Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kashwashwa posted:

This is what I found in Istanbul... how is it even possible that all of the wild dogs are a million times better behaved than the majority of dogs in NA that have gone to 'obedience school'?

All over Europe I see this... people bring their dogs everywhere and they're always chill as heck.

However, not many people pick up their dogs' poo poo. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Neris posted:

I went to Berlin in April last year and didn't do any clubs and I had a find old time. Eat in Monsieur Vuongs

And for Taiwanese, especially dumplings, check out Lon-Men's Noodle House in Charlottenburg. I'm not even a dumpling enthusiast and I'm pretty sure I've had dreams of that place years later. And check out Nil in Kreuzberg or Friedrichshain for great takeaway Sudanese food. Also heard that Little Otik is pretty good, inventive New American cuisine, if you want something unexpected.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kashwashwa posted:

This is what I found in Istanbul... how is it even possible that all of the wild dogs are a million times better behaved than the majority of dogs in NA that have gone to 'obedience school'?

Natural selection, I guess. The ones that don't learn to wait at crosswalks get hit by cars and left at the side of the road. American dogs are pampered.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

transient posted:

The IAEA seems to disagree with you about the level of danger.

Oh. Go hog wild then.

speakerbeeker posted:

I'm traveling alone and am a female in my early 20's. I'm open to anything as long as it won't get me Taken.

You will be probably all right, just do all the normal safety precautions like: be aware of your surroundings, don't wear headphones, don't take strange rides, don't be drunk with people you don't know, don't drink offered opened drinks.

speakerbeeker
Apr 7, 2009

lil sartre posted:

I can only answer about the romanian part of your trip. Besides Brasov check out Sighisoara, which is still mostly a medieval german town while Brasov, besides the old part of the city, is full of more "modern" communist era apartment blocks and heavy industry.

Closer to Brasov there's Sinaia where you can visit the Peles castle, it doesn't look like much on the outside but inside it's one of the most luxurious and spectacular castles in the world. Also in that general area there's Bran castle, they call it "Dracula's castle" to lure dumb western tourists but it didn't have much to do with Vlad the Impaler; still worth visiting tho.
Also imho you should just travel around in transylvania through villages and stuff, that part of the country is breathtaking and one of the most beautiful places in europe; there's also the western carpathians area (Carpatii Apuseni), which is way less visited by tourists but still great.
If you can work it into your travel plans, more to the north there's the Maramures area and to the north east Bucovina and northern Moldavia, with their medieval painted churches that foreigners really like.
Another thing, instead of hostels or hotels you can try what we call eco-tourism (dunno if its called differently in english), where you stay in some villagers house, eat food from their farms, etc. In the part of Bucovina where I was born (in the northern carpathians towards the ukraine border) there are a shitload of foreigners who do that and come back every year, some french and italians even bought houses and retired there. You should book in advance for that tho.

As for safety issues:
- carpathian forests esp around Brasov are full of bears, they may look cute but there's people (including foreign tourists) who get maimed or killed by bears all the time; bears can even descend into Brasov or other cities and villages looking for food. So just don't go wandering through forests alone, you could also get lost
- avoid Bucharest like the plague, it's a shithole and the worst place in romania
- avoid stray dogs, again they may look cute but you never know when they'll suddenly attack and bite you, or worse; some years ago a japanese tourist was killed by a pack of stray dogs in broad daylight in the middle of bucharest.
- avoid dealing or accepting car rides from shady looking people; some will tell you to only be weary of gypsyes but you should practice some equal opportunity weariness imho. Romania isnt at all less safe than most of western europe, but you'll be a foreigner in an unfamiliar place and some people will try to take advantage of that.

With that said, I hope you have fun and enjoy your visit here.

Wow this is really helpful. I'm probably most interested in this area because I know the least about it, aside from Lonely Planet mentioning it's worth stopping at for the scenery.

I'm sure I can find good info on Krakow, Budapest, and Prague, but if anyone knows of anything good to do in Odessa let me know. I really just want to see the Black Sea and I think the history there is very interesting.

