Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I have a recipe here that calls for "frozen bell pepper and onion mix". I've never seen such a thing in the store. I know it sounds self-explanatory, but how might I go about making it from scratch?

To clarify: what sort of onion:pepper ratio am I looking at? Finely diced, or coarsely chopped?

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

tarepanda posted:

Oh, two hours. I must have missed that, sorry.

Grilled pork chops with some kind of salsa-themed sauce?

I didn't mention it. Sorry!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Either maybe a mango honey or an apple honey salsa to go with it. Most likely mango, jalapeno, onion, bell pepper, tomato, cilantro, lime, and the local honey.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have a recipe here that calls for "frozen bell pepper and onion mix". I've never seen such a thing in the store. I know it sounds self-explanatory, but how might I go about making it from scratch?

To clarify: what sort of onion:pepper ratio am I looking at? Finely diced, or coarsely chopped?

What are the quantities of the other ingredients? Thats probably referring to those flash frozen veggie bags you get at Kroger and the like which usually have two or three cups of veggies. Can probably get by with a nice dice on a large onion and a couple of bell peppers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What's the difference between black and white truffle oil / butter? I want to make this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Parsnips-with-Black-Truffle-Butter-236379

Can I sub white truffle oil for the black butter it calls for?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's the difference between black and white truffle oil / butter? I want to make this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Parsnips-with-Black-Truffle-Butter-236379

Can I sub white truffle oil for the black butter it calls for?

You can, but start with a teaspoon of oil. Supplement it with regular butter.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Cyril Sneer posted:

What kind of recipe is it? You should know that bell peppers and onions are two veggies that turn really mushy when frozen fresh. That means that they will likely need to be cooked longer than frozen if you need to get rid of the crisp, crunchy texture of them for that recipe.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Tonight I am going to cook some bulk ground sausage to have with pasta. Every time I cook ground sausage, it ends up turning into more of a patty than the nice crumbles I'm looking for. Is there a trick to get results like that?
Cook in a stainless steel pot or cast iron. Get a metal spatula and knock that poo poo around. Go to town on your sausage. Show it you mean business? Patties? HELL NO! NO NO NO NO NO!

Crumbles just means you've whacked it apart with your stirring device while cooking it. It's not magic.

If you don't have a metal pot and metal cookware then you can do the same thing wooden utensils on non-stick cookware. Just whack the hell out of that meat to break it up into smaller chunks.

Met posted:

What's the orange rice called that you generally find at Mexican restaurants and does anyone know any good ways to produce it at home? Brands, recipes, etc?
It's "Spanish Rice" basically. Booya: http://mytastebuddies.blogspot.com/2009/02/restaurant-spanish-rice.html

Cyril Sneer posted:

One red and one green bell pepper to one large yellow onion. Onion gets a coarse chop, bell pepper gets seeded, sliced into strips and then you may want to cut the strips in half depending on what the final dish is. That should approximate the ratio you find in one of those bags of frozen veggies.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
This thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Psychobabble posted:

You can, but start with a teaspoon of oil. Supplement it with regular butter.

A teaspoon of truffle oil is way way too much. Just use the same amount of regular butter and add a couple of drops of truffle oil. You can always add more if it's not enough.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm making bbq style chicken tonight, boneless/skinless thighs and a breast for a whiney friend. Any input/comments on my base recipe?

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chile de arbol
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Let sit for an hour or two then braise with juicy goodness

Juicy Goodness:

1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons Cider/red wine vinegar (Thoughts on this? too much cider or no?)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
3 cloves garlic, chopped

The braise in the oven for an hourish at 225 or i'll stick my probe in and set it for 160. reduce the liquid, glaze and broil til cripsy bubbly good.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good Steak Mac & Cheese recipe?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
How do I get garlic flavors out of my granite mortar? Salt and vinegar? I'd like to use it for cocktails, blah.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I made Pho using a recipe that got really good reviews online. I did everything the way that they said to do it and it seemed to be going okay but now, when I taste it, it's really one dimensional. It's kind of like when you know that food needs salt and is so lacking but this is salty. It's missing the sweet spice hit that comes after the salty brothy taste.

