Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So I found a new liveblogger. He's a bit like ManvsHomestuck except less overtly angry and way more pretentious. He loving hates Dave for some reason and he's already complaining about too much time bullshit just from the the kid/troll chatlogs and the package delivery.

Back on this for a moment, been reading through it and I just got to the introduction of Vodka Mutini, and the guy instead coins the name "Molotov Cattail" for it.

I....I think I kind of like that name, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I like to think of the Beta kids' session as a tool-assisted speedrun.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

The Lord of Hats posted:

This update, more than any other, makes me wish that Sburb was a game I could actually play. Short of the whole Armageddon thing, I mean.

Well, the world's gonna end anyway. Sburb's as good a way to go as any.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

* Uses glitches
* Uses death to save time

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Well Manicured Man posted:

I didn't think Eridan assisted them that much.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Misspost, please disregard

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

How long did the beta kids' session last again? Wasn't it just a day or two or something?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
All too long, by Dave's reckoning, but yeah about a day or so.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Gabriel Pope posted:

* Uses glitches
* Uses death to save time
* Uses a game restart sequence

Also we can't forget the A2 session:
*Heavy luck manipulation

And Calliope/Caliborn's session:
*One player in a multiplayer game
*Single level (though I guess the Battlefield would also count as a level)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 12, 2012

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

How long did the beta kids' session last again? Wasn't it just a day or two or something?

I think it's like 30 hours or so, it's established that Dave's main time loop consisted of replaying the same 24-hour period prior to the Scratch and Dave got in some hours after John did.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You can basically break the sessions down like this:

Alpha Trolls - Casual players, didn't really focus on winning the game.
Beta Trolls - Hardcore gamers, ignored all the lore and quest-text and just killed everything.
Beta Kids - Speedrun, blitzed the whole loving thing and skipped straight to the end.
Alpha Kids - From the looks of it they're the first group to actually play it properly. They're just kind of hosed by the whole void session thing.

Can someone explain to me again why Dirk/Jake/Roxy/Jane are the "Alpha" kids? Alpha Trolls were pre-scratch, Beta Trolls were post. So why are the original four human kids the "Beta" kids when they were in the first instance of their universe, and the ones that caused the scratch?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So am i the only one kinda worried about Dirk. I mean, he's looking pretty drat gray this update. Either he's a robot now or he's dead or Hussie picked the wrong color. :ohdear:

Or Grimdark.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

IUG posted:

Can someone explain to me again why Dirk/Jake/Roxy/Jane are the "Alpha" kids? Alpha Trolls were pre-scratch, Beta Trolls were post. So why are the original four human kids the "Beta" kids when they were in the first instance of their universe, and the ones that caused the scratch?

The Alpha kids are playing the Sburb Alpha, and the Beta kids were playing the Beta.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Pretty sure the 'robot legs' are just his shoes going up to his knees, to give his pants that poofy, ninja look.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Comic posted:

Pretty sure the 'robot legs' are just his shoes going up to his knees, to give his pants that poofy, ninja look.

Look at his arms in that shot of him with Dirk. They're literally the same shade of gray as his sword, which is kinda ominous?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Technique posted:

Look at his arms in that shot of him with Dirk. They're literally the same shade of gray as his sword, which is kinda ominous?

I that's to make the white on his tattoo stand out more, while still messing around with a more limited palette, while also contrasting with Jake's white and the white of Dirk's hair.

I say this mostly because robots have been obviously such until now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kazy posted:

The Alpha kids are playing the Sburb Alpha, and the Beta kids were playing the Beta.
I think there was a brief period of time when the fandom referred to the trolls in terms of things like "Pre-Scratch Alpha Trolls". But this is something that was never stated in-comic. The only designations I think we've seen in-comic are A1/A2 and B1/B2. In this case however it's easy to think of Alpha/Beta for the kids by what version of the game they're playing as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Comic posted:

I that's to make the white on his tattoo stand out more, while still messing around with a more limited palette, while also contrasting with Jake's white and the white of Dirk's hair.

