Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I'll never pay for cosmetic DLC. I feel like if I'm paying for something I need something new to actually do.

Well new toys can be fun too. Saints Row the Third had some really pointless dressing up packs which were a total waste of money, but one of their earliest bits of DLC was a shark gun. As in, you shot someone with a gun and it summoned a shark which would burst out of the ground and eat them. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

In terms of price, amount of content, and fun, NiNP is pretty much a perfect DLC pack though. They could make another one of these every couple of months and I'd be incredibly happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

VGChartz is not a reputable source for sales figures unfortunately.

N-no... :negative:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm doing a mission with Old Salty Crab for the first time, he really does have the best loving lines in the game.

"You're pretty AND smart!"
"Huh?"
"Heh I said uh..you're pretty smart."
"Oh. Alright. You too Salty."
Better yet, remember that this is being said by Cheng Zhi of 24, Consul/Ambassador Han of Rush Hour/Rush Hour 3 and Big Smile Lee. (Nitpick: It's "talented", not "smart".)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Regarding the sales debate: Square-Enix's end-of-period results report states that 1.51 million copies of the game have been shipped, making it S-E's best-shipping game in the last six months. No word on how many have sold, or Steam sales stats, but the report seems a lot more positive about how the game's fared than the press release that kicked this off.

EDIT: Aha! S-E never stated that Sleeping Dogs had sold below expectations, just "a certain HD title" which many people just assumed. Turns out S-E's definition of "HD" is a little different from the internet's: the game in question was apparently Heroes of Ruin for the 3DS.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 6, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, Nightmare in North Point was brilliant. Haven't really got anything much to say that hasn't been said already, but I managed to send an ancient Chinese undead monstrosity back to hell by slapping it in the face with a fish.

Nice little adventure for the price, and not so long that it overstayed its welcome.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I just got this game this week and I'm really liking it so far, there's just one thing that's annoying me. How do you know when someone is going to counter your grapple? I'm finding myself avoiding grappling altogether in big fights because I can't risk getting countered and taking damage. I assumed it was when they're making a blocking stance but even when I try to grapple the ones that are in attack mode they can instantly counter. Then there are situations where I'm fighting 4 or more guys that are constantly blocking/countering and I just have to stand there waiting for somebody to lunge so I can counter them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There are basically three types of enemies, normal dudes, big dudes and "brawlers" who look like normal dudes but have some kind of icon or something next to them, it explains it in a tutorial. You pretty much can only grapple normal dudes whenever, the other guys you'll have to wait until they're stunned or when you burst into FACE TIME.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Fat looking dudes are going to gently caress your poo poo up if you try a normal grab on them. They can't block so just beat the poo poo out of them, and like the game says heavy attacks are good because they push them around and interfere with their ability to grab you. They will sometimes do different QTE grabs on you, each one of those always has the same counters so you can just memorize them and mash.

Anyone with a melee weapon also can't be normal grappled. You can attack them, but you should be extra focused on countering. Takedowns are a good way to get a bit of an opening in a fight with multiple armed enemies.

The guys who block you, just grab them and do some cool poo poo to them. Also I think the sweep still has its knockdown chance on guys who are blocking so that can be fun to try.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
normal, normal, heavy, FINISH HIM for the regular dudes
grab, normal, heavy, FINISH HIM for boxer dudes
and a whole bunch of punches and spinning kicks for fat dudes

You should unlock knee, follow-up, and leg-break so you can do the finishers. Feel free to also include any telephone booths and dumpsters in the mixup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought I'd be a smartass and try to enter a fight club with my sword. Haha, NOPE.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
From what I've seen knife wielding enemies are pretty much impossible to grapple, which is really annoying since those are the ones you want to take down first.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
They can be tackled, though, to at least neutralize 'em for a bit. And usually when I get into a gang of enemies with weapons, I try to get one of the weapons ASAP, throw it at an enemy, pick up the weapon he dropped, and repeat. Works pretty well as long as you manage range.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Kins posted:

Regarding the sales debate: Square-Enix's end-of-period results report states that 1.51 million copies of the game have been shipped, making it S-E's best-shipping game in the last six months. No word on how many have sold, or Steam sales stats, but the report seems a lot more positive about how the game's fared than the press release that kicked this off.

EDIT: Aha! S-E never stated that Sleeping Dogs had sold below expectations, just "a certain HD title" which many people just assumed. Turns out S-E's definition of "HD" is a little different from the internet's: the game in question was apparently Heroes of Ruin for the 3DS.

I'm really glad to hear this, because Sleeping Dogs was a really fun game and I want United Front to get not just kudos for it but the chance to make more games that are hopefully just as fun to play.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

The Kins posted:

800x240, the truest form of High Definition.

Happy to hear Sleepy Dogs is performing well, and that Square Enix didn't take a hit by rescuing it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there anything I can do to reduce texture pop-in? I'm on a 7950 and SSD, so I thought I wouldn't have a problem, so is it an ini tweak I'm missing?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Gamersgate are having a 50% off Sleeping Dogs special this weekend, which includes Nightmare in North Point, so it's just $2.50.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait, the SWAT pack adds more cop missions?

It makes a mention of new missions in the tab, and says so online, but doesn't really go into any detail about it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Rookersh posted:

Wait, the SWAT pack adds more cop missions?

It makes a mention of new missions in the tab, and says so online, but doesn't really go into any detail about it.

I think they're more like open world events (kind of like the cameras but obviously different) and I believe you need to be in the swat car to activate them or something. They're not more police story missions as far as I know.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I am now a whole man :smug:. Had a pork bun, it was pretty nice!

