Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

seorin posted:

After you watch the TV coverage with the commentary, it will be really hard to go back. I keep meaning to cancel because of that price, but then the next sumo tournament is just around the corner.

Then again, I don't really know if the English commentary is as nice. I've never actually tried listening to it.

If it is the two Australian (I think?) guys that do the NHK English commentary, they are pretty good guys. I haven't watched a whole day of broadcast with them (just individual matches and leadups) but they seem to know what they are talking about and can be kinda funny too. Quite knowledgeable from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

If it is the two Australian (I think?) guys that do the NHK English commentary, they are pretty good guys. I haven't watched a whole day of broadcast with them (just individual matches and leadups) but they seem to know what they are talking about and can be kinda funny too. Quite knowledgeable from what I remember.

Yeah, the little bit of NHK English commentary that I've heard, I've enjoyed. I guess Mark Buckton did some thing where he streamed the basho and did commentary. I never checked it out, though because he's a jackass on the sumo forum so I just didn't bother. What would be great would be commentary from Pukulu as he's more or less a sumo encyclopedia.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
November 2012, day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBFjF4ePro.

Myogiryu v Tochinoshin, Myogiryu keeps charging in recklessly, and it blows up in his face if he can't bowl his opponent out like today.

Shohozan v Kotooshu, seems that Kotooshu hasn't kicked his habit of suddenly forgetting how to leverage his length and turn it into an advantage instead of a liability. If he keeps this up his prospects aren't that good but I won't be surprised if he ekes out a 8-7 or so finish.

Kakuryu v Goeido, someone has been incorporating some judo in their training routine it seems, and to great effect.

Hakuho v Aminishiki, maybe it's just me but Aminishiki's tachiai was a bit odd, stopping so abruptly. Didn't do him much good anyway.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Just Winging It posted:

November 2012, day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBFjF4ePro.

Hakuho v Aminishiki, maybe it's just me but Aminishiki's tachiai was a bit odd, stopping so abruptly. Didn't do him much good anyway.

With the quoted match, I think he stopped to prevent Hakuho from using that cheap elbow/forearm shiver he's been cold-cocking people with. Seemed to have worked but then he didn't capitalize.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've been wondering something, is there any significance to the color of the mawashi? Or does the wrestler just wear whatever color they want?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Last tournament's Harumafuji train was great, but it's still good to see Baruto back. :unsmith:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

I've been wondering something, is there any significance to the color of the mawashi? Or does the wrestler just wear whatever color they want?

As far as I know, no. Sometimes they change colors for a change of luck. They'll also wear different colors for special occasions like one day tournaments or other things like that. For instance, Hakuho wears a handsome gold mawashi for exhibition stuff and one day tournaments.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
On day one, Kotoshogiku got some of the shittiest cheering that I've ever heard for a hometown hero. Jesus.

Also in day 2 news Baruto fell on his right knee real hard. It looks like he might be pulling out again! I guess we'll see tomorrow!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

With the quoted match, I think he stopped to prevent Hakuho from using that cheap elbow/forearm shiver he's been cold-cocking people with. Seemed to have worked but then he didn't capitalize.

that's what i was thinking too.

i'm really glad to see jokoryu off to a good start, it's going to be really interesting to see whether he can pull off a KK in his first makuuchi tournament. whether he does or he doesn't, he's going places.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 2 thoughts:

Baruto vs. Shouhouzan that looked serious and I think Baruto will pull out and drop down in rank. He twisted that knee pretty bad there.

Hakuhou vs. Tochiouzan Hakuho nails him with an elbow to the face, this is his new MO so why not try delaying contact and moving to the side?

Harumafuji vs. Okinoumi Well it had to end some time, Harumafuji looked a little too slow during the match and couldn't get a good grip. Okinoumi did well to stay up long enough and get a big win.

This is shaping up to be a good 'un. It's still early however.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_kS7pEn6D4

Baruto v Shohozan, injuring his right knee like that with an already damaged left knee, Baruto is rapidly approaching seminal what-if status.

Hakuho v Tochiozan, looks like Aminishiki had the right idea yesterday denying Hakuho his should to the face act. Hopefully someone'll capitalize on it later on.

Harumafuji v Okinoumi, Harumafuji wasn't at his best, but I can't say that Okinoumi didn't earn his kinboshi.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
While between the days, I'll share a very short story about my brush with sumo in my recent trip to Japan.

