Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

Man, it's not been a good time lately for you for rats, is it? :smith:

Yeah, they're all roughly a year and a half old though, so tumors aren't a huge surprise. A brain tumor was, but I can deal with more or less "normal" ones.
Still, $300 to have both removed, or $400 if I can't bypass having them examined. I'm learning just how quickly they can rack up vet bills. :psyduck:
Trying to see if I can get a slightly better deal or some sort of payment plan.

Also your mice are super adorable. How is socializing them to people compared to rats? Are they more or less shy than hamsters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yeah, they are money-milking factories. It happened with my mice, too; once one decides to suddenly get ill, they all get ill (except mice are more retarded and my girls all just up and died within like 2 months) :mad:

Shop around for different vets/prices, maybe?

I just have one mouse actually, the other critter in the pix is my Mad Moxxi rat. Her and Wheatley were pretty curious about each other (Wheeks loves all the rats and would be in their cage with them if he could--he doesn't know that they would probs kill him immediately).

Mice are, in my experience (a pet shop girl a couple years ago, four show breeder girls, and a pet shop boy) loving idiots, compared to rats. They forget you really quickly unless you have them out basically every day. Lots of mice don't enjoy handling at all. They tend to be way more neophobic than rats, not sure how they compare to hamsters. Mice kept together are unlikely to play or interact much at all except to steal food from each other or bite each other. They are dumb and stupid but really, really cute.

I will never have mice again tbh :shobon:

E: My friend's rat died last night. :(

Fraction fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 9, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Sorry about your friend's rat. :(

So I'm keeping both of my rats with obvious tumors in isolation. And I happened to put my arm near their cage to feed the other rats, and well.

Jasper no that is is my jacket. :mad:

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
No matter how much food I put in the bowl in front of the boys no one will eat until I hand them something personally. Seriously, they just stare at the food and come running back to me like, help me out here bro.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Fraction posted:

How do you attach the fleece to your trays? Or is it just laid flat on the bottom?

Sorry about the delay, it's all attached to the cage with Velcro! If they were more destructive I would think about using the holes in the trays to hold the fleece down. But it's working fine so far.

DSCF1084.jpg by GreyishOrange, on Flickr

DSCF1072.jpg by GreyishOrange, on Flickr

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
ANYWAY, I'll make the new updated thread tomorrow. I got rat pics and a buttload of mouse litters to post. :3:

Greyish Orange posted:

Sorry about the delay, it's all attached to the cage with Velcro! If they were more destructive I would think about using the holes in the trays to hold the fleece down. But it's working fine so far.

Greyish Orange posted:

The capped dumbo looks almost exactly like a rat I hand raised from a couple days old years ago. :3: Cool Rat.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Superconsndar posted:

ANYWAY, I'll make the new updated thread tomorrow. I got rat pics and a buttload of mouse litters to post. :3:
Don't forget to link it here for us lazy bitches, please and thank you.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
~2 weeks on and their coats are getting better and they are turning into little chublets. I think Amy is a texel but Daria is just a longhair?

Amy

Daria

I am a mice I will sit in the food and poo poo and eat at the same time. :downs:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Greyish Orange posted:

Your rats are adorable :)

I've got newspaper lining at the moment, but man I can't see fleece working for mine. They constantly try to drag the paper around/remodel, so I'll probs just stick to bi-weekly cleanings with newspaper. Works pretty well v:shobon:v

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

~2 weeks on and their coats are getting better and they are turning into little chublets. I think Amy is a texel but Daria is just a longhair?

Amy

Daria

I am a mice I will sit in the food and poo poo and eat at the same time. :downs:

Their coats are definitely looking better! I dunno ~mouse coats~ that well but they sure as hell ain't short haired :v:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Fraction posted:

Ha, 2 hours sounds about right. Did you like the instructions??

Oops slow reply. Actually thanks to your warning it was quite fun, like a challenge! Laugh or cry at those instructions I think.

