Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ArfJason posted:

What I really want to know is why there's a sprite of Aradia smoking a huge blunt.

She is the Maid of Time and that time is 4:20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

ArfJason posted:

What I really want to know is why there's a sprite of Aradia smoking a huge blunt.

The same reason there's a sprite of Porrim doing the tongue-between-the-fingers thing. The art team is silly.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ArfJason posted:

That was made for the first Meenah walkabout, actually. (By the same artist who did all of Aradia/Damara's sprites.) It was later recycled into Damara's appearance in the third walkabout, along with the obscene tongue gesture. (Which was originally Porrim's. (Possibly :nws:))

fakeedit: RandomFerret has the real answer, of course.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 8, 2012

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Since we are bringing up that one theory blog I wana post the one I think is really cool and hope that happens.

Dirk’s unbreakable sword and the Matter of France

Dirk’s unbreakable sword part 2: AIs

Specifically, "Cloud has just put in that Durandal could end up being the AI AND a sword! We know Autoresponder has a captcha code because he’s part of the makeup of Pony Pals. Could you combine him with a bitchin’ katana to yield an unbreakable talking blade?"

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 9, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Since we are bringing up that one theory blog I wana post the one I think is really cool and hope that happens.

Specifically, "Cloud has just put in that Durandal could end up being the AI AND a sword! We know Autoresponder has a captcha code because he’s part of the makeup of Pony Pals. Could you combine him with a bitchin’ katana to yield an unbreakable talking blade?"

One issue with this is that admittedly, we still don't know the lifespan of a Sprite, and the latest update with John freaking out over an apparently imaginary Davesprite does have me just a bit worried.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

An AI with close mythological ties to a named sword? Yeah that's never gone poorly in the past. A grea̵t҉ ̴idea a͡l͏l ̴a̧round̶ le͡t's̀ ̛ma͜kȩ i͝t ͡h̀a͠pp̀en͡.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland cleaved the Pyrenees with Durandal, creating Roland's Breach. Bro-Dirk cleaved a meteor with his sword.

If the autoresponder becomes a sword, what will be its name? Durand-Hal, or Lil 'Dal?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Legend of Dirk: Skyways Sord. AR is already all about acting condescending and detached and irritating its owner to death with bullshit statistics.

snucks fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 9, 2012

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Okay, so, do we know what the thing in the bottom left corner of this page is? Maybe someone's SGRUB sprite pendant?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rose Spirit posted:

Okay, so, do we know what the thing in the bottom left corner of this page is? Maybe someone's SGRUB sprite pendant?

I think it's from some forum fan adventure. The Felt one, maybe?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Rose Spirit posted:

It was the medallion of the Mary Sue villain created by the dude who originally came up with the Midnight Crew. He was mentioned in some ancillary material (?) for the "canon" Felt adventure the guy was running before he threw a fit and the thread prematurely ended.

I figured that might have been something Hussie wished to forget, but the medallion showed up in the last third of the Meenah walkaround, which is... interesting.

One of the more Mary Sue-ish qualities of this guy's fan villain, if I recall correctly, was that even Lord English was afraid of him... hm.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Huh. Thanks for answering. I wish there was some sort of collection of all the fandom references, so that people catching up in the archives like I did (caught up just before Cascade) can get them all.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

snucks posted:

Legend of Dirk: Skyways Sord. AR is already all about acting condescending and detached and irritating its owner to death with bullshit statistics.

Wouldn't it be Legend of Jake? Or is Dirk the princess now?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

I suddenly want an end-game twist where there is a legendarily powerful two-syllable game class, the Princess, and all characters living and dead fight to the death in order to prove who is the prettiest princess of all.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It was the medallion of the Mary Sue villain created by the dude who originally came up with the Midnight Crew. He was mentioned in some ancillary material (?) for the "canon" Felt adventure the guy was running before he threw a fit and the thread prematurely ended.

I figured that might have been something Hussie wished to forget, but the medallion showed up in the last third of the Meenah walkaround, which is... interesting.

One of the more Mary Sue-ish qualities of this guy's fan villain, if I recall correctly, was that even Lord English was afraid of him... hm.

Professor Mayonaka?

This is the adventure being referred to, but MAN. I've read a handful of panels and it really smacks of villain sue. The good prof. is the leader of the Midnight Crew which he calls a yakuza organization. Here's a picture of the amulet. I'm thankful to the guy for creating the Crew, but thank god Hussie decided to ignore the majority of the background this guy made.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Not to derail or anything, but I just saw Con-Air for the first time. It was as glorious as I hoped it would be. Now I just need to wait a few years, watch it again, and become completely dumbfounded as to how I ever liked it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Triskelli posted:

Professor Mayonaka?

This is the adventure being referred to, but MAN. I've read a handful of panels and it really smacks of villain sue. The good prof. is the leader of the Midnight Crew which he calls a yakuza organization. Here's a picture of the amulet. I'm thankful to the guy for creating the Crew, but thank god Hussie decided to ignore the majority of the background this guy made.

