Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

pokeyman posted:

I'd love some feedback on this. I can't decide if it's good enough so we can do away with the [ ] = / shortcuts.

I'm sure you don't want the list to get too long when tap and holding but a spoiler tags button would be really nice. If you added that I wouldn't miss the [ ] = / shortcuts at all.

A minor nitpick, but would it be possible to add an option to drop the rolling animation when refreshing the bookmarks tab? I refresh the bookmarks tab a lot so it ends up being a bit distracting. Also add me to the camp requesting an option to leave the bookmarks tab visible in landscape like it is currently. I browse exclusively in landscape on my iPad just for the bookmarks tab.

Great work btw, the Awful app is the most used app on my iPad and iPod Touch by a wide margin, nice to see it getting some neat updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

BGrifter posted:

I'm sure you don't want the list to get too long when tap and holding but a spoiler tags button would be really nice. If you added that I wouldn't miss the [ ] = / shortcuts at all.

It's there

Works great!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It's there

Works great!

Mind blown.

That's what I get for posting feedback 30 minutes after getting the new version. :doh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, sorry, took it out for now. It's coming back.

Sorry to be That Guy, but is this coming back in 1.8 or later in the future? I might hold off on updating; I loving love that full screen view.

(too bad I can't just get an iPhone 5 :v:)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Sorry to be That Guy, but is this coming back in 1.8 or later in the future? I might hold off on updating; I loving love that full screen view.

(too bad I can't just get an iPhone 5 :v:)

Couldn't you just keep the old app, and then download this new one? Since it's not an update to the old version, but rather a "new" program altogether from Apple's point of view, you could just have both for a while.

As for myself, did I read before that the icon updates would be in a future version as well? I know I saw a highres icon for the Webcomics tag, but when I look at a topic with that icon, it's just blank for me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

IUG posted:

Couldn't you just keep the old app, and then download this new one? Since it's not an update to the old version, but rather a "new" program altogether from Apple's point of view, you could just have both for a while.

Yeah you can, I have both installed right now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This app is pretty good and pokeyman &co are also pretty good.

I think the [img] tag options should include the option to paste a link from the clipboard or write one in manually.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Page forward / back could use some kind of indicator that its doing something after you tap.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to see what version I'm running? I haven't seen the update yet - the 1.7/1.8/1.9 talk is for the Awful app with the horrible magenta background on startup, right?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I downloaded the new app for my iPad, and now whenever I visit any thread, the menu icon in the upper left corner completely disappears, making it impossible to get back to the forums/bookmarks list.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Edit: Okay, just realized that this has been replaced with a swipe right to bring the menu back. It would be great if there was some sort of guide to explain these kinds of changes.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 11, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

I downloaded the new app for my iPad, and now whenever I visit any thread, the menu icon in the upper left corner completely disappears, making it impossible to get back to the forums/bookmarks list.

Swipe from left to right.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

update is pretty awesome so far. only thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned yet is the buying / selling ribbons disappearing out of the icons in SA-Mart. Is that something that's going to be returning in a future version?

Spinal
Feb 2, 2006

Fantastic! Thank you pokeyman and gang!

No bugs that I've seen so far, loving it :aaa:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Does the update to "old" awful turn it into a redirect to the new one or can you still use it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Javid posted:

Does the update to "old" awful turn it into a redirect to the new one or can you still use it?

You can still use it, it just pops up a text box saying the app is moving over to a new developer.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but are the quote links going to be implemented in the app? Right now they just open up Safari.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I love this app and have used it since the first version came out! Thanks for making it/maintaining it!

Would it be possible for links within the forums (e.g. clicking on a name in a quote) to stay within the app? And I don't mean the in-app browser, I mean open the link as if you opened the thread via the menu.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Been using the updated app all day, good stuff. Nice work and thank you very much.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

qbert posted:

Edit: Okay, just realized that this has been replaced with a swipe right to bring the menu back. It would be great if there was some sort of guide to explain these kinds of changes.

Definitely a bug. The button should still be there.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

Definitely a bug. The button should still be there.
It's not but swipe works fine anyway.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Karthe posted:

Is there a way to see what version I'm running? I haven't seen the update yet - the 1.7/1.8/1.9 talk is for the Awful app with the horrible magenta background on startup, right?

No. The new version is a brand new app (at least as far as the App Store is concerned). There's a link in the OP.

Glad people are overall so positive about 1.7. 1.8 and 1.9 are the real nice ones though. Can't wait til they're out.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work that has gone into this app! :)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'd prefer the next page bar at the bottom of the thread to be taller. On iPad, I really have to stretch my thumb to reach it, and as I don't have noads, I keep almost tapping those. If there were only two posts loaded, it'd be nice if the bar actually stretched to fit the screen. I'd also like an accent/highlight colour when you tap it, so it's clear it registered.

