Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Well, it's implied that for all that time he had been more subtlety aiding humanity, and seeing how that turned out in the end he decided that total control was the only way to achieve his ends, and he also had to manage it quickly before the chaos gods found a way to undo his work. The foundation of a 10 thousand old Imperium was set down in just a couple centuries, after all; that's how efficient the method was, even if cruel.

He also didn't count on dying and being unable to actively influence it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Nephilm posted:

Well, it's implied that for all that time he had been more subtlety aiding humanity, and seeing how that turned out in the end he decided that total control was the only way to achieve his ends, and he also had to manage it quickly before the chaos gods found a way to undo his work. The foundation of a 10 thousand old Imperium was set down in just a couple centuries, after all; that's how efficient the method was, even if cruel.

He also didn't count on dying and being unable to actively influence it anymore.

Unless he totally knew he could never succeed because chaos=entropy and figured that 10K+ years of endless GRIMDARK and DECAY is the best humanity could hope for.

I really wish the concept of the emperor was addressed by a really good author to set it all in stone (or at least as close to stone as good writing gets). What there is on him is so inconsistent its hard to have a solid discussion without stepping into territory that is fanwanky as all hell or just plain inconsistent.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nephilm posted:

Well, total control is one thing, but it also counts what you do with it. To go with my Old Testament comparison, it's the difference between Jesus coming back and saying 'no, really, you do need to love one another and do unto others as you want them to do unto you, and this time I'm sticking around to make sure you do it,' or coming back and saying 'You know what, my dad was right, we're going to go back to the plan of killing and enslaving the tribes in the next valley over.'

(As an aside, isn't it implied somewhere that the entity known as the Emperor literally was Jesus at one point in his career?)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JerryLee posted:

The Emperor isn't just a bad dad, he's a really bad savior, too. His grand master plan to keep humanity from falling under the sway of Chaos seems to have amounted to 'prohibition, ignorance, and xenophobia' which even I, with the benefit of about 28 fewer millennia of human history to look back on, could have told you was a horrible idea.

He's a very Old Testament sort of leader, which actually makes sense given the (if it's still canon) story of his origin as the product of prehistoric tribal shamans. Still doesn't explain why he didn't learn anything since then though.

One theory I've heard (and the one I subscribe to) is that since the warp is a reflection of the thoughts of every sentient in the galaxy, it's possible to influence it by controlling the thoughts of sentients. So what sentients believe essentially becomes fact, god's exist because we believe in them. This is sort of how ork science works, it's complete bollocks but it works because the orks, who are a gestalt, believe it works.

So the Emperor set out to destroy every sentient species in the galaxy that wasn't humanity, so that he could directly control what exists in the warp. If humanity stops believing in gods, the chaos gods disappear.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Demiurge4 posted:

One theory I've heard (and the one I subscribe to) is that since the warp is a reflection of the thoughts of every sentient in the galaxy, it's possible to influence it by controlling the thoughts of sentients. So what sentients believe essentially becomes fact, god's exist because we believe in them. This is sort of how ork science works, it's complete bollocks but it works because the orks, who are a gestalt, believe it works.

So the Emperor set out to destroy every sentient species in the galaxy that wasn't humanity, so that he could directly control what exists in the warp. If humanity stops believing in gods, the chaos gods disappear.

Khorne doesn't give a poo poo if you believe in him or not.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
None of them do. They're vague existences created by aligned ideas/emotions, not by specific believes in themselves; as long as you're doing something aligned to their natures, it empowers them and they care little if you're doing it intentionally.

Daemons are more invested in belief and praise on themselves though, for the sake of maintaining individuality, while doing things in name of their patron gods to gain favor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Going by the old Fantasy fluff, Khorne isn't the god of war etc so much as he's just one of the many daemons that draw power from it, but he's managed to beat up all the other ones and impose his will on them.

Sephyr posted:

I felt that was a very clever twist as well, a decent take on the whole "bring about the prophecy you fear" theme otherwise known as the Anakin-Padmé Gambit. :downs:
It worries me that this may be society's best understanding of this concept now.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Unless he totally knew he could never succeed because chaos=entropy and figured that 10K+ years of endless GRIMDARK and DECAY is the best humanity could hope for.