how the gently caress do I fix this? I'm letting it sit right now. It has a poo poo ton of anise in it, I added more cloves, I added a bit more sugar... I just don't know where the second hit of flavour is.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

luscious posted:

I made Pho using a recipe that got really good reviews online. I did everything the way that they said to do it and it seemed to be going okay but now, when I taste it, it's really one dimensional. It's kind of like when you know that food needs salt and is so lacking but this is salty. It's missing the sweet spice hit that comes after the salty brothy taste.

how the gently caress do I fix this? I'm letting it sit right now. It has a poo poo ton of anise in it, I added more cloves, I added a bit more sugar... I just don't know where the second hit of flavour is.

How much fish sauce did you use? I find that if you don't add enough fish sauce the broth is really lackluster. I like to go really heavy on the cardamom, too.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

How much fish sauce did you use? I find that if you don't add enough fish sauce the broth is really lackluster. I like to go really heavy on the cardamom, too.

Thanks. I asked someone else and they said fishsauce, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

I think that I might have added too much water at first too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

luscious posted:

Thanks. I asked someone else and they said fishsauce, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

I think that I might have added too much water at first too.

I also use a couple star anise

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I also use a couple star anise

There is very, very much star anise in there. I'm going to add the fish sauce and brown sugar and then let you guys know!

Okay so I got the brown sugar, cinnamon, and added that and fish sauce. The good news: it started tasting similar to Pho. The bad news: in trying to 'make it right' I ended up messing around with it to the point that I stopped being able to figure out what was tasting like what. So I'm heating it up again, letting it sit, and then I'll try again.

edit:
I managed to get it tasting good. I'm letting it sit overnight either way. I accidentally broke the glass in my fridge though.

gently caress this Pho.

luscious fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 11, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Usually I do ginger, shallots, star anise, coriander seed, black cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seed, cloves, fish sauce and brown sugar. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but the complexity is worth it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

Usually I do ginger, shallots, star anise, coriander seed, black cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seed, cloves, fish sauce and brown sugar. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but the complexity is worth it.

The next batch will be better, hopefully. I put in ginger, onion, cinnamon, close, fish sauce, brown sugar, star anise, cloves, pepper... I don't mind a lot of ingredients. Spices make the world better.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What's your way of making stock? Specifically chicken?

I was talking with my mother and she suggested boiling a whole chicken and then using that water, as well as getting a meal out of the process. I also saw the process on the GWS wiki. But I was wondering is the whole chicken, or three carcasses really necessary? I would rather cut off the meat for using in multiple recipes, but three whole chickens is a bit much considering I am by myself and poor.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I use leftover bones. Roast a chicken, save the bones/extra skin/drippings/etc in the freezer. Typically I'll use two or three chicken carcasses but if I only have one and need stock, whatever. Just make a smaller batch. Keep the bones in the freezer until you have enough, it doesn't affect the flavor.

And don't boil, simmer. It's more like making a meat tea. Ideally there should just be a couple occasional bubbles and you keep it right on the line below boiling.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
On the topic of stock-making I have a whole bunch of frozen chicken gizzards that I've been too lazy to make into cat treats. Would it end up tasting weird if I throw them in with my chicken bones for stock?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

On the topic of stock-making I have a whole bunch of frozen chicken gizzards that I've been too lazy to make into cat treats. Would it end up tasting weird if I throw them in with my chicken bones for stock?

Not at all. Do it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
hearts and necks, yes. livers, no.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

luscious posted:

The next batch will be better, hopefully. I put in ginger, onion, cinnamon, close, fish sauce, brown sugar, star anise, cloves, pepper... I don't mind a lot of ingredients. Spices make the world better.

Did you char the onion and ginger? That adds a good depth of flavor. Use both fish sauce and salt as well, you don't want to use so much fish sauce that you taste fish sauce, you want just enough to give some savoriness and then after that, any additional saltiness needed should come from regular salt.

I also add the spices in two batches, at the beginning to flavor any meats I simmer in the broth, and then at the end of boiling the bones I add a second batch of spices. Since you need to simmer the bones for a very long time, I find that for whatever reason the spices have really dulled by the end and so after straining the broth I simmer some new spices in the broth for about half an hour.

