Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
I was wondering: If I have a time machine backup made in Lion, will I be able to successfully migrate the data from this backup into a fresh install of Snow Leopard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is anyone experiencing issues with the latest MacBook Air system update? I'm getting a ton of beach balls and errors on a 2012 13"

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Can I sell a MBP with Mountain Lion if the purchaser didn't buy it?

If so, how can I set the MBP up to be ready for him? Just boot from recovery?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Irritated Goat posted:

Can I sell a MBP with Mountain Lion if the purchaser didn't buy it?

If so, how can I set the MBP up to be ready for him? Just boot from recovery?

It seems like it should just be available from now on from recovery.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Those are definitely new drivers for the Intel HD 4000 chip, the amount of RAM they reserve has always been software-selectable. Up to 768 MB for the HD 4000.
By software-selectable do you mean user-selectable? And if so, how can I access these options (both under OS X and Windows 7)? This is the first laptop I've owned without a discrete GPU and I'm still clueless on some stuff :shobon:

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Can anyone suggest a program that checks DVDs (movies) for errors?

I used to use this

http://dvdisaster.net/en/

But it doesn't run on Lion or Mountain Lion. I haven't been able to find anything else OS X that checks the health of a DVD...really all I want to do is check a stack of movies to see which ones have errors. I don't want to sit around watching each one seeing if they skip or not, I'd rather just check real quick in a program and get rid of any defective discs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Another Keynote question: I'm trying to make a theme with two pictures/logos and saved the theme. When I make a new document, the theme preview shows the new theme with these logos in them, but when I create the document these logos aren't there. What am I doing wrong?

e: I tried with eps, pdf, and jpeg images for the logos, and in the preferences have 'copy theme images into document' ticked.

e2:

Seriously? I just purchased and downloaded Keynote today from the App Store. Keynote, one of Apple's major apps, isn't even up to date with their own services? :wtc:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 11, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ iWork.com was an old cloud-storage initiative; it has been supplanted by iCloud's Documents in the Cloud. Personally, I don't bother using any of that stuff - I don't see the appeal of using iWork on iOS, and if you're sharing between multiple Macs, better to use the tried and true method of Dropbox sharing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2:

Seriously? I just purchased and downloaded Keynote today from the App Store. Keynote, one of Apple's major apps, isn't even up to date with their own services? :wtc:
It should be — mine certainly is. Most likely, they've just not pre-packaged the store version with the updates that replace iWork with iCloud (an explanation that would raise a question or two of its own).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lexicon posted:

^ iWork.com was an old cloud-storage initiative; it has been supplanted by iCloud's Documents in the Cloud. Personally, I don't bother using any of that stuff - I don't see the appeal of using iWork on iOS, and if you're sharing between multiple Macs, better to use the tried and true method of Dropbox sharing.

Yes I know what iWork is.

Tippis posted:

It should be — mine certainly is. Most likely, they've just not pre-packaged the store version with the updates that replace iWork with iCloud (an explanation that would raise a question or two of its own).

This is what I thought too, that they just haven't updated the App Store version, which is actually really loving stupid on Apple's part.

My question about themes still isn't answered. It's not just the pictures—theme elements that I add (say, my name on the bottom of every page, next to the page number) don't show up either. I'm extremely put off by this and I can't believe I spent $20 on this piece of shitware that doesn't "just work" unlike Powerpoint which "just works."

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Faxbart posted:

Has anyone found a good solution to the OS X mouse acceleration issue? I just picked up my first Mac in 15 years and it's about to go back to the store if I can't get this straightened out. How Apple can mess up something as simple and fundamental as mouse movement, I have no idea.

I've been using this: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=194668

It works exactly how I want it to, just the raw input and doesn't mess with the trackpad, essentially the same as Windows set to 6/11 with "Enhance Pointer Precision" disabled. You lose access to changing mouse speed via OS X's preferences though (it will just re-enable accel until you restart), and for some mice that have too high of a default dpi that can be a problem. It was designed to work with third party software that lets you change the dpi, but I haven't tried that out.

There is also the SmoothMouse project that is supposedly working on another fix: http://d43.me/blog/categories/smoothmouse/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes I know what iWork is.