The eco tourism thing sounds really cool, I'll definitely look into that.

speakerbeeker
Apr 7, 2009
I also forgot to mention that I'm a vegetarian..just for health reason's, I have a bad allergic reaction when eating most meat. Seafood is generally ok though, don't ask me why :iiam:

How good is Eastern Europe when it comes to veggie options? Usually I'm ok when I learn what to say in the local language. Just let me know if I'll need to live off bread and water the majority of the time.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Is there any advice on staying in the Schengen zone for more than 90 days as a US citizen? I would like to stay in Italy for five months but from what I've read I'll have to go back to the US and find a consulate to apply for an extended stay (and they are very vague on the requirements), which seems really drat inconvenient. My wife is Italian but I can't get dual citizenship because I hold a security clearance.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you're married to an EU citizen it's pretty easy to get a residency/work permit. Good luck dealing with the Italians though (I say this with years of experience).

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

speakerbeeker posted:

How good is Eastern Europe when it comes to veggie options?

Not good, sorry. You might have better luck in the major cities: I've eaten Indian food in several Polish cities, and they always have vegetarian options, and I went to an actual vegetarian restaurant in Prague but it was pretty bad. Because most of those cities are landlocked, don't expect great seafood options either.

I bet Munich has plenty to offer though.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I'm going on a cruise through the Netherlands, Germany, France and Switzerland and was hoping you folks could answer a few of my questions.

1. I know we need to get some adapters to plug in our US electronics. We plan on bringing phones, tablets, cameras and an iPod. Would all these be fine with a 220V to 110V adapter, or do we need a converter as well?

2. We would like to get either some prepaid phones or SIM cards so our group can communicate as we split up during certain days. Any recommendation on what companies to use for those four countries and where would the best place be to buy them, the airport?

3. We're going to be in Switzerland for 3 days after the cruise and plan on spending one day in Basel, Luzern and Zurich traveling by train. Do we need to buy our train tickets in advance or do they come regularly that we can just show up and get a ticket for a departure 15-30 minutes ahead?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

ZeroAX posted:

1. I know we need to get some adapters to plug in our US electronics. We plan on bringing phones, tablets, cameras and an iPod. Would all these be fine with a 220V to 110V adapter, or do we need a converter as well?

The chargers for all of those consist mostly of the necessary converters, so the adapters should be enough.

ZeroAX posted:

2. We would like to get either some prepaid phones or SIM cards so our group can communicate as we split up during certain days. Any recommendation on what companies to use for those four countries and where would the best place be to buy them, the airport?

Buying them at the airport should work. Especially pre-paid SIMs are available at a lot of kiosks, and you can top up existing pre-paid cards/phones at many train stations and stores in addition to the places that sell them, but there's no reason not to get them as soon as you arrive, unless you're in a particular hurry to leave the airport. As for companies, I'd say get whatever gives you what you need cheapest, unless you're expecting to need to top up in a different country and don't want to just get a new SIM card.

ZeroAX posted:

3. We're going to be in Switzerland for 3 days after the cruise and plan on spending one day in Basel, Luzern and Zurich traveling by train. Do we need to buy our train tickets in advance or do they come regularly that we can just show up and get a ticket for a departure 15-30 minutes ahead?

Buying tickets for the next available train at the station should work fine, unless you're travelling at particularly odd times. You can buy tickets at the station just before, but if you're travelling particularly late or early or on weekends or public holidays, checking the times in advance could be a good idea.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ZeroAX posted:

I'm going on a cruise through the Netherlands, Germany, France and Switzerland and was hoping you folks could answer a few of my questions.

1. As said, mostly your chargers are 110-220, but make especially sure your camera battery charger is. Also for plug converter: Swiss/Italian plugs are very similar but slightly smaller than Dutch/German/French plugs (but the same voltage), so if you buy a "Schuko" plug adaptor it will not work in Switzerland. Swiss/Italian two-prong plugs work in all the other European countries, so it does work the other way around (they exist... in Switzerland at least; I have a stockpile).

2. Ask and make sure the SIMs you buy can be recharged online, not all of them allow this, and recharging by phone is a pain in the rear end, and some only allow recharging in special kiosks.

3. Switzerland doesn't sell train tickets to specific trains that are traveling only within Switzerland, so you can buy the tickets in advance but it's not really a 'reservation'. But, I've lived here 3 years and never heard of a inter-regional train selling out. In Switzerland you can get to the train 1 minute before departure and you're fine, and if you miss it there will be another one in ~30 minutes anyway, unless you're taking the last train of the day (~midnight, first one ~4:30am).

