Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

KoB posted:

Is there any way to boost the sound output on my Nexus 7? Sometimes Im in the kitchen with fans and stuff going and it isnt quite loud enough.

I used Volume+ from the Play store and it seems to work fine. It is able to boost it up way way higher than you should, though, so be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

KoB posted:

Is there any way to boost the sound output on my Nexus 7? Sometimes Im in the kitchen with fans and stuff going and it isnt quite loud enough.

I picked up an external Bluetooth speaker that was been frankly stunning in terms of how it sounds. I got it on sale at Frys for 30 bucks. It's slightly bigger than a D-cell battery and a charge would probably last you a month of cooking.
I have a very short list of Bluetooth devices that don't send me into fits of rage, and this is near the top. Even not on sale, it's work every last penny:

http://www.zimrispeakers.com/bluetooth-wireless-black/

Oh, one thing to keep in mind; all speakers are more efficient when placed in a corner due to the boundary loading property of wave propagation. With a little speaker like this you can pick the frequency you want to boost by varying the distance to the apex of the corner.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Edit: Oh gently caress wrong thread

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mister Fister posted:

Edit: Oh gently caress wrong thread

Damnit, you beat me to loving you up.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Thermopyle posted:

Damnit, you beat me to loving you up.

*makes pistol shape out of index fingers/hands*
*blows on them*

That's my 90 wpm typing skills :smug:

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17204586

32 GB Nexus 7 for $229 w/free shipping after promo code RMN20

Still have to pay tax, of course, but cool deal.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Just chiming in to say I thought my 2011 Kindle Fire was a waste of money until I rooted/installed Jelly Bean on it this weekend.

Holy poo poo. I thought I got ripped off paying $169 for a refurb, but JB turned it into a whole new device. JB is my first experience with "proper" Android (not the hacked up Kindle Fire UI), and I'm absolutely loving it.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, I just got a Nexus 7 and it works great and all, but when I try to move any .mkv file onto it using windows, it just crashes the explorer. Any idea what's going on or how to fix it?

Nevermind, just had to uninstall the divx codec pack I had on my computer. Videos load way faster now, too.

PotU fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 9, 2012

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So I Googled and found no new entries since about August, but has Asus fixed the defects in the Nexus 7? I really liked the one I had at launch, but ended up returning it due to screen lift.

Also, any rumblings of a refresh any time soon, or would that not be expected until at least a year?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Update on Treegloo: They decided they would rather refund my money than to actually ship my case I've waited 4 months for. That being said, what cases have you guys bought other than Treegloo that you like and preferably has a magnet that turns the device on and off then you open and close the cover?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 9, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Soul Glo posted:

So I Googled and found no new entries since about August, but has Asus fixed the defects in the Nexus 7? I really liked the one I had at launch, but ended up returning it due to screen lift.

Also, any rumblings of a refresh any time soon, or would that not be expected until at least a year?

The consensus appears to be that it's fixed. Also, the recent availability of the 32gb model & reduction in price of the 16gb are the refresh. If you want the n7v2 you'll be waiting a year or so, no-one is actually sure.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

Update on Treegloo: They decided they would rather refund my money than to actually ship my case I've waited 4 months for. That being said, what cases have you guys bought other than Treegloo that you like and preferably has a magnet that turns the device on and off then you open and close the cover?

Ha ha ha, they're so awful. I just don't even care anymore. I got this email a week ago:

quote:

I'm so sorry for the extended delay with shipping your case.

We are still experiencing a backlog due to the heavy demand for this product. Your case will shipping out next week. For assurance, we will be issuing a tracking confirmation for your order by Monday.

Thank you again for your patience, and we really do apologize for the delays.

Regards,

Jen
Treegloo Products

Haven't heard anything since.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

RZA Encryption posted:

Haven't heard anything since.

Don't count on it soon, this was on September 7th:

quote:

Hi Ryan,

Our production queue is at approximately 14 business days. I checked the schedule and we are expecting to ship your order early in the week of September 17th.

Thank you for your patience!

Regards,

Jayne
Treegloo Products

Then on September 27th:

quote:

Hi Ryan,

We are catching up quickly to our queue, and I have a confirmed ship date for your order!

An accurate ship date would place your case ready between October 9th and October 11th.

Thank you very much for your patience, and I hope that you enjoy your case!