Wait a minute, the Midnight Crew and the Felt are a fan creation or something? I think I must have missed something. Would someone mind laying out some backstory here?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

Wait a minute, the Midnight Crew and the Felt are a fan creation or something? I think I must have missed something. Would someone mind laying out some backstory here?

The Midnight Crew (not the Felt) were characters that a guy who goes by the online handle "Professor Mayonaka" used in some sort of personal roleplaying thing. Back during Problem Sleuth when Andrew was still doing donation suggestions, he gave him the information on their names and requested this: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/extras/ps000013.html

That led to the numerous other Midnight Crew donation commands that went on throughout Problem Sleuth. Andrew was so fond of the characters that he contemplated doing a full Midnight Crew adventure, and ended up incorporating them into Homestuck.

The Felt are Andrew's own invention to be used in the possible MC adventure, that he then used in the MC sections in the early acts and in the first Intermission.

The fan adventure by Professor Mayonaka was started right after the first Intermission ended. His claim was that as the creator of the Midnight Crew he was consulting with Andrew and that his fan adventure was canon. It's never been quite clear exactly how true this was - it's likely he did talk with Andrew a bit about his ideas and got some information of him - Lord English's depiction accurately showed the rotating pool eyes that had not yet appeared in Homestuck at the time. But he way overstated its canonicity and people kept calling him on it, as well as criticizing the poorly written and uninteresting story and characters. Ultimately he had a meltdown after the backlash of his introducing a character named Dr. Brinner (a running joke on the MSPA forums that's been referenced in Homestuck once) and closed it down.

He seems to have briefly tried to start it up again a few months later but I guess gave up after a few updates.

And now you know everything you need to about the history of the Midnight Crew.

Edit: To be clear - Professor Mayonaka is both the online handle of the guy who created the MC and the name of his self insert character villain thing in his fan adventure, and owner of the pendant that's now appeared twice in Homestuck.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 9, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Also now I'm totally expecting Calliope's return to involve Hussie somehow rewriting the Professor Mayonaka character, because he can't resist turning lovely ideas into hilarious ones.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I absolutely agree. I've always wondered why Andrew included the Mayonaka pendant back in the Intermission, and now that he's brought it back I'm almost certain he's got some plan for it. It's totally Andrew's style to take something really really bad and just run with it.

Of course I also thought back in the day that the Dr. Brinner envelope would have some sort of greater significance, but unless PM still has it, it's all blown up and long gone by now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Regy Rusty posted:

The Midnight Crew

Also, every MS Paint Adventure can be found at www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=X, where X changes depending on the adventure. 1 is jailbreak, 2 is Bard Quest, 4 is Problem Sleuth, 5 is the Homestuck Beta and 6 is Homestuck.

This is 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, that used to just lead to a blank template page, some sort of mistake that came about when he was setting up the site for Problem Sleuth. He added the bloody Ace to that page right when this Homestuck page went up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ariong posted:

Also, every MS Paint Adventure can be found at www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=X, where X changes depending on the adventure. 1 is jailbreak, 2 is Bard Quest, 4 is Problem Sleuth, 5 is the Homestuck Beta and 6 is Homestuck.

This is 3.

They don't have to be numbers, either. Don't forget RyanQuest, for instance.

The possibility of secret adventures is such a delightful one that it's worth pretending that they exist, sometimes.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Bongo Bill posted:

They don't have to be numbers, either. Don't forget RyanQuest, for instance.

The possibility of secret adventures is such a delightful one that it's worth pretending that they exist, sometimes.

If you pretend hard enough, it might become slightly less fake.

Actually isn't that the case with most things Andrew incorporates from fandom. They pretended so hard it became real.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Thanks for explaining. So the Midnight Crew are 'original' fan-fiction characters that have become canon while bearing only a superficial resemblance to the first guy's idea. That... that sounds like a potential legal mess. But I can barely understand copyright law, so whatever.

Joke option: Dr. Brinner will be the villain of the adventure game, who must be defeated before he shits up the plot too badly.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Professor Japanesename will be the bad guy behind the bad guy.
This is it, Homestuck's greatest enemy is lovely fan fiction characters.

It all makes sense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

His claim was that as the creator of the Midnight Crew he was consulting with Andrew and that his fan adventure was canon.

That's not exactly the case... if I recall correctly, he only ever claimed 'semi-canon', and that was along the lines of 'I have some info on the Felt from Andrew, but that's just off the top of his head'. Stuff like the Lord English pool ball eyes showed up there first, for instance, but the adventure is also a pretty clearly different from canon in many respects - this version of Spades Slick is an exiled version of the kids' Jack Noir.