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Travelling by train in Swissyland can be expensive for tourists.
http://traintickets.myswitzerland.com/index.html
Have a look here and see if any of the deals can save you some money.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PlantHead posted:

Travelling by train in Swissyland can be expensive for tourists.
http://traintickets.myswitzerland.com/index.html
Have a look here and see if any of the deals can save you some money.

It sure can, and the fact they charge tourists double to take trains is almost comically offensive. And they wonder why the hotel industry in Switzerland is doing so badly.

(Basically every Swiss person owns a half-price card, which is ~$420 for 3 years. The minimum time limit you can purchase one for is 1 year, at $180, but honestly if you take more than 5 or 6 trains in Switzerland, the half-price card pays for itself even if you throw away 11 months of it.)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm potentially going to be coming in to a fair bit of money soon, and I'm thinking of spending it on a month/3 weeks/some time in Europe. I'm British, and have been to a few European cities but never really travelled. I'm 18, and I was going to go during/slightly before the summer. Now, my dream would be to fly in to a European city (the cheapest to get too) then have a flight home booked before I went, and in the intervening weeks just roam round via train, not planning too much at all, kind of like that book Bill Bryson did about travelling in Europe. It seems you can get a rail card from Interrail which gives you Europe-wide free rail travel for a period of time you pay for, so I suppose I'd use that.

My question is, is this feasible? I'm fine with travelling alone, but would I need to book youth hostels in advance etc.? Or is it mostly okay to turn up and rent a bed? How good is the rail card? Would I need to book tickets in advance on most trains or could I do it at the ticket office before I got on, or just on the train? In general, I mean. My ideal is to not really plan my route, just have a general idea and see where it takes me, but I don't know if I'm being too whimsical. Any advice would be appreciated, I hope I've been clear enough, I can ramble sometimes.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jakabite posted:

I'm potentially going to be coming in to a fair bit of money soon, and I'm thinking of spending it on a month/3 weeks/some time in Europe. I'm British, and have been to a few European cities but never really travelled. I'm 18, and I was going to go during/slightly before the summer. Now, my dream would be to fly in to a European city (the cheapest to get too) then have a flight home booked before I went, and in the intervening weeks just roam round via train, not planning too much at all, kind of like that book Bill Bryson did about travelling in Europe. It seems you can get a rail card from Interrail which gives you Europe-wide free rail travel for a period of time you pay for, so I suppose I'd use that.

My question is, is this feasible? I'm fine with travelling alone, but would I need to book youth hostels in advance etc.? Or is it mostly okay to turn up and rent a bed? How good is the rail card? Would I need to book tickets in advance on most trains or could I do it at the ticket office before I got on, or just on the train? In general, I mean. My ideal is to not really plan my route, just have a general idea and see where it takes me, but I don't know if I'm being too whimsical. Any advice would be appreciated, I hope I've been clear enough, I can ramble sometimes.

If you're traveling during tourist season, expect it to be difficult to find last-minute accommodations. Besides youth hostels, do not forget about couchsurfing.org and airbnb.com.

As for the trains and interrail ticket, that's a complicated matter on which I am unqualified to advise.

edit: PS -- Britain is in Europe. :)

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 10, 2012

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ahh yeah, thanks. I'm in my final year of sixth form, and if I can get away as soon as exams are over I'll hopefully miss the worst of the summer holiday rush. Thanks for the tip on the couch surfing, I'd totally forgotten about that really. As for the trains, from what I can tell on the website, if you get the 'Global Pass', that's free rail travel for the amount of days you pay. It says 'unlimited' rail travel anyway, which I assume can be taken to mean free. It almost seems too good to be true but it's perfect if not.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Saladman posted:

1. As said, mostly your chargers are 110-220, but make especially sure your camera battery charger is. Also for plug converter: Swiss/Italian plugs are very similar but slightly smaller than Dutch/German/French plugs (but the same voltage), so if you buy a "Schuko" plug adaptor it will not work in Switzerland. Swiss/Italian two-prong plugs work in all the other European countries, so it does work the other way around (they exist... in Switzerland at least; I have a stockpile).
I tried searching for swiss electrical adapter on Amazon and the second result was a Schuko. What should I look for to find a swiss one?

For the prepaid SIM cards are there any carriers that operate in Netherlands/France/Germany/Switzerland or will we need to get four different SIMs?

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 10, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ZeroAX posted:

I tried searching for swiss electrical adapter on Amazon and the second result was a Schuko. What should I look for to find a swiss one?

