-1 on the week, which is good enough to make up...zero games on the Bobbleheads, who also went 5-1.

Still, you've got the advantage of having a fundamentally more solid roster than the Bobbleheads which ought to keep you in the race.

Analysis

Sutton's healthy, although that's a note for the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Injuries killed the Cells, just like they killed the Original Riots. Coincidence? Well, yes, it is.

Analysis

Hold the line!

Analysis

Tragic.

Analysis

Two twenty-game winners with three weeks left in the season and, even more amusingly, they are the two pitchers you acquired from the Juggernauts. Come to think of it, I never did thank you for taking care of the Juggernauts for me.

Analysis

Bad week, but it's far past the point of mattering.

Analysis

One last push, you just need one last push.

Analysis

I'm not really sure how the hell your team was supposed to work in the first place.

Standings and Leaders

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

It's always been a ballpark figure. Besides if a I stretch it out a few more days, then I don't have to edit the rosters until the Gauntlet.

Cool, just wanted to make sure I didn't have to blow off work this afternoon for auction bidding so I could have a fun Friday night without ruining my pretend baseball team. :v:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Full disclosure: Due to an unfortunate series of events that resulted in the deletion of EC results, I've manually edited all the stuff that actually effects playoff standings back, and rectified the injury situation, but some displayed stats will be off. Also, I have now enabled the autosave fuction of BM2013, seriously, who doesn't have that on by default.

Anyway, running the sims now.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

(if I'm doing this wrong, tell me)

I guess I'll switch Bill Terry with Will Clark, Minnie Minoso with George Watkins, and Mel Ott with Candy Maldonado.

Everyone else will have to tough it out, I guess.

They don't need that much time off to recover from tired - a day a week extra or so is fine, so I just platooned Mel Ott (he hits righties) with Candy (to hit lefties only) so you get the most time with Mel Ott in your lineup, but he gets some rest.

Robert_Deadford posted:

Dagnammit...I ordered Jim Bouton liquidated and replaced with Derek Lowe!

Please, exchange Jim Bouton for Derek Lowe (from AAA).

Sorry, done this time.

CraigK posted:

Goddamnit, stop sucking, Felix.

Replace Felix with Dean Chance.

And what's up with Ausmus? I'm pretty sure he never hit above .390 with 2 homers at any point past high school.

I'm taking a look at Felix and Gio (different teams), they might be a bit better now - and Felix is DEFINITELY better than Cliff Lee!

quote:

e: Also I see Boog still rated 80/97, I assume I lost my challenge? I understand that his BABIP will normalize (indeed it seems to be doing so already), but I also think 80 is a low rating for a dude who can mash.

Ok challenge such as it is accepted. He's a bit better, but the reality is he's never gonna be great. Do seek a replacement in the ECD.

quote:

Lineup Changes For The Week
-Send down Hidalgo, bring up Brock and replace Carl Everett with him
-DH Alou for the week, send Allen to 3B and Bagwell to first base
-Send down Gutierrez and bring up Melusky, I'm riding that hot horse
-New Rotation is now Johnson-Gibson-Carlton-Lee-Chance

This has given me a new appreciation of why Smasher hates my lineup changes. Not that I'm going to stop mind you, but a new appreciation all the same.

quote:

Wow I posted the wrong lineup... Oh well...
Let's just get to the breakdown...

Mark McGwire is about as good at 3B as he as Jimmie Foxx is at catching. I don't think this a wise move, but if you wish to repeat this epic adventure, I'll do it.

However, can I suggest platooning LaRoche and McGwire at 1B? That would be a big improvement. LARoche hits .060 worse against Lefties, whereas McGwire hits lefties better than LaRoche hits righties and comes up with a bunch of extra slugging to.

Bloggers

Skips Lolich automatically, for future reference but I forced it!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

I want it stated for the record that, contrary to what I may have said in the post-game interview, I have no hatred in my heart for Journey as a band. In fact, there is a lot to love about Journey! I love Brad Delp's high-flying vocals. I love the catchiness of "More Than a Feeling." And I have a special place in my heart for the adorably Babby's First Prog of "Foreplay/Long Time".

They may be a guilty pleasure, but Journey are a pleasure nonetheless.

