Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osama Bin Laden
Nov 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm already astounded by the number of people who are dismissing it because the living dead do not move at a snail's pace.

Agreed. I think Dawn of the Dead (2004) was thrilling because of the speed of the zombies. While I enjoyed the original more, that was more of a movie to take in and think about afterwards, while the remake was just a thrilling experience.

Somehow, the running zombies make the film seem more realistic. With the slow-moving zombies you always think to yourself, "Well, how is civilization overrun so quickly?" You try to chalk it up to loved ones being unable to put their family members down and getting bitten. But when you have Olympic sprinting zombies it makes the Apocalyptic feeling of the movie more believable. It also makes it realistic as to why the army is overrun. Picking off zombies isn't so easy when they're running full speed at you.

I do agree, though, that the CG looks a little lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

See I don't get that, how is the blind swordsman anymore ridiculous than the celebrity apocalypse death house, or the ghost radio operator. Doesn't the virus mainly start to spread because of Chinese black market organs? It's a pretty silly book.

I didn't really have a problem with believability, it was more the blatant rip off of the Zatoichi mythos.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think the biggest problem with the film is that it's called World War Z. On it's own, it looks like a pretty freaky zombie film, what with the way the zombies move and all, but calling it World War Z seems kind of pointless, considering the only thing it appears to have in common with the book is the walking dead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah the book had to take some pretty big leaps to get to a situation where civilization actually collapsed (well, admittedly, Republicans being useless assholes isn't any sort of leap) but it strung it together in a manner that was reasonably coherent. I prefer slow zombies but I'm not really opposed to fast ones, it's not like Dawn of the Dead 2005 or 28 Days Later are bad movies.

But for the most part WWZ wasn't a book about zombies, it wasn't even a book about how people deal with zombies, it was about the effects a tremendous global disaster has on people and society. Sure there's a few sillier bits like Zatoichi and his Pet Otaku but there's also some pretty brutal and cool stuff in there. I'll almost certainly go see this, because I'm a huge sucker for zombie stuff and I'm a huge sucker for Brad Pitt as well, but I am disappointed about using the name when the potential was much greater. And the idea of a documentary filled with vignettes is way cooler than a regular old action movie.

I'm going to assume they're going to be improving the CG. And I really am loving the disaster movie feel it has.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Zombies aren't scary because you can kill them. You know what would be more dangerous? Zombies that don't die from head trauma. Has this ever been explored cinematically? It "makes more sense," in that why would destroying a dead dude's brain make him deader.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Return of the Living Dead is what you want.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of zombies:

The trailer for Warm Bodies does a good job of showing that this is definitely nothing like Twilight. Although I think it does spoil the plot a bit, and the reveal that the protagonist's friend can definitely talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVyUL1Q06M

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of zombies:

The trailer for Warm Bodies does a good job of showing that this is definitely nothing like Twilight. Although I think it does spoil the plot a bit, and the reveal that the protagonist's friend can definitely talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVyUL1Q06M

This looks interesting, but I'm scared that the trailer (mostly the music/editing style) might make the film feel more light hearted then it really is. I could see it being really sloppy and trying to take a few grabs at the Twilight fans. If it is that, I'm not interested. Though I will keep my eye on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's from the director of 50/50, so it has that going for it. The book the film is based on is also a comedy, unlike Twilight (how the movies turning out aside).

What was the blu-ray Julie was holding up next to R's face in the trailer? It looks familiar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dan Didio posted:

I have read World War Z, no, the individual stories aren't particularly great on the whole and I don't think the second concept is inherently 'cooler' in anyway. More original, maybe, but original does not mean good or even particularly exciting in this case.

Pretty much every cry for a World War Z movie before this one was announced with Pitt in the lead was 'I want to see them do the battle scene!' so hey, you reap what you sow.

World War Z is a novel little series of not particularly great stories that's threaded together by a halfway interesting narrative framing device which probably wouldn't end up doing anything more interesting than 'what if occasionally there was someone on screen to remind you that this zombie story is actually a story'.