For the prepaid SIM cards are there any carriers that operate in Netherlands/France/Germany/Switzerland or will we need to get four different SIMs?

Apparently there's a plug type called the "Europlug" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug) which will work in both Schuko sockets and Swiss/Italian sockets. http://www.amazon.com/US-to-European-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0012S304W . I've actually seen these exact adaptors in my old flatmate's house. They won't fit 'snug' in Schuko sockets, so they're a nightmare if you actually move to France/Germany, but they're perfect for traveling because they work everywhere. (Schuko will absolutely not work in Switzerland, but it frequently does in Italy as many Italian hotels have 'multisockets' which accept either European or Italian plug types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VIMAR_universale.jpg. In 3 years in Switzerland, I've seen such a plug a single time, in a nice hotel in Lucern.)

Prepaid SIMs will all operate in all 4 countries, but they will also charge you roaming like crazy as soon as you leave the country you purchased it in. There are a few mediocre options that are multi-country. I always tout World SIM, but I've seen people suggest better ones which I've then forgotten about. If you're not going to be making a lot of phone calls / SMS then it doesn't matter much, but if you plan to split up all the time it might be useful.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Saladman posted:

Apparently there's a plug type called the "Europlug" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug) which will work in both Schuko sockets and Swiss/Italian sockets. http://www.amazon.com/US-to-European-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0012S304W . I've actually seen these exact adaptors in my old flatmate's house. They won't fit 'snug' in Schuko sockets, so they're a nightmare if you actually move to France/Germany, but they're perfect for traveling because they work everywhere. (Schuko will absolutely not work in Switzerland, but it frequently does in Italy as many Italian hotels have 'multisockets' which accept either European or Italian plug types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VIMAR_universale.jpg. In 3 years in Switzerland, I've seen such a plug a single time, in a nice hotel in Lucern.)

Prepaid SIMs will all operate in all 4 countries, but they will also charge you roaming like crazy as soon as you leave the country you purchased it in. There are a few mediocre options that are multi-country. I always tout World SIM, but I've seen people suggest better ones which I've then forgotten about. If you're not going to be making a lot of phone calls / SMS then it doesn't matter much, but if you plan to split up all the time it might be useful.

Awesome, thanks Saladman and Waci!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Jakabite posted:

My question is, is this feasible? I'm fine with travelling alone, but would I need to book youth hostels in advance etc.? Or is it mostly okay to turn up and rent a bed?
Usually, you can find somewhere to stay with little to no notice, but I would still recommend booking as much in advance as you can, even if it's just a day or two. Even booking some place to stay for the next night while on the train there is better than arriving in a new city with nowhere to go (especially if you resent the idea of sleeping in a park/beach, amusing as that option may be for a night or two with good weather). Note that if you happen to be somewhere while there's a major event going on, you may have serious trouble finding cheap accommodation, and that during the summer, there will be many other people doing exactly what you're doing.

Jakabite posted:

How good is the rail card? Would I need to book tickets in advance on most trains or could I do it at the ticket office before I got on, or just on the train?
It's good. Train travel (with the notable exception of some high-speed or night train, your usual country of residence (so the pass wont cover getting out of the UK, in your case) and some commuter trains) is free, and you get many other forms of transportation either for free or at a decent discount (ferries, buses et cetera).

In most cases, you can just get on the train and the pass will work as your ticket.
However, in some cases you'll have to reserve a seat (night trains, high-speed trains, and many international trains). This can be done at the ticket office or a self-service machine (and in some cases online), and can practically always be done at the ticket office before getting on. I would also recommend reserving a seat whenever you intend to stay on the train for more than a few hours or travel at a particularly busy time, since having a pass (or a normal ticket, for that matter) doesn't by itself guarantee you a seat. Note that reserving a seat can cost you money, meaning that though most train travel is free, you might have to pay (significantly less than the normal price, but not free) for high-speed or night trains or some border crossings. Note that night trains can be a decent way to cover both a journey you would need a seat reservation for anyway and one nights accommodation.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
France is a bit of a pain in the rear end if you're traveling by Interrail, there are quotas on high speed trains there and they're usually full at least a week ahead of time during tourist season. Definitely read up on those restrictions if you are planning to go there.