In other news, swap out the injured Nathan for Scott Williamson.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

EC Bonus Update

The prize the EC winner and the runner up is a pick of pre 1901 players in exchange for your 1st round draft pick. So to help inform your decision, I threw together a quick 4 team cup with the following teams under SL conditions. The results should help inform your decision.

The teams!

Chicago Skyhawks: Losing the series due to having 4 season ending injuries to position players in the first week, resulting in guys like Billy Jurges getting 400 plate appearances. Rotation: Grover Alexander, Nolan Ryan, Frank Tanana, Bill Donovan, Lon Warneke

Cultists: Yup. Rotation: as per the SL.

All Time Yankees: Basically the best yankees ever plus randy johnson because why not. Rotation: Rodger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Whitey Ford, Mike Mussiana and Andy Pettite. Won the series because it turns out that mantle, berra, ruth, gehrig, jeter and bernie williams combined for about a million home runs

The Old Timers: The Pre-1901 players you might care about. I'm not suggesting these are all the pre 1901 players you might care about, there are definately guys I've missed, but here are some guys. The bullpen is just filler because 1901 teams didn't have relievers.

The teams were all designed to have fierce rotations and decent defence.

Analysis:

The old timers have mixed defence. First thing: Sam Thompson isn't a 3B. That was a mistake.

Othrwise, the important thing is remembering: Positions where arm and range count, the Old timers are good at it. If a sure glove counts, the old timers are bad at it. Very, very bad.

As a pure catcher, Buck Ewing came in at -16.6 DRAA, which is bad but not terrible. Runners thrown out percentage? 92%.

Shortstops are interesting - Bill Dahlen is the 3rd greatest defensive shortstop of all time (according to win shares analysis, behind Honus Wagner and the Wizard of Oz), and played Shortstop for longer than anyone other than Old Aches and Pains and Honus Wagner.

Analysis:

None of the old timers have power. Don't expect anything. Therefor the intresting ones are ones who can get on basis.

For comparison, League Average .270, OBA .330, Slugging .408

Cupid Childs lead the team in walks with 89. Buck Ewing had 44.

Analysis:

Nothing unexpected

Analysis:

This is more intresting. These pitchers are great. Tim Keefe can strike people out, but Old Hoss might be better. Old Hoss and Clarkson were caught by Buck Ewing, the rest by King Kelly.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 10, 2012

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
:siren: Expansion Cup - June :siren:

NOTE: Due to technical difficulties not at all related to me being lazy, there will be no Games of the Month this update. Your baseball is boring, and meaningless. Yes, let's go with that.

ADDITIONALLY: Your overview screens show the schedule for the coming month, rather than the month that has just gone by. The past is passed; all that remains is to look forward.

FINALLY: Big thanks to Cthulhu Dreams for getting these to me. He's a lifesaver, even if our joint venture did fail miserably.

You've given Bob Brenly three months, now. Are you going to give him three more?

Wait, Riggs Stephenson can't hold up under the stress of a full season? Cthulhu, why didn't you warn him?!

Catalina 2 Fish, 1 Bubble

You have one hitter with an OPS above .700. That's, like, eight too few.

This Morse guy's pretty good. Good month for the Commies in general.

As long as Jose Rijo is your #2 starter, you will never go anywhere in the Super League.

Tim Raines has to be better than this. The rest of your team? Eh.

Flushing Flying Dutchmen

A lineup full of guys who slug better than they get on base isn't going to work out, as the 2012 Red Sox proved.

You really need to rest these sore guys, or the second half of the season's going to be worse than the first was.

You continue to have the Ted Williams that I thought I was getting when I traded half my team for him.

And here's the Jeff Bagwell I thought I was getting! The rest of this update will consist of me feeling bad for myself. ;-)

Norfolk Splinter Cells

They're killing everything. It's still better that you not see how.

Oneida Spooners

Nobody in your rotation is striking out more than four and a half batters per nine innings. I don't think that's going to work in the long run.

I'd say it's terrible that Jon Lester is wasting away in your minors, but it's not like you really need him.

What is it with you guys and putting the worst OBPs on your team at the top of the order? Stop doing that!

DICE is like FIP, right? If it is, then 7.06 is bad. Really, really bad.

