Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
My thoughts are on Biden, Cuomo and maybe Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Michelle is definitely sitting out, right?

I have to think a Hillary/Michelle ticket would prove impossible to stop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Abel Wingnut posted:

I have to think a Hillary/Michelle ticket would prove impossible to stop.

I don't want to live in your crazy world where we get a Clinton/Bachmann ticket.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gyges posted:

I don't want to live in your crazy world where we get a Clinton/Bachmann ticket.

It would make for a great sitcom though

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

It would make for a great sitcom though
"Did the president call?"

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Obama or Bachmann?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Obama.

You really thought I meant Bachmann, even for the slightest moment?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Obama.

You really thought I meant Bachmann, even for the slightest moment?
...Bachmann is actually the more likely candidate in that scenario.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to Michelle Obama making a run for senator in Illinois, having a dragged out primary fight with Chelsea Clinton, serving as SoS, and running in 2032.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Michele Bachmann's name has one "l" in it. Michelle Obama's name has two "l"s in it. :eng101:

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Jonked posted:

...Bachmann is actually the more likely candidate in that scenario.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to Michelle Obama making a run for senator in Illinois, having a dragged out primary fight with Chelsea Clinton, serving as SoS, and running in 2032.

I honestly don't think Michelle has presidential ambitions. I could see her going for Illinois governor though.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT
I would only a Clinton ticket if it were Michelle POTUS / Hillary VP.

I hate the Clintons, but they do make good speakers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
By most all reports Michelle Obama actively hates politics and has no higher aspirations than sitting on corporate boards.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

By most all reports Michelle Obama actively hates politics and has no higher aspirations than sitting on corporate boards.
The Obamas almost got divorced because of it, most likely.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Has anyone heard anything further about Rubio's finances being a problem for him to get clearance to be president? I remember NYMag had a blurb about it, stating that he was skittish about being vetted for VP back when his name being thrown around.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Apparently he was facing foreclosure. It doesn't help, but it probably isn't a disqualifier. There were also some plane tickets he billed to the state but he can easily pay it back and make that issue go away.

mr. unhsib posted:

I honestly don't think Michelle has presidential ambitions. I could see her going for Illinois governor though.
Please don't accuse the First Lady of being a federal criminal.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I really think it could be Christie/Rubio.

If Christie can lose some weight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TLG James posted:

I really think it could be Christie/Rubio.

If Christie can lose some weight.

Another upside-down ticket from the RINO establishment. :rolleyes:

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Wanting someone to run just because they're married to the current president and seem likeable is indicative of fundamental problems with the way you view the political process.

For a country that fought so hard to throw off the shackles of a monarchy, there seem to be quite a few of you in love with the idea of political dynasties.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Majestic posted:

Wanting someone to run just because they're married to the current president and seem likeable is indicative of fundamental problems with the way you view the political process.

For a country that fought so hard to throw off the shackles of a monarchy, there seem to be quite a few of you in love with the idea of political dynasties.

I agree. I can't see why the thought of Michelle Obama running for President is a reasonable option. I'd say the same for all the Bushes remaining too (Jeb, Prescott, etc).

I'd say that Hillary Clinton showed that she is incapable of leading something as complicated as the country when she couldn't even lead a campaign properly. Her campaign was a mess.

I think if Hillary runs that she'll win the primary easy and it'll be Christie on the GOP side.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Whoever runs, I'm almost positive the Democrat will end up winning. It's a strange world when the next person up to bat gets two, possibly three living ex-presidents on the stump for them while the Republicans will have . . .

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Whoever runs, I'm almost positive the Democrat will end up winning. It's a strange world when the next person up to bat gets two, possibly three living ex-presidents on the stump for them while the Republicans will have . . .

Romney COULD'VE had two, if he really wanted :)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don't see Christie standing a chance if the party doubles down on the crazy, as it seems its prepared to do. Even if his positions qualify him for the position, he is not exactly going to toe the line and follow the script, when it veers off into batshit crazy, as Romney was ready to do so during the primaries.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TyrantWD posted:

I don't see Christie standing a chance if the party doubles down on the crazy, as it seems its prepared to do. Even if his positions qualify him for the position, he is not exactly going to toe the line and follow the script, when it veers off into batshit crazy, as Romney was ready to do so during the primaries.

I'm not so sure about this. Almost every cycle the Republicans are "expected" to nominate the conservative insurgent candidate at some point or another. They certainly did in 1964 when Goldwater knocked off Rockefeller, and I suppose arguably did in 1980 although Reagan was pretty establishment by that time, but that's really it. At the end of the day, the crazy guy just doesn't win their primaries.