I really wish the concept of the emperor was addressed by a really good author to set it all in stone (or at least as close to stone as good writing gets). What there is on him is so inconsistent its hard to have a solid discussion without stepping into territory that is fanwanky as all hell or just plain inconsistent.

I remember one book (but forgot exactly which one) that sort of states that basically the Emperor was being a harsh dick early on to build a lasting foundation from which to oversee humanity as it crossed an evolutionary treshold and became more warp-resistant, at which point things would gradually improve.

But yes, inconsistency across authors is annoying as hell.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nephilm posted:

None of them do. They're vague existences created by aligned ideas/emotions, not by specific believes in themselves; as long as you're doing something aligned to their natures, it empowers them and they care little if you're doing it intentionally.

Perhaps the Emperor's plan was to empower Khorne to the point where he'd kill every other Chaos power, then himself. :downs:

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Isn't it implied in the fluff somewhere that Zeech creates plans that could end the war but then works against those plans so that the war against Chaos marches on because once Humanity falls the universe wouldn't change any more and he'd lose power. Could have swore I read that in the fluff some where when reading up on the thousand sons but now can't find it.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Also, I don't know how ADB's take on Angron will be for Betrayer, but the short story After De'shea on Tales of Heresy (alongside Blood Games by Dan Abnett) is pretty good.

After De'shea
is one of my favourite 40k stories. I'd like to see what Matthew Farrer could have done with a full novel, but ADB seems like he will do it justice.

I just finished Prince of Crows, and it really is the best thing. Sevatar is such a dude. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

EyeRChris posted:

Isn't it implied in the fluff somewhere that Zeech creates plans that could end the war but then works against those plans so that the war against Chaos marches on because once Humanity falls the universe wouldn't change any more and he'd lose power. Could have swore I read that in the fluff some where when reading up on the thousand sons but now can't find it.
I've read this before, but I forgot the source too :(

Anyway, what's the worst BL cover you've seen, guys? I was looking at the BL website and saw this, which has some of the more hilarious proportions BL cover art could offer.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I've read this before, but I forgot the source too :(

Anyway, what's the worst BL cover you've seen, guys? I was looking at the BL website and saw this, which has some of the more hilarious proportions BL cover art could offer.

Most of the Heresy books have terrible CG covers. They'd get my vote. All of them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schneider Heim posted:

That one is famously terrible.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

EyeRChris posted:

I'm pretty sure a daemon made that point in some short story. Not really a trustworthy source.

Basically, Chaos is Chaos. Trying to 'humanize' the Gods by applying intent and desires doesn't really work. Tzeentch does what 'he' does because that's literally all 'he' knows how to do, and the same applies to the rest of the Gods. I like to think that whenever the books actually depict the Gods themselves, it's not actually the God, but some Greater Daemon doing his own thing. The Gods are after all amalgams of select thoughts and emotions from the collective psyche of all sentient races in the galaxy. Viewing them as individuals in our sense of the word doesn't really work for me.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I flipped through the new Forgeworld Horus Heresy book. Lots of good information in there along with some awesome pictures of Legio Astartes Marines.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, Sandy Mitchell (he of the Ciaphas Cain stories) had a couple of books about an inquistorial warband, which ended on a cliffhanger. I expected the third book to come out, but it seems the previous two don't even exist on BL's site anymore. Anybody know what's going on?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, Sandy Mitchell (he of the Ciaphas Cain stories) had a couple of books about an inquistorial warband, which ended on a cliffhanger. I expected the third book to come out, but it seems the previous two don't even exist on BL's site anymore. Anybody know what's going on?

They were published years ago. You probably won't see the conclusion.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Most of the Heresy books have terrible CG covers. They'd get my vote. All of them.
The later ones are an improvement, like Know No Fear and Shadows of Treachery. I can't look at Horus Rising without laughing at the long-haired metal guys in Astartes armor, though.

There's one I particularly dislike: The Soul Drinkers omnibus cover. That sneer...

quote:

I was planning to buy those! :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I liked Mitchell's short story about the Arbites and the Administratum Adept in the Sabbat Worlds anthology. I wish he would do more of those.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Legion of the Damned: skip the first 2/3rds of the book and read the last third.

I don't understand the thought process with that book. The first third, with all that garbage about the Scourge and all the grumbling and "crabby" looks (seriously? A Space Marine being described as crabby? "Get off my space lawn, you Xenos kids!") was completely boring and was not needed for the book at all. You could have had a solid novella with just the final prep and battle.