Do I think the second idea has promise? Sure. Do I think World War Z should have been adapted into a film? No, not really.

What's going to happen is this movie's going to come out and it's probably going to be generic and mostly boring with a charismatic lead and some interesting ideas and a bunch of purists are going to use this as more fuel for the fire that Hollywood is an uncreative cesspit going down the shitter and fast zombies and why doesn't anyone appreciate the brilliance of my favourite book 'Anne Frank's Zombie Diaries' which totally should have been adapted into an HBO miniseries by Christopher Nolan and and and ad infinitum.

Instead of realizing that the problem is that World War Z probably wouldn't have made a very good movie anyway.

I don't know, that trailer looks interesting to me and right now I want to see that film, because I don't live in the alternate universe where the other film got made and that film's trailer looked interesting.

I'm gay for anything Zombie, so this is great. Just did another read of WWZ (audiobook this time, which is a quite different experience) and don't care at all that it's not true to the book. Anything Zombie is good as long as it's not a 200 page sperg about exactly what guns/ammo/tactical measures are taken for the hero to do everything perfectly (a goon, surely).

404GoonNotFound posted:

1) Henry Rollins as the security guard at the celebrity bunker mansion in Long Island.
2) The feral girl.
3) A civil war firing line with a pro wrestler, a nun with an eyepatch, and Michael Stipe with The Trooper blaring in the background.

Get out of my head! Who knows where Pitts character takes him, it appears he does quite a bit of travelling. Perhaps we get the history of the war through his eyes as he makes a journey? That wouldn't be so bad.

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut
That's a pretty good point, Stav. Has there ever been a globe-trotting zombie film before?

RamrodMC fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 12, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RamrodMC posted:

That's a pretty good point, Stav. Has there ever been a globe-trotting zombie game before?

I could to really get into a classic "see the world" story in the context of a zombie apocalypse.

gently caress, now I've got my hopes up and will be sooo disappointed when World War Z: Rise of Optimus Prime is released. :negative:

ID Unavailable
Mar 2, 2012

THIS SOME DAVID LYNCH SHIT, HUH
Even if I block out the fact that I read WWZ (twice), that trailer still looked awful.

The Inception style BRRRRMMM is old and annoying. It doesn't appear to have ANYTHING to do with the plot of WWZ aside from "zombies". It looks like it's going to be a generic action movie with Pitt running around with his family and "omg Pitt you're the only one who can save us all with your generic action abilities!". And even if it's just placeholder or unfinished, the CGI looks bad. The way the zombies move and form these... waves of flesh just looks awful.

Many people apparently don't care, but the fact that they are fast zombies sucks. I don't mind fast zombies. Dawn of the Dead (the 2004 one) was good, and so was 28 Days Later (even if they're technically "infected"). But it's from the guy who wrote The Zombie Survival Guide. AND it seems like the book was specifically written and based around them being slow and basically just like he described in the ZSG. It's just another sign that they're probably not going to visit any of the more interesting subplots. I bet there's some vague Yonker's related scene at some point because that seemed to be one of the more "action-y" bits from the book, but from what they've shown from the trailer, it REALLY doesn't look like they're going to even touch on the whole "interviews" thing, and by extension the majority of the stories Brooks wrote.

I'm sure it will end up being a competent zombie action movie, but here's why this is incredibly frustrating: If you're going to fight for and buy the goddamn rights to a movie, then completely disregard everything about it, screw you. What, you just wanted the title and that's it? "Here's a big budget Brad Pitt zombie movie" wasn't going to sell enough tickets?

It's frustrating because now Pitt's Plan B has the rights, and so no one else can make a true adaptation now. It's disappointing to see how this movie is going, sure, but the real kick comes from the fact that this means it's incredibly unlikely that there will ever be a legitimate WWZ movie that tries to be true to Brooks' story. They should have just gone, "well, why don't we just come up with a better title and save all this money on stories and characters we'll never use?"