There's a reason the Republicans are called the party of primogeniture; they always nominate one of the next in line establishment people. And I don't know whether that should be expected to change now.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

TyrantWD posted:

It seems to me that the GOP base since 2008 always nominates the most boisterous candidates. The candidates who speak the loudest with the most conviction and confidence, whether they are telling lies or not. Christie fits that profile perfectly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

I'm not so sure about this. Almost every cycle the Republicans are "expected" to nominate the conservative insurgent candidate at some point or another. They certainly did in 1964 when Goldwater knocked off Rockefeller, and I suppose arguably did in 1980 although Reagan was pretty establishment by that time, but that's really it. At the end of the day, the crazy guy just doesn't win their primaries.

There's a reason the Republicans are called the party of primogeniture; they always nominate one of the next in line establishment people. And I don't know whether that should be expected to change now.

Admittedly, there is a case to be made that W got bumped up into line over McCain. Granted in 2016, who is going to be the next successor who has been around a while, Jeb? Maybe Newt?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Whether it was a random pattern or a rule, the next in line is Santorum so I doubt it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, there is a case to be made that W got bumped up into line over McCain. Granted in 2016, who is going to be the next successor who has been around a while, Jeb? Maybe Newt?

McCain wasn't really the next dude in line in 2000, he was distinctly running as the outsider candidate although not from the right. True conservative insurgencies don't work in the Republican party to any greater extent than true progressive ones work in the Democratic Party.

Sometimes who the successor is doesn't even work itself out until the primaries. It was obviously Romney this cycle all along, hence the entire Romney vs. Not Romney framework of the primary. It was less obviously McCain in 2008 with Rudy hanging around. Given that Rick Santorum is never going to be an establishment figure, the most likely person to establish himself in that role during the pre-primary and early primary cycle is probably Paul Ryan, but Christie, Rubio, Jeb, and even Condi are all plausible.

Adar posted:

Whether it was a random pattern or a rule, the next in line is Santorum so I doubt it.

Right, I mean, Pat Buchanan wasn't the nominee in 1996 or 2000 despite being the runner up twice, these things do have their limits. It's more that the establishment candidate almost always wins in the end than anything, and there always is an establishment figure even though we might not know whom yet.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Is there anything stopping Booker from being VP? Has there ever been a mayor that's run as a VP and succeeded before?

He seems like he would be hugely beneficial to rally up motivation, and it would give him the experience needed to run for president, which I think is, a given if the democratic party has anything to say about it.

On top of that, if his VP run fails, he's got plenty of time to become a Senator or Governor.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I suspect that one way or another Booker is not going to be the mayor of Newark in summer 2016. He'll either get Lautenberg's Senate seat in 2014 or get parachuted out into a Cabinet vacancy.

VP nominees have occasionally come from the ranks of non-statewide elected officials. Paul Ryan is one of them, of course, so was George H.W. Bush. I don't think it would necessarily be disqualifying, but I also don't know what would make him more attractive than others at that point.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 11, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

jeffersonlives posted:

I suspect that one way or another Booker is not going to be the mayor of Newark in summer 2016. He'll either get Lautenberg's Senate seat in 2014 or get parachuted out into a Cabinet vacancy.

Yeah, I have no reason to believe that Booker is staying in place. I think a lot of people can agree that dude is presidential as HELL, and the only thing stopping him is experience.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Waterbed posted:

Yeah, I have no reason to believe that Booker is staying in place. I think a lot of people can agree that dude is presidential as HELL, and the only thing stopping him is experience.

The flip side is that he's 43 so it's not like there's a big rush.

A word of caution on Booker: although he's a reformer to rather violent, caustic degrees within the Newark city infrastructure, it's still the Newark city infrastructure, and the last three mayors of Newark were all convincted of public corruption or fraud in their official capacities. So, there could definitely be skeletons there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd bet on Lautenberg's seat, personally, since what Cabinet slot is he going to get offered? I don't see him getting State, AG is unlikely since he barely practiced, Treasury also seems a long shot, which leaves a lot of less prestigious/visible slots, most of which are filled perfectly well. Cabinet seems like a distraction for him compared to going to the Senate, where he could easily be for the next 40-50 years if the presidential thing doesn't pan out.

All that assumes Lautenberg leaves, of course, which is not guaranteed last I'd heard.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Booker was offered a cabinet appointment by Obama in 2008 and turned it down to stay in Newark. Maybe he did so planning to run for governor which seems less likely now post-Sandy, so I suppose that could change. I do assume he has ambitions beyond being Mayor of Newark, although he is a bit off-the-beaten-path politically and could surprise us.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

jeffersonlives posted:

A word of caution on Booker: although he's a reformer to rather violent, caustic degrees within the Newark city infrastructure, it's still the Newark city infrastructure, and the last three mayors of Newark were all convincted of public corruption or fraud in their official capacities. So, there could definitely be skeletons there.