On the way to get breakfast my wife and I were walking and I saw a mage above the other people. I was focused like "Watch it be a sumo or something." Three seconds later, it turns out it was a sumo on a bicycle. It was about 9:30AM so I guess they had finished AM training. It was really cool he was wearing a blue patterned yukata and had his hair all done up. Didn't look familiar, very young maybe 20 the most. Almost got hit because we were trying to avoid other bikes. Why the hell are they allowed to sidewalk-ride there?

I couldn't visit any beya because I didn't speak enough Japanese and we couldn't wake up in time. Oh well, it' something else to back for! :)

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Was randomly channel surfing at 2am the other night and caught the first day of the tournament thanks to the free TV Japan. Been tuning in ever since. Really enjoyable after I remembered this thread too.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Loqieu posted:

Was randomly channel surfing at 2am the other night and caught the first day of the tournament thanks to the free TV Japan. Been tuning in ever since. Really enjoyable after I remembered this thread too.

I'm pretty disappointed so far in what I've seen, myself. At least, disappointed in that they charge $25 for what is rather sub-par of a channel.

At least with UVerse - the info on the guide sucks and doesn't tell you what is which day, the coverage times seem to vary each day to where you might as well record the whole series instead of just a certain time slot, subtitles don't work, and in 2 of the 3 videos I checked the "English" audio feed was still Japanese. Also, Kintamayama's HQ feed looks better on my phone than TV Japan on my 58".

Also, Day 3

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
none of the bouts today were all that thrilling, but hakuho's match (and his eventual winning method) were interesting. shame about the lousy start so far for myogiryu, i hope he pulls himself together. also a shame about baruto, when he's healthy i see him as every bit as good as the rest of the current group of ozeki. hope he comes back strong next basho.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aoiyama v Aran, aptly demonstrates the effect of not having to go up against the top guys from day one and getting bulldozered into an early makekoshi. Aran on the other hand seems to have kicked his henka habit entirely.

Myogiryu v Aminishiki, ditto on what a false said. If Myogiryu wants to have a chance of making ozeki, he'll need to step up his game and win more of these matches versus maegashira.

Baruto v Goeido, Baruto pulled a muscle in the back of his left thigh yesterday. Hopefully he'll recover but it might not be in time for the next tournament depending on the severity of the injury.

Harumafuji v Tochiozan, today's performance was much more like the previous two tournaments, hopefully he'll continue on like this.

Hakuho v Okinoumi, admirable effort there by Okinomi, but Hakuho demonstrated why he's been top dog for such a long time.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 13, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Baruto v Goeido, Baruto's injury concerns seem to be piling up. Maybe he should sit out the January basho and really heal. If he is back in healthy form he can easily win a tourney or two.

Harumafuji v Tochiozan, That's the way a yokozuna does it! Bounces right back, let's see if there's consistancy here.

Hakuho v Okinoumi, Didn't see the Hakuho elbow there but he did really well. I like that belly slap even if it didn't really do anything. Maybe a feint? Either way you slice it, he's yokozuna for a reason.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm pretty disappointed so far in what I've seen, myself. At least, disappointed in that they charge $25 for what is rather sub-par of a channel.

At least with UVerse - the info on the guide sucks and doesn't tell you what is which day, the coverage times seem to vary each day to where you might as well record the whole series instead of just a certain time slot, subtitles don't work, and in 2 of the 3 videos I checked the "English" audio feed was still Japanese. Also, Kintamayama's HQ feed looks better on my phone than TV Japan on my 58".

Also, Day 3

Plus, if you have a PS3 (or I assume Xbox has it as well) you can use the youtube app to watch Kintamayama's videos on your TV. Doesn't look too bad.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Not basho related but every time a tourney rolls around I can' help but listen to this at least once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-C4UL4BGFk

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Fryhtaning posted:

Pretty much this. The inconsistency for showing the sumo matches is awful, though I still really like the commentary. It's not really the channel itself so much as the NHK coverage which is awesome. The channel just happens to show the same NHK coverage they show in Japan.

All my favorite rikishi keep losing this tournament. :( Except Yoshikaze, who is doing great.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Reminds of me of way back when Eurosport air some sumo, just the highlight reel from the NHK with a local commentator although some of them were godawful. Last time it came on was '08 or '09, but I guess early 90s pro wrestling gets more viewers.

Anyway, have day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH_fGW7AMo.

Chiyotairyu v Miyabiyama, Chiyotairyu has been going well so far, hopefully this means he's adapted well to his changed weight and physical condition.

Hakuho v Kaisei, Hakuho seems to be intent on not losing another tournament this year.

Apparently, Baruto's injury is going to take three weeks to recover, so he'll probably be back in January to take a stab at getting repromoted.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Yoshikaze continues to do his best to fill the void left by Takanoyama in making lower makuuchi more interesting.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
My thoughts so far on day 4:

Jokoryu: He seems to be having a rough go at his first makuuchi tournament. I'm really not worried about him, though. He seems to have a lot of talent. He just needs more experience.

Kotooshu: I'm not surprised, really. He always seems to not give a poo poo until he's under the gun. I don't know what the deal is. Does he just want to quit but can't because he wants to stay for the money? I don't know.

Aran: Aran is pleasantly surprising me. I figured that all that henka-ing earlier was because he was getting worse and was desperate but it seems like he can actually make a go at things when he really tries. I seem to remember reading something in October or early November about how he was going for a special prize in honor of his oyakata's birthday or anniversary in sumo or something. It seems like he's doing just that.

and finally, our favorite goony rikishi Chiyotairyu: He seems to be bouncing back after his diabetes diagnosis. Really happy for him and hoping he keeps it up throughout the tournament.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_6laQN3mg

Jokoryu: still struggling. I agree with Dr. Radical's assessment though - he just needs more experience. I don't expect him to stick in Makuuchi this time around though.

Chiyotairyu: still going strong, performing pretty flawlessly right now. Hopefully he keeps it up when he has to face some tougher opponents - so far he looks like one of the better maegashira, but I doubt he's ready for sanyaku

Toyonoshima: although he's been good and is still among the leaders, I don't expect that to last

Kotooshu: looks like he's going to continue his long streak of KK when kadoban- once again I agree with Dr. Radical, he seems disinterested except for when it really matters

Myogiryu: totally agree with Kintamayama, he's trying too hard and leaving himself exposed. he needs to relax and rely on technique like he usually does

Shohozan v. Kisenosato: easily the best match of this basho so far, for my money almost as good as Harumafuji-Hakuho from last basho - with different stakes, obviously

Yokozuna: Hakuho looks pretty drat confident that he's not gonna lose right now, although Harumafuji looks to have his legs back under him. Also, I sort of feel bad for Kaisei, I've liked his spirit in his matches so far but he just doesn't have the stuff to beat the big guys. I feel like he'll be bouncing in and out of high-maegashira and the sanyaku ranks for a while, maybe trading places with guys like Aoiyama.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Ikioi, went up and down between Makuuchi and Juryo a couple of times, but this time he seems to have what it takes to remain in the top division. If anything, that should serve as an example for Jokoryu that even if he goes back to Juryo again, he'll just have more experience the next time.

Kotooshu, I wonder if he'll be a contender for the eventual tournament victory because really, everything people have said so far rings very true. He'll probably just coast after he gets his eight win though. Anyway, tomorrow he's up against Kakuryu and we'll see how he performs then.

Shohozan v Kisenosato, nice win there by Shohozan, both of them keeping their cool during the glare-off, beating three out of four ozeki thus far.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPl-E1wkMaY

Aoiyama v Tokitenku, I'm not sure how to label that action by Tokitenku. Sidestep-swipe or something. Anyway, nice blitz win there.

Goeido v Kisenosato, Goeido is looking good so far, probably his best performance so far as a sekiwake.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
there were a few really lame matches today, but a few rikishi are making this a very exciting basho overall, namely Shohozan, Ikioi, Yoshikaze, and Goeido. all of them have been consistently fun to watch.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Just Winging It posted:

Aoiyama v Tokitenku, I'm not sure how to label that action by Tokitenku. Sidestep-swipe or something. Anyway, nice blitz win there.

That's called a foot sweep.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Wakanosato v Chiyotairyuu Chiyotairyuu looks like he overcommited there and Wakanosato did well to turn that against him, smart play.

Asahishou v Joukouryuu I think that's it for Joukouryuu, he doesn't seem to find a feel for the match and looks a bit off the pace.

Yoshikaze v Toyonoshima Now that's a great match. High paced exciting to watch.

Aoyama v Tokitenkuu Looks like whiffed kick, what a lame match, Aoyama deserved better than that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Funkysauce posted:

Aoyama v Tokitenkuu Looks like whiffed kick, what a lame match, Aoyama deserved better than that.

That's a foot sweep and it owned.

e: seriously what's with people complaining about the most awesome move of the tournament so far?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 16, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's a foot sweep and it owned.

e: seriously what's with people complaining about the most awesome move of the tournament so far?

I have no problem with the kick, I never did. I love it, it just looked like he whiffed it and there was a slip is all. I don't think there was contact that directly caused the end of the match. I'll go back and watch it again.

Edit: After watching it 5 more times, I think he most definitely whiffed it.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
This tournament is really justifying my love for Yoshikaze. :swoon:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Prediction: All of those who are undefeated will lose 2 more matches and it will all come down to an undefeated Hakuho against a 14-1 Harumafuji. At least I hope. That would be some suspense right there.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also has anyone noticed Takamisakari's keshomawashi? http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/ozumo_meikan/rikishi_joho/rikishi_120.html

Is that by any chance in reference to his nickname of "Robocop"?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBED5RrLLVg

Aoiyama v Shotenro, somebody has been watching Hakuho and thought: what works for him will work for me.

Myogiryu v Kisenosato, Myogiryu is looking better, but with two more ozeki and both yokozuna yet to come I have my doubts whether he'll make it to eight wins.

Okinoumi v Kotooshu, that's what you get for not apologizing after jumping the gun. Besides it looks like Kotooshuu is starting to coast already.

As far as predictions go: I seriously doubt that Goeido will remain undefeated. Hakuho on the other hand is looking good enough to go undefeated into the final day, so if Harumafuji can avoid picking up another loss, it'll be between them.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's called a foot sweep.

But of course :downs:.

Dr.Radical posted:

Also has anyone noticed Takamisakari's keshomawashi? http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/ozumo_meikan/rikishi_joho/rikishi_120.html

Is that by any chance in reference to his nickname of "Robocop"?

Seems as if it's a donation from some sort of charity organization (the Lions International/CENTURY若獅子会 one). This one on the other hand possibly is.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I vaguely remember the Lions International one, but I was talking about the robot.

Not a ton of surprises today. Well, except for Kotoshogiku vs. Kakuryu. You rear end in a top hat, Kakuryu!!!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm not sure who all here checks out sumoforum.net so I'll just post these rikishi quotes for day 7 here:

Kintamayama posted:

Aran, doing straightforward sumo only this basho: "I'm finished with henka. I used to feel shame when I used to watch my sumo on video.. I will gambarize in Makuuchi till June when we go to Moscow!!"

Masunoyama, after the pathetic matchup between him and Daidou-two seemingly seriously injured rikishi: "I think my opponent found it hard to fight.. As long as I manage to win, I will go all out and do my best.. "

Daidou, on not going kyujo: "I just twisted the ankle. Doesn't hurt much.. If I don't do better sumo I will disrespect the fans.."

Toyonoshima, avoiding consecutive losses and winning: " Today, a win or a loss made a big difference. I'd like to continue on this path so that I may face the Ozeki/Yokozuna in the second half.."

Myougiryuu, getting a morozashi hold against Kisenosato and attacking him, yet losing for the fifth time: "I had a chance to win, but I just couldn't attack..At the end, my waist just 'floated'."

Okinoumi, facing Goueidou tomorrow: "He is unbeaten and that makes me feel worked up.. I'll get into the mode and gambarize like I did when I got that kinboshi on day 2.."

Kotooushuu, getting his second loss: "I'll spring back". Tomorrow he faces Yokozuna Harumafuji. "Tomorrow is tomorrow!"

Takekaze, getting oshidashid by Yokozuna Harumafuji, 5th straight loss: "The win/loss thing is important, but the fact I got to face the Yokozuna builds up my confidence. It means I am still good enough to face him!!"

Hakuhou, winning all his keiko bouts against Goueidou before the basho: "The guys who trained with me are doing well, I guess.. But the keiko-ba and honbasho are not the same."

Ikioi, calmly winning his 6th: "I'm able to 'see' my opponents well. While going at it earnestly, I also am composed ." This is his third time in Makuuchi, and this time around he got to train with the Yokozuna during the jungyo. "I am mentally prepared and it shows in the results.. With every day that passes, I become more aware and it's getting hard to fall asleep. I'd like to face my opponents without thinking about them too much, one day, one bout, doing the best I can "

So there you have it re: Aran. Ashamed of his old ways and turning over a new leaf. Good for him!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Seems as if it's a donation from some sort of charity organization (the Lions International/CENTURY若獅子会 one). This one on the other hand possibly is.

I may be missing something here, but both of those look like the same one.

Has anyone else noticed that even though some matches have been very spirited, a lot of the wrestlers themselves seem more :smith: than usual? Then on the other end of the spectrum, there's Hakuho who has nearly reached Asashoryu levels of :smug: and face-smashiness.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
That was the most amazing henka I've ever seen. I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Aoiyama v Shotenro: Jesus Christ, I thought I was gonna see teeth on the dohyo!

seorin posted:

That was the most amazing henka I've ever seen. I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was hilarious.

I laughed but felt bad for laughing.