Maybe there's some big thing I'm missing about the film industry, or maybe I underestimate how much money the name "WWZ" can bring in, but I'm still going to be upset with the outcome... although I sort of expected this.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I have not reread the book since the first time I did, and it was amazing then, but it was probably where I read it.

That said, based on that vignette format, it really should be a mini-series with multiple directors.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

mugrim posted:

I have not reread the book since the first time I did, and it was amazing then, but it was probably where I read it.

That said, based on that vignette format, it really should be a mini-series with multiple directors.

Agreed. Something like the Animatrix setup or an HBO series would have been perfect for WWZ.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Maarak posted:

Return of the Living Dead is what you want.

Seriously whenever there's a "has there ever been a zombie film about ______" question, RotLD is the answer.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Trailer for The Last Stand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc0x-jiewTE
Heh Conan's sword
And also a trailer of Jurassic Park 3D Rerelease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jH9iAHSKds
drat you John Williams, once that music started I began to tear up. :cry:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

penismightier posted:

Seriously whenever there's a "has there ever been a zombie film about ______" question, RotLD is the answer.

Yeah, while Night of the Living Dead is the more famous movie, Return of the Living Dead is where most of the pop culture ideas about zombies came from.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

achillesforever6 posted:

I saw this in IMAX in front of Skyfall and I was tearing up. It was beautiful. Can't wait to actually see it.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

achillesforever6 posted:

I was really getting into it until the shot of the brachiasaurs. All i could hear in my head was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-58hQ9dLk .

god dammit moment ruined.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

Someone in another thread, I think, posted that this seems more like a disaster movie with zombies as the disaster than a zombie movie. I'm pretty okay with that.

That's basically what the book is. It's about society dealing with a crisis, and it happens to be zombies. I really wanted the movie to be Contagion + zombies, where it was an ensemble cast with a variety of stories. It didn't have to be retrospective, but part of what made it great was that it covered what happened from so many different angles where it told personal stories and society level stories at the same time.

Yeah I want to see the battle in Yonkers as well, but it's 12 pages of a 350 page book.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I really do not care for the way they cut that trailer together. The music edits sound super sloppy.

I know what I'm doing in April though. Never got to see it in theaters when I was a kid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jeez what a terrible trailer. This sounds like it never went to finishing. The cheats are awful and nearly unlistenable. I see that they're trying to make the film sound exciting but it hits way too fast and way too often. I think the film might be fun but whoever cut this trailer is misguided.

edit:

ApexAftermath posted:

Never got to see it in theaters when I was a kid.

WHAT??

You poor bastard.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 11, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

WHAT??

You poor bastard.

I was a dinosaur nut but for whatever reason just never got taken to it at the time. I would have been like 6-7 at the time. I've forever held it(jokingly) against my parents. I'm excited to see it even if it is in this goofy pseudo-3d nonsense.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Regarding WWZ, I just like how the wave o' zombies is a great visual shorthand for how the situation is kind of literally snowballing. This big ol wave rolling over people like a necrotic katamari, picking up momentum like crazy.
But then they also have those "red dots gettin bigger" graphics on their magic hollywood computer display showing exactly how many billions of people are getting zombified, so I guess subtlety is out the window after all. That might just be for the trailer, though.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I was 5 when "Jurassic Park" came out, and my parents wisely thought it would be too scary for me at the time. They let me see it when I was 7 and I absolutely loved it.

I posted these way earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating that the "Jurassic Park" series has also been blessed with some awesome trailers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

kiimo posted:

WHAT??

You poor bastard.
I wish I was born in 1990 and not 1992 :smith: I saw at my grandmas when I was 3 and from that point on I knew I was going to be Dr. Grant no matter what.
E: I never saw JP fully until I was probably 12, because the Dilphosarus scene scared the poo poo out of me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I saw Jurassic Park in theaters at 6 years old. :colbert:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm old, I was 17 when it came out and working at a movie theater. I was leery about it and heard they planned on using footprint sounds like the Jaws song to create tension and a sense of foreboding and I was immediately pissed since Jaws is special to me.