In addition, I sometimes miss there's another page. I'd prefer the 'end of thread' bar to be a different colour. So I don't have to read the text, and can see at a glance.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do I remember seeing before about some way to upload a custom CSS to the app? I'm not as keen on the all white background on the bookmarks tab and I'd like to maybe add a Notification Centre type texture to it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have to say, the new app is pretty spiffy and I'm looking forward to the next couple versions.
That said, the refresh animation is kinda jarring. It's like the threads just kinda jump around unlike the smoothness I was used to in the old app.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

I use a black theme on my phone, so I made a new icon for the app to fit in with my theme. I was pretty happy with how it turned out so thought I'd share for others than might want to use it:

Here's the .PSD

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I'm surprised no one else has commented on this, maybe it's only me, but after clicking on any thread in my bookmarks it takes a good 2-3 seconds before anything happens. Old new iPad.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Just switched over to the new Awful app. The old one was my most-used app, so I'm expecting a similar experience - and it's excellent so far, thanks!

My only quibbles are the page jumping back to the oldest post (which was in the old Awful), the slight delay in loading a thread (which wasn't), and the absence of an in-app browser for thread links (which proved to be significantly more annoying than I expected). Otherwise, kudos on another job well done.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
After a longer browsing session, I have had a few black/unloaded pictures (though not nearly as many as before, and oddly enough in non-image-heavy threads), and I think one jumping-back-to-top instance. Still worlds better than what I was dealing with.

Also I do have a feature request- do you think one day we can get a "Copy image URL" option alongside "Save to Photos"? Sometimes I just want to send someone a link to an image (like say, a GIF) and to get the URL I have to open Quote, manually copy it out of the post, and click Cancel. Not super important but it would be nice someday :)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Enigma posted:

I love this app and have used it since the first version came out! Thanks for making it/maintaining it!

Would it be possible for links within the forums (e.g. clicking on a name in a quote) to stay within the app? And I don't mean the in-app browser, I mean open the link as if you opened the thread via the menu.

I'd like to second this. I love being able to click on names to go back and see context for a quote, but it doesn't work here. I don't know if it would open as a new "window" or what, but I'd like to have that working.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tardigrade posted:

Just switched over to the new Awful app. The old one was my most-used app, so I'm expecting a similar experience - and it's excellent so far, thanks!

My only quibbles are the page jumping back to the oldest post (which was in the old Awful), the slight delay in loading a thread (which wasn't), and the absence of an in-app browser for thread links (which proved to be significantly more annoying than I expected). Otherwise, kudos on another job well done.
I prefer the inapp browser too. I never use Safari and it's annoying to have to multitask back to Awful.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Please remove the dumb condescending conformation that pops up every time you make a reply. This doesn't appear on actual forums so it shouldn't in an app.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I'm also not a fan of having to switch to Safari for links. I liked that I could view a link and then go back to the thread with a single tap. If you're final on your decision that this is how it's going to work, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I definitely prefer having the in app browser.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
If you go to the "wake up your dog" thread in GBS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495585&pagenumber=1
then tap the link in the OP for the "wake up your cat" thread, the app tries to load it then crashes to springboard.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I'd also like the old method that showed the last reply to a thread. So when a username is long is bleeds into the page count.

Also please return to auto refreshing thread lists when you go back to them since this stuff changes quite oven.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

step aside posted:

I'm also not a fan of having to switch to Safari for links. I liked that I could view a link and then go back to the thread with a single tap. If you're final on your decision that this is how it's going to work, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I definitely prefer having the in app browser.

I agree with this, plus links from this forum can sometimes be difficult to explain if someone sees your history.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

step aside posted:

I second all of this as well as preferring the animation when refreshing threads be as it was in the old Awful. I really am not a fan of the refreshing threads thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

IUG posted:

As for myself, did I read before that the icon updates would be in a future version as well? I know I saw a highres icon for the Webcomics tag, but when I look at a topic with that icon, it's just blank for me.

Tons of new icons coming, as well as a way to get new ones to the app without an App Store update.

Baram posted:

update is pretty awesome so far. only thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned yet is the buying / selling ribbons disappearing out of the icons in SA-Mart. Is that something that's going to be returning in a future version?

Bit of an oversight, sorry. It'll come back, and I want to get Ask/Tell ribbons in too.

Enigma posted:

Definitely on the list.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do I remember seeing before about some way to upload a custom CSS to the app? I'm not as keen on the all white background on the bookmarks tab and I'd like to maybe add a Notification Centre type texture to it.

The only part we use CSS for is the posts screen, but yeah, you can customize that part. Here's the info for the current App Store version.

Magnus Praeda posted:

That said, the refresh animation is kinda jarring. It's like the threads just kinda jump around unlike the smoothness I was used to in the old app.

The lovely animation here is a side effect of the lovely way we were caching threads (namely, we were deleting them all every time). Now we're less lovely, so the animation should be too.

m0isty posted:

If you go to the "wake up your dog" thread in GBS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495585&pagenumber=1
then tap the link in the OP for the "wake up your cat" thread, the app tries to load it then crashes to springboard.

Fixed! In that it'll open in Safari for now, and in-app once we get that going again.

got dat wmd posted:

I'd also like the old method that showed the last reply to a thread.
OK

quote:

So when a username is long is bleeds into the page count.
What?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/fQiKc.jpg

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh, I thought those two sentences were somehow related. Thanks, fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
While I have you, please consider a toggle for the post notice. It's quite annoying.

Actually it reminds me of content warnings on government systems

• Locked thread