There are some additional costs in other countries too for the fancy high speed trains but they are quite tame outside of France.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks a lot both of you, that's cleared a lot of stuff up. I was planning on finding the cheapest flight to mainland Europe at the time I want to go, and the cheapest one back for when I come back, regardless (mostly) of where they're from, and book them both well in advance. That way I have a start point and end point, and this also covers the issue of train travel in the UK. As long as the start point and end point were places I'd want to spend a day or two in, that's fine by me.

Good tip on using night trains for somewhere to sleep as well. I'm not adverse to sleeping on a beach or in the park, I've done it a few times over here but I did always have a sleeping bag. I imagine without that and in bad weather it'd be a very unpleasant experience.

Thanks!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

If at any point you are on the TGV, upgrade to first class. It's like an extra £10 and has powerpoints, tables and huge seats.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
As an Italian I feel the need to underline the fact that our train tickets are dirt cheap compared to nearby countries, so using a Eurail in Italy is a big waste of money. Most oneway high-speed tickets are sold at prices between 9 and 20 euros each if booked in reasonable advance.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
I will be headed to Spain for about two weeks around Christmas and New Years, Dec. 19th to Jan. 5th specifically. We will be headed to Barcelona for 4 days and Madrid for 4 days or so. Thats about all that is set in stone so far, I was thinking of spending a few days somewhere sunny and somewhat warm, possibly Mallorca or Ibiza? I'm not sure if they'd be good winter destinations though. Mostly we are looking to escape the Bavarian weather while seeing historical sites as well as checking out the nightlife.

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

ZeroAX posted:

Awesome, thanks Saladman and Waci!

In addition you should just get yourself one of these.
http://www.skross.com/product/en/16/Earthed-3-pole/34/World-Adapter-Pro%2BUSB.html

I've had 3 of these for the last 4 years traveling globaling for about 2-300 days a year and have never had a problem. Great thing about it is there is a fuse inside so the adaptor will go before your electronic device does. They are a little pricey but imo they are worth the 40 dollars.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Styles posted:

In addition you should just get yourself one of these.
http://www.skross.com/product/en/16/Earthed-3-pole/34/World-Adapter-Pro%2BUSB.html

I've had 3 of these for the last 4 years traveling globaling for about 2-300 days a year and have never had a problem. Great thing about it is there is a fuse inside so the adaptor will go before your electronic device does. They are a little pricey but imo they are worth the 40 dollars.

I first saw the ad on the right and thought this is some monstrosity the size of a water heater and that you have to hold it above your head.

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008
Eurorail pass is great. I used one for Europe (30 day unlimited use) during the month of June and had no problem. The only thing to note is that some routes (certain countries) require booking in advance. You can literally do that day of, though.

I did the same kind of thing I think you're planning on doing, for longer. I had a rough idea of the countries/cities I wanted to visit, but had nothing set so I could wing it. Get back to the hostel at 2 or 3am and look at a map and decide where I wanted to go when I wake, book a hostel in that city and head there. It's a lot of fun, and if you just want to sight-see etc. 3-4 days per city is more than enough to get everything done.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah that sounds pretty much identical to what I'm planning really. Don't suppose you can remember which countries specifically you had to book? Just so I don't forget.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
My girlfriend has been studying at St. Andrew's in Scotland this semester, and I'm leaving in a week to spend two weeks with her traveling around the UK and Europe. The only part we're a little iffy on is getting from city to city. We're booking the rest of our transport today, but I wanted to run it by you all in case someone can recommend a cheaper/better method. Here's the plan so far.

- My flight out of the states lands me in Dublin, and then I take another plane to Amsterdam, where she's meeting me. We'll hang out for four or five days, and then take the Megabus to Paris (seven hours, but it's only about £10, and the trains looked expensive, unless there's something I missed).

- We have four days in Paris, and then we're heading to London. We were looking at taking Eurostar through the Chunnel ($65 USD), but EasyJet looks a little cheaper ($42 USD), and we're all for saving some money.

- After four or so days in London, we'll take EasyJet to Edinburgh, (or we could take a train straight to St. Andrew's, but it takes longer and is more expensive, and if it's not the "private cabin sleeper car" thing, I'd just as soon fly). Either way we'll stay at St. A's that night because she has an exam the next day. We then take a train back to Edinburgh and stay there for two nights before I fly back to Dublin, and then catch another flight back to the US. Whew!

For boarding, we're doing our whole trip with Airbnb because we've used it a few times here in the US and loved the experiences. That said, we're trying to do the "live like a local" thing. Walking around, meeting people, taking in sights, and taking it easy.

As far as recommendations for stuff to do, we both love to dance and have never been to a legit dance club (thanks for nothing, America!), and we're both big nerds about new/used vinyl records, food, coffee, beer breweries/spirit distilleries, etc. Of course there are museums and sites we'd love to see too, so feel free to throw those out there. I'd especially be interested in clubs where they play stuff like this and this, but we like electro-house Daft Punk-type stuff, too.

For Amsterdam, we'd love some weed cafe recommendations, as well as anything in the red light district a couple might enjoy like sex museums, etc. I really have no idea what all they have available over there (though we're not looking for anyone to gently caress us, thanks). Totally up for seeing some landscapes, but not sure if late November is the best time for that. Also, has anyone enjoyed the Anne Frank house (as much as one can enjoy something like that)?

In London we're making a pilgrimage to the house where exteriors for my favorite show ever were shot, so if there's anything around Tufnell Park that's fun to do, it would be great to add them to that bit of the trip. Romantic suggestions for all cities are much appreciated too!

I should stress that we don't have a ton of money to blow, so we're trying to keep costs for eating/board to a minimum, but still be able to splurge here and there since it's loving Europe/UK, and my first time outside the states and all.

Sorry for baby's first travel post being so long, and thanks in advance! :D

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DammitJanet posted:

- We have four days in Paris, and then we're heading to London. We were looking at taking Eurostar through the Chunnel ($65 USD), but EasyJet looks a little cheaper ($42 USD), and we're all for saving some money.
Take the train. It'll be much faster, more convenient, and I believe even if you're landing in Stanstead it'll still come out cheaper after you've bought your train tickets to get you to downtown London.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you have more time than money, take the bus.

But trust me, 3 years from now you are not going to be saying, "gently caress, I wish I had spent $500 less on my trip to Europe!"

Be responsible but not too responsible.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

HookShot posted:

Take the train. It'll be much faster, more convenient, and I believe even if you're landing in Stanstead it'll still come out cheaper after you've bought your train tickets to get you to downtown London.

Exactly. The cost of going to and from both airports will make it worth it. Plus there will be no extra charges for anything else with Eurostar. You're also allowed to take a lot more luggage and it's generally a lot more comfortable. Plus you know, you'll have been under the sea.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
Hi, DammitJanet. I live in the UK so I can give more specific information about that part.

Amsterdam-Paris

Trains do seem quite expensive for this route. If there are £10 megabus tickets this might be a good idea. However, look at where the bus leaves and arrives. Megabus leaves from Amsterdam here, and arrives into Paris here. The cost of getting to and from these coach stops may outweigh the price + convenience of the train. For an option in-between, you should try a Eurolines coach. These seem to be about €40. They leave Amsterdam here, and arrive in Paris here. Obviously the trains are centre-centre. I wouldn't rule out flights either if there's a cheap one. What is best for you may depend on where exactly you are staying.

Paris-London

Unless there's a particularly cheap flight Eurostar will probably actually end up cheaper as HookShot has already mentioned. For example, a single rail journey from Luton Airport (I think this is where EasyJet goes) to central London will cost £14.50 (including the bus transfer to get to the station). If you find a good deal with British Airways then you will arrive in Heathrow which is part of the tube network, so you could just get a £8.50 travelcard which includes any other travel you do in London (or take the Heathrow Connect if you want to get to central London in 30 mins rather than 60, travelcard isn't valid though). If you are really lucky you might get a cheap AirFrance flight into London City. This is right on the edge of central London so would be best overall I think... a quick look didn't see any cheap fares though. Would depend exactly where you stay.

In the end a Eurostar trip will probably be easier and cheaper and quicker. If you want the absolute cheapest though, look to coaches again. Unlike Amsterdam and Paris the coach will actually arrive in the very heart of London. Megabus and Eurolines both operate.