It seems to me like Rob Sanders had a good story, then BL decided they wanted to make an entire Space Marines Battles novel, so they told him to flesh out the Scourge. Bleh.

Despite my dislike of the first 2/3rds, I really did like the last part of the book. The way the LotD and their weapons phase in and out of reality was pretty clever.

On a related note, were we to infer that LotD Marines deploy via some sort of drop coffin? If so, that is pretty drat cool.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Hhaha poo poo I always thought Sandy Mitchell was a woman and often wondered how she would have handled fans in GW stores.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Schneider Heim posted:

I was planning to buy those! :(

I'd say buy them anyway. But just expect to be hearing a lot of dice rolling in the back of your head as they read a lot like Dark Heresy adventures. They are kinda like the 40k equivalent to the first Dragonlance books. Or at least I keep thinking of them as such. Just a tad bit better.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

berzerkmonkey posted:

:words: Legion of the Damned :words:

You pretty nailed what my opinion of that book was, as for your last spoiler bit I wasn't so sure about the drop coffins, I felt that the LOTD were essentially everywhere/nowhere at once, the coffins were just some kind of tradition or artistic license from the author or some such (they had the date the marine died on it I think). They're ability to phase on the battlefield, and the scourge seeing one following him about (who was actually "there") led me to that conclusion but I can have the intelligence of an ork when it comes to "getting it" with some BL authors.

I was more interested in what ship the lotd had with them, if I recall the book says the defence monitor captain said it dwarfed the battleship class vessels in the chaos armada, I've never heard of anything bigger than a battleship before with the one or two exceptions (black stone fortess/phalanx), but then the book had a system defence force monitor manage to destroy several astartes strike cruisers, so who knows. Oh, the scrouge gladius/dornsblade switcheroo was also dumb as all hell.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 13, 2012

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I really like what they're doing with the cover for the Ravenor vs Eisenhorn trilogy. The metal art and the reflective red surface for Pariah is cool and all, but they run with that and make it even more badass for Penitent as I'm sure those of you who read Pariah have already seen at the back of the book.

Not a spoiler, just :rock:

I didn't even realize that the faces in the middle of Pariah were not mirrored before I saw that sketch and took a closer look on the original. Many goosebumps were had during this little discovery.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 14, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rocket_Magnet posted:

You pretty nailed what my opinion of that book was, as for your last spoiler bit I wasn't so sure about the drop coffins, I felt that the LOTD were essentially everywhere/nowhere at once, the coffins were just some kind of tradition or artistic license from the author or some such (they had the date the marine died on it I think). They're ability to phase on the battlefield, and the scourge seeing one following him about (who was actually "there") led me to that conclusion but I can have the intelligence of an ork when it comes to "getting it" with some BL authors.

I was more interested in what ship the lotd had with them, if I recall the book says the defence monitor captain said it dwarfed the battleship class vessels in the chaos armada, I've never heard of anything bigger than a battleship before with the one or two exceptions (black stone fortess/phalanx), but then the book had a system defence force monitor manage to destroy several astartes strike cruisers, so who knows. Oh, the scrouge gladius/dornsblade switcheroo was also dumb as all hell.

From some wiki:

quote:

After being nearly driven to extinction during the Badab War, the Fire Hawks' mobile fortress-monastery, the ancient Void Fortress Rapturous Rex, was lost in the Warp in 963.M41. It is now believed that the survivors of this disaster became the cursed Astartes known collectively as the Legion of the Damned.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The more information there is about the Legion the less awesome they get :smith:

Also, losing more than one Strike Cruiser is kind of crippling for a chapter.... wow.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

The more information there is about the Legion the less awesome they get :smith:

Also, losing more than one Strike Cruiser is kind of crippling for a chapter.... wow.
From Lexicanum:

quote:

History

The Fire Hawks have long been a byword for devastation and wrath. In their history they have seen great victories, bloody deeds and terrible reversals, being one of only a very few Chapters on record known to have survived the destruction of two separate home worlds, and being brought back from the brink of extinction many times.

The Chapter itself claims antecedence from the renowned Ultramarines gene-seed, although certain defects and variations in the samples held in the archives of the Adeptus Terra speak against this, and the Lords of Macragge have never publicly acknowledged kinship.