Also, raw onion right at the end will really bring the flavor together. So when you prepare your bowls with noodles and toppings, don't forget the thin slices of raw onion. When the hot broth hits that, it will add that last flavor note needed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nasgate posted:

What's your way of making stock? Specifically chicken?

Roast a chicken for dinner. Freeze the bones and anything left over. Repeat until you have three carcasses.

I also save the little wing tips from when I make chicken wings.

You want three carcasses because it'll take the same time as one carcass but give you more stock.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Chemmy posted:

Roast a chicken for dinner. Freeze the bones and anything left over. Repeat until you have three carcasses.

I also save the little wing tips from when I make chicken wings.

You want three carcasses because it'll take the same time as one carcass but give you more stock.

I just did this last night and it looks like I made a pretty concentrated stock. Would it be unheard of to use it like a concentrate and add water to it to make it last a bit longer?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No. I do that all the time. I have limited space in my freezer, so I try and concentrate stock as much as possible, then dilute it later.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I just did this last night and it looks like I made a pretty concentrated stock. Would it be unheard of to use it like a concentrate and add water to it to make it last a bit longer?

You can make stock and then reduce it down to a pretty small amount then freeze it in ice cube trays. Once they're frozen you can just throw them all into a ziploc bag then add them and some water/booze/other liquid to a pan whenever you need stock.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

I (think) I screwed up- I made pumpkin creme brulee a few weeks back, and only needed 1/2 of a vanilla bean. Not knowing anything about using a vanilla bean, I sliced the thing in half, stuck the other half into a baggie, sealed it and stored it in my spice cabinet.

I'm about to make another brulee, but I'm thinking I screwed the bean up by slicing the pod in half and storing the pod already opened... is it safe to use, or should I use a fresh unopened pod?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Saint Darwin posted:

I like cilantro, lime juice, honey, garlic, olive oil, s+p

That sounded really good so I went out and bought some for some oven roasted chicken breast, and then I realized I don't have any clue what proportions to use. Ideas?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Does anyone have a link to the original spaghetti carbonara recipe from the thread from a while back? There's this recipe here in the GWS wiki but I remember the other one being a bit more step-by-step with tons of great photos.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Bluedeanie posted:

That sounded really good so I went out and bought some for some oven roasted chicken breast, and then I realized I don't have any clue what proportions to use. Ideas?

Give this one a try

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cilantro-chicken-10000001157819/

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Anyone have any good home made vinaigrette/other salad dressing recipes that will keep in the fridge for a week or two? Doing the gluten free thing and getting sick of the store bought stuff.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have a quick recipe request: I have a 2.5 lb hunk of top round ("london broil"), what's something interesting I can do to it beyond just slapping seasoning on it and throwing it in the oven?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Thanks. I know the flavors will favor grilling, but I'm still excited to taste how it turns out oven roasted.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

okay so I let the "Pho" sit overnight, cleaned the fat off the top, and am now letting it simmer with a new bunch of spices and fresh sliced onions. I tasted it before I added all that and it isn't bad. It wasn't what I was hoping it to be but for a first time it could have been a lot worse.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

I (think) I screwed up- I made pumpkin creme brulee a few weeks back, and only needed 1/2 of a vanilla bean. Not knowing anything about using a vanilla bean, I sliced the thing in half, stuck the other half into a baggie, sealed it and stored it in my spice cabinet.

I'm about to make another brulee, but I'm thinking I screwed the bean up by slicing the pod in half and storing the pod already opened... is it safe to use, or should I use a fresh unopened pod?

It's fine.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I was invited to my friends Thanksgiving dinner this year and he asked everyone to bring a dish to pass. Well the host can't consume gluten, soy, or dairy which takes away every ingredient I normally cook with. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or recipes for any dishes that would/could go with a Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Greens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Jetfire posted:

Does anyone have a link to the original spaghetti carbonara recipe from the thread from a while back? There's this recipe here in the GWS wiki but I remember the other one being a bit more step-by-step with tons of great photos.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2978332