London-St. Andrews

Same thing with getting to/from airports. If you do fly in on Easyjet then you can make the £14.50 fare from earlier a £25 return to leave from Luton on the way up North. Edinburgh Airport does not have a rail link, the best bet would be the Jet 747 to Inverkeithing for a train to Leuchars. The bus will cost £4 in addition to the £11.50 fare if you buy a RailBus ticket. So really, unless a single train ticket from London to Leuchars is more than about £70 then going by plane isn't really much cheaper. I'm not sure which day exactly that you are going, but I think there are still quite a few Advance tickets left from London to Leuchars for under £70. Shortest time of travel is 5 1/2 hours by train. Flights would be 1 1/2 hours + an hour to get to an aiport + an hour checkin (at LEAST) + 30 min bus + 40 min train and you are rapidly approaching 5 hours anyway.

I think the sleeper is still possibly a viable option if you can get one of them berths for less than £70, gives you an entire extra day to spend. Though you may not get the best nights sleep on it (and you have to get off at 0547!)

This time I don't think coaches are ever competitive.

I might have more to say about specifics within London later but this post is long enough!

Edit: If you are 25 or under, and the total amount of rail travel you do in the UK exceeds £74, including travelcards, then it is worth your time buying a 16-25 railcard for £28 to get a 1/3 discount on all fares. Your girlfriend, being a full time student, can (and should) have one even if she is over 25 anyway.

nozz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 19, 2012

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

DammitJanet posted:

In London we're making a pilgrimage to the house where exteriors for my favorite show ever were shot, so if there's anything around Tufnell Park that's fun to do, it would be great to add them to that bit of the trip. Romantic suggestions for all cities are much appreciated too!

Don't bother at all with Tufnell park - go see the house, enjoy, then get on tube and be in central with in 20 minuts. I work and live near there and it's perfectly nice as a suburb of London but seriously holds very little in the way of attractions, unless you fancy a stroll on the Heath, which is rather romantic if you like walks in the park. Go up Parliament Hill and soak in the view!

For some nice dinner restaurant suggestions which are romantic, I suggest Bob Bob Ricard - it's my favourite restaurant in London. Otherwise there's plenty of nice food suggestions here (and I can wax on and on and on for ages about all the different types of restaurants there are here.)

Do you want club recommendations for London? I go clubbing pretty often so let me know what you're after!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gat posted:

Paris-London

Unless there's a particularly cheap flight Eurostar will probably actually end up cheaper as HookShot has already mentioned. For example, a single rail journey from Luton Airport (I think this is where EasyJet goes) to central London will cost £14.50 (including the bus transfer to get to the station). If you find a good deal with British Airways then you will arrive in Heathrow which is part of the tube network, so you could just get a £8.50 travelcard which includes any other travel you do in London (or take the Heathrow Connect if you want to get to central London in 30 mins rather than 60, travelcard isn't valid though). If you are really lucky you might get a cheap AirFrance flight into London City. This is right on the edge of central London so would be best overall I think... a quick look didn't see any cheap fares though. Would depend exactly where you stay.

In the end a Eurostar trip will probably be easier and cheaper and quicker. If you want the absolute cheapest though, look to coaches again. Unlike Amsterdam and Paris the coach will actually arrive in the very heart of London. Megabus and Eurolines both operate.
All of this, plus on the Paris side there's the Orlybus fare that you have to factor in (7 Euros plus the Zone 1 fare, unless you have a carte Navigo, which you won't if you're staying there for less than a week).

So yeah, take the Eurostar. Gare du Nord to Paddington or Waterloo (I can't remember where it ends up in London) is just going to be so much easier and better and cheaper in the end. Plus it's a cool thing that you'll be able to say you've done.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Great replies, everyone!

We've got most of our transport booked now and just about all of our board as well. Thanks so much for all the feedback.

We'd love all your suggestions for cafes, restaurants, shops, etc. We're both huge movie and music fans so if there are any places relevant to those we'd be up for that too.

And if anyone is up for a goon meet in Amsterdam, Paris, or London, just message me. :D

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Oh my god, I'm moving to Warsaw for a job and I don't know what the gently caress. The closest to foreign travel I've ever done is Toronto, and I'm *preeeety* sure that doesn't count.

I'm going to land in Poland and instantly be murdered by gangs, aren't I?

EDIT: I assume all cities are filled with violent tourist murdering gangs, it's nothing personal, Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any london goons around or anyone familiar with the city? I booked my flight this year to have a 12 hour lay over in london so I could go see the queen and all that. Ill be landing there at 630am so I have a nice full day to do whatever.

Any recommendations? I was planning on taking the train to picadilly circus and going from there but is there anything specific i should i look out for/do? I definitely want to visit a classy london pub but will i get harassed because im amerikkkan?