Having six hitters with OBPs under .300 is a really good way to have a lovely offense despite having Babe Ruth.

When I looked at the source teams for this Expansion Cup, I liked the 2012 Angels a lot. Of course, I thought they would be getting the actual Mike Trout, and not this guy. Whoops.

Venice Beach Surf

Atrophy is hitting the Surf hard. At this rate Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw will be the least of his problems.

Look, Smasher, I'm sorry. I just post these things, man; it's not me! Please, don't take it out on me!

You won't really be worthy of being called the Bloggers until some hack sportswriter crafts a poorly framed argument against you.

STANDINGS!!!

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
What's this, a good month? :psyduck:

Pitching appears to still have issues, so Thornton to AAA, Clippard to setup, Sale to short relief, Ryan to closer.

Could we get back to including IP for pitchers? I like the change to more meaningful rate stats, but I'd like to know what amount of work guys are getting. That would help me pretend I know what I'm doing, somehow!

Lineup tweaks!

vs RHP
1. Brian Roberts 2B
2. Bryce Harper CF
3. Paul Konerko 1B
4. Roberto Clemente RF
5. Mike Morse DH
6. Ryan Zimmerman 3B
7. Willie Stargell LF
8. Miguel Tejada SS
9. Javy Lopez C

vs LHP
1. Brian Roberts 2B
2. Mike Morse LF
3. Paul Konerko 1B
4. Ryan Zimmerman 3B
5. Roberto Clemente RF
6. Melvin Mora DH
7. Miguel Tejada SS
8. Javy Lopez C
9. Jayson Werth CF

Edit: Oh, my prior lineup changes WERE taken into account and that's my DH/non-DH splits. Well, I still want Alexei Ramirez the gently caress out of his part-time leadoff spot if we're playing interleague...

Faustoan Bargain fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 10, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

re: Overview Screens - My fault guys, I've sent the missing update screens to the the_goog and hopefully he'll edit them in or I can paste them or whatever.

re: Rate stats. Annoyingly, I cannot customize what infomation appears on the screens. Do you want the rate view, or the counting view? Both would probably bog the thread down in a million images. As an interim, I will host the counting stats on LPix and you can check there.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 10, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

What the gently caress is Marcus Thames doing in my outfield? And was there an announcement I missed that moved everyone into a no-DH league?

whatever, new lineups I guess

code:
Lineups: 1. 2006 Placido Palanco, 2B
2. 1999 Jonny Damon, CF
3. 1999 Mike Sweeney, 1B
4. 1918 Babe Ruth, RF
5. 2006 Ivan Rodriguez, C
6. 2006 Brandon Inge, 3B
7. 1999 Carlos Beltran, LF
8. 2006 Carlos Guillen, 2B
9. Pitcher

Pitching Rotation: 1. 1918 Carl Mays
2. 1918 Bullet Joe Bush
3. 1918 Dutch Leonard
4. 2006 Justin Verlander
5. 1999 Kevin Appier

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pungry posted:

What the gently caress is Marcus Thames doing in my outfield? And was there an announcement I missed that moved everyone into a no-DH league?

Nah, I screenshot both the DH and no DH lineups, the_goog just posted the wrong one for your team!

Pungry posted:

Nah, I screenshot both the DH and no DH lineups, the_goog just posted the wrong one for your team!

Temporarily, the missing update screens!

Analysis

Your defense isn't quite as tragic as the guys behind you, but this one is going to come down to the wire.

Analysis

Yup.

Analysis

Great play and some luck (4 games ahead of your pythag) leaves you ontop - your defence is rancid but your pitchers and hitters are good enough to keep you in it.

Analysis

Unlucky, and those injuries hurt.

Analysis

Honus will do better.

Analysis

Deliberately tanking, and you're still beating babe ruth.

Analysis

You have a chance to get Ted Williams AND Babe Ruth on the same team.

Analysis

Start planning for the draft.

Analysis

The all star break should rest your guys, but can they survive until then?

Analysis

Your team is pretty good, your division is a nightmare.

Analysis

Some good luck, and your team is pretty good, but your division is a nightmare.

Analysis

Bad luck with the injuries, they might scupper your title shot. Don't lose to the woodchucks. Another pitcher would help.