I say this mostly because robots have been obviously such until now.

It's not uncommon for Hussie to color kids' bodies various shades of gray for contrast. I suspect the sword thing is simply an art error.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Those shoes look similar to Sawtooth's as well.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
So is this update the first confirmed sighting of a denizen? I dunno if that was supposed to be a yaldabaoth statue but it looked like it was the real deal to me. It was all bright and glowy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Radio Paranoia posted:

I saw somebody on Tumblr make this observation:

:ohdear:

I kind of figured it was a samurai mask, like this:

Just because even besides the katanas and what not, Bro's been compared to samurai before in a way. Like check out this shot from WV: Ascend:

Looks a lot like traditional samurai armour, his shirt looks like the bulky shoulder pads, and his hat, hair and glasses combo look like the helmet with the fancy wingalings sticking out.

Maybe it's just me?

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I think there was a brief period of time when the fandom referred to the trolls in terms of things like "Pre-Scratch Alpha Trolls". But this is something that was never stated in-comic. The only designations I think we've seen in-comic are A1/A2 and B1/B2. In this case however it's easy to think of Alpha/Beta for the kids by what version of the game they're playing as well.

This isn't quite true - the "alpha" terminology came up twice in the hashtags in conversations from the first Meenah walkaround (once by Meenah in reference to her group of trolls, once by Rose in reference to the post-scratch kids). So it's at least somewhat canonical. I'm too lazy to grab screenshots, but here's the relevant lines from the XML data files:

05260/levels/openbound/secondRoomDialog.xml: @meenah_creepy:#alpha-troll-reunion-yo MEENAH: gotta get the gang back together

05260/levels/openbound/secondRoomDialog.xml: @rose_talk:#Alpha-players#Teen-guardians#Fun ROSE: We have to rendezvous with our rebooted "ancestors," as it were, and help them win their game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FrictionlessEmu posted:

This isn't quite true - the "alpha" terminology came up twice in the hashtags in conversations from the first Meenah walkaround (once by Meenah in reference to her group of trolls, once by Rose in reference to the post-scratch kids). So it's at least somewhat canonical. I'm too lazy to grab screenshots, but here's the relevant lines from the XML data files:

05260/levels/openbound/secondRoomDialog.xml: @meenah_creepy:#alpha-troll-reunion-yo MEENAH: gotta get the gang back together

05260/levels/openbound/secondRoomDialog.xml: @rose_talk:#Alpha-players#Teen-guardians#Fun ROSE: We have to rendezvous with our rebooted "ancestors," as it were, and help them win their game.

I think Jane/Jake/Roxy/Dirk's shirts on whatpumpkin are also referred to as the alpha kid's shirts, although that's not really 'in comic'.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Beta Kids/Trolls are the ones who were introduced first. Easiest way to think about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think Jake's tattoo is actually Ben Stiller as Sweet Bro? That was my first guess on seeing it anyway.

And it's cool/creepy as all gently caress how, since no prototyping was done AT ALL, the imps don't even have flesh :stare:

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Does the skipped time have anything to do with the pages Caliborn ripped out?
If nobody died in A6A4 and the high point in terms of romance was Jake getting a tattoo to match Dirk's, then of course Caliborn would skip that poo poo. Brilliant. :aaaaa:

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
The Alpha/Beta way of describing the two groups is just way too loving confusing. Not only are they not used consistently (trolls go Alpha --> Beta, humans go Beta --> Alpha) but the same terminology is already used to describe the main and doomed timelines. So "Alpha Karkat" could refer to the Karkat of the alpha timeline who's still alive, or Kankri's ancestor from before the scratch (AKA: the Alpha universe.) And that dead god-teir Karkat is a "Beta Karkat" because he's from a beta timeline, but Alpha timeline Karkat is also a Beta Karkat because his group of friends are known as the "Beta trolls."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

The Alpha/Beta way of describing the two groups is just way too loving confusing. Not only are they not used consistently (trolls go Alpha --> Beta, humans go Beta --> Alpha) but the same terminology is already used to describe the main and doomed timelines. So "Alpha Karkat" could refer to the Karkat of the alpha timeline who's still alive, or Kankri's ancestor from before the scratch (AKA: the Alpha universe.) And that dead god-teir Karkat is a "Beta Karkat" because he's from a beta timeline, but Alpha timeline Karkat is also a Beta Karkat because his group of friends are known as the "Beta trolls."

