Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And lampshade hanging is a stupid boring injoke on TV Tropes.

Bad joke ouroboros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's also that picture of the creepy guy who runs the site with a lampshade on his head but I do not have it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Donkwich posted:

It's on their logo, based on the trope Lampshade Hanging.

poo poo how did I not figure that out? Probably because I haven't actually visited TVtropes in a while.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

There's also that picture of the creepy guy who runs the site with a lampshade on his head but I do not have it.

This one?

Buh
May 17, 2008
It's perfect for their logo really. Hanging a Lampshade is one of those things that seems really interesting and clever when you first hear about it, and you tell a couple people about it, but eventually so many people hear about it that it stops being novel and you just sort of forget about it.

Unless you're troper, in which case you continue to congratulate yourself for being so clever that you understand this simple concept and can make giant lists of times it was used in a cartoon for eight year olds. So meta!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What is the origin/meaning of :geno: again?

Always thought it represented 'indifference', ex. :effort:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

StandardVC10 posted:

Why is the TV Troper smilie wearing what appears to be a lampshade? :tvtropes:

The inherent greatness of this smiley is that the question asked was "Why is there a lampshade on it" and not "Why the hell is he saying rape over and over?"

It just...speaks for itself, really :buddy:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jackard posted:

What is the origin/meaning of :geno: again?

Always thought it represented 'indifference', ex. :effort:
To the history mobile!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Thanks for buying :wow:, whoever it was who bought :wow:.

The reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJrn9MlXN8

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What's the deal with this banner ad?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm curious about the origin of :newlol:? It's been recently added yes?

It immediately brought me back to my early internet days of fuckedcompany http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucked_Company but it could pre date that with out me knowing.

This website was one of the first I saw that did things like anonymous posting and board raids etc. I'm sure it must have had a big cross over of users with here.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
There's a poster with a title of I Pegged Monkey Mike, that sounds like there could be something funny behind it, is it like that strapon called Frank?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LordSaturn posted:

click it, it's a joke.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Psalmanazar posted:

click it, it's a joke.

Since he linked it in his post directly, I'm going to assume he knows.

Real dude, it's just a joke? Why would somebody spend $35 on that? Because they're an absolute moron. No other reason than that.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

who made this?

how did the guy who ogles me when I sign into my outlook.com email get in there

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Suspicious Dish posted:

Real dude, it's just a joke? Why would somebody spend $35 on that? Because they're an absolute moron. No other reason than that.

Right, yeah, I get that it's a joke, I guess I just wondered if there was more joke someplace. The stock photo of the woman with her head in the laptop cracks me up. :D

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Suspicious Dish posted:

Since it's a link to something on the somethingawful.com servers, and it's not actually selling anything, it probably only cost $8.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Somebody please tell me how this glorious thing came about.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

SporkTSI posted:

I have no clue, but when looking at it I immediately thought of this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

SporkTSI posted:

It's a phiz thing, judging by the url.

That and the fact that -wave is to music as -gate is to political snafus and there you go.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I thought the wave was because the black line forms a sinusoidal wave.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Maybe an audiophile thing? Completely smooth sinewave, and being smug about it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Guesticles posted:

I saw it on Games so that seems unlikely. Maybe it's just for being smug?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there also a psynewave made up of psyducks?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does anyone know who is in the "Don't go there!" image used when a thread is closed? It might have been mentioned here before.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guesticles posted:

Or just waves and waves of smug. Is horrifying.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The Dave posted:

Does anyone know who is in the "Don't go there!" image used when a thread is closed? It might have been mentioned here before.

I used the forums search with the query "don't go there" threadid:3484928 to find an answer in this thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

helopticor posted:

I used the forums search with the query "don't go there" threadid:3484928 to find an answer in this thread.

Thanks! I'm pretty retarded with that search page.

If anyone wants to help us finish all the icons in the iPhone app Awful, only 6 post icons remain, and I need help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/fyad-madmax.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/lf-burden.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/phiz-ant.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/phiz-robojax.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/YCS-01.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/ycs-violence.gif

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Well, this one's from Robot Jox, and I serendipitously remembered just having seen it in the MechWarrior Online thread in Games:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

In the DS game Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, there are two characters you can switch between with a single button press, and when you switch your current character calls out the other's name. Thus, JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! etc.

Video demonstration

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is just taken from the difficulty select in DOOM.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

This is just taken from the difficulty select in DOOM.

Which version of DOOM though?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Not to turn this into an "explain FYAD to me" thread, but what was the deal with the previous FYAD title, "Transfer of file Dio - Holy Diver 8-bit.mp3 complete"?

It seems to come from this series of chat transcripts with a guy named Demonius, but that just raises even more questions...

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
You know what has been bothering me recenty? Looking at this :holymoley: emote, and getting some real deja vu from it without being able to pinpoint who exactly is that dude.

Care to enlighten me, goons?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WorkingPeer posted:

Not to turn this into an "explain FYAD to me" thread, but what was the deal with the previous FYAD title, "Transfer of file Dio - Holy Diver 8-bit.mp3 complete"?

It seems to come from this series of chat transcripts with a guy named Demonius, but that just raises even more questions...

Someone in Fyad has been playing a long con to get DemoniousX to say/do stupid poo poo and that's part of it. Also I think they bought him a flashlight and he specified that it should be the smallest penis size available. The highlights are in the OP of the thread which may or may not have been moved to the gold one yet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I hope you mean fleshlight. Wait, did DemoniusX himself specify the size of the fleshlight? Why would you even clarify if someone offered?

Though DemoniusX was responsible for katana_sheathe.gif

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Jippa posted:

I'm curious about the origin of :newlol:? It's been recently added yes?

It immediately brought me back to my early internet days of fuckedcompany http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucked_Company but it could pre date that with out me knowing.

This website was one of the first I saw that did things like anonymous posting and board raids etc. I'm sure it must have had a big cross over of users with here.

That was an old smiley on Trillian like ten years ago. At least, that's the first thing I think of.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phobophilia posted:

I hope you mean fleshlight. Wait, did DemoniusX himself specify the size of the fleshlight? Why would you even clarify if someone offered?

Though DemoniusX was responsible for katana_sheathe.gif

Oh yeah, sorry about being autocorrected. Yeah he did specify. I don't know why, I was laughing too hard to give a poo poo.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Thwack! posted:

You know what has been bothering me recenty? Looking at this :holymoley: emote, and getting some real deja vu from it without being able to pinpoint who exactly is that dude.

Care to enlighten me, goons?

That's Tucker Carlson, former cohost of Crossfire on CNN. Bow ties and (IIRC) "holy moley" were his informal trademarks. Couldn't say about the wink, although it's obviously a reference to the other winking smilies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Under what circumstances did Sports Argument Stadium get its asterisk? I always figured it had to do with baseball steroids, but many SAS in-jokes seem to actually have an elaborate and specific history so I could be completely wrong.