Apple has got really fat so I'm really glad they can run around in this huge cage to get exercise. They have a wheel but she only uses it to hide in/behind :saddowns:. They're on a diet now. Over the last 6 weeks Blackberry has been plateaued at 330g, but Apple has gone from 350g to nearly 390g?!

Here's Apple eating a treat, I hope she enjoyed it since she won't be getting any more of those until she stops being a big fatty fat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7hBCevNzU

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Not as good a deal as we got but the place that sold those awesome cages is doing 15% off

15% discount code available - use code FIFTEEN to get 15% off all our ranges for a limited time only.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My friend came round on Friday, and brought Stumpy with her because poss pregnant rat needs monitoring closely and all that. At the absolute minimum, if she's pregnant she'll be ten days pregnant (that was the day we picked her up). Got a picture of her stomach tonight, I don't think she'd necessarily be showing yet but in case, does anyone know if this looks like pregs/not pregs rat belly? Stumpy is around eleven/twelve weeks old now.

e:

I got a full body picture of her, she's fairly similiar to Ren. His strip down his back isn't as vivid as Stumpy's though.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 11, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

My friend came round on Friday, and brought Stumpy with her because poss pregnant rat needs monitoring closely and all that. At the absolute minimum, if she's pregnant she'll be ten days pregnant (that was the day we picked her up). Got a picture of her stomach tonight, I don't think she'd necessarily be showing yet but in case, does anyone know if this looks like pregs/not pregs rat belly? Stumpy is around eleven/twelve weeks old now.

e:

I got a full body picture of her, she's fairly similiar to Ren. His strip down his back isn't as vivid as Stumpy's though.

She looks like a siamese banded. You don't see a lot of marked siamese, that's cool.

She doesn't look pregnant yet, but she wouldn't be showing at 10 days anyway. A lot of them just suddenly blow up 3 or 4 days before the 21st day.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Would banded have a strip going down her back, though? She looks kinda hooded too, I dunno.

Ten days is the absolute minimum she'll be if she took the day we got her. Since she was with her brothers before that at the pet shop, there's a likelihood she'll be more than ten days pregs if she is. We're still treating her as if she's pregnant but not certain if she is or not v:shobon:v

Where is the new thread Super and what will its tagline be? We need to know! :colbert:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

Would banded have a strip going down her back, though? She looks kinda hooded too, I dunno.

Yup:

Banded is a high white marking that is usually combined with blazing, though not always- it looks similar to hooded but the color usually does not extend past the top of the body and doesnt cover the forequarters like it does on a hooded- the part that would be the "hood" on a hooded is also much thicker on a banded, and can have some variegation and white spotting mixed in.

The fact that she has a headspot makes it impossible for her to be a hooded; a phenotypically hooded rat can carry certain recessive high white marking genes; but they cannot be expressed at the same time as hooding- basically, a hooded rat can not have a head spot, and most of the blazed/spotted "hooded" rats you see will actually be either poor banded or collared (split cap/stripe) rats. Looking back at the earlier pics of her, she is definitely banded.

quote:

Where is the new thread Super and what will its tagline be? We need to know! :colbert:

Ohgod :gonk: I got 2/3 done with it and then spent the rest of the weekend house hunting and haven't had a chance to finish up. Shgould be next day or so if nothing happens! :shobon: Was actually going to ask you guys about taglines, come up with one for me I am too tired to have an imagination hnngh

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

We went out to a seafood place tonight and I got a big pot of steamed crab. I'm not the best crab-picker in the world, so my shells had a fair amount of meat left in them at the end of the meal. I also didn't touch my corn on the cob or my boiled potatoes.

Guess who is okay with all this?

Garrus was the only one who didn't bolt when my husband brought the camera over. I don't have the other pictures yet, but somewhere in there is a photo of Garrus holding a 3" section of crab leg that he's about to take into the hammock to eat in private.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Ohgod :gonk: I got 2/3 done with it and then spent the rest of the weekend house hunting and haven't had a chance to finish up. Shgould be next day or so if nothing happens! :shobon: Was actually going to ask you guys about taglines, come up with one for me I am too tired to have an imagination hnngh

I suggest the menopause tag.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Hello rat people. I'm making SUM ART for my sister for christmas and I need rat reference photos. I snagged a few from the last 8 pages or so, but it's a big slow. If any of you could PM me photos of your rats in a semi sitting position like the one in this (or just an image album if you have one), I'd super appreciate it, as it's a little hard to google for. :shobon:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

Banded is a high white marking that is usually combined with blazing, though not always- it looks similar to hooded but the color usually does not extend past the top of the body and doesnt cover the forequarters like it does on a hooded- the part that would be the "hood" on a hooded is also much thicker on a banded, and can have some variegation and white spotting mixed in.

The fact that she has a headspot makes it impossible for her to be a hooded; a phenotypically hooded rat can carry certain recessive high white marking genes; but they cannot be expressed at the same time as hooding- basically, a hooded rat can not have a head spot, and most of the blazed/spotted "hooded" rats you see will actually be either poor banded or collared (split cap/stripe) rats. Looking back at the earlier pics of her, she is definitely banded.

:ughh: I assumed banded in rats was the same variety as banded in mice. My mistake!

I am not witty enough to make cool tagline puns. But jeez Super get your priorities straight, huh!!!!

Kerfuffle I will look through my pix and try to find/take useful photos for you. :)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Fraction! That Siamese is adorable! I'm jealous. We don't have them here... yet.

Kerfuffle posted:

Hello rat people. I'm making SUM ART for my sister for christmas and I need rat reference photos. I snagged a few from the last 8 pages or so, but it's a big slow. If any of you could PM me photos of your rats in a semi sitting position like the one in this (or just an image album if you have one), I'd super appreciate it, as it's a little hard to google for. :shobon:
I will PM you my album, I haven't sorted anything but its mostly all rats. Maybe there'll be something useful.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 12, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My friend has all the cutest rats - she's got Ren and Stumpy, as well as the roan I posted about earlier itt, Sam. I'm so jealous, I have dumb rats and they smell and are dumb

:mad:

This is what happens if I try to take nice photos of my rats chilling out on/with me.

e
Super where is the new thread
where is it

e2:
I think I have a kind of problem, I guess. Since I introduced Moxxi to the gang, they go through literally twice as much food. There's also a lootttttt more poo poo :gonk: Like, easily twice more poo poo, despite there only being another one rat to an established group of three. Moxxi also craps quite soft poop, as well as it being high volume. Is it still from settling in? I've had her eight days now.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 13, 2012

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
It could be from a change of diet/settling in, or maybe you just hit the poop jackpot :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Oh my god I am a horrible terrible liar and haven't finished the thread :qq: the house I'm renting just kind of fell in my lap out of NOWHERE and I wasn't expecting it, I'd only casually looked at a couple of houses and then suddenly there was this perfect one so all of my not-at-work time has been spent getting applications and deposits together for like the last 3 days and I'm sorrryyyy :qq:

Tomorrow and prrrobably Thursday I'm gonna have more legwork but then I'll have Chill Time again (not moving in until the first) so it shouldn't be much longer hnngh :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Big Bug Hug posted:

It could be from a change of diet/settling in, or maybe you just hit the poop jackpot :)

:saddowns: It is not a jackpot that I wanted or expected to win!

Superconsndar posted:

Oh my god I am a horrible terrible liar and haven't finished the thread :qq: the house I'm renting just kind of fell in my lap out of NOWHERE and I wasn't expecting it, I'd only casually looked at a couple of houses and then suddenly there was this perfect one so all of my not-at-work time has been spent getting applications and deposits together for like the last 3 days and I'm sorrryyyy :qq:

Tomorrow and prrrobably Thursday I'm gonna have more legwork but then I'll have Chill Time again (not moving in until the first) so it shouldn't be much longer hnngh :(

I'm just messing with ya! Get all your house stuff sorted first :) Just make sure you post 1000 photos of mice and rats in the new thread to make up for it!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Don't worry, Super! Nothing wrong with hanging out in the old thread for a while!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I think I ought to go without veg in the rat cage for a few days. I just had Chell out for half an hour or so and she crapped and it was pure mush and and and :gonk:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

why so sirius, little rat?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

:stare: So cute

We will hopefully get some little rats soon as well, just waiting for the breeder to get back to me. Can't wait!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Sirius went to my friend's, and he and Dobby/Dumbledore (big ol' PEW male) will be going to live in Cardiff soon. They'll have a whole Aventura cage to themselves most of the year :3:

Andddd speaking of babies...

:ohdear:

The photo isn't the best but Stumpy has turned into a pear, and she got visibly fatter after a twelve hour period. Pretty sure she's going to pop in a couple of days.

e:
Sam just keeps on growing. Man, boy rats are so much bigger/fatter than girls.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 17, 2012

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
We lost Pau today :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Mongoloid Joe posted:

:( My condolences. Girl rats are so prone to tumors it's ridiculous...

Today I did a bit of a comparison.
When I first got Biscuit he was pretty tiny:
http://i.imgur.com/vctIv.jpg

And 5 months later:
http://i.imgur.com/zkFFQ.jpg

I knew he'd get big, but I didn't realize how fast he would.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Mongoloid Joe posted:

I'm sorry :smith:

Pew! Pew! posted:

I knew he'd get big, but I didn't realize how fast he would.

That's adorable. It's pretty funny comparing my older trio to Moxxi; they're maybe a month older, but so much bigger than her.

The rattards got to dine in style tonight. Pomegranate seeds and mashed tuna. Watching them grab the tuna in their little paws is just too cute.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My sister came over after not seeing the rats for a couple of months and said "Holy poo poo, they're huge!" :smug:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Aren't we overdue pics of your rats, RB? :colbert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I forgot to get the rest of the crab feast pictures from my husband before he left on work travel. He's got really bad signal out there so he may not be able to email them, but I'll definitely get them from him when he gets back on Wednesday!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

You make sure you get on that :mad:

Hey guys I think she's pregs. :downs:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

These were almost lost to my husband's photography snobbery. He makes me crazy sometimes - I ask him to take photos of something, and he'll give me a photo and promise me the rest...and if he doesn't think they're good enough, he just quietly deletes them without ever giving them to me. I don't need the pictures to be perfect, they're cute! I don't think he even realizes he does it :rolleyes:

Thankfully he hadn't cleared off his SD card yet.

The rats (and the cats) spent the entire day hiding because of the noisy dogs tromping around upstairs, so I boiled up some eggs for the rats and put out some wet food for the kitties to win back their hearts. The rats dragged their eggs back into their hidey holes.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Guys, I am The Worst Rat Owner. I cleaned the cage a few days ago, and noticed that the water bottle had gotten a little grungy so I cleaned that out as well. Anyway, something happened with the bottle spout and apparently it hadn't been giving out water. I noticed when Angie tried to drink a couple times, then saw it was still full (it's a bit hard to see how full it is). They'd gotten some veg but not a ton and hooooly poo poo were they thirsty. I used to insist on a two bottle system but one of the bottles kept falling off so we went down to one. Anyway, I gave them some water in a bowl while my BF tried to fix the bottle, then set up a couple extra bottles in the cage. Scary, but at least I got a couple cute pics out of it :3:

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 19, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It's good that you figured it out quickly!

What kind of bottles were you using when you were having problems with one falling? I have two of the Super Pet glass chew-proof bottles, held in place with just a spring (no wire hook on the bottom) and they don't even slide around, let alone fall.

I bought a second bottle precisely because I'm paranoid about that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for the condolences guys. We are both torn up about it. Kobe is pretty mopey and grieving in a cute yet heartfelt way. Seeing her bundle herself up in the bed Pau passed away in made me all teary eyed. We are taking Pau to the vet right now to be cremated. She was a good little rattie.