Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

The Goog posted:

He has a .512 OPS (.232 OBP, .280 SLG). That's so bad that I don't know how to properly explain to you how bad it is, because I can't think of anyone who was that bad.

The Phillies got you covered. 356 PAs over the past two years. :gonk: :bunt:

gently caress, I forgot about the Gehrig injury. A-Gon to 1B, and swap Red Ruffing and Lefty Gomez.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Lofton's not doing so hot. Old DiMaggio plays center. If he still can't get on base, how'd my young Brian Giles be in center? Speaking of, Albert Belle still sucks, so put Giles back in left. Rest Rod Carew with Baerga.

I'm all about the Coburn plan, obviously. Should I submit a roster, or is it too far away?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Somehow, my team wins games. I don't know but I'm just gonna go with it.

First off, a new bid on Derek Jeter: Mike Donlin, Enos Slaughter and a ratings challenge.

Second, call up Mike Donlin, send down Chief Wilson

Third, new lineups:
VSR
RF Evans
SS Wagner
LF Musial
DH Rice
1B Yastrzemski
3B Bell
CF Lynn
2B Hemus
C Fisk

VSL
RF Evans
1B Yastrzemski
LF Musial
DH Rice
C Fisk
3B Bell
2B Schoendienst
SS Hemus
CF Lynn

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

The Goog posted:

He has a .512 OPS (.232 OBP, .280 SLG). That's so bad that I don't know how to properly explain to you how bad it is, because I can't think of anyone who was that bad.
:(

A Joe Exchange; Gordon in for Morgan. Really, Joe Morgan? Tired now, when it most matters? Also Posey back in because he's still my best option.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

I'm all about the Coburn plan, obviously. Should I submit a roster, or is it too far away?

Just wait, at the very least, I'm still waiting to see exactly where the vacancy for them will be, if you catch my drift.

Smasher League Week 24 Results

The South Bolton Eazy W's and the first (and last as it will turn out) champions of the Skyhawks Memorial Divison!

The Ryleh Cultists are champions of the Norris-Smythe Division!

The Finger Lakes Phoenixes are champions of the Mark Bellhorn Division!

Chicago Bobbleheads
Jason Schmidt (SP) (No pain, no gain) - 9 days

Cologne Emperors
Hanley Ramirez (SS) (Pre-Gauntlet Vacation) - 8 days

Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Mark Bellhorn (ST.) (His work here is done) - Out for Season

Rated R Superstars
Jesse Orosco (RP) (Stuff!) - Out for Season

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

The Goog posted:

Oh. Huh. I guess I'll replace him with Jugo Villaroel, then.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 24: Mortality

Games of the Week

Don Slaught posted:

I don't know how much time I have left. I don't know how much time any of us has left.

It was rainy in San Francisco. It's always rainy this time of year. They say that it's the ocean air or something. I'm a detective, not a damned weatherman. They say it's the ocean air, and I believe them.

The sun was already setting when I made my way to Kincaid's, the worst scum hole in town. I needed information, and this was the place to get it. The bartender gave me my usual, a double scotch on the rocks. I needed it to take the edge off. The season was starting to get to me. Still, I had questions that needed to be answered.

I saw the guy who could get me those answers enter the bar and take a booth near the corner, his back to the wall, so no one could sneak up on him. Good ol' Eternal Steve, predictable as ever.

I moseyed over there, and Steve's eyes narrowed. He knew what I wanted to know. I sat down at the booth and ordered another double scotch. I asked what he knew about the Unspecifieds. And he told me quite the story.

See, a long time ago, the Unspecifieds used to be located in California, down south, near the Mojave Desert. They hadn't lasted long there, with their dome getting blown to pieces at the end of Super-League I, but the ruins were still there. Steve told me about how they found a lot of bodies there in the aftermath, after all, the dome had self-destructed after a game, that last one of the season, in fact.

I ordered another double scotch.

Steve explained that, going through the wreckage, they had found the charred remains of a body that the police were almost positive had belonged to blackmongoose. Now my interested was piqued. I ordered another double scotch and asked the most important question.

"If blackmongoose died in Super-League I, then who's running the team now?"

Steve just shook his head. "That's the question. No one's quite sure. But, whoever this guy is, he's good, way better than his predecessors. The first two Unspecifieds teams were sideshows, relegated easily in their first seasons. But these guys? They're threatening the Finger-Bangers, they're going to kill the Unicorns, they're really something else. You'd best be careful, Don, that they don't turn their attention towards the Gumshoes." My throat almost choked at that, and I ordered a double scotch to soothe it.

"Listen, Don..." Steve continued, "You've got to give up this case before something terrible happens to you. After all, the Gumshoes already beat the Unspecs 1-0 tonight, isn't that enough for you?" My mind reeled, I knew there had been something I had forgotten to do. The game! I ordered a double scotch to help me forget...and it did.

I can't remember what happened next, but I know this: I had a hell of a hangover the next day.

Box Score

Don May posted:

BANGERS HAMMER UNICORNS 14-2, MARAUDER DISCOVERS, FORGETS CONCEPT OF REMORSE

Fukuoka- You don't know what you've got until its gone.

The Bangers have consistently played the roadrunner to the Unicorns' Wile E. Coyote, but whereas the Coyote could always get back up no matter the abuse heaped upon him, and the Unicorns are decidedly more mortal.

Marauder, realizing that his latest 14-2 thrashing had likely condemned the Unicorns to relegation, seemed deeply uncomfortable with what he had just done, "When I mock buried the Unicorns just a few weeks ago, I assumed they would just dust themselves off and continue to torment me for years to come. But I've gone too far, haven't I? My onslaught was too fierce, and now there are too shot through to continue on. I didn't need to batter them so, I could have let them live, I could have saved them, if only I had not been so cruel. And now, that piece of Super-League history that they represented, the last surviving representative of the Second Expansion Class, will be gone forever. Just another victim that I leave in my wake." Marauder now seemed on the verge of tears. "What kind of monster am I?"