Notable Battles

The Fire Hawks have also long been notably embroiled deeply in the wars of the Age of Apostasy. In one of their first actions they fought alongside the Black Templars, Imperial Fists, Soul Drinkers, and the Martian Skitarii against Goge Vandire. They did not escape unscathed, as during these battles their homeworld of Zhoros was destroyed by Thermal Bombs. At the conclusion of the Age of Apostasy they were rewarded for their actions in his support by Sebastian Thor himself, who issued them with the right to use the Great Crusade-era mobile void-fortress, Raptorous Rex as their fortress monastery. The Fire Hawks became a fleet-based chapter as a result.

They were also the first loyalist Chapter to become engaged in the Badab War after one of their vessels, the Red Harbinger was attacked and captured by the Mantis Warriors in 904.M41. The Fire Hawks quickly became fully engaged in the conflict, with an effective frontline brethren fighting strength of 86%, a projected Chapter maximum at the start of the war. Despite the power of their fleet, the Fire Hawks suffered terrible losses in the early years of the war, both in terms of battle-brethren and vessels. Eventually casualties reduced the Chapter's effective strength to an estimated 22% by the war's third year, and Lazaerek was forced to bow to Loyalist command pressure to withdraw his remaining forces or risk his Chapter's extinction. The Chapter was relegated to the sidelines until the very closing stages of the war when Lazaerek successfully petitioned the Loyalist Command for his Chapter's involvement again in the fight, and the star-fortress Raptorus Rex, the single-most powerful warship in the Maelstrom Zone, was used as a lynchpin of the Angstrom blockade.

Disappearance of the Fire Hawks

The beginning of the end came when the Fire Hawks were called to the Crows World subsector in 963.M41 to deal with Dark Eldar Pirates. The entire chapter fleet, as well as the Raptorus Rex, attempted a warp jump from the Piraeus system, 120 light years from Crows World. The space fortress, five ships, over 800 brethren and 2,000 other personnel were expected to reach Crows World within no more than 12 hours. They never arrived.

In 983.M41 the chapter was officially declared lost in the warp and assumed destroyed. The Bell of Lost Souls tolled a thousand times, and it is said that the Emperor himself ordered a black candle to be lit in the Chapel of Fallen Heroes.

Rumours fed by a long line of coincidences have been said by conspiracy theorists to implicate the Officio Assassinorum in the loss of the Fire Hawks' fleet, though nothing has ever been substantiated.

Basically, they're Cursed Founding, which means they're super unlucky for some mysterious reason. I always found that to be an amusing bit of fluff fun, myself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, but I remember when they were "Yeah, they're Space Marines in black armour with fire and even MORE skulls. They turn up sometimes and kill poo poo and then just vanish. I don't know either" and they hadn't really bothered to go any more into depth with it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, but I remember when they were "Yeah, they're Space Marines in black armour with fire and even MORE skulls. They turn up sometimes and kill poo poo and then just vanish. I don't know either" and they hadn't really bothered to go any more into depth with it.

Actually, they started off with the cool fluff, then GW decided to gloss over that for some reason. I think, for a time, GW had lost all its creative people and were focusing on dumbing everything down. Black Library is a good thing - they're using creative people to expand and detail the universe.

One of the fluffy bits was that all of the Chapter's officers had died, so now the highest ranking Marines were sergeants. One of the sergeants, Centurius, carried a skull (an officer's - you can tell by the service studs) around that would suck an enemy's soul and resurrect a LotD Marine.

Plus, it was always cool to see a page in WD or something that showed different chapter paint schemes, and the Fire Hawks were always partially hidden with some ominous "stamped" warning like "Classified: Lost in the Warp. See cross ref. datafile 9456.35324M re: Reported sightings" or something. It kind of gave an air of mystery to them - you knew something was going on, but weren't quite sure if there was a link between them and the LotD.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

Actually, they started off with the cool fluff, then GW decided to gloss over that for some reason. I think, for a time, GW had lost all its creative people and were focusing on dumbing everything down. Black Library is a good thing - they're using creative people to expand and detail the universe.

One of the fluffy bits was that all of the Chapter's officers had died, so now the highest ranking Marines were sergeants. One of the sergeants, Centurius, carried a skull (an officer's - you can tell by the service studs) around that would suck an enemy's soul and resurrect a LotD Marine.

Plus, it was always cool to see a page in WD or something that showed different chapter paint schemes, and the Fire Hawks were always partially hidden with some ominous "stamped" warning like "Classified: Lost in the Warp. See cross ref. datafile 9456.35324M re: Reported sightings" or something. It kind of gave an air of mystery to them - you knew something was going on, but weren't quite sure if there was a link between them and the LotD.

Also, they were in the fanboy feedback loop, where their new intake was already fanboys of the franchise. Which is fine, except the one thing fanboys crave is resolution for all the unanswered questions, since this is part of how you entice fans to keep reading. But, like most things, it's better to want something than to actually have it, and what happens is that the fun bits that caught the eye of the fan who's now working there get turned to mush.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:black101:

Just publish it already, we don't care if it's edited or proof-read, goddamnit!

Count me in for Team Eisenhorn. I love Ravenor as a character and a concept, but I'm sticking with the old coot until proven wrong.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, they were in the fanboy feedback loop, where their new intake was already fanboys of the franchise. Which is fine, except the one thing fanboys crave is resolution for all the unanswered questions, since this is part of how you entice fans to keep reading. But, like most things, it's better to want something than to actually have it, and what happens is that the fun bits that caught the eye of the fan who's now working there get turned to mush.

This is why the LotD book is so good. It answers basically nothing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Apparently this is the first ever reference to them, but it's clearly just a lame "marines what am a bit wrong but bettar at being marines" article rather than the later ghost marines they turned into, followed by way, WAY too much adding to it. Centrius was already later than when I got bored of them IIRC.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Donnerberg posted:

I really like what they're doing with the cover for the Ravenor vs Eisenhorn trilogy. The metal art and the reflective red surface for Pariah is cool and all, but they run with that and make it even more badass for Penitent as I'm sure those of you who read Pariah have already seen at the back of the book.

Not a spoiler, just :rock:

I didn't even realize that the faces in the middle of Pariah were not mirrored before I saw that sketch and took a closer look on the original. Many goosebumps were had during this little discovery.

That is indeed some awesome artwork.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Apparently this is the first ever reference to them, but it's clearly just a lame "marines what am a bit wrong but bettar at being marines" article rather than the later ghost marines they turned into, followed by way, WAY too much adding to it. Centrius was already later than when I got bored of them IIRC.
Wait - you don't think that original article was cool? Especially considering the fact that it was from 1988, back when the only difference in Space Marine Chapters was that they wore different colors and 40K was essentially a weird roleplaying/miniatures amalgam that used deodorant-containers as Land Speeders?

As for "ghost Marines", that is a brand new thing with the LotD book - they were always portrayed as having some warp-borne illness. Nothing was ever added or expounded upon regarding the LotD until now. The only thing GW did was to allow you to take a full army of them (which was completely lame.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's just berzerkers but different, or Blood Angels but the same (but still different). The ghost thing turned up in late 2nd ed, when they first released specific LotD minis. It was mostly in the fluff text of the rules, but it was there.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So I just finished Pariah, and was left confused by something that I assume was supposed to be a significant character reveal at the end. Who is Alpharius? The way it was presented I assume I was supposed to recognize that character, but I didn't. For context, I've read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses, the first Gaunt's Ghosts book, and Brotherhood of the Snake. I haven't read any of the Horus Heresy books.

EDIT: To clarify, a little googling provided me some information on who that is, but I'm not understanding the connection in the book. Perhaps I'm not meant to?

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 15, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
All Alpha Legion marines identify themselves as Alpharius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I just finished Pariah, and was left confused by something that I assume was supposed to be a significant character reveal at the end. Who is Alpharius? The way it was presented I assume I was supposed to recognize that character, but I didn't. For context, I've read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses, the first Gaunt's Ghosts book, and Brotherhood of the Snake. I haven't read any of the Horus Heresy books.

EDIT: To clarify, a little googling provided me some information on who that is, but I'm not understanding the connection in the book. Perhaps I'm not meant to?

Going to spoiler this in case someone hasnt read Eisenhorn (Cant imagine who if you are reading this thread but hey) Like Neph said, all Alpha Legion marines identify themselves as that. They are one of the Traitor marine chapters. The whole point was to show just how far Eisenhorn has fallen and just what he will use/ally with etc "For the good of the Imperium". Because having a Daemonhost in his thrall just isn't enough.