Well done, I guess? I didn't claim otherwise. :confused:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mammal Sauce posted:

By software-selectable do you mean user-selectable?

No, I know at least on OS X it's done at the driver level. Intel has a page about the HD 4000 with a link to a Windows only BIOS fudging utility that lets you select how much RAM can be reserved for video, but I havent tried it; it may only be for Windows XP. As for the Apple side, fuhgedaboutit, Apple rarely allows this level of fudging at user level.

On the Windows side, the HD 4000 is supposed to be capable of reserving/sharing up to 1,720 MB of main RAM.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Holy poo poo Keynote is a complete mess and disaster. In the slideshow rehearse mode there's an elapsed time timer, which is great, except there's no way to start the timer. Pressing the arrow key only changes the slide but doesn't start the drat timer. There's a help menu here showing me all the keyboard shortcuts. That's great, but there's no shortcut for STARTING. I tried pressing some of the keys in the help menu to see if they'd start the timer, but nope, none of them starts it.

On a lark, I press 'p' for play and sure enough, the timer started. Great! Now how do I stop it? Pressing 'p' again doesn't pause it. The help menu says I can press 'f' to pause it but it doesn't. It also says I can press 'b' as well, but nope, that doesn't do it either.

So seriously gently caress Keynote. It's a complete piece of poo poo and I sent an email to Apple Support through their webform to get a drat refund. I guess I'll give that $20 to Microsoft instead because at least PowerPoint loving works.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Holy poo poo Keynote is a complete mess and disaster. In the slideshow rehearse mode there's an elapsed time timer, which is great, except there's no way to start the timer.

Which version of Keynote are you using? Because my elapsed timer begins when I press the right arrow and move to the second slide...

Edit: I see you purchased it today. I have no idea why mine works and yours doesn't. Weird.

vtlock fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 11, 2012

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pressing the arrow key only changes the slide but doesn't start the drat timer.

Works for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

vtlock posted:

Which version of Keynote are you using? Because my elapsed timer begins when I press the right arrow and move to the second slide...

Edit: I see you purchased it today. I have no idea why mine works and yours doesn't. Weird.

Just purchased and downloaded from the App Store yesterday.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Frog Lip posted:

What's a good PDF reader and editor? Basically, I just need to fill out some forms in PDF and print them, it's not a lot of them, so if it's cheap or free that would be great.

Preview for reading, PDFPen for editing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Holy poo poo Keynote is a complete mess and disaster. In the slideshow rehearse mode there's an elapsed time timer, which is great, except there's no way to start the timer. Pressing the arrow key only changes the slide but doesn't start the drat timer. There's a help menu here showing me all the keyboard shortcuts. That's great, but there's no shortcut for STARTING. I tried pressing some of the keys in the help menu to see if they'd start the timer, but nope, none of them starts it.

On a lark, I press 'p' for play and sure enough, the timer started. Great! Now how do I stop it? Pressing 'p' again doesn't pause it. The help menu says I can press 'f' to pause it but it doesn't. It also says I can press 'b' as well, but nope, that doesn't do it either.

So seriously gently caress Keynote. It's a complete piece of poo poo and I sent an email to Apple Support through their webform to get a drat refund. I guess I'll give that $20 to Microsoft instead because at least PowerPoint loving works.

Goddamn Apple! :bahgawd:

(Sounds like a PEBKAC error to me)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nern posted:

I was wondering: If I have a time machine backup made in Lion, will I be able to successfully migrate the data from this backup into a fresh install of Snow Leopard?
Nope.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Kind of weird question:

I've got two separate networks in the house. Two DSL modems and two Time Capsules. What I'd like is for network A to be able to see the devices on network B and vice versa. I've got an iMac with an ethernet connection to network A and a WiFi connection to network B. How can I bridge these two networks together so the local traffic flows between the networks but the DHCP and internet isn't affected?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just be glad you didn't get the iTools, .Mac or .Me versions instead! :downs:

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Experto Crede posted:

[multiple instances of same app in Open With fix]

Thanks, been meaning to fix this on my machines and this did it. (I just relaunched Finder instead of rebooting and that worked.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

The point here is that the current Keynote has some button to save to iWork.com or something, a service that doesn't exist anymore?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

timb posted:

Kind of weird question:

I've got two separate networks in the house. Two DSL modems and two Time Capsules. What I'd like is for network A to be able to see the devices on network B and vice versa. I've got an iMac with an ethernet connection to network A and a WiFi connection to network B. How can I bridge these two networks together so the local traffic flows between the networks but the DHCP and internet isn't affected?

This is a question of routing more than anything else. You need to make sure that your wireless routers are actually ACTING as routers, have physical access to one another and that all devices on both networks have the correct network/subnet configurations to talk to one another.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Speaking of current Keynote, I learned an important lesson today. Even though you might automatically think

self posted:

"Gosh I should really update Keynote '09 so that this horrible bug doesn't keep plaguing me at critical times; there's no way that that '09 could be the current version--to the app store I go. :wtf: why is Keynote '09 opening again after purchase??"

you should never assume. :10bux::10bux: down the drain.

Keynote '09: "The best there will ever be (because we're not loving updating it)"

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Experto Crede posted:

Try running

code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
In terminal and rebooting.

This worked! Thank you.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Stuck at a seminar without my charger, so I'm dimming the light to save battery life (down to 1). However, my MBP insists on upping the brightness whenever I wake the screen up. Why? Not a big problem, but kind of irritating.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Xabi posted:

Stuck at a seminar without my charger, so I'm dimming the light to save battery life (down to 1). However, my MBP insists on upping the brightness whenever I wake the screen up. Why? Not a big problem, but kind of irritating.

Have you got it set to automatically adjust the brightness depending on how bright it is where you are? (System Preferences > Displays, the tickbox underneath the slider)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Indeed I had. Thanks!

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
Does anyone know anything about Bootcamp? I'm trying to use an .iso with a Windows 7 installation on it, but as both a USB and DVD image, Windows 7 freezes during installation. It gets to the startup screen, before I've selected any options, and freezes right before playing the animation. I've tried every combination of both partitioning and burning the .iso to USB/DVD with Boot Camp Assistant and Disk Utility.

Oddly this happened on an earlier partition that I had XP on; it just froze during startup. Since then I cloned, wiped, and reverse cloned my HD, though.

I'm trying a completely new .iso but if that doesn't work I'm really stumped. I'm afraid the same root cause that made my earlier partition fail is causing the installation to freeze on my new one.

I'm on a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro, 64-bit, on 10.8.2.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is Firefox 16.02 goofing up for anyone else?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Bob Morales posted:

Is Firefox 16.02 goofing up for anyone else?

I've seen that happen when i full-screen some apps but it never sticks around like that.

edit: Tested 16.02 on the latest ML and that hasn't happened to me yet.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Is there any decent system temperature monitoring and also fan-setting applications out? I did a fresh install of ML onto my MBP and I did have one that I really liked, but I completely forget the name. It was really simple, it reported the temperature and you could set the fan to 'default' or 'higher RPM'. Does anyone know the name of it?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

smcFanControl?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

terriyaki posted:

smcFanControl?

I didn't think it was smc, though I guess I'll just download that anyway, thanks!

Edit: I'm retarded and can't recognise things, that's exactly it, thanks a lot!

Guni fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 14, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
iStat will also do fans/temp if you're looking for other menu bar services as well. (I've been using their battery and clock replacements for the last two years as well. Much prettier than MenuMeters.)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I guess this question transcends iOS and OS X, but here we go: my girlfriend and I have a shared iCloud reminder list. It works in the sense that a reminder put on by one person shows up in the other person's iCloud reminder client(s). However, these shared reminders don't fire alerts for some reason! The notification count gets updated appropriately, and then show as "overdue" in the today list beyond their set time, but they never actually fire. Personal ones work fine.

Any idea why? It's so annoying, as it's so close to working correctly.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
So when I use Skype with my friends I like to play sounds back at them. However instead of them being picked up via my microphone, I'd ideally like to play them on my computer and have them mixed into my microphone feed as well as hearing them.
I tried using soundflower, but I couldn't get it to actually do anything close to what I want.

Can anyone suggest something that might work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: Nvm, it's in Documents!