Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh that's true actually. You wouldn't even need as many firmware updates that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Wetware :cyberpunk101:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What the flying gently caress? :psyboom:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

FoneBone posted:

Given current trends in the industry, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that Wii U and the next Sony/Microsoft consoles will be the last consoles (in the traditional sense) that we see.

Yes, because people can't wait to stop playing together on a couch. We'd all rather be fumbling on a touch screen, or trying to roll back our graphics card drivers.

Do these industry analysts believe that just because mobile games are making a lot of money, they're replacing the time we spend playing games at home? Really, they're allowing us to play in between everything we do.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
I still just prefer to lug around my 3DS or Vita instead of playing on my huge rear end Galaxy Note. It's like the fun factor of mobile games is super loving tiny compared to real games on a real portable system...

with real buttons.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

That loving Sned posted:

Yes, because people can't wait to stop playing together on a couch. We'd all rather be fumbling on a touch screen, or trying to roll back our graphics card drivers.

I never said that, and don't think it'll happen. But I think you're likely to see tablet devices that attach to TVs replacing the current paradigm.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

FoneBone posted:

I never said that, and don't think it'll happen. But I think you're likely to see tablet devices that attach to TVs replacing the current paradigm.

That is essentially the current paradigm as of November 2012, given Wii U and SmartGlass. If you're just trying to say "technology gets smaller and power consumption improves" then you're not exactly Nostradamus here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like it's weird that the console with the smallest internal storage is pushing the hardest for downloadable full games.

I couldn't imagine myself getting as much use out of Playstation Plus as I have been if I couldn't just download several 9GB games at once and not even have to think about it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Astro7x posted:

I feel like it's weird that the console with the smallest internal storage is pushing the hardest for downloadable full games.

But I think they have the most consumer-friendly storage solution, too. I know the flash memory was to cut the MSRP, but Reggie made a good point about not pushing a fixed price for something that's constantly getting cheaper and that many gamers already own.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The problem with a tablet-only future is the lack of unity across the platforms. Yes, if you're developing a game for iOS, it will perform the same on all iOSx devices, but not iOS(x-1) or iOS(x-2) devices. Or how about Android, which has to test on a billion different phones/tablets?

One of the benefits of console gaming is that everyone has the same spec. You don't even have to think about that. Also the online infrastructure. Game Center ain't Xbox Live, not even close.

I made it through this whole post without insulting mobile games, I did it, I'm the winner

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Porting from iOS to the vast number of Android devices is a complete ball ache. :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://kotaku.com/5959261/step-aside-jessica-chobot-licking-a-psp-theres-a-new-scandalous-picture-and-it-involves-the-wii-u

This is a cat licking a Wii U controller. It is delicious to cats.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Poor Chobot. She will never live that down.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I just dread the idea that game "journalism" is turning into that. I'm more comfortable with gaming and masturbation being separate hobbies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rake Arms posted:

I just dread the idea that game "journalism" is turning into that. I'm more comfortable with gaming and masturbation being separate hobbies.
What games aren't masturbatory in design nowadays

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

That has to be the cutest thing ever. Cats are cool because they don't care what it is they're licking.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When it plays original Wii games does it upscale them?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AASman posted:

When it plays original Wii games does it upscale them?
I would assume yes. It'll just be a 480p picture blown up to 720p or w/e, with probably no smoothing/graphics options. Nintendo is pretty no frills.

e: It won't output the game natively at a higher resolution, if that's what you mean. It will just scale the picture like any HDTV does.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 11, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I can't remember the name, but some random Japanese model did a 3D photoshoot when the 3DS came out in conjunction with some Italian (?) magazine.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would assume yes. It'll just be a 480p picture blown up to 720p or w/e, with probably no smoothing/graphics options. Nintendo is pretty no frills.

e: It won't output the game natively at a higher resolution, if that's what you mean. It will just scale the picture like any HDTV does.

No, the Wii U does not upscale Wii games. Wii games act like how GC games do on a Wii. When you launch a Wii title the Wii U goes into "Wii mode" and you have to run an app from the Wii dash to get back to Wii U mode. No upscaling is done at all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, whether it displays at native 480p or is a 480p picture blown up to 720p, it doesn't really matter. The only nice thing about PS2-on-PS3 emulation is that you can smooth it a little bit but it's so negligable that it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flyboi posted:

No, the Wii U does not upscale Wii games. Wii games act like how GC games do on a Wii. When you launch a Wii title the Wii U goes into "Wii mode" and you have to run an app from the Wii dash to get back to Wii U mode. No upscaling is done at all.

That's pretty bogus. All I ask is a simple upscale so playing a Wii game doesn't look like a jagged blurry piece of poo poo. Even a select few Xbox 1 games could run at 720p, it can't be that difficult to do.

I'm really interested in Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101. You think the new Metal Gear Solid will come out on it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AASman posted:

I'm really interested in Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101. You think the new Metal Gear Solid will come out on it?

Every major (and minor) third party title should come out for it because it's going to be the most powerful console on the market for the next two years but you know that won't be the case.

Then again, with some companies doing so terribly, Nintendo will probably just buy some franchise exclusivity again. With all of the talk of THQ not going forward with a Darksiders III I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo just buys Vigil Games from them to get it done.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

AASman posted:

That's pretty bogus. All I ask is a simple upscale so playing a Wii game doesn't look like a jagged blurry piece of poo poo. Even a select few Xbox 1 games could run at 720p, it can't be that difficult to do.
Upscales are rarely that simple, and those that the Xbox 360 could upscale likely had significant programming done to the emulators (or even, perhaps, had the higher resolution programmed already in anticipating of the next gen, I honestly don't know enough about which games could upscale to know.

Also, Wii U runs Wii games on hardware.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AASman posted:

It's not that easy to force games to render at high resolutions. Emulations also causes all sorts of compatability problems and some games may not run at all.

So yes, it is hard.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I find it kind of funny that I never got to try the Wii U version of a multi-platform game I was testing, and when I saw it on one of the demo kiosks, the "video" was just a bunch of screenshots. :shepface:

I'm surprised those kiosks don't at least have a NSMBU demo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

miscellaneous14 posted:

I find it kind of funny that I never got to try the Wii U version of a multi-platform game I was testing, and when I saw it on one of the demo kiosks, the "video" was just a bunch of screenshots. :shepface:

I'm surprised those kiosks don't at least have a NSMBU demo.

Gamestop one's have Rayman Legends, the one at my Walmart just has trailers.

Best way to test a system is with videos right?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Still looking for a good Wii U launch I can go to without a preorder and get one. I took a trip to Universal Citywalk in Los Angeles when the Wii launched and it was super fun, but I called and they aren't doing anything as extravagant this time around but are doing a midnight launch. I'm definitely interested in other options, especially ones that may not require as much travel if it's not going to be nearly as awesome, so if anyone hears of anything post 'em!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gamestop one's have Rayman Legends, the one at my Walmart just has trailers.

Best way to test a system is with videos right?

You can hold the controller at least! I don't know about anyone else but it's totally different from what I expected in terms of how it feels in your hands.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You can hold the controller at least! I don't know about anyone else but it's totally different from what I expected in terms of how it feels in your hands.

Different good or different bad? I've been curious about this, because it looks like it'd feel weird. I've heard it's lighter than it looks, at least.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Different good. I didn't expect it to feel terrible or anything but it's totally comfortable. Weight is comparable to a wired 360 controller. I can't comment on how it feels after a long play session but in my ~15 minutes it felt totally fine. If it doesn't cramp your hands after a while I can't even see why the pro controller would be necessary.

edit: A wired 360 controller is lighter than a wireless one and heavier than a PS3 controller.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not that easy to force games to render at high resolutions. Emulations also causes all sorts of compatability problems and some games may not run at all.

So yes, it is hard.
See you guys are talking about something other than upscaling. Upscaling is just converting the existing picture to a higher resolution. What you guys are talking about is altering the game to render at the native resolution of 720p or 1080p. I feel like people have mis-coined "upscaling" for this process, but that's not really what it is.

For a comparison, look at how PS2 games are upscaled on a PS3 at 720p, vs a PS2 emulator running a game natively at 720p. They look completely different.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

See you guys are talking about something other than upscaling. Upscaling is just converting the existing picture to a higher resolution. What you guys are talking about is altering the game to render at the native resolution of 720p or 1080p. I feel like people have mis-coined "upscaling" for this process, but that's not really what it is.

For a comparison, look at how PS2 games are upscaled on a PS3 at 720p, vs a PS2 emulator running a game natively at 720p. They look completely different.

That question is dumb as hell then. Unless you expect the game to run as tiny little box with a huge black border around it on your screen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well the thing is, the Wii U could also simply output it natively at 480p and not scale it up to whatever resolution you're running at. The benefit of the PS3 scaling up PS2 games to higher resolutions is that it can apply post-processing effects to smooth edges and such to make the picture look a little nicer (but not as nice as it would look if it was rendered natively). It's why I'm glad to still have a working fat 1st generation ps3.

I don't expect Nintendo to have any such options though. I'm surprised they're even adding a button to take you back to the Wii U menu to the Wii menu. I'd have expected them to just cross their arms and say "JUST TURN IT OFF AND ON, DUMMY. for youre health"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't expect Nintendo to have any such options though. I'm surprised they're even adding a button to take you back to the Wii U menu to the Wii menu. I'd have expected them to just cross their arms and say "JUST TURN IT OFF AND ON, DUMMY. for youre health"

Even that had to be done in a really ghetto way; it's a software channel instead of a UI button.

Pretty much everything about the Wii's "OS" was jury-rigged and held together with duct tape, nice to see that fine tradition continues with the virtualized Wii on the new console.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd like to see Nintendo actually be a little aggressive with their firmware changes and not just roll them out solely to stop piracy. I don't really like XMB but Sony has at least added new features to their OS on a regular (ie: every couple of months) basis. Right now video chat requires that you quit a game, but I feel like they could eventually patch it to work in-game, if the drat OS is getting a full gig of ram dedicated to itself.

Maybe at some point they can patch in some sort of enhancements to Wii Mode, like running it on the gamepad.

It'd also be nice to have a web browser that is kept up to date beyond its initial launch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're fairly good about 3DS firmware updates; they've added more features to the 3DS OS in ~18 months than they did to the Wii in its entire lifetime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'd like to see Nintendo actually be a little aggressive with their firmware changes and not just roll them out solely to stop piracy. I don't really like XMB but Sony has at least added new features to their OS on a regular (ie: every couple of months) basis. Right now video chat requires that you quit a game, but I feel like they could eventually patch it to work in-game, if the drat OS is getting a full gig of ram dedicated to itself.

Maybe at some point they can patch in some sort of enhancements to Wii Mode, like running it on the gamepad.

It'd also be nice to have a web browser that is kept up to date beyond its initial launch.

I really doubt it for videochat - I don't think you've taken into account the fact that there's data already streaming to/from the gamepad from whatever game is playing. The wii-on-gamepad thing isn't likely either, due to most games needing waggle controls or using the Wiimote as a pointer in the menus (Though it would be nice for Virtual Console games).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One thing to note is that sites who currently have the hardware for review don't yet have the first firmware update installed, which includes some key features; we won't completely know the lay of the land with this stuff until Nintendo puts that update online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The wii-on-gamepad thing isn't likely either, due to most games needing waggle controls or using the Wiimote as a pointer in the menus (Though it would be nice for Virtual Console games).

But the Game Pad has a "sensor bar" built-in. You could just point at the GamePad screen with a Remote for pointer-specific menus (though keep in mind the Wii Menu does accept the Classic Controller). Then, in addition, the buttons on the GamePad would work as a Classic Controller.

The only difficulty is that GamePad streaming would have to still remain active, and maybe that's not possible when doing Wii hardware emulation? Still, I hope it gets a fix, like SD Card support did.

• Locked thread