Marauder then suddenly straightened up, wiped off his tears and adopted his trademark smirk, "Wouldn't it be something if I became that man? Who would weep openly at the death of his rival? But I'm not. Frankly, my only regret in my murder of the Unicorns is that it took me this long to do it. Like the rest of their misbegotten expansion class, their proper place is in the obituaries section. I do appreciate that they continued to underachieve until the end, though, since I had been looking to put some distance between myself and the Unspecifieds. Farewell, little Unicorns, you showed us all that determination and spirit are nothing in the face of my overwhelming brilliance, and that is a lesson that many other owners could stand to remember."

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS DEFEAT SAINTS 3-2 IN SPECIAL "IRON MAN" GAME

Rockford- There could have be only one.

Lord Mayor Humungus, in recognition of this game, the final one between the I-90 rivals, be played under special rules. He urged Senerio, the owner of the Saints to, "Make this day the glorious and final battle it deserves to be. Let us cast aside our bullpens and see which of our starters has the heart of iron that a true warrior possesses?" Senerio agreed, and so this game was played under the stipulation that no relieving pitchers would be allowed.

And so, as the Saints took a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, there was some concern on their part that this stipulation might doom them, as Red Faber is not an elite pitcher in the Super-League, and asking him to continue into a ninth inning was possibly more than he could handle. Still, Senerio stayed true to the spirit of the rule, and kept Faber in.

That proved costly, as the Losers got four singles and a walk in the inning to walk off with a 3-2 win, giving the Losers yet another win, and leaving the Saints even farther in the hole, and seemingly fated to a late-round entrance into the Gauntlet.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

You probably aren't going to overtake the Finger-Bangers this year, but you will almost certainly get a chance to try again next season.

Analysis

I actually do think you would have done better if not for the injuries, but you still would have ended up in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

With any luck, you should clinch within the next week, which will give you a bit of time to set your rotation and prepare for the Losers.

Analysis

What the gently caress happened?

Analysis

A fundamentally sound team, you should also be able to clinch in the next week.

Analysis

Joba should not be part of your Gauntlet rotation.

Analysis

Got a bit of separation from the Unspecifieds, and that's probably all you need.

Analysis

You'll have Henderson back in the Gauntlet at least.

Analysis

No.

Analysis

A pitching-and-defense teams needs better pitching than what you're throwing out there.

Analysis

If Pete Alexander can get you one win, that might be all you need.

Analysis

Catfish Hunter has kicked some rear end for your team, but he's just one man.

Analysis

The luckiest team that ever was.

Analysis

Drysdale has 22 wins and counting.

Analysis

Neglect has ravaged your team. Ravaged, I say!

Analysis

Having a bit of a run, but the fact that Al Simmons has spent weeks on your bench backing up Phil Cavarretta does speak to a certain level of managerial dysfunction.

Standings and Leaders

Playoffs/Gauntlet Picture

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Were I luckier, I'd not be staring at my roster trying to figure out how to rest Garciaparra while avoiding a week of starts by Tim "The No-Tools Man" Teufel. I'd also NOT have dropped two games against the Superbas in the same week I'd have taken three from the Finger Bangers.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Nice to see the team finally realise "hey, we somehow had the best record in Expansion Cup history, we shouldn't be sucking quite this much" and start winning a few games. A few months too late, yes, but it's nice to see something was there.

Shawkey's almost back I see. He'd be replacing Matlack or Glavine, but Jon reprieved himself by throwing a no-hitter last time out, and I'm really recalcitrant to change something that's currently working okay. I guess just put Shawkey as set-up man upon his return, bumping the rest of the bullpen down a slot. Kern goes into the ether to compensate.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

It'd be excellent to be the first team to have consecutive 100 win seasons, but injuries are a more pressing issue. New lineups.

vs RHP
1B Rose
LF Speaker
C Torre/Martinez
CF Charleston
RF Oliva
SS Tejada
3B Ventura
2B Frisch
P Pitcher

vs LHP
2B Frisch
LF Speaker
C Torre/Martinez
RF Robinson
CF Charleston
SS Tejada
1B Rose
3B Ventura
P Pitcher

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

It's good to see that rest has done my players well, even if we did drop two to the Superbas. With the final weeks of the season looming, I think it's time to try a slightly different lineup with my primary players.

pre:
1. LF Joe Jackson
2. RF Stan Musial
3. 2B Joe Morgan
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. C Johnny Bench
6. CF Earl Averill
7. 3B Tony Perez
8. SS Ozzie Smith

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Neglect? Neglect you say?

Let's fix this.
Beltran to the outfield. Don't care where.
Piazza to Catcher slot.
Vidro to SS.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Time for some experimenting, since everything's gone to poo poo.

I'm not sure why this keeps getting missed, but recall Max Flack, send down Todd Hazelwood. If possible, literally shoot Saltalamacchia.

Put Berkman on the DL; call up Lester and have him work Long Relief. When he's healthy, take him off the DL and send down Beckett instead.

New lineup:

1. 2B - Dustin Pedroia
2. CF - Jacoby Ellsbury
3. DH - David Ortiz
4. 1B - Adrian Gonzalez
5. LF - Bernard Gilkey
6. C - Craig Biggio
7. RF - Max Flack
8. SS - Ozzie Smith
9. 3B - Morgan Ensberg

Also, make Bob O'Farrell Pete Alexander's personal catcher.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
The Great Googly-Mooglies issue the following bids in the Superstars auction:

- 1985 Joe Carter for 2009 Travis Hafner

- 1939 Ted Williams for 2003 Vladimir Guerrero

- 1966 Brooks Robinson for 1998 David Cone

- 1978 Bill Lee for 2006 BJ Ryan

- 1911 Chief Bender for 1978 Tug McGraw

- 1998 Bernie Williams for 1990 Dan Plesac

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction!

It is time to liquidate the Superstars. As a result, I am putting their remaining assets up for auction. Here's how the bidding will work:

-Any owner with a team, Expansion or Super-League, can bid, and can bid as many times as they like.

-Owners can bid anything they want, players, draft picks, whatever. But, they can't include the same players/draft picks in multiple bids at the same time.

-I will decide how much a bid is worth, and whether it is more than the current bid for a player.

-The Super-Auction will run for a few days, probably until the end of the week.

-Enjoy.

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '93 Juan Gonzalez, '48 Bob Elliot, '06 Scott Downs, '48 Tommy Holmes (TED)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid: '85 Joe Carter (GOG)

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: '68 Jim Rooker, '04 Freddie Sanchez (WEB)
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid: '32 Estel Crabtree (WEB)
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid: '90 Gary Gaetti (WEB)
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid: '68 Dick McAuliffe (WEB)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '00 Barry Zito and 1 Ratings Challenge (CHO)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid: '05 Dan Wheeler (PHF)

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid: '84 LaMarr Hoyt (BUR)

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '64 Jackie Brandt, '68 Jim Northup (WEB)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid: 2 Ratings Challenges (PHF)
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid: '32 Andy High (WEB)
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
Current Bid: '39 Ted Williams (GOG)
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: '84 Joe Carter, '77 Andre Thornton (SJE)

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '55 Eddie Yost and 1 Ratings Challenge (DUB)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '64 Jim Bouton, '57 Frank Sullivan, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: '68 Les Cain, '04 Ryan Vogelsong (WEB)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '66 Brooks Robinson (GOG)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '04 Russ Ortiz

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '89 Jeff Montgomery (RYL)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: '04 Salomon Torres, '04 Oliver Perez (WEB)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '78 Bill Lee (GOG)
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '11 Chief Bender (GOG)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
Current Bid: '98 Bernie Williams (GOG)
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid: '32 Ownie Carroll (WEB)

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 11, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Week 25 Injury Report

Burma wins the Memento Mori Division.

Dubai wins the Dies Irae Division.

Florida Oranges
Barry Bonds (OF) (Alas, Poor Oranges) - Out for Season

Old Hoss Radbourns
Jeff Montgomery (RP) (Nope!) - Out for Season

Polyarny Postmodernists
Fernando Valenzuela (RP) (The crowds don't want Valenzuela, they want Denny Rainwater, and they want him now!) - Out for Season

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

More bids:

2005 Dan Wheeler for 2009 Troy Glaus

2 Ratings Challenges for 2006 Vernon Wells

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Goog posted:

The Great Googly-Mooglies issue the following bids in the Superstars auction:

- 1985 Joe Carter for 2009 Travis Hafner

- 1939 Ted Williams for 2003 Vladimir Guerrero

- 1966 Brooks Robinson for 1998 David Cone

- 1978 Bill Lee for 2006 BJ Ryan

- 1911 Chief Bender for 1978 Tug McGraw

- 1998 Bernie Williams for 1990 Dan Plesac

Wait, can I buy some of this stuff of you? Especially Ted Williams? My RF platoon is just as productive..

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 24: Brain Hurt

Let's Learn About the Contenders!

Don May posted:

BETTER KNOW A CONTENDER: South Bolton Eazy W's

Owner: ForeverBWFC
Home Grounds: Memorial Coliseum

Team History

The W's began their life as the South L.A. Eazy W's, owned by Dusseldorf. After a disappointing first season in Super-League I, they Eazy W's began a streak of three straight Norris-Smythe championships. Along the way, Dusseldorf realized how lame the Super-League was, and quit, being replaced by ForeverBWFC who, as an Englishman, has only a vestigial sense of what is lame. Unfortunately for the W's, BWFC did not actually know much about baseball, leading him to make several dozen bad trades over the next two seasons, dropping his team into the Gauntlet in both Super-League V and VI. But, as BWFC was smart enough to hang onto Babe Ruth, his team escaped relegation both seasons.

Last season, he finally achieved his ambition of assembling the legacy, a group of players who appeared prominently in the last LP thread of Baseball Mogul. None of the players were much good, but combined, they somehow managed to left the W's back into the playoffs, in a turn of events that is explicable mainly by the fact that the rest of the W's division isn't very good at all.

The W's will play either the Luna Landers or the Chicago Bobbleheads in the first round of the Smasher League playoffs.

Position-by-Position Breakdown

Catcher
'82 Ted Simmons

Simmons is old, and not much on defense at this point in his career, with only a 37% CS rate this season. That's not why he's in the lineup, of course, as his bat is his best attribute as a player. While his hitting numbers don't look great this year (.303 OBP, only 10 HRs), they are adequate for a Super-League catcher. Still, there is no getting around the fact that this a weak point for the team.

First Baseman
'99 John Olerud

Olerud is having a suspiciously good season that is at least partially fueled by the fact that he's a left handed hitter in a park that greatly favors lefties. Still, the man has .382 OBP and 41 doubles, and it's hard to be too down on that.

Second Baseman
'86 Lou Whitaker

Whitaker has 25 home runs from the middle infield. He's also playing elite defense and drawing walks. You might make the argument that Whitaker has been the best all-around player in the Super-League this season and not get laughed out of the thread. Either way, Whitaker's great season has done a lot to put the W's in the playoffs.

Third Baseman
'04 Scott Rolen

Rolen is having almost as good a season as Whitaker. It's true that Rolen's offensive numbers aren't as good, but a decent amount of that is because Memorial Coliseum is nicer to left-handed hitters than right-handers. Rolen is also elite defensively, and, collectively, the W's have the best infield defense in the league by a fair margin.

Shortstop
'09 Asdrubal Cabrera

Sometimes I think that BWFC is secretly a genius, and then he comes into the thread and says something like "I have to go and get drunk for a while, so ignore any trades I post for the next 12 hours". Anyway, Cabrera is a great defensive shortstop, at least according to Mogul, and that means that all of the extreme groundball pitchers the W's use are just that more effective. It's accidentally brilliant on BWFC's part.

Left Fielder
'29 Al Simmons

A good player whose numbers have been held down by a bunch of nagging injuries this season as well the fact that he's a right-hander in Memorial Season. Still, he's been more than solid in left field.

Center Fielder
'61 Duke Snider

The Silver Fox was getting on in years by '61, but he could still hit home runs and draw walks. His contact numbers are down (only a .240 BA), and he probably isn't well-suited to batting leadoff, but those are relatively minor quibbles.

Right Fielder
'26 Babe Ruth

He's not much of a fielder, but he's Babe Ruth. He hits home runs better than anybody, and draws a million walks. He is the only reason the W's have lasted this long in the Super-League, because when you've got Babe Ruth on your team, you can make a ton of mistakes before it catches up to you.

Designated Hitter
'85 Lloyd Moseby

This should be Ed Delahanty, but he's out for the season with injury, so BWFC is using Armitage's favorite player instead. Here are couple of truths about Moseby:

1. His numbers are inflated because he's a left-hander in Memorial Stadium
2. He really should be starting in right field with Ruth at DH

That said, BWFC doesn't have many better options for this slot. It might make sense to try HoJo as a platoon partner against lefties, but the returns would likely be marginal, and as Johnson is currently the only batter on the bench who can hit lefties, it might make sense to keep him there as a pinch-hitter.

SP1
'93 Jack McDowell

His numbers don't look great until you realize that he's been stuck in right-hander hell all season long, and he doesn't have the deadball groundball glitch to keep his mistakes in the park. When you remember that, you realize that McDowell has actually had a pretty drat good season, even if he doesn't stack up favorably with the aces of other teams.

SP2
'61 Sandy Koufax

Why are power lefties so disappointing in the Super-League? Actually, I did some thinking about it, and my conclusion is that, as a pitching family, most of them give up too many walks for a league which is packed with guys who have elite patience.

Still, you can survive a season like this from Koufax, especially since, as bad as he was, he was still roughly a league average pitcher and he'll probably be better next year. Plus, in a short series against a team with a left-handed batters, Koufax is great guy to have around.

SP3
'02 Cy Young

On most teams, Young's inability to strike anyone out puts to much pressure on the team's defense, and things fall apart shortly thereafter. The W's, however, have an outstanding infield defense which means that all of those groundballs Young induces turn into harmless groundouts. It's a beautiful symbiosis, really, even if I still think the Gehrig for Young trade from last season was unwise.

SP4
'12 Jeff Tesreau

Just another deadball pitcher that happens to be chained to an infield defense that makes him seem better than he is.

Bench
'93 Darren Daulton
'03 Mark Grace
'80 Jose Cruz
'03 Mark Bellhorn
'85 Howard Johnson

Daulton is the backup catcher and starts when Young pitches. He is decent gloveman who can, theoretically at least, draw a bunch of walks and hit for mid-range power. Grace is too old to do much more than pinch-hit. Cruz is the only outfielder on the bench, and probably ought to be used a defensive replacement. Mark Bellhorn is the saint of the Super-League, and the only competent backup infielder on the roster, even if the W's don't really need a defensive replacement for any of their starters. Howard Johnson is the only bench bat that can really be trusted to hit left-handed pitching, even if he can't field any position.

Bullpen
CL '90 Rob Dibble
SU '97 Robb Nen
SR '88 Dave Smith
SR '01 Kazuhiro Sasaki
MR '?? Eri Yoshida
LR '51 Vic Raschi

A mixed bag to be sure. Dibble and Nen form a great top end of the bullpen with tremendous power, but neither is exactly a two-inning closer, meaning that more work trickles down to the rest of the bullpen, and that's where the problems start. Dave Smith doesn't have a ton of meltdowns over the season, but a right-hander that can't strike anyone out and pitches in Memorial Coliseum might be a ticking time bomb. Sasaki has been wild this year. Yoshida is a joke that went too far, and while I appreciate that BWFC is going to keep her on his roster for the playoffs, that's probably not the wisest move he's ever made. Raschi will only pitch in games where the outcome isn't in doubt.

Clinching Game

Don May posted:

BETTER KNOW A CONTENDER: Ryleh Cultists

Owner: CthulhuDreams
Home Grounds: Sunken Ry'leh

Team History

CthulhuDreams, claiming to be from the far-off, and likely mythical, Australia, has come into the Super-League to prove that our existing stereotypes of Australians as fun-loving, hot-tempered, Vegemite-eating lunatics were completely unfair. And he proved his point by assembling his team through the use of spreadsheets and numbers, with not a single thought towards the aesthetics or anything else other than cold, hard numbers. He also ate a surprisingly small amount of Vegemite while making the team. Now they want a championship.

The Ryleh Cultists will play the Finger Lakes Phoenixes in the first round of the Smasher League Playoffs.

Catcher
'30 Gabby Hartnett/'01 Ivan Rodriguez

Hartnett has been good in limited action, but I-Rod has been the sort of player that I-Rod always has been, good contact skills, no patience and mid-range power. It's just that, unlike the real I-Rod, you don't have him in a hitter's park.

First Baseman
'09 Albert Pujols

Pujols isn't having a great year, but, then again, looking at his real-life 2012 season, that's not a huge surprise. He has been a lot better since you traded for him, though.

Second Baseman
'84 Ryne Sandberg

Sandberg's season isn't really that bad. First of all, he's only had 262 ABs, so there is a sample size problem here. Second, he's been pretty great in the field. Cthulhu feels like Sandberg should be more dominant, but I'm not so sure. Sunken Ry'leh isn't a great hitters' park and, it must be said, that while Sandberg was the best 2B of his era, his hitting stats aren't really that impressive when compared to guys like Ruth or Williams.

Third Baseman
'64 Ron Santo

The team leader in walks, which is what makes his .236 BA bearable. He's also a good fielder. Santo, just like in real life, is a player that will help you win, but not with gaudy statistics. He's a player that is more than the sum of his parts.

Shortstop
'58 Ernie Banks

I can almost hear Cthulhu's bitching about Banks' hitting in my head right now. Still, he is the best power hitter that the Superstars have had this year and a good fielder at shortstop (not great, but good). When your shortstop is a capable fielder and flashes top-flight power, you can let his mediocre patience and contact slide.

Left Fielder
'64 Billy Williams/'35 Bob Johnson

Williams is doing 90% of the work of this platoon. Frankly, like Riggs Stephenson, I don't understand Cthulhu's attraction to Bob Johnson. I know that, superficially, Johnson looks good, but that ignores the fact that he had a short career and played a good third of it in conditions that only vaguely resembled Major League Baseball (the age of Pete Gray). Even his seven all-star game berths come with an asterisk, because every team had to have at least one representative, and the A's of those years had no other good players. He's not a bad player, I'll grant you, but he's filler in the Super-League.

Center Fielder
'11 Tris Speaker

Great contact, great defense, some patience, and, as a deadball player, he's mostly limited to doubles and triples instead of home runs. He's everything that Tris Speaker is supposed to be, and a great leadoff man.

Right Fielder
'97 Larry Walker/'30 Kiki Cuyler

Amazingly, Walker, along with Williams and Santo, give the Cultists three starters originally from the ill-fated East St. Louis Electrics, who last played in Super-League I and were pretty terrible.

Walker and Cuyler are actually similar in that their hitting numbers in real life were both inflated by the conditions they played in. Cuyler has better contact hitting, but Walker is the better player overall. It's an effective platoon.

Designated Hitter
'30 Rogers Hornsby/'59 Stan Musial

I think that CthulhuDreams will rearrange this for the playoffs, but this is how it stands now.

Both Hornsby and Musial are still great hitters, even at their advanced ages. But neither is really suited to playing in the field for that long, and putting Hornsby at second is going to cause the Cultists' defense to take a big hit, especially when Johnson and Mathewson, groundball pitchers to the extreme, take the mound. On the other hand, Hornsby is probably the best hitter than Cthulhu has, and he deserves to play somewhere.

Musial is in a similar boat, although he is even older than Hornsby and isn't really that much better than Williams or Walker. He probably is suited to remain at DH.

SP1
'22 Walter Johnson

Johnson may be the greatest pitcher of all time, and already has 21 wins on the year. He doesn't have tremendous power, but he's got enough.

SP2
'78 Steve Carlton

Why is Carlton that bad? Well, he really isn't. Carlton's biggest problem is that he isn't as great as Johnson or Mathewson, and that makes him look worse than he is by comparison. His season wasn't great, but it certainly was acceptable.

SP3
'01 Christy Mathewson

He won 21 games with an ERA under 2.00. I know those are both imperfect measures of a pitcher's ability, but they aren't that imperfect. He's going to the win the Cy Young because he's almost certainly the best pitcher in the Super-League this season.

SP4
'04 Pedro Martinez

Let's be honest, Pedro is going to get injured at some point, completely loving up Cthulhu's plans. If not this season, then next season. It's going to happen.

Until, though, he's a very solid fourth starter.

Bench
'90 Robin Yount

The other members of the bench depend on which lineup is being used. As for Yount, he can play several positions, but is a bit too old to play them for any extended period of time. Plus, he isn't a natural platoon partner for Banks, and Speaker shouldn't be a platoon. He's really only their in case of emergency.

Bullpen
CL '09 Joakim Soria
SU '89 Jeff Montgomery
SR '03 Kazuhiro Sasaki
SR '11 Phil Coke
MR '89 Jeff Reardon
LR '11 Frank Smith

Not a good bullpen. Soria is okay, but isn't quite a top-flight closer. Montgomery has had a bad year, and there's no indication he's due to get any better in the post-season. Sasaki has been better for the Cultists than the W's, and might be the best reliever the Cultists have at the moment. Coke is great...as a LOOGY, he's been bad against right-handed hitters. Jeff Reardon is toast. Frank Smith has barely pitched this year, which is good, because he's been awful.

Clinching Game

Don May posted:

BETTER KNOW A CONTENDER: Finger Lakes Phoenixes

Owner: The Merry Marauder
Home Grounds: Ithaqua Field

Team History

You all know Marauder, of course, the only man to have won two different Super-League Championships with two different teams. If he can win with the Phoenixes, that will make three teams, and that would be incredible.

But that's probably not going to happen. Formed in the aftermath of the Doppel-Bangers retirement, the Phoenixes were formed out of the leftover scraps of the feeder team list, and, despite all of Marauder's cleverness, were rather mediocre in their first season. To be honest, they're still deeply mediocre, but someone had to win their division, and the other three teams all self-destructed. They are heavy underdogs this postseason.

The Finger Lakes Phoenixes will play the Ryleh Cultists in the first round of the Smasher League playoffs.

Catcher
'38 Bill Dickey/'06 Mike Piazza

Probably the best pair of hitting catchers of any team in the Smasher League, even if Mike Piazza is too old to play catcher regularly. And getting twenty home runs from your catchers is always good news, even if their defense isn't particularly good.

First Baseman
'38 Lou Gehrig

Gehrig is currently injured, but he'll be back for the playoffs. He's had a down year, but he's had to play in Ithaca, where no one hits well.

There's also the concern that this is a '38 Gehrig, and Mogul has factored in to its calculations that Gehrig's career took a rather abrupt downfall the next year, but there's not a lot you can do about that.

Second Baseman
'96 Roberto Alomar

Alomar's production isn't amazing, which is a theme we'll be hearing a lot when discussing Phoenixes hitters, but it's good enough, and he's a good defender as well.

Third Baseman
'38 Red Rolfe

Marauder had tried to put Bellhorn at 3B to see if he could get anything from this position, but Bellhorn responded by shattering into a million pieces so it looks like Rolfe will reclaim his spot.

Rolfe has had a bad year, but he does have some power (26 2Bs), and is a great fielder. Let's hope that's enough, because Marauder doesn't have many other options at 3B.

Shortstop
'90 Barry Larkin

Just like Alomar, Larkin's numbers don't look all that impressive, but that's decent production from a middle infield spot, and Larkin is a good defender. Again, it's not thrilling, but it works.

Left Fielder
'89 Rickey Henderson

Quintessentially Rickey. Lots of walks, lots of steals, mediocre defense, and a surprisingly poor contact rates. If he was a middle of the lineup guy, you might be in trouble, but Rickey is a leadoff hitter, and while you wish his OBP was a bit higher, he's still stolen 57 bases and drawn 75 walks in a league where walks are hard to come by.

Center Fielder
'21 Max Carey

Max Carey is where you end up when you're out of ideas for what to do at CF. Marauder started the season with Chet Lemon, but that went to hell pretty quickly, and he needed a replacement. Mike Cameron was a possibility, but not a good possibility, and so, much like the Phoenixes and their division, Carey won his position by default. Carey's skill are limited to contact hitting, but at least he's doing a decent job with that.

Right Fielder
'38 Tommy Henrich

This clearly is an experiment that isn't working. At the moment, Henrich will have to do, because Marauder doesn't have a replacement for him, but look for Marauder to try and upgrade this position over the offseason, because young Henrich is just not a winning proposition in right field.

Designated Hitter
'06 Brian Giles

Respectable, if hardly overwhelming numbers. Another position that probably needs to be upgraded badly. As you can tell, the Phoenixes lineup isn't very good, it's just not had a ton of competition.

SP1
'04 Curt Schilling

The best pitcher the Phoenixes have, mainly by virtue of the fact that he's the only one can strike people out. He's actually been a fair bit better than his peripherals suggest. Look for Marauder to try and start him twice in the first round.

SP2
'21 Carl Mays

Control pitching at its finest! Carl Mays is like the anti-Nolan Ryan. He doesn't care about striking hitters out, he doesn't care about giving up hits, but he is not going to give up a walk, and he is not going to give up a home run. In the Super-League, where teams load up on take-and-rake hitters, that will take a pitcher far.

SP3
'79 Don Sutton

Sutton is, for whatever reason, a pitcher that Mogul just loves. I can't remember the last time that someone had a Sutton that didn't have a good season. I would guess that's probably because he's a groundball pitcher with a little bit of power. He's one of the few players that Marauder was allowed to bring over from the Doppels.

SP4
'64 Jim Bunning

The nominal fourth starter at the moment is Gomez, but I don't expect that to last into the playoffs. Bunning, in real life, eventually became a U.S. Senator, who once tried to single-handedly block an extension of unemployment benefits during the most recent recession because he didn't like how it was funded. When other senators, including many from his own party, begged him to reconsider, he responded "Tough poo poo". He was such an rear end in a top hat that the Republican Party effectively forced him to retire because he was too much of an rear end in a top hat even by their standards, which almost seems impossible if you think about it. For all the talk about how bad Cobb and Hornsby and Anson and the like were, at least they never wielded real political power, whereas Bunning did for many years.

He did have a great slider, though.

Bench
'38 Joe Gordon
'04 David Ortiz
'04 Jimmy Rollins
'78 Chet Lemon

Gordon and Rollins are actually pretty good, Marauder just have nowhere to put them, and they aren't really great pinch hitters. Ortiz probably should start at DH, but he didn't do well there when Marauder gave him an audition, and has been riding the pine ever since. Lemon is a 4th outfielder, which is actually a good fit for his skills.

Bullpen
CL '70 Rollie Fingers
SU '06 Trevor Hoffman
SR '06 Scott Linebrink
SR '06 Alan Embree
MR '64 Ed Roebuck
LR '38 Red Ruffing

Let's get real. Fingers is good, even if his playoff history in the Super-League has been legendarily bad. The rest is pretty bad. Hoffman is okay, but he's 38 years old. Linebrink and Embree are filler in real life, and so are significantly worse in the Super-League. Roebuck is not going to be helpful, and Ruffing isn't a reliever at all. A very weak bullpen.

Clinching Game

Team Statistics

Analysis

The duel to the death with the Landers continues. There can be only one.

Analysis

Reggie Jackson hates your guts.

Analysis

Seaver has had a bizarrely good season for a pitcher as old as he is.

Analysis

Not sure how they won, but they did.

Analysis

Williams for Guerrero is certainly an usually bidding strategy.

Analysis

When will the hurting stop?

Analysis

Amazingly, Kim sucks in the Super-League too.

Analysis

Another game sheared off the Bobbleheads' lead. Just one more to go.

Analysis

Kurowski to 3B, Braun to DH.

Analysis

Sorry.

Analysis

The sweet small of salvation!

Analysis

Sorry about this too.

Analysis

Haven't I said enough about your team today?

Analysis

And I've definitely said too much about your team.

Analysis

If your team does survive, you have to fix your offense.

Analysis

I was going to link Police's "Message in a Bottle", but I'm kind of pressed for time, so just sing it to yourself while looking at your statistics.

Standings and Leaders

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hurray, we've won. Good work guys. I like my guys. Except Hornsby. They are good guys. Except Hornsby. Having clinched, it's time to bench anyone important. Sorry smasher for this work I will then ask you to undo in two weeks.

C: Irod - remove any and all personal catching orders Hartnett has.
1B: Williams
2B: Sandberg
3B: Santo
SS: Yount
LF: Johnson
CF: Speaker
RF: Cuyler
DH: Musial/Hornsby Platoon

Batting Order:

Speaker
Musial/Hornsby
Santo
Williams
Sandberg
Johnson
Yount
Irod
Cuyler

Rotation:

Walter Johnson
Steve Carlton
Christy Mathewson
Frank Smith
Ray Collins

Move Pedro to Long Relief.

Turn the let pitchers rack up high pitch counts slider to +0.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 12, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
http://lpix.org/774418/BannerMAD.png

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Kurowski to 3B, Braun to DH.

So it is. So it shall be. In accordance with the prophecy.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

'11 Jack "Action" Lapp: 1932 Ray Kulp + 1964 Mike McCormick

'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero: 2004 Jason Bay + 2004 Craig Wilson + 2004 Raul Mondesi + 1990 Shane Mack + 1990 Scott Erickson

'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay: 1968 Denny McLain + 1964 Earl Wilson + 1932 Eppa Rixey + 1964 Steve Barber + 1968 Don McMahon + 2004 Jose Mesa

'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton: 1968 Norm Cash + 1968 Willie Horton + 1964 Robin Roberts + 1932 Harry Heilman + 1932 Si Johnson + 1990 Kevin Tapani + :siren: 1964 Sweet Lou Piniella :siren: + let me know if I really need to keep adding dudes, I mean dang

'61 Stan "A Man" Williams: 1990 Juan Berenguer + 1990 Terry Leach + 1932 Harvey Hendrick + 1964 Norm Siebern + 1964 Wes Stock

fake e: Yes, Lou Piniella is a joke.

-----

As for the EC:
1) McNally to the DL til he's better, McLain takes his rotation spot. Candy to long relief and Terry Leach in his MR spot.
2) Make sure all sliders are back to normal per this post except stealing bases at -1.
3) Lineups:

vs RHP
CF Kirby Puckett
LF Barry Bonds
1B Kent Hrbek
RF Babe Herman
2B George Grantham
C Bill Freehan
SS Luis Aparicio
3B Brooks Robinson
P

vs LHP
RF Lenny Dykstra
CF Kirby Puckett
1B Kent Hrbek
LF Barry Bonds
C Bill Freehan
3B Brooks Robinson
SS Luis Aparicio
2B George Grantham
P

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 12, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

-----

As for the EC:
1) McNally to the DL til he's better, McLain takes his rotation spot. Candy to long relief and Terry Leach in his MR spot.
2) Make sure all sliders are back to normal per this post except stealing bases at -1.

Surprisingly, I had fixed your sliders!

EC Status update: I was going to do an update today, but it's 9:20 pm here and I only just got home from work. Will have to wait until tommorrow. Sorry guys.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Are EC teams allowed to bid from their feeders, or just players on their roster?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

Are EC teams allowed to bid from their feeders, or just players on their roster?

Yeah, you can bid from your feeders if you're an Expansion team.

Smasher League Week 25 Injury Report

No New Champions

Chicago Bobbleheads
Gary Sheffield (RF) (Can be replaced!) - Out for Season

Comancheros
Mike Stanley (C) (Week off for good behavior) - Out for Season

Ryleh Cultists
Steve Carlton (SP) (That'll teach you to procrastinate on the EC!) - 14 days

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

I will bid every feeder player that is not on my 28-man roster (a grand total of 90 players) for 1997 Derek Jeter.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 12, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Yeah, you can bid from your feeders if you're an Expansion team.

Hallelujah!

More bids then:

2005 Jeff Bagwell and 1992 Rheal Cormier for Travis Hafner

1992 Bob Tewksbury for Jim Delahanty

2011 Marco Scutaro and 2005 Chad Qualls for Bengie Molina

2005 Wandy Rodriguez for John Candelaria

1992 Todd Zeile for Jhonny Peralta

1919 Charlie Hollocher for Happy Felsch

1992 Andres Galarraga, 2011 Clay Buchholz, and 1919 Claude Hendrix for Dwight Evans

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I will bid every feeder player that is not on my 28-man roster (a grand total of 90 players) for 1997 Derek Jeter.

Bruisers gonna Bruise

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BrooklynBruiser posted:

You really like poking the bear don't you?

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Well, if I can use up the unneeded feeder players...

I hereby bid the remainder of the 45 Yankees pitching rotation for the 06 Roy Halladay

(eg. Tiny Bonham, Al Gettel, Monk Dubiel, Hank Borowy, Bill Zuber, Jim Turner, Joe Page, Ken Holcomb, Steve Roser, Atley Donald, Spud Chandler aaand Paul Schreiber)

and every 1957 Red Sox pitcher for the66 Steve Carlton

(so that's Frank Sullivan, Tom Brewer, Willard Nixon, Mike Fornieles, Dave Sisler, Ike Delock, Bob Porterfield, George Susce, Rudy Minarcin, Bob Chakales, Dean Stone, Murray Wall, Frank Baumann, Russ Meyer, Russ Kemerer and good ol' Jack Spring)

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 12, 2012

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

:siren:HAPPY BID FUNTIME HOUR:siren:

For '64 Harmon Killebrew I bid:

code:
'95 Sterling Hitchcock
'95 Don Mattingly 
'95 Jack McDowell
'72 Felipe Alou
'72 Steve Kline
'76 Bob Boone
1 Ratings Challenge 
For '03 Vlad Guerrero I bid:
code:
'76 Jay Johnstone
'76 Dick Allen
'72 Lindy McDaniel
'72 Fred Beene
'95 Tony Fernandez
'95 Bernie Williams
1 Ratings Challenge 

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
If this is how we're gonna do it, then the Providence Barons bid every remaining player on our feeder rosters not on the 28 man roster plus one ratings challenge for '85 Wade Boggs

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

You really like poking the bear don't you?

Mornacale posted:

Bruisers gonna Bruise

I'm starting Jimmy loving Rollins, I need a shortstop!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
The problem with all these bids is that players who will never play in the Super League have less value than even a ratings challenge. Unless they're at least good enough to be a backup, they essentially are worthless

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

blackmongoose posted:

The problem with all these bids is that players who will never play in the Super League have less value than even a ratings challenge. Unless they're at least good enough to be a backup, they essentially are worthless

It's the only advantage we have, it would be stupid not to make use of it.

Though it is pretty rude to make Smasher go through and figure out what is "really" being bid.

Which is why he should accept my bids and not these other jokers'.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

It's the only advantage we have, it would be stupid not to make use of it.

Though it is pretty rude to make Smasher go through and figure out what is "really" being bid.

Which is why he should accept my bids and not these other jokers'.

When I get home from work, I'll do a comprehensive list of players being bid.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

BrooklynBruiser posted:

When I get home from work, I'll do a comprehensive list of players being bid.
I misread that as players being "bad". Although I suppose in this case that's almost entirely the same thing.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Auction

You have to bid specific players, you can't just bid every player on your feeders for someone!

Players on the auction block

Catchers
'98 Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (Ineligible for 16 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '99 Jose Canseco and '99 Fred McGriff (OXB)
'06 Bengie "Not as good as Yadier, better than Jose" Molina
Current Bid: '40 Birdie Tebbetts (CHO)
'11 Jack "Action" Lapp
Current Bid: '18 Slim Love (LUN)

First Basemen
'64 Harmon "Killer" Killebrew
Current Bid: '05 Sterling Hitchcock, '95 Don Mattingly, '95 Jack McDowell, '72 Felipe Alou, '72 Steve Kline, '76 Bob Boone, 1 Ratings Challenge (HAR)
'09 Travis "Pronk" Hafner
Current Bid: '05 Jeff Bagwell, '92 Rheal Cormier (PHF)

Second Basemen
'11 Larry "El Zilcho" Gardner
Current Bid: '68 Jim Rooker, '04 Freddie Sanchez (WEB)
'34 Odell "Bad News" Hale
Current Bid: '32 Estel Crabtree (WEB)
'10 "Thunder" Jim Delahanty
Current Bid: '90 Gary Gaetti (WEB)
'68 Dick "The Downward Spiral" McAuliffe
Current Bid: '68 Dick McAuliffe (WEB)

Third Basemen
'85 Wade "Wade" Boggs
Current Bid: '84 Rick Sutcliffe, 3rd round dispersal draft pick, '28 George Sisler, '74 Charlie Hough, '77 Rico Carty (SJE)
'96 "Doomsday" Matt Williams
Current Bid: '70 Lou Brock, '10 David Aardsma and '98 Bill Spiers (NOM)
'11 David "Deep" Freese
Current Bid: '00 Barry Zito and 1 Ratings Challenge (CHO)
'09 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus
Current Bid: '05 Dan Wheeler (PHF)

Shortstops
'97 Derek "Gift Basket" Jeter (Ineligible for 33 days in the Super-League)
Current Bid: '82 Robin Yount and '65 Bob Allison (CUN)
'09 Jhonny "Spell Check" Peralta
Current Bid: '92 Todd Zeile (PHF)

Left Fielders
'66 Frank "The Thunder God" Robinson
Current Bid: '85 Paul Molitor and '78 Dave Parker (POR)

Center Fielders
'01 Andruw "Name Not Found" Jones (Ineligible for remainder of Super-League VII)
Current Bid: '64 Jackie Brandt, '68 Jim Northup (WEB)
'06 Vernon "Not the dude from Mad Max" Wells
Current Bid: 2 Ratings Challenges (PHF)
'19 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch
Current Bid: '19 Charlie Hollocher (PHF)
'54 Larry "The Team Killer" Doby
Current Bid: 3rd Round Dispersal Draft Pick (NOM)

Right Fielders
'03 Vladimir "How does a walk work?" Guerrero
'75 Dwight "Mr. Naptime" Evans
Current Bid: '92 Andres Galarraga, '11 Clay Buchholz, '19 Claude Hendrix

Starting Pitching
'41 Bucky "Buckford" Walters
Current Bid: '55 Eddie Yost and 1 Ratings Challenge (DUB)
'06 Roy "Doc" Halladay
Current Bid: '64 Jim Bouton, '57 Frank Sullivan, 1 Ratings Challenge (NEA)
'06 A.J. "Depression that Walks like a man" Burnett
Current Bid: '68 Les Cain, '04 Ryan Vogelsong (WEB)
'66 Steve "Sting" Carlton
Current Bid: '97 Larry Walker, '70 Thurman Munson, and '78 Dennis Leonard (LUN)
'98 David "Flash-man" Cone
Current Bid: '66 Brooks Robinson (GOG)
'09 Chris "gently caress the Cardinals" Carpenter
Current Bid: '91 George Bell (CHO)
'78 John "The Candy Man" Candelaria
Current Bid: '05 Wandy Rodriguez (PHF)

Relievers
'61 Stan "A Man" Williams
Current Bid: '89 Jeff Montgomery (RYL)
'01 John "I love New York" Rocker
Current Bid: '04 Salomon Torres, '04 Oliver Perez (WEB)
'86 "The Eternal" Jesse Orosco
Current Bid: '04 Jose Bautista, '90 Brian Harper, a bunch of poo poo that I'm not going to waste my time giving to the Superstars anyway (WEB)
'06 B.J. "The Beej" Ryan
Current Bid: '78 Bill Lee (GOG)
'78 Tug "Tugglesworth" McGraw
Current Bid: '11 Chief Bender (GOG)
'09 Jason "Applesauce" Motte
Current Bid: '64 Joe Adcock and 1 Ratings Challenge (NOM)
'90 Dan "Don Pleasance" Plesac
Current Bid: '98 Bernie Williams (GOG)
'11 "Dead Man" Joaquin Benoit
Current Bid: '32 Ownie Carroll (WEB)

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Urgh, fine, I'll put actual effort into this.

Bid for 1985 Wade Boggs:
1912 King Cole
1978 Reggie Cleveland
1978 Tom Burgmeier
1951 Howie Pollet
1951 Max Lanier
1978 Rick Burleson
1978 George Scott
1951 Enos Slaughter
1912 Chief Wilson
1912 Bobby Byrne
A ratings challenge
Third round dispersal draft pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah, let me be a little more blunt about this. Bidding twenty crappy players is not a better bid than three or four players who might actually be theoretically useful, so if your bid is just dredging up players that you can't imagine ever using on your team, it's probably not going to be a winning bid.