Yeah, I'm expecting a 2020 or 2024 run from him here at the earliest.

Newark is a HELL of a better city since he took office. Newark has gone from complete shithole to pretty okay in the span of a few years. If he's got skeletons, I'd be surprised. The last dudes just kind of dicked around and did nothing substantial. Even if Cory doesn't run, I'll be happy. I live next to the city and would love to see it bloom under his reign for a long time.

Edit: My high praise comes from the fact that I've seen the city change over the years personally. Maybe it's just hometown enthusiasm here, but he's done a hell of a job.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 11, 2012

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

jeffersonlives posted:

True, although I would think he needs at least 6-8 years to become a viable candidate through Senate or gubernatorial processes. I suppose that could be sped up a bit via Cabinet appointments, but I don't know if I see that happening.

Point being that, while he is "only" 43, still looking at probably 53 before he had the credibility to run, and then he'd have to wait for the race to be right. So if Booker has Presidential ambitions - and again, he may not - I would assume he'd try to at least get started sooner rather than later.

And your point about Booker's possible skeletons is well-taken. He seems impossibly clean and very, very few people are.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

One of the more interesting rumors I've heard, and I don't expect it has any validity but I'm throwing it out there just for fun, is that Obama could appoint Chris Christie as attorney general, for many reasons, including to reestablish the independence of DOJ, to kick Christie upstairs and set Booker up to be governor, and to get Christie out of the 2016 race. Booker would probably wipe the floor with Kim Guadagno in 2013 in that case, and that would make him a plausible 2016 presidential nominee non-Hillary division or a leading contender to be running mate for anyone.

I do suspect Christie would take that job if it was offered, for whatever that's worth.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

One of the more interesting rumors I've heard, and I don't expect it has any validity but I'm throwing it out there just for fun, is that Obama could appoint Chris Christie as attorney general, for many reasons, including to reestablish the independence of DOJ, to kick Christie upstairs and set Booker up to be governor, and to get Christie out of the 2016 race. Booker would probably wipe the floor with Kim Guadagno in 2013 in that case, and that would make him a plausible 2016 presidential nominee non-Hillary division or a leading contender to be running mate for anyone.

I do suspect Christie would take that job if it was offered, for whatever that's worth.

Wow, I hadn't heard that at all. I doubt it would happen but it would certainly be fun for a lot of reasons.

I wonder what carrots Obama has left in the tank for Christie. Maybe the Boss could set up an office in the RFK building?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Two interesting things about Booker:

He's single.
He's a vegetarian.

Could be interesting how that affects him. I doubt much.

Also he's got rumors about being gay (mostly because he's hittin an older age and he's single).

jeffersonlives posted:

This is kind of out there. But that job would do wonders for Christie in 2016... sooooo. Gamble?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'd be pretty shocked if Cory Booker was gay, and I think he plays the "none of your business" card more because of a legitimate belief that it shouldn't matter than that he's hiding something.

Petey posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard that at all. I doubt it would happen but it would certainly be fun for a lot of reasons.

I wonder what carrots Obama has left in the tank for Christie. Maybe the Boss could set up an office in the RFK building?

Christie has at times denied having any interest in being AG, to throw water on my own way out there rumor.

I don't think that's a job you'd actually put an opposing partisan in basically ever because there's too much domestic policy influence on the hot buttons; the usual spots for cross party appointments are the foreign policy positions or the lower profile domestic positions where the hot buttons never come up, which is why we're discussing people like Lugar, Hagel, and Huntsman in the other thread. But if you ever were going to do it, hypothetically, it would probably be with a notably independent ally with a strong history of either running a USA or state AG office in a non-partisan fashion. And that does fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if Cory Booker was gay, and I think he plays the "none of your business" card more because of a legitimate belief that it shouldn't matter than that he's hiding something.

Christie has at times denied having any interest in being AG, to throw water on my own way out there rumor.

I don't think that's a job you'd actually put an opposing partisan in basically ever because there's too much domestic policy influence on the hot buttons; the usual spots for cross party appointments are the foreign policy positions or the lower profile domestic positions where the hot buttons never come up, which is why we're discussing people like Lugar, Hagel, and Huntsman in the other thread. But if you ever were going to do it, hypothetically, it would probably be with a notably independent ally with a strong history of either running a USA or state AG office in a non-partisan fashion. And that does fit.

I don't see Christie going for AG when he clearly has a good shot at the GOP nomination in 2016. Being Obama's AG would kill his chances at being the GOP nominee forever.

• Locked thread