Analysis

I hand the cultist's mantle to you. You are a lock for the playoffs and have the best record in the league. Prepare for a disappointing first round lost to a terrible team.

Analysis

Start planning for the draft. Josh Gibson is the obvious first pick.

Analysis

Plenty of time to challenge for this.

Analysis

Coming back is no impossible... but tough.

Analysis

I'm not sure you have what it's going to take to close it up with the Tornadoes.

Analysis

Needs more bats. One or two more hitters is all it takes to catch the tornandoes IMHO.

Analysis

Your divisional rival has a terrible rotation/defence. His hitters are better though, so this going to come down to the wire.

Analysis

Intelligent drafting and bidding will fix your team, probably.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 10, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Send Howell to AAA
Replace with Drysdale in Long Relief

vs. Righties

LF Johnson
1B Kelley
CF Speaker
RF Snider
SS Cronin
2B Stephenson
3B Sewell
C Bresnahan

vs. Lefties

LF Kelley
3B Robinson
SS Cronin
RF Snider
CF Speaker
1B Hodges
2B Stephenson
C Campanella

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Wow, what a loving awful two weeks. 8 straight divisional losses and two injuries.

Non-Existants Division Meat Grinder Update: the 4th-place team in Non-Existants would be in 1st or 2nd in every other division.

Also, anyone in the Orange League who is wondering why your hitters are all lovely: the league OPS is .677, so they may not be as bad as you thought.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Pungry posted:

code:
Lineups: 1. 2006 Placido Palanco, 2B
2. 1999 Jonny Damon, CF
3. 1999 Mike Sweeney, 1B
4. 1918 Babe Ruth, RF
5. 2006 Ivan Rodriguez, C
6. 2006 Brandon Inge, 3B
7. 1999 Carlos Beltran, LF
8. 2006 Carlos Guillen, 2B
9. Pitcher

Pitching Rotation: 1. 1918 Carl Mays
2. 1918 Bullet Joe Bush
3. 1918 Dutch Leonard
4. 2006 Justin Verlander
5. 1999 Kevin Appier

Pungry, I just wanted you to know that your infield is so terrible that it makes me question the purpose of doing the Super-League at all. Also, you have two second basemen and no shortstop listed. Fix one of those problems.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Put Sutton back in the rotation. Zito to long relief. Gallardo to Mars.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What exactly does it mean when a guy has a number after his rating?

For instance:
Steve Carlton (96)[1]
e: Injured? Is the EC not getting injury updates?

:siren:NEW LINUPS:siren:

CALL UP: Randy Valverde and Jorge Posada
CALL DOWN: Greg Maddux and Dave Cash

RHP
1. 1B Wade Boggs
2. C Thurman Munson
3. 3b Mike Schmidt
4. RF Greg Luzinski
5. DH Jorge Posada
6. SS Larry Bowa
7. LF Roy White
8. CF Bernie Williams
9. 2B Randy Valverde

LHP
1. 1B Wade Boggs
2. C Thurman Munson
3. 3b Mike Schmidt
4. RF Greg Luzinski
5. DH Jorge Posada
6. SS Derek Jeter
7. LF Roy White
8. CF Bernie Williams
9. 2B Randy Valverde

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 10, 2012

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

mks5000 posted:

What exactly does it mean when a guy has a number after his rating?

For instance:
Steve Carlton (96)[1]
That's days remaining on an injury.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Rest players as and when necessary. That goes without saying.

Roster Moves:

Exchange Mel Stottlemyre for Frank Sullivan in the rotation.

Drop the catcher (whomsoever that benighted soul is) to hit 9th in all line-ups with DH, 8th without DH.

And for the love of Jesus, somebody tell Smasher we don't really want David Cone anymore! We withdraw our bid! We're sorry! It's all our fault, what can we do to make it right? How about a Blingee'd picture of Snuffy?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

The Goog posted:

You've given Bob Brenly three months, now. Are you going to give him three more?

I'd greatly appreciate some elaboration, friend. What's wrong with Brenly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'd greatly appreciate some elaboration, friend. What's wrong with Brenly?

He has a .512 OPS (.232 OBP, .280 SLG). That's so bad that I don't know how to properly explain to you how bad it is, because I can't think of anyone who was that bad.