TT: I think the true purpose of this game is to see how many qualifiers we can get to precede the word "self" and still understand what we're talking about.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

The Alpha/Beta way of describing the two groups is just way too loving confusing.

alpha trolls involve ancestors, alpha kids involve guardians

as compared to the beta versions of trolls and kids

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

But at the same time, it's kind of the beauty of it. Calling the B2 kids Alpha also implies that they are the actual Alpha timeline. The Beta kids have to travel to them and everything in order to set things right.

But seriously I agree it's confusing as all hell and B1/B2 works out well.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That lildurandal guy who does all those theories that have been linked to recently gets kind of pissy when you call them the Alpha kids.

He says that they should be called the Nobles. Because noble gases?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Comic posted:

alpha trolls involve ancestors, alpha kids involve guardians

as compared to the beta versions of trolls and kids

Except the ancestor/guardian distinction is entirely relative since we still don't know which group of trolls were the original genetic forebears (and there's evidence to suggest it's Team Karkat).

At the start of Act 6, people started calling referring to Team Jane as the Alpha kids because of Sburb Alpha. Also, the Scratch could be interpreted as creating a new "super-alpha" timeline.

Once that term stuck, people started using it to apply to Team Aranea because they occupied the same thematic space of "characters introduced in Act 6 as alternate versions of existing characters". Plus it's intuitive in the sense that Alpha comes before Beta, even if that doesn't mesh with the comic's pre-existing logic.

Unfortunately, now that Hussie has solidified this naming convention in the comic, fixing it is as unlikely as getting the US to uniformly adopt the metric system.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nephthys posted:

That lildurandal guy who does all those theories that have been linked to recently gets kind of pissy when you call them the Alpha kids.

He says that they should be called the Nobles. Because noble gases?
That and because the narrative calls them that in Jane's walkabout. Their role is to pave the way for gods.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I like "Nobles" but "dancestors" for the prescratch trolls is just dumb sounding

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I like nobles simply because "Jake English and the Noble Gasses" sounds like a rockabilly band or something.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

You can basically break the sessions down like this:

Alpha Trolls - Casual players, didn't really focus on winning the game.

I'm still not certain if this was the case, or if they were actually doing well and Damara had to keep going back and sabotaging things to keep them on the alpha timeline (the one where they fail, scratch, and create the universe they're created in)

We're told she did a lot of hopping around time screwing things up, and the other A1 trolls think it's just because she's crazy, but it seems suspiciously like the opposite of Aradia's role in her session to me!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Gizmotinker posted:

Hmm, two men wielding a katana and dual pistols wearing masks.

Did I miss it or did no one bring it up?

Loadsa grist!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So they've all made new stuff, they've been there a while, but looking at their planets it looks like none of them have been building up. I guess they don't need to, but somehow it still strikes me as off.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Rooreelooo posted:

So is this update the first confirmed sighting of a denizen? I dunno if that was supposed to be a yaldabaoth statue but it looked like it was the real deal to me. It was all bright and glowy.

As far as I know, yep!

Also, I wonder what Sawtooth and Squarewave are up to, seeing as they brought 2 houses, one filled with dead bodies, into Skaia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SpruceZeus posted:

I like "Nobles" but "dancestors" for the prescratch trolls is just dumb sounding

It's only dumb sounding until the alpha trolls have a dance-off :colbert: