Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I don't know about less fishy, when Murphy needs her anal glands expressed it smells exactly like rotten fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks for the help with the training stuff! Yeah, that's exactly how I kinda got the feeling the program was going to be, especially after seeing some of the questions posted in the APDT boards from ABC grads who were working with clients and asking some REALLY BASIC questions. Stuff anyone in PI could have spouted off a response to in a second. :ohdear:

I'm especially thankful for:

Skizzles posted:

If you're going to spend thousands you may as well spring for the Karen Pryor Academy.

:swoon: I TOTALLY wanted to do this program, and looked it up years ago but it wasn't offered in my area. They have a workshop based out of Chicago, now, though!!! I always liked the thought of this program a lot, and looking in to it more, seems way more where I would fit in. It goes on and on about how the program is meant for people that already have dog experience and a basic understanding of clicker training (with an intro program if you don't have those things), and they have referrals and you need to actually be accepted to the program. The ABC program just struck me as way too simplified. Now our big hurdle is going to be paying for it. It costs a lot, and as much as I would LOVE to start the program slated for February, we're just too broke. :( So that's the next thing to figure out...

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I swear to you these are the exact instructions I've used on these three other groomers and they have not worked.

I think this is your problem. Did you see each groomer only once? It's already been pointed out, but you really need to stick with the same groomer a few times to get it right, and you need to make sure you say the same thing you want, only reworded different ways to make sure it gets sunk in. Everyone has different opinions on what terms mean, and everyone has a different default as to what they do. You need to make sure you get on the same page, and the only way to do that is to communicate! You also might want to mention that you don't mind at all if too much is left (you can always cut more off, you can't glue it back on!) Also, DEFINITELY POST PICTURES!!! We might be able to point out ways you could clarify what you want or point out things you might never be able to have (for example, we have this lady with this BYB westy she just got... the thing has a long nose, huge ears, and the scraggliest hair you've ever seen, but she wants him in a show cut. :suicide: )

quote:

Would a groomer be irritated or offended if I asked to sit in while she does her thing?

Please don't do this. :ohdear: It's SUCH a pain when the owner is around because the dogs act nuts and you get super worried about doing anything because you don't want to seem mean and you're on the spot. Plus, honestly, they're going to think you're nuts and you'll be pegged as such no matter how long you're a client. Just the truth. :shobon: It's super understandable being worried, but shops are chaotic enough as it is without an owner hovering over you making sure you do your job right. (This message is for ANYONE out there in PI lurking land!! :argh: )

Hey, where do you live, anyway? Maybe one of us is close to you?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
^^^^^ I'm in Las Vegas. I only ever saw each groomer once because they've completely ignored my instructions, even after ten minute conversations. I'm not sure what part of "shape her butt and feet" means "shave her muzzle and ears." Unless these are standard practice and I'm just not into it?

The Big Whoop posted:

She was a rescue, correct? Show poms usually have much thicker coats (just look at Captain Foxy's Keeper). If she's originally from a BYB there's so much variety in coat texture and even face shape! Show us some pictures!

Brushing every other day is okay, you just want to make sure you're getting all the way down to her skin. What are you currently brushing her with? If you're not combing, you're not getting all the way down to the skin, and you're just hitting the top of her coat (assuming she is thick coated like other poms) if you don't have them already, I suggest a mat breaker and a metal comb as well. It happens all the time, where the undercoat grows into the top coat and causes mats.

I've been around Persian cats and other long-haired animals for about 30 years, so I'm old hat with the brushing. :) I use a metal comb on Bridget until she hates me (about five minutes) and follow up with a slicker brush for another ten. I get right down to the skin and she has never had mats while in my care. :black101:

These pics best illustrate her coat:

She's very smooth and silky.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 10, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oooooh!!! She's such a foxy little Pom!! :3: I LOVE the dogs like that!! Yeah, you're best ignoring anything about a "show" coat, show coats are rough and stand up on end and are thick and hard to comb and you're better off the way you are. :colbert:

I don't suppose you can get an rear end shot of her, could you? Standing, tail lifted? Hard to tell, but she might have the sort of butt that naturally divides in the middle, which could be hard to deal with. Do you like it fuzzed out like feathering, or do you like it tailored closer, the same length as the body? Do you like it round, or angled down, looking almost like pants? Do you have issues with poop getting stuck? These are all things you should think of and try to explain to the groomer. HAVE THEM REPEAT WHAT YOU MEAN. If something seems way off, you tend to get a red flag at that time. Also, like it's been said, tell them you don't want anything with the clipper, hand scissoring only! Even if you need to tell them not to shave the pads and privates (you can claim she gets razor burn, that'll keep them from getting over zealous). They should still be able to tailor the needed areas without a clipper.

Really, stress like crazy "less is more" and if you get her back looking the same, point out spots they could maybe take a little more, it should only take a second to snip a hair here or there.

I wish you lived near Chicago, I love doing poms. :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max wiggles too much so I can't do his toenails myself, and the groomer at Petco gave up after two feet because apparently he started chewing on her. Is this standard protocol? If so, what the crap do I do to trim his toenails?

(also Pistol is staying. I have decided. I can't give up on his freckly butt. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions over the past 48 hours or so. Max will learn to share.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Terra needs her anal glands done once every year or so. I've literally never smelt anything like it.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

(also Pistol is staying. I have decided. I can't give up on his freckly butt. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions over the past 48 hours or so. Max will learn to share.)

Please post more pictures of his freckly butt. And his freckly face, too. We just got power back on after 11 days of flood, cold and darkness following Hurricane Sandy and some adorable landsharks would cheer me right up.

(I'm glad to hear he'll be staying. We went through a rollercoaster of emotions too after adopting our beagle and discovering that he really didn't get along with Ginny too well. We've managed to make it work because we love them both so drat much, but they'll never be the best of friends.)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

WolfensteinBag posted:

I don't suppose you can get an rear end shot of her, could you? Standing, tail lifted?

I started giggling here. I am like, twelve years old. Maximum.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max wiggles too much so I can't do his toenails myself, and the groomer at Petco gave up after two feet because apparently he started chewing on her. Is this standard protocol? If so, what the crap do I do to trim his toenails?

Did the groomer have another person restraining him? Also try and see if he might take better to a dremel. Some dogs just hate the clicking noise the clippers make. I know several dogs that will act like DICKS when their owners are around for their nails, but as soon as the owner steps out they're angels, so see if you can find someone who will let you leave him there for a few minutes.

Every time you give into Max, he learns that he can bully you into not clipping his nails. Play with his feet more and more and give him some treats while you're doing it!

I'm glad you decided to keep Pistol. I know it's been rough for you but hang in there! It was totally not cool of her potential new owners to just drop off the face of the earth like that.

Rufus En Fuego
So glad to see you know how to take care of her coat properly! Wolfienstienbag's already said everything I wanted to say but better, so listen to her advice!

I've been working on an OP for an informative grooming thread, and could use another groomgoon to look over it. My email is canine.canis@gmail.com

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Teach Max to hold still. If Max is bothered by his nails being trimmed, then you can do the whole slow desensitization routine until he is comfortable enough to let you do it. If he's just being a wiggly butt, then teach him a Wait command. Maybe this won't work exactly the same with every dog, but with Psyche, I just capitalized on her stillness when I taught her leave it. She naturally was pretty focused on a treat if I told her to leave it and after she had leave it down, I installed a wait command whereby if she's doing something I don't want (like turning her head to see what I'm doing when I'm trying to get a tick off her neck), I tell her to wait and if she persists, the treat goes away. Obviously in the beginning I only asked her to stay still for very small periods of time. I don't even have to put the treat in front of her anymore, she knows it is being held hostage against her cooperation.

Also, not that a groomer has to do this, but if Max starts chewing on you (and you aren't in danger of being bitten), you show him that chewing or mouthing or whatever will ABSOLUTELY NOT get you to stop what you're doing. If Psyche mouths me while being brushed or whatever, I keep brushing in that same spot until her mouth is clear of me and she gives me a nice calming signal. Otherwise, she would resort to all sorts of things to get her way.

Good luck with Max and Pistol getting along. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He very well might. Kaydee and Amy rarely get snippy with one another, but it's an ongoing thing I get to watch to prevent. Normally they play great, but every now and then Kaydee runs over and humps her head or they just get way too overstimulated playing and all of a sudden Amy's brain explodes or Kaydee gets way too nippy at her heels and just... dogs.

So even when they're getting along, leaving them alone together's probably a bad idea (you probably already know that but I'm saying it anyway).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I can grab Max's feet all I want and he doesn't care, but as soon as I grab his foot with clippers in hand he's instantly in wiggle mode. His back feet feet are ticklish between his toes (I like to tickle his feet when he's asleep, does this make me a bad dog owner?) and that doesn't help. I get gnawed on the whole time I'm furminating him and that doesn't stop me.

I don't ever leave the dogs unsupervised alone in areas that cause fights (aka my bedroom) and they're okay together. I shut my bedroom door when I leave in case Pistol gets out of his crate. They were both attempting to sit on my lap at the same time with no fighting earlier, then they started a wrestling match and I took a dog skull to the mouth. I think I have a fat lip now.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My vets office does it for 25 dollars- they muzzle Bailey (because he's a mouthy little douche) and team clip him. Seems like a good deal to me.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Super made a youtube video about clipping dog nails. Anyone know the url for it?

VV: Oh I assumed it was still on your channel somewhere, if not nevermind~!

basically it was, get your dog in a wrestle hold and clip dog nails

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 10, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Kerfuffle posted:

Super made a youtube video about clipping dog nails. Anyone know the url for it?

oh god dont do it

I was taking way too much adderall and the result = videos about dog nails. Also was fat :gonk:

(lol i dont mind if someone has it whatevs :3: )

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

omg awesome. I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't wanna be all obnoxious and :byodame:deal with it:byodame: about dogs that don't like each other but I'm really glad you've decided to try to work on it. It sounds like they just had an argument that escalated and Pistol was a dramabomb about it, and it doesn't sound like it would take much work to fix if you can figure out what the trigger(s) were/are. If they don't like each other, you can always rotate (rotate Moses right now with 2 dogs he can't tolerate and Frankie who he can be around in limited, supervised situations) but that is a hassle and it's totally understandable if you aren't up for the work that entails- you got a dog who seemed to get along with your current dog and it's not liked you signed up for 2 dogs disliking each other to the point of having to be kept separate.

I do think they just had a fuss though and will get over it. Dawg arguments apparently freak most people completely the gently caress out though so jumping to "ohgod rehome him" is a pretty understandable reaction.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I was all "deal with it" when they'd argue till Max drew blood then I was all :byodame: AGH HE WILL EAT HIM.

I am not a seasoned dog person, these are my first doggies of my very own so I'm still trying to figure out how dogs work :shobon: I think they'll learn to get along, Max has attempted to cuddle with Pistol but Pistol gets all weirded out when Max is nice to him and he got up and moved and Max looked so sad. I also found out that Max will not enforce his arbitrary Dog Rules if he is actively receiving a belly rub when his Dog Rules are being broken. If I could find a way to find a way to give Max belly rubs all the time i'd be set.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In really random animal nonsense a Maine Coon named Hank came in third in the Virginia election for US Senate.

Such a shame. He was likely the most honest candidate in the race. And adorable.

Superconsndar posted:

2 dogs [...] and Frankie...

:saddowns:

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was all "deal with it" when they'd argue till Max drew blood then I was all :byodame: AGH HE WILL EAT HIM.

I am not a seasoned dog person, these are my first doggies of my very own so I'm still trying to figure out how dogs work :shobon: I think they'll learn to get along, Max has attempted to cuddle with Pistol but Pistol gets all weirded out when Max is nice to him and he got up and moved and Max looked so sad. I also found out that Max will not enforce his arbitrary Dog Rules if he is actively receiving a belly rub when his Dog Rules are being broken. If I could find a way to find a way to give Max belly rubs all the time i'd be set.

I was going to post something along the line of stick with it too, but didn't know your experience level. My GSD doesn't do well with some dogs and is overall picky abut dogs she interacts with, and from what you were saying about the explosions and the triggers it sounds very familiar to how she acts around dogs that she is introduced to very quickly. I would personally recommend going back and doing much, much slower introductions, take three weeks and really work on integrating Pistol into your home. A life less did a really great dog introduction write up that I plan to follow if we decide to get another ever, I think its in the dog training thread.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I can grab Max's feet all I want and he doesn't care, but as soon as I grab his foot with clippers in hand he's instantly in wiggle mode. His back feet feet are ticklish between his toes (I like to tickle his feet when he's asleep, does this make me a bad dog owner?) and that doesn't help. I get gnawed on the whole time I'm furminating him and that doesn't stop me.

I don't ever leave the dogs unsupervised alone in areas that cause fights (aka my bedroom) and they're okay together. I shut my bedroom door when I leave in case Pistol gets out of his crate. They were both attempting to sit on my lap at the same time with no fighting earlier, then they started a wrestling match and I took a dog skull to the mouth. I think I have a fat lip now.

Have a watch of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MO8fUpMGC0 It's much more pleasant to desensitise him to nail clipping rather than force him to put up with it as some people recommend. This especially applies if he gets mouthy.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Please don't do this. :ohdear: It's SUCH a pain when the owner is around because the dogs act nuts and you get super worried about doing anything because you don't want to seem mean and you're on the spot.
Why is visiting a groomer any different from visiting a vet in this regard? I mean most vets will invite you to stay with your animal and at least for me they always ask me to hold my dogs instead of asking for vet techs to do it. I was really surprised when the groomer who did Pi's summer clip said after she was done that Pi was a real handful to work on. Pi's the favorite of all the vets he's ever seen because he'll let them do pretty much whatever, including but not limited to digging a big shard of glass out of his paw pad with a needle without any sedation. He's even been invited to be a teaching dog for future eye specialists because he has cataracts and he's so very easy to work with. I kind of figured the groomer had trouble because I wasn't there.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I imagine it would vary from dog to dog. But I can understand why a groomer would be nervous having the owner hovering over them. And from what I gather it can take a while, so it's always been more of a drop off/pick up sort of deal.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Rixatrix posted:

Why is visiting a groomer any different from visiting a vet in this regard? I mean most vets will invite you to stay with your animal and at least for me they always ask me to hold my dogs instead of asking for vet techs to do it. I was really surprised when the groomer who did Pi's summer clip said after she was done that Pi was a real handful to work on. Pi's the favorite of all the vets he's ever seen because he'll let them do pretty much whatever, including but not limited to digging a big shard of glass out of his paw pad with a needle without any sedation. He's even been invited to be a teaching dog for future eye specialists because he has cataracts and he's so very easy to work with. I kind of figured the groomer had trouble because I wasn't there.

This is pretty much the opposite of what most dogs do. If their humans are around they will generally act up much more than they would otherwise, (in the context of a vet clinic at least).

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Lladre posted:

Sammie glanced over when I was looking at that Brussle Sprout puppy page and well, this is what happened.

http://youtu.be/bKq3g6JZPC8

It seems that Sammie is ok with catballs.

Rixatrix posted:

It seems your vet doesn't do it, but at the clinic I work at if we're doing any major treatments (bloodwork, nail trims, etc) 90% of the time we take the animal back away from the the owner. Even if they dog is perfectly fine with their owner hovering over them, most of the time the owners freak out and that subsequently freaks the dogs out. Also most of the time owners have no clue what they're talking about and they tell us what to do and they're usually wrong :geno: And yeah, most dogs don't do well with their owners in the room.

We do give shots in front of the owners, though.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 10, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I think this is another Euro/US thing. Over here, it's normal for the owners themselves to restrain their animals during minor procedures - I think in the US it's more common for vet techs to do the restraining and such.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I usually ask to help and ask that they do the procedures in front of me as long as they're fairly minor. It's not that I think they'll screw up and hurt my dog, I just like being involved and find it interesting. Usually when I explain I've interned at an emergency vet and nothing they're going to do is going to bother me after seeing animals with their insides exposed they're fine. The E-vet even let me restrain Angus while she took blood a few weeks ago when he drank so much water he screwed up his electrolytes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The only things the dogs have been out of my sight for at the vet are things that require anesthesia and xrays. There's never been a problem and with the danes they're usually happy for an extra set of hands. Kinda like my groomer. She works alone and she has a raised tub, so if I stick around to help out loading the dogs into the tub, she gives me like half off (and we both get drenched and I get to mock the danes the whole time they're getting bathed).

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Oh god, I got new pictures of my prospective puppy. And they already gave her the name I wanted to give her so now I feel committed or THEY'VE STOLEN MY DOG.

Her name is Emmy. :) Oscar and Emmy are pretty much the cutest wiener dog pair names.

fake edit: lol, ignore 1/1/2005. They likely did not know how to work the camera.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
For me, having the owner restrain or not is about safety. I've been bitten by a dog the owner was helping restrain because he thought letting go of the head was ok as long as he blew in her face to distract her. This was actually at a job interview; after I got bit, the vet I was with still gave the owner the option of muzzling the dog or not and he chose not. I decided I didn't really want to work there.

Aside from the safety of me and my techs, there is also liability. At least in my state, if the owner is injured while helping to restrain an animal, it's legally my fault.

I don't generally mind letting owners be there for small blood draws (heartworm tests we draw in the room, using leg veins) but if I'm using a jugular vein, I'd rather not have the client watching. It's just awkward and looks way worse than it is, but if I need a larger amount of blood, it's faster and keeps the leg veins nice for IV catheters if we need them. Nail trims, anal glands, ear cleaning, and sometimes foxtail removals we do in the room. Euthanasia, of course, we give the owner the option of being present, and some people want to and some don't. Even ultrasound, we have a small portable unit that we can bring into the room if the owner wants to watch. X-rays are a big legal thing due to radiation safety, and most people don't want to see their pet anesthetized or cut open or recovering.

I do agree that a lot of dogs are better behaved with the owner gone, but some are better with them there.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I always insist that we are in the room and that we be the ones to restrain Psyche. The first time we let a vet tech do it and it was far more messy and stressful on Psyche than it needed to be. Sure I could slap a muzzle on her and let them take into the back, but I don't see a reason to subject her to that kind of stress when it is unnecessary. Also, I know my dog best and the vet techs that tell me they're going to take her in back don't even ask up front if she has any behavioral problems. I could literally just hand them the leash and watch them get bitten before they even knew what was happening.

That being said, I understand not wanting to trust all owner carte blanche to properly read and restrain their dogs since most owners are stupid. Luckily our vet trusted us the second time and since then, they know us and the work we've been doing with her. Also, I default to using a muzzle even though I think Psyche could probably handle it and I would always say yes to a request to use a muzzle if the vet or vet tech was worried about it.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 10, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Kiri koli posted:

I always insist that we are in the room and that we be the ones to restrain Psyche. The first time we let a vet tech do it and it was far more messy and stressful on Psyche than it needed to be. Sure I could slap a muzzle on her and let them take into the back, but I don't see a reason to subject her to that kind of stress when it is unnecessary. Also, I know my dog best and the vet techs that tell me they're going to take her in back don't even ask up front if she has any behavioral problems. I could literally just hand them the leash and watch them get bitten before they even knew what was happening.

That being said, I understand not wanting to trust all owner carte blanche to properly read and restrain their dogs since most owners are stupid. Luckily our vet trusted us the second time and since then, they know us and the work we've been doing with her. Also, I default to using a muzzle even though I think Psyche could probably handle it and I would always say yes to a request to use a muzzle if the vet or vet tech was worried about it.

We restrain all dogs as if they're going to bite during blood draws and x-rays. It's just not worth taking the risk and assuming. A lot of the time the dog may have behavioral problems that the owner isn't even aware of. Lots of people like to say, "Oh, but they're so sweet!" and then you bring them to the vet and they're hell demons. Your dog is probably super sweet and cooperative when you're there, but a majority of the time it's not like that all.

Edit: Muzzles freak the owners out usually. They're all like, MY DOG IS MY BABY AND SHE IS THE SWEETEST THING EVER WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HER SHE CAN'T BREATHE OH MY GOD!!!!!!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsoape posted:

I think this is another Euro/US thing. Over here, it's normal for the owners themselves to restrain their animals during minor procedures - I think in the US it's more common for vet techs to do the restraining and such.
Yeah I suppose this is it. Also I think here the vet isn't to blame if s/he lets an owner restrain a dog and someone gets bitten, but the blame would lie with whoever hosed up the restraining. I've helped restrain my dogs for bloodwork, eye exams, X-rays, anal gland issues, sedation, vaccinations, cleaning wounds, digging out shards of glass from paw pads and a bunch of other stuff they've had done. I've never had problems and I've never been asked to leave because the vet needed to do something (surgery aside of course). Then again I have been asked to come in and help by a vet when she and a tech had trouble working on my dog on their own.

Vets aside, the groomers here, too, seem to think dogs do better without their owners present. Maybe it depends on the kind of dogs/owners groomers get as customers?

Kiri koli posted:

Also, I know my dog best and the vet techs that tell me they're going to take her in back don't even ask up front if she has any behavioral problems. I could literally just hand them the leash and watch them get bitten before they even knew what was happening.

That being said, I understand not wanting to trust all owner carte blanche to properly read and restrain their dogs since most owners are stupid.
Pretty much this. The groomer that clipped Pi just rubbed me the wrong way by first telling me to go away so my dog doesn't act out and then complaining how difficult my dog was to work on. He wouldn't have been had I been there, but you didn't even ask!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Rixatrix posted:

Vets aside, the groomers here, too, seem to think dogs do better without their owners present. Maybe it depends on the kind of dogs/owners groomers get as customers?

Virtually any kind of dog/owner goes to a groomer, so I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
So I know you guys are talking about restraining dogs, but do vets usually take cats in the back for basic procedures? My parents take their cats to a small one-vet clinic and my mom helps hold them for the majority of the exam including shots, and they only get taken in the back if they need blood work.

Meanwhile I take Indy to a large hospital-style practice and I'm only present for the physical exam and questions from the vet, then she gets taken to the back for temp, weight, shots and returned to me by the vet tech who did everything.

Personally I prefer it that way so she doesn't associate me with all those indignities - my old cat used to despise me and my mom for a day or two after going to the vet. She'd just completely ignore us in favor of my dad and not sleep on my bed like usual.

Anyway, I always assumed the difference was due to the contrasting size of the clinics and the number of vet techs on staff.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
It does depend a lot on the clinic. At the teaching hospital, almost everything gets done in the back. As a student, I would take the appointment, take the history and physical exam, and then take the animal to the back. There, I tell the clinician the history, my physical exam findings, etc. and they redo the physical. Then we go talk to the owner about any additional tests we want to perform, then we go back and do whatever's needed. Doing everything in the back is a bit easier since there's a lot of staff there to help, and it's also a good environment to teach students how to draw blood or do eye exams without the client right there watching them.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I go to a teaching hospital, and maybe because I let them know when we come in that Beck is fearful, I've always been the one to restrain her for things. The one time she had to be taken into the back for x-rays, they sedated her. She's never given a vet any trouble, but I'm really glad that they let me be involved in the process. She can go into a panic if she's not around me or someone else she knows well, and I want her to cause as little trouble as possible.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Wheats posted:

I go to a teaching hospital, and maybe because I let them know when we come in that Beck is fearful, I've always been the one to restrain her for things. The one time she had to be taken into the back for x-rays, they sedated her. She's never given a vet any trouble, but I'm really glad that they let me be involved in the process. She can go into a panic if she's not around me or someone else she knows well, and I want her to cause as little trouble as possible.

Same. When I had a really fearful dog, I tried to get vets to let me be the one to restrain him. He never got snappy or anything, he would just hit the ground the second I handed his leash to another person and refuse to move, and then would have to be dragged or carried wherever they needed him to go- and as soon as he was out of my sight, he'd sometimes urinate all over himself and would have a horrible drooling, shaking meltdown and it was really pitiful and stressful for him and it could be completely avoided by my just leading him wherever and holding him however they needed me to. I TOTALLY understand not wanting the owner up your rear end when you're trying to get stuff done to a dog, and I hated insisting I be there for everything, but the alternative was just so awful for him and so difficult for the vet/techs that it was better that way. I was always fine with it if they wanted to muzzle him (wasn't necessary, but I don't blame them for not taking my word for it and as long as I got to put the muzzle on him and take it off, he was fine) and I was never a baby about anything they needed to do with him, so hopefully I wasn't too bad. When he went in for his neuter they just put him on a doggie stretcher and carried him to the back. :haw:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
If we notice that a dog CLEARLY does better with the owner, we make a note of it and adjust accordingly. I think a large part of the reason why we bring the animals to the back for treatment is that our exam rooms are like closets. We have limited space and once you get 3 people in there it's pretty cramped.

Cats generally go in back except for vaccines. Cats get crazy and howl and frighten everyone.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Wheats posted:

Same thing for my fearful dog Loki (he has a lot of behavioral issues very similar to Kiri Koli's Psyche). I have always been very upfront with vets that he is very fearful, and while he has never bitten anyone, I have always told vets to use a muzzle if they were in the least bit worried. The only time Loki has ever snapped at a vet was when the idiot came up behind my very fearful dog and grabbed him around the throat to see if he'd cough :psyduck:. My dog flipped his poo poo and snapped at the vet. The vet was shocked that we didn't correct our dog for that kind of behavior -_- Mind you, this was after the exam was over and I have no idea why he did it ... needless to say, we don't use that vet any longer.

Luckily, the new clinic we go to is very gentle with him and they prefer that I hold him as long as it is a minor procedure. He tucks his head under my arm and waits til the bad, bad person goes away. The two times he has been restrained by vet techs, he's blown his anal glands, so yea ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've noticed the smaller the animal the less the vet would allow me to help. Guinea pigs and chinchillas? Vet techs all the way. Dogs? Taken into the back for procedures but I could hold him for physical exams and stuff. Horse? "Here you go ahead and hold him while we stab him with needles and shove things up his nose." I'd get to hand him off to a vet tech if he was being annoying and attempting to eat the clipboard while I was filling out forms, but I was present for everything but x-rays at the equine hospital and his actual surgery.

:shrug:

• Locked thread