Regards,

Jen
Treegloo Products

Then on October 19th:

quote:

Hi Ryan,

Your case is shipping! Sorry for the little bit of delay. Your case was updated to include the improvements we have made to the Kinetic Latch, including a more streamlined frame, better angle for typing and viewing, and a thinner, yet stronger, latch.

A tracking number should have been sent to you earlier, but just in case, here it is: [redacted]

It may take a little while for the information to update. Once the package reaches the international border, we may not be able to track it on our end. However, in our experience, it will take the solid 10 business days for delivery, mainly due to the time spent in customs. Once it is past customs, you should be able to reference this tracking number with your local post office.

Thanks,

Jen
Treegloo Products

The shipping number was bullshit and so finally, today they refunded my order, instead of y'know, shipping the product.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What a shady company. Have they shipped any of them?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They must be spending more time on emailing their marks customers than on the product.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Mine actually arrived a couple of days ago. I'm still incredibly pissed, since I made it clear I wanted a refund if it wasn't ready to ship (I had decided I would just prefer one of those Blurex cases instead). By the time I realised the tracking info was a delaying tactic, they had finally posted it for real, so I had no recourse. I still haven't gotten a response from them about the shady business with the tracking information. Very shady and deceptive. The case is certainly nice, but I would never recommend them after all this bullshit. They seem to have no problem with blatantly misleading customers.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
http://event.asus.com/2012/tablet/nexus_7/

If you're in the UK/Europe and bought a Nexus 7 before October 29th, ASUS is giving out a £25/€30 coupon to spend at their store (shop.asus.com)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

IT Guy posted:

One of these is probably the best bet. Cheap, works, available in a million different colors on amazon (may be listed under different brand names, but they all look the same).

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automati...ds=nexus+7+case

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 9, 2012

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I love my Portenzo case. I have the BookCase- it looks just like a Moleskin notebook.
http://shop.portenzo.com/nexus

They also have real nice leather cases that look like fancy old books. If I could afford one, I would have one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Mine actually arrived a couple of days ago. I'm still incredibly pissed, since I made it clear I wanted a refund if it wasn't ready to ship (I had decided I would just prefer one of those Blurex cases instead). By the time I realised the tracking info was a delaying tactic, they had finally posted it for real, so I had no recourse. I still haven't gotten a response from them about the shady business with the tracking information. Very shady and deceptive. The case is certainly nice, but I would never recommend them after all this bullshit. They seem to have no problem with blatantly misleading customers.

Fairly sure that providing a shipping number and then not shipping an item is a breach of credit card contract. If you want to gently caress them over, report them to your credit card company.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

One of these is probably the best bet. Cheap, works, available in a million different colors on amazon (may be listed under different brand names, but they all look the same).

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automati...ds=nexus+7+case

I have this one and it's pretty much perfect.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The only issue I have with my treegloo case, apart from it taking 3 months to get here, is the power and volume buttons are completely inaccessible when used as a stand. I get that it's supposed to be like a book, but I would much prefer opening it 'backwards' if it meant I could press the buttons without having to pick it up.

It is better quality than most other cases I've seen / used, but not several-months-late-if-ever better.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
If you bought a 16GB Nexus 7 from Google Play on/after October 14th yet before the price drop, Google will refund you difference.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2667427&topic=2453057&ctx=topic

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Fairly sure that providing a shipping number and then not shipping an item is a breach of credit card contract. If you want to gently caress them over, report them to your credit card company.

I did look into it, but the CC company told me it didn't fit under any of their classifications for charge backs or anything, since Treegloo did actually send the item out (even though it was almost 2 weeks after they claimed) . It's like some frustrating loophole. If I had realised what they had pulled sooner I could have gone for a "goods not received" charge back. I'll contact the CC company again to double check if there's any other complaint I can lodge.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Is there a "just works" way to transfer files over 4GB from a Mac to a Nexus 7? Andriod.com/Filetransfer has a 4GB limit, airdroid is slow for some reason. What other options are out there?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Why not use the Android Mac file transfer utility? It is squirrely, but I have gotten multiple GBs on and off my phone and tablet with it.

