Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

I've got a bit of a hankering for an open world-ish fantasy RPG for PC. Substantial character customisation/progression is a must because yes, I totally do like playing virtual dress-up. :shobon: Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur (and Darksiders 2, if anything was going to bring it up) are out, but I think those are the only recent entries in the genre I've played. Something I've been eyeing despite it being a MMO (single player really is all I care about) is Guild Wars 2, but maybe that isn't a good choice? I don't know!

The most obvious one to me seems Dark Souls. It is the premier fantasy dress-up simulator of today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Osmosisch posted:

The most obvious one to me seems Dark Souls. It is the premier fantasy dress-up simulator of today.
Unfortunately it's also pretty much the antithesis of what I find fun otherwise, so that's a no-go.

Sounds like GW2 might come closest to what I'm looking for. Who would have thought? Not me, that's for sure.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

Unfortunately it's also pretty much the antithesis of what I find fun otherwise, so that's a no-go.

Sounds like GW2 might come closest to what I'm looking for. Who would have thought? Not me, that's for sure.

Dragon's Dogma might be worth a look. It's similar to Dark Souls but much more action-y (it's basically Monster Hunter meets Western mythology). It can be difficult in parts, but mostly because there isn't any kind of indicator as to how strong enemies are, so it's easy to wander into an area and get overwhelmed because you thought the quest to kill some bandits you just got would be just as easy as the other quest to kill some (different) bandits was. In terms of overall difficulty it's not nearly as punishing; it's mostly "hard" in that it doesn't tend to hold your hand - even in a couple cases when it kind of should.

It has a bunch of character customization, some of which actually affects gameplay (longer arms gives you better reach, etc.), although not to a broken extent. There's also a ton of armour and clothing you can play around with.

Plus you can climb up a Cyclops and stab it in the eye!

*edit*

Oh my bad - I missed the part about PC only.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 8, 2012

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Unless I'm missing something (i.e. Wikipedia and Google are lying to me), Dragon's Dogma hasn't had a PC release, has it?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Esmerelda posted:

I'm looking for something like God of War 3 for my friend. He isn't much of a gamer but he really loves that game, I think it's the various ways that things die or something. Beyond the other two games in that series, is there anything that has the same sort of style of game play?
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
rear end Creed 3 has left me with a hankering, specifically for THE HIGH SEAS!
Is there a game out there that is all about managing a ship (at sea, not FTL)in a open world in some fashion? PC only and i've played the butt out of Sid Meiers: Pirates.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Me and a buddy are looking for a mellow, coop game. We're leaning towards an RTS and we've already played the Anno games, but those are definitely the kind of RTS games we like. It's more important that it's PC, coop via internet, and chill than be of any specific genre.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dongattack posted:

Is there a game out there that is all about managing a ship (at sea, not FTL)in a open world in some fashion? PC only and i've played the butt out of Sid Meiers: Pirates.

Might want to check out Sea Dogs or the old Pirates of the Caribbean game. Pirates in particular got a shitload of mods for it, and it doesn't have anything to do with the movie. The same company went on to make Age of Pirates 1 and 2, but I haven't played those at all.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
I'm currently at a loss as to what to play next. I've been playing Xcom Enemy Unknown and I love it. Trouble is once you get a handle on making all the countries happy (build loads of satelites) the game is just really easy. I love Xcom but the whole time I was playing it I was thinking 'this would be even better if it was in a fantasy setting' like tactics ogre or final fantasy tactics. Not sure if there are any good looking turn-based strategy games out there though.

Oh, on a side note have they made any kinda game similar to the old Ogre Battle games? I loved that series, I even bought an n64 just for Ogre Battle 64.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seemenaked posted:

I'm currently at a loss as to what to play next. I've been playing Xcom Enemy Unknown and I love it. Trouble is once you get a handle on making all the countries happy (build loads of satelites) the game is just really easy. I love Xcom but the whole time I was playing it I was thinking 'this would be even better if it was in a fantasy setting' like tactics ogre or final fantasy tactics. Not sure if there are any good looking turn-based strategy games out there though.