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Nightmare in North Point was great and worth the couple of £$ it'll cost you, if you enjoyed the game that is (if you didn't enjoy sleeping dogs what is wrong with you). I was laughing most of the way through, and while the fights got pretty repetitive it's not that long so it doesn't really matter. Also one of the reports says possessed civilians have no way to turn back, so they'll wander the streets forever unless someone kills them all, and I take that as a personal challenge.

Driving a sports car through a load of Jiang Shi then getting out and doorslamming the last one is a beautiful sight, too. It's just a shame you can't put them in your trunk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thievery posted:

It's just a shame you can't put them in your trunk.

Croccers posted:

gif's are fun to make. :3:

Wei Shen, Jiang Shi hunter :black101:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Oh my god my sports car was just too small. See you guys in 2013.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shanakin posted:

I think they're more like open world events (kind of like the cameras but obviously different) and I believe you need to be in the swat car to activate them or something. They're not more police story missions as far as I know.

That's exactly what it is. Cruise around in uniform in the SWAT van and random calls show up.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

That's exactly what it is. Cruise around in uniform in the SWAT van and random calls show up.

Does this not work once you've finished the main story? I don't see the SWAT van in my garage.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It's at the Northpoint Police station.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I've been messing around with Fraps because Sleeping Dogs is one of those games that something, no matter what, will happen and i'll find it hilarious as long as i'm just wandering the world picking fights and driving cars in a special wei. The only issue is, I only have the trial version which does 30 second recordings and half the time the coolest thing happens in the +30second mark, but I don't realise the recordings stopped...

Regardless, while doing it I found out about a new move i'd never done before. If you get Face, then tackle a guy you can keep smacking the punch button to repeatedly punch him in the face until he's dead. It's pretty fun to do in the middle of a fight club, especially the Aberdeen one since the last round has you up against like 20 guys - doing it on the very first one with his buddies just standing around is great.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Thievery posted:

Regardless, while doing it I found out about a new move i'd never done before. If you get Face, then tackle a guy you can keep smacking the punch button to repeatedly punch him in the face until he's dead. It's pretty fun to do in the middle of a fight club, especially the Aberdeen one since the last round has you up against like 20 guys - doing it on the very first one with his buddies just standing around is great.
This is only available once you reach Face Level 9 ("Unstoppable").

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Sorry I banged someone else after we went hacking that one time, but your number vanished from my contacts!

Kids who play this game and imagine this is what relationships are like are going to grow up weird.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thievery posted:

Oh my god my sports car was just too small. See you guys in 2013.

You can even grab the big demon guys if they're weakened enough. I've shoved one over a burning barrel and doorslammed his head in a car. Sadly he expireed before I managed to stuff a literal hell demon in my trunk and drive around with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chortles posted:

This is only available once you reach Face Level 9 ("Unstoppable").

It is really satisfying to tackle down one of those big fat dudes and just wail on him while his buddies cringe in horror in the background. Wei fights prison-rules - find the biggest dude you can and take him out first!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jerusalem posted:

It is really satisfying to tackle down one of those big fat dudes and just wail on him while his buddies cringe in horror in the background. Wei fights prison-rules - find the biggest dude you can and take him out first!

I make it a point to use the tackle-clobber on grapplers just as a satisfying 'gently caress you!' to their grapple immunity. Can't counter getting your face pounded into the pavement, can you?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
There's a Square Enix character pack DLC coming. Has three outfits in it:

Rico from Just Cause. Looks to be the same as the bonus for just having a JC2 save.

Agent 47. Comes with a silenced pistol, bald head, and stealth bonuses.

Adam Jensen. Comes with an assault rifle and takes 33% less damage from bullets. Nifty sunglasses too.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Parkingtigers posted:

Adam Jensen. Comes with an assault rifle and takes 33% less damage from bullets. Nifty sunglasses too.

I never asked for this.

Other people did though, and I'm very happy they were right. I think at this rate I'm gonna wait for the DLCs to finish up, then play through the main game again as Wei Shen, cosplay cop.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Parkingtigers posted:

Rico from Just Cause. Looks to be the same as the bonus for just having a JC2 save.

Nice. I may actually get this just for the Rico outfit since mine never unlocked, even when I uninstalled, reinstalled, started a new game, then switched profiles and started another game.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Nice! Two of my favorite games coming together. But, I never asked for this.

So confused... :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Upcoming DLC announced!

Dragon Master Pack: All five pre-order DLCs packed together.
Drunken Fist Pack: A special costume that enables a unique fighting style which lets you take a swig when your Face meter is full, entering the Drunken Stance and enabling powerful new moves and counters.
Square-Enix Character Pack: As mentioned above. Adds Rico if you don't have Just Cause 2 (AND WHY NOT?!?) as well as Agent 47 and Adam Jensen costumes.
Gangland Style Pack: Adds three "tattoo" costumes: Yakuza Style (50% slower heat rate), Russian Mob Style (+50% gun accuracy) and Mongrel Tribe Style (+40% melee damage)
Zodiac Tournament: The second mission pack! Travel to a secret island off the coast of Hong Kong to take on from across Asia in an exclusive tournament of fights to the death!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Bloodsport DLC?

Excellent.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I hope there's more to it than just a few standard arena fights as the ones in the main game were way too easy and not that interesting at all.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Bloodsport DLC?

Excellent.

Enter the Dragon DLC surely?

Whatever, buying the gently caress out of all of this. All of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
For just a sec I read "Gangland Style" as "Gangam Style" and now I'm disappointed.

• Locked thread