Then I read the book in the week leading up to its release and went bezerko. I think Jaws (saw it in the theater at an illegal viewing of Jaws, Jaws 2 and Jaws 3-D when I was 8) was my Jurassic Park from the sounds of it.

Oh and I wouldn't even get on my brother's waterbed, much less go into the water for a long time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jurassic Park was my 2nd best movie of 1993.

Last Action Hero was obviously the first.

I was also 9 and Jurassic Park lacked explosions. :colbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jurassic Park was my 2nd best movie of 1993.

Last Action Hero was obviously the first.

I was also 9 and Jurassic Park lacked explosions. :colbert:

Jurassic Park also lacked the Hamlet scene.

http://youtu.be/8Z9Ismh1elM

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
3D re-releasing seems like such a sad cash grab, but I will not miss Jurassic Park in theaters again. I remember being so completely, thoroughly fulfilled when I saw JP in the theater as a kid. I was particularly amazed that even my dad had really enjoyed the movie.

I kinda wish my nephew (who is only 3 months old) was old enough to take to this movie. I can't know he'd like it of course, but to introduce that to another generation just seems awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's The Host has a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKjf8b4f2E

In the future, the world is chrome. Those cars couldn't get more Andrew Niccol if they tried.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

davidspackage posted:

3D re-releasing seems like such a sad cash grab, but I will not miss Jurassic Park in theaters again. I remember being so completely, thoroughly fulfilled when I saw JP in the theater as a kid. I was particularly amazed that even my dad had really enjoyed the movie.

I kinda wish my nephew (who is only 3 months old) was old enough to take to this movie. I can't know he'd like it of course, but to introduce that to another generation just seems awesome.
I don't really mind it since it's really to celebrate 20 years since it's release.

Any kid who doesn't love dinosaurs is something I find unfathomable, but I was raised on JP and the Land Before Time Series (god that series was long and sucked after the 5th movie)

This rerelease might bring upon another generation that wants to get interested in Science.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The MSJ posted:

In the future, the world is chrome. Those cars couldn't get more Andrew Niccol if they tried.

Is that a straight to dvd movie made by film students?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't really mind it since it's really to celebrate 20 years since it's release.

Any kid who doesn't love dinosaurs is something I find unfathomable, but I was raised on JP and the Land Before Time Series (god that series was long and sucked after the 5th movie)

This rerelease might bring upon another generation that wants to get interested in Science.

I was eight when Jurassic Park came out and didn't want to see it. My dad thought I was scared but I just thought dinosaurs were dumb.

I still haven't seen it.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I was 9 when JP came out and I was a dinosaur nut so I naturally wanted to see it when it came out. I had to beg but they eventually said, OK, and I brought a friend Nick with me.

Theater was packed and we were late so we were in the front row. I sat next to my mom, Nick next to me and next to him, a very large woman. I remember the first act but once the storm hit and the Explorers stopped at the T-Rex pen, I buried my head in my mom's arm and never saw anything else. Poor Nick did the same...with the strange fat lady. The roars, god, the roars...I was terrified but none of us got up and left. I watched it when it came out on video and was embarrassed at how scared I was in the theater but in retrospect, it would be drat scary to a 9 year-old expecting the dinos to just stand there and be friendly.

I still love the movie to death.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

I'm looking forward to this now. I like the premise and I like Saoirse Ronan, and Niccol is due for a good one. I liked Gattaca, didn't like Simone, loved Lord of War, didn't like In Time, so this one will be awesome, QED.

Add in William Hurt and you can't really go wrong, especially since he appears to be playing a grizzled 1890s prospector.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Trailer for "Now You See Me" is out and I got to say I'm interested
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/now-you-see-me/trailers/now-you-see-me-theatrical-trailer-31140444.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thought that was Robert Downey Jr. at first. Looks like it could be a really good flick.

• Locked thread