Anyway... some of the less literate posters on the MSPA forums misinterpreted the comments about canonicity, the argument grew into a massive shitstorm with quotes getting mined out of context, and the entire adventure collapsed under the weight of the drama.

quote:

I absolutely agree. I've always wondered why Andrew included the Mayonaka pendant back in the Intermission, and now that he's brought it back I'm almost certain he's got some plan for it. It's totally Andrew's style to take something really really bad and just run with it.
Well, if it shows up a third time and ruins everything, you are officially allowed to blame me.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 10, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Wait, when did the pendant show up a second time?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

DontMockMySmock posted:

Wait, when did the pendant show up a second time?

In one of the walkarounds, it was in one of the chests. It doesn't even name it, which made it stand out to me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Comic posted:

In one of the walkarounds, it was in one of the chests. It doesn't even name it, which made it stand out to me.

To be more precise, it's in the third Meenah flash, in the chest on the wall above the room where Dave and Rose are. The description reads something like:

quote:

You found a... What the heck is this thing? Well whatever it is, it's yours now.

Now, the spriter included the pendant as a gag addition. Hussie decided to include it on his own, for whatever reason.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 10, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Triskelli posted:

Hussie decided to include it on his own, for whatever reason.

Possibly to give fans something to discuss while they wait for the next flashy update.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Speaking of which, tomorrow is the big 11/11! Did Hussie manage to finish something, or did his hands fall off signing all those prints?

If we do get something, though, we might get to see the rest of the kids' lands. :toot:

Or...Caliborn/Calliope's land. :confuoot:

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Color Printer posted:

Speaking of which, tomorrow is the big 11/11! Did Hussie manage to finish something, or did his hands fall off signing all those prints?

If we do get something, though, we might get to see the rest of the kids' lands. :toot:

Or...Caliborn/Calliope's land. :confuoot:

I'm hoping to see an opening flash featuring the adventures of sawtooth and squarewave in the incipisphere

I guess since we're going to be rejoining the B2 kids soon, we're going to get a glimpse at their planets. I really hope that the fan theory of them all being named after noble gases and death-related things turns out to be wrong - after so many cool randomised planets, introducing not one but TWO thematic links would be very boring.

Besides, I want one of the kids to have a wild west themed planet so there's an excuse to use dapper dueling in a flash. Fingers crossed for Land of Mines and Xebecs (throwing a little pirate theme in there as well)

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Rooreelooo posted:

Besides, I want one of the kids to have a wild west themed planet so there's an excuse to use dapper dueling in a flash.

The Land of Hats and Dust :clint:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
If that's the case then Roxy will hopefully wind up with Land of Tequila and Kahlua.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

To be more precise, it's in the third Meenah flash, in the chest on the wall above the room where Dave and Rose are. The description reads something like:

Now, the spriter included the pendant as a gag addition. Hussie decided to include it on his own, for whatever reason.

What would be hilarious was if the description was accurate, in that Hussie knew it had appeared before, but really had forgotten what it actually was.

(Which would be unlikely as hell, given how well he tends to remember all the tiny, insignificant details in the story without even using notes.)

Rooreelooo posted:

I'm hoping to see an opening flash featuring the adventures of sawtooth and squarewave in the incipisphere

I'm hoping for that.
Also kind of hoping they get prototyped.

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Huh seems Treestuck hasn't completely vanished.

Tagged: treestuckart, I'm gonna read in a few days dont worry, stinks for people who dont read the tags.

friendlyNeurotoxin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 11, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but the person who does Calliope's art for the comic has been doing godtier commissions (in the same style) to save up money.

She seems to be churning them out fairly quickly, but the commission slots fill up just a quickly, so you'd need to keep an eye on her tumblr to get one.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So I found a new liveblogger. He's a bit like ManvsHomestuck except less overtly angry and way more pretentious. He loving hates Dave for some reason and he's already complaining about too much time bullshit just from the the kid/troll chatlogs and the package delivery.

He just started the intermission. :getin:

oh and if that wasn't enough he says poo poo like this

English Romantic poet, John Keats posted:

“So don’t change the dizzle, turn it up a little
I got a living room full of fine dime brizzles
Waiting on the Pizzle, the Dizzle and the Shizzle
G’s to the bizzack, now ladies here we gizzo

When the pimp’s in the crib ma
Drop it like it’s hot
Drop it like it’s hot
Drop it like it’s hot…”

totally sheltered upper class black dude posted:

So this is what feeling progressively stupider feels like, no wonder most black people aren’t getting anywhere, they’re dumbing themselves down with this rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So I found a new liveblogger. He's a bit like ManvsHomestuck except less overtly angry and way more pretentious. He loving hates Dave for some reason and he's already complaining about too much time bullshit just from the the kid/troll chatlogs and the package delivery.

Looking at this line he seems pretty similar to the majority of readers;

quote:

I come in for one reason and one reason alone, those orange horned imps you call troll and their existence I will unfold.

His writing style is... interesting.