Do we know if the Nexus 10 is coming to retail locations shortly after launch? My father in law is jonesing for a new Android tablet and wants to get his hands on one before he buys. If he can't hold the Nexus 10 he is going to buy a Tab 2 10.1. :suicide:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Vagrancy posted:

http://event.asus.com/2012/tablet/nexus_7/

If you're in the UK/Europe and bought a Nexus 7 before October 29th, ASUS is giving out a £25/€30 coupon to spend at their store (shop.asus.com)

Ha, the shop.asus.com site is down so I can't even see if there's anything I can get for £25 (maybe a case?)

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Nystral posted:

Is there a "just works" way to transfer files over 4GB from a Mac to a Nexus 7? Andriod.com/Filetransfer has a 4GB limit, airdroid is slow for some reason. What other options are out there?

I've used SwiFTP before on android and have transferred that way. May be worth a shot .

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Ha, the shop.asus.com site is down so I can't even see if there's anything I can get for £25 (maybe a case?)

Any idea what they'll take as proof of purchase?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Cakefool posted:

Any idea what they'll take as proof of purchase?

I just put in my serial number (off the sticker) and date of my Google receipt and it gave me the voucher just fine.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Argyle posted:

Just chiming in to say I thought my 2011 Kindle Fire was a waste of money until I rooted/installed Jelly Bean on it this weekend.

Holy poo poo. I thought I got ripped off paying $169 for a refurb, but JB turned it into a whole new device. JB is my first experience with "proper" Android (not the hacked up Kindle Fire UI), and I'm absolutely loving it.

Sweet Christmas, thank you! My dad had a Fire sitting around collecting dust ever since he abandoned it for an iPad 3, and this sure takes the sting out of my Iconia dying on me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
The 32 GB Nexus 7 is going to be $229 on black friday at office depot

http://www.fatwallet.org/black-friday/deals/Office-Depot/Office-Depot-Black-Friday-Nexus-7-7-Tablet-w-Nvidia-Tegra-3-Quad-Core-Android-41/

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I am thinking about buying the Google Nexus 10 on release day in Europe mostly for the advertised features but also something else important I couldn't really find any information on so I came here to ask. Besides the things a tablet is supposed to do I want it in part to play Dungeons and Dragons on. I know there are some character sheet and map apps but I have no idea how well they work, how well they scale to the bigger screen or how easy it is to just hook your pad up to a monitor or projector and display your map or movie.

If anybody has any experience with those things I'd really appreciate the help.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I just put in my serial number (off the sticker) and date of my Google receipt and it gave me the voucher just fine.

The site won't accept neither my SSN (C80... or C8O) nor the CSSN (taken from either the sticker or the "About Tablet" -> "System Info" page from the tabelet itself).
I checked for mixups of zeroes and O's etc., but no dice.
Super awesome, I feel like a real VIP here, Asus.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Morglon posted:

I am thinking about buying the Google Nexus 10 on release day in Europe mostly for the advertised features but also something else important I couldn't really find any information on so I came here to ask. Besides the things a tablet is supposed to do I want it in part to play Dungeons and Dragons on. I know there are some character sheet and map apps but I have no idea how well they work, how well they scale to the bigger screen or how easy it is to just hook your pad up to a monitor or projector and display your map or movie.

If anybody has any experience with those things I'd really appreciate the help.

Android 4.2 will have miracast which is an industry standard for mirroring your screen to another monitor. You need a compatible monitor though.

Here is some more information.
http://www.slashgear.com/how-does-android-4-2-jelly-bean-wireless-display-mirroring-work-29254650/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
So will the Nexus 7 have Miracast capabilities when it updates to 4.2?

I miss AirPlay from my iPad, and I'd be more than willing to spend $70 to get the Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 to do it with my N7.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ozmodiar posted:

So will the Nexus 7 have Miracast capabilities when it updates to 4.2?

I miss AirPlay from my iPad, and I'd be more than willing to spend $70 to get the Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 to do it with my N7.

Yes. Miracast is just a way of utilizing 802.11n WiFi so anything with a WiFi N radio and the right software/drivers can do it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Or get it today for $229 w/no tax and free shipping :v:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B32-32GB-Tablet-Quad-core-Tegra-3-Processor-/310502050925

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, what a deal. I wonder when/if the HSPA version hits stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes. Miracast is just a way of utilizing 802.11n WiFi so anything with a WiFi N radio and the right software/drivers can do it.

Thanks.

Unrelated:

Can someone explain how to actually read/interpret Better Battery Stats? I got it to help diagnose what was eating the battery on my N7, but I have no idea what (if anything) it's trying to tell me.