Oh, on a side note have they made any kinda game similar to the old Ogre Battle games? I loved that series, I even bought an n64 just for Ogre Battle 64.

If you have a PS3, hunt down a copy of Valkyria Chronicles (Or if you have a PSP, Valkyria Chronicles 2). It's a World War 2-esque setting with mild fantasy elements.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Dongattack posted:

There's an online version of Uncharted Waters now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_Waters_Online

I admit I know nothing about it but the SNES version was one of my absolute favourite games of that whole era, and offered a lot of variety for its time. You could be an explorer, cartographer, pirate, naval officer, merchant, or treasure hunter. Each one had its own story and played fairly differently with different ultimate goals.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Are any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! games for the DS or GBA any good? I have a hankering for a portable CCG game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Are any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! games for the DS or GBA any good? I have a hankering for a portable CCG game.

Just pick up the lastest one. They've more or less quit making the ones that don't use the OCG rules so you might as well pick up the one with the most and newest cards.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My roommate is looking for a real-time tactics recommendation. He really enjoyed the Eidos Commandos series back in the day, and is playing on a laptop so something more modern but not 3-D intensive would be perfect.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Looking for a game with a high emphasis on exploration and discovery (like Journey) and/or interesting open worlds with lots of easter eggs (like GTA4). Preferably newer games since I've already gone through a few older released ones, also preferably PC games, or PC ports.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pandaK posted:

Looking for a game with a high emphasis on exploration and discovery (like Journey) and/or interesting open worlds with lots of easter eggs (like GTA4). Preferably newer games since I've already gone through a few older released ones, also preferably PC games, or PC ports.

Try Saints Row 2 or 3, or even GTA San Andreas.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

pandaK posted:

The Elder Scrolls games are pretty hefty in this area if you haven't played them yet. I suggest Morrowind.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

terre packet posted:

My roommate is looking for a real-time tactics recommendation. He really enjoyed the Eidos Commandos series back in the day, and is playing on a laptop so something more modern but not 3-D intensive would be perfect.
Not completely new games but Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive and Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood are pretty good direct Commandos clones. What might interest you is that the second one will be a part of the incoming Groupees Bundle: http://groupees.com/bab4.

herr
Jan 19, 2009
I'm looking for a PC racing game to play, possibly more along the lines of a racing simulator, at least physics wise. I haven't played a whole lot of them in the past, except for the more arcadey racers. I played a little Forza here and there, but I'm not really into gear ratios and tweaking every single aspect of my car. That wouldn't be a deal breaker, though.

I also have TrackIR, so I'm looking for something that could utilize it, especially with sweet behind the wheel first-person views.

Lastly, I'd like for it to have some kind of active multiplayer component, and not be NASCAR or some form of equally repetitive racing.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a PC, Android, or iOS turned-based strategy/rpg with an easily accessible (and free) cheat system/console. I recently had a concussion and I need something to occupy the time when I'm not tired enough to sleep. Too engaging, and I start to get mentally exhausted. I've been playing King's Bounty with cheats on, and been the right mix.

I'm pretty much sick of it at this point, though, and I need some more variety. Are there any other recently released turn based strategy/rpgs with built-in cheats that I can play? I tried playing FFT, but managing jobs, skills, and spells became too complex after the first chapter.

Seemenaked posted:

Try King's Bounty. Not the same at all, but it scratches the same itch.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 12, 2012

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Internet Meme posted:

I'm looking for a PC, Android, or iOS turned-based strategy/rpg with an easily accessible (and free) cheat system/console. I recently had a concussion and I need something to occupy the time when I'm not tired enough to sleep. Too engaging, and I start to get mentally exhausted. I've been playing King's Bounty with cheats on, and been the right mix.

I'm pretty much sick of it at this point, though, and I need some more variety. Are there any other recently released turn based strategy/rpgs with built-in cheats that I can play? I tried playing FFT, but managing jobs, skills, and spells became too complex after the first chapter.

Try King's Bounty. Not the same at all, but it scratches the same itch.

Something has has scratched this itch for me is Defender Quest which is on steam at the moment. It's a hybrid tower defense and srpg. It's pretty breezy, but is involved enough to keep me interested. No cheat codes that I know of, but doesn't really need them. Also has a great sense of humor.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

herr posted:

I'm looking for a PC racing game to play, possibly more along the lines of a racing simulator, at least physics wise. I haven't played a whole lot of them in the past, except for the more arcadey racers. I played a little Forza here and there, but I'm not really into gear ratios and tweaking every single aspect of my car. That wouldn't be a deal breaker, though.

I also have TrackIR, so I'm looking for something that could utilize it, especially with sweet behind the wheel first-person views.

Lastly, I'd like for it to have some kind of active multiplayer component, and not be NASCAR or some form of equally repetitive racing.

Well there is the obvious answer: iRacing. I don't recommend it myself at all; I think it's horrible but a lot of people like it and it definitely has an active multiplayer community. It does however have very US-centric content, but luckily that doesn't mean just NASCAR in this case.

Other than that there's not much currently out. rFactor 2, Project CARS and Assetto Corsa are all coming out *soon* (so in the next year or 2) and all look very promising. You can still buy into the beta for rF2 (the CARS one just closed).

If you're okay with compromising in terms of simulation and okay with Codemasters, the latest F1 game (F1 2012) has received enough patches that it's pretty bug free and I think the online is still quite popular. It's also pretty.

If you're willing to compromise in terms of graphics, then grab Richard Burns Rally, Live For Speed or rFactor. All have very active niche communities around them, you'll have to look a little for people to play with but they will be there FOREVER.

You can also check out this thread for some more info. The thread is dead but I'm sure no one would care if you asked a question there :)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

pandaK posted:

The current gen Fallout games are pretty good about rewarding players for stepping off the beaten path. In the New Vegas thread people will occasionally pop in to say that they've spent hundreds of hours playing the game across multiple playthroughs, only to find a awesome spot tucked away. (There is a decent chance that Fallout: New Vegas will be around $10 during the Steam Christmas sale.)

Seemenaked posted:

You might want to check out the Disgaea series, since it is one of the go to series for tactical RPGs.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I am after a fairly basic Building/Business Simulation type game. I guess something kind of like Rollercoaster Tycoon or Sim City only a little more basic. What i really want is to be able to say start a business completely from scratch and watch as it builds up. Something perfect would be like the old Pizza Tycoon game which was awesome but i cant seem to get to run properly anymore.

While I am at it, whats a good turn based strategy game i can run in a window? Something that doesnt require my full attention, something like Heroes of Might and Magic or a single player Magic The Gathering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Camping.. Intense! posted:

I am after a fairly basic Building/Business Simulation type game. I guess something kind of like Rollercoaster Tycoon or Sim City only a little more basic. What i really want is to be able to say start a business completely from scratch and watch as it builds up. Something perfect would be like the old Pizza Tycoon game which was awesome but i cant seem to get to run properly anymore.

While I am at it, whats a good turn based strategy game i can run in a window? Something that doesnt require my full attention, something like Heroes of Might and Magic or a single player Magic The Gathering.

X-Com: UFO Defense (that's the original 90's game, not the new one) would probably suit you as a strategy game and I think it's on Steam. As to a management game, go get Theme Hospital off of GoG.com.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tropico 1, 3 or 4 might fit the bill?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Armageddon Empires maybe? Though it's got a bit of a learning curve.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

X-Com: UFO Defense (that's the original 90's game, not the new one) would probably suit you as a strategy game and I think it's on Steam. As to a management game, go get Theme Hospital off of GoG.com.

Yes, something like Theme Hospital is spot on, i do have it somewhere i think i will have to give it another crack i think just to scratch this itch. Is there anything more modern though?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Tropico 1, 3 or 4 might fit the bill?

I tried Tropico 3 recently but i didnt get far, i cant really remember why, i think it was because it wouldnt let me start from scratch, maybe i was playing the campaign or something? I think i will give Tropico 4 a go though, thanks!

Zoe posted:

Armageddon Empires maybe? Though it's got a bit of a learning curve.

Hmm i think i may have tried this before but i will give it another shot, thanks!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Are you aware of this? (MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 for Windows)

I have the version for Xbox (along with the 2009 and 2012 versions), it's great. And I often play it while watching TV.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

The King's Bounty series is pretty similar to HoMM. In fact, the original inspired HoMM. The difference is that the series is much more focused on RPG elements. Character building, a lengthy campaign and so on. They're also single player only. The newest King's Bounty game, Warriors of the North, was just recently released.

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
Are there any fantasy/medieval games where magic is actually a rare thing and trekking through dangerous expanses is actually dangerous and rewarding? I've been reading a lot of Conan the Barbarian, and I'm itching for some sword and sorcery leaning more heavily on the sword side.

What I really mean is why aren't there more games like Dark/Demons Souls?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

blowingupcasinos posted:

Are there any fantasy/medieval games where magic is actually a rare thing and trekking through dangerous expanses is actually dangerous and rewarding? I've been reading a lot of Conan the Barbarian, and I'm itching for some sword and sorcery leaning more heavily on the sword side.

The Souls games are the spiritual successors to the King's Field series (also by From Software).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Liberatore posted:

The King's Bounty series is pretty similar to HoMM. In fact, the original inspired HoMM. The difference is that the series is much more focused on RPG elements. Character building, a lengthy campaign and so on. They're also single player only. The newest King's Bounty game, Warriors of the North, was just recently released.

Sadly the new one does not actually have a windowed mode :v: (I don't know about the other two)

They'd be the perfect games for multitasking except you have to minimize to get to anything else. It even pauses your mana regen between battles while minimized, so no tabbing out and coming back replenished for the next fight :argh:

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Any of the old Sierra games, Zeus and Poseidon or Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I'm looking for some more games along the lines of Braid and Limbo. Basically fun, 2D puzzle/platform games. Bonus points for good art style. This can be on Steam or XBLA, preferably with xbox controller support if on Steam.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Electrical Fire posted:

I'm looking for some more games along the lines of Braid and Limbo. Basically fun, 2D puzzle/platform games. Bonus points for good art style. This can be on Steam or XBLA, preferably with xbox controller support if on Steam.
Buy Vessel. Works best with a gamepad.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I need quiet PC games. Things like Red Dead Redemption, Dark Souls, Dishonored, Fallout: New Vegas, The Void, stuff like that. Games that are subtle and a little bit depressing and make you want to constantly take in the world around you.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Heavy Lobster posted:

I need quiet PC games. Things like Red Dead Redemption, Dark Souls, Dishonored, Fallout: New Vegas, The Void, stuff like that. Games that are subtle and a little bit depressing and make you want to constantly take in the world around you.

You'd probably really like Day Z or The War Z.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Heavy Lobster posted:

I don't think it is possible to write a description of Dear Ester without using those exact phrases.

blowingupcasinos posted:

The first two Gothic games are similar to Demon Souls for PC. In the sense that they are like a hardcore version of Oblivion/Skyrim. You can run around basically anywhere and find yourself in a lovely situation with real mean dudes. Magic isn't really rare though.

If you are looking for something that really captures that sense of uh, 'magic' in magic, I would try out Darklands. This is a way old game that you will need dosbox or GOG, and the graphics are old school but not poo poo(unless you never played games from back in <2000). It takes place in medieval Germany and really captures the legends and poo poo of the time where stuff like witches, demons and dragons where something that no one expected to see, but at the same time didn't completely discount entirely. There is some magic, crazy pagan rituals, and seriously strange poo poo, but it is rare and most of the time you are worried about growing old, starving to death, or being beaten and robbed by knights on the road. If you can deal with old school titles it is incredible.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Yes, something like Theme Hospital is spot on, i do have it somewhere i think i will have to give it another crack i think just to scratch this itch. Is there anything more modern though?

Startopia is bit more